Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
This has to go to an election I think, more time gives Johnson room to do back room deals to secure support for his agreement, even if it does give more time for scrutiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

That's a doughed-up cloaca tumbling.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
jfc this job i expected to start on the 1st that has constantly been pushed back because the recruiters claim i haven't sent them certain documents that i have constantly loving called to check do you actually loving have it do I start say they still don't have some and I won't be starting monday. Apparently a dbs check hasn't come back and I started this whole process at the end of august ffs

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Eggy in the basket.

*distant annoyed rumblings from the direction of Northampton*

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

DesperateDan posted:

Such as this morning's wonderful treat could be equally called a fried egg slice or egg in a basket to me, but "bullseye eggs", "eggs in a frame", "egg in a hole", "gashouse eggs", "gasthaus eggs", "hole in one", "one-eyed Jack", "one-eyed Pete", "pirate's eye" and "popeye" are all other names for it according to google

I call it porridge myself.

Also that truck news is horrendous.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Isn't that how most words come about anyway? I mean baguette is derived from "stick" in French so if we invented it ourselves I'm sure we'd call it longbread anyway. Croissant is literally crescent, they named it after what shape it is, it's not like they pulled a new word out of their rear end.

This is exactly why I refer to avocados as ballbags, which captures the spirit and intent of the original word in Nahuatl.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Rustybear posted:

He's being lined up for one of the safe seats vacated by Tory MPs being chucked out; they're keeping it under wraps as long as possible to stymie the local 'get boris' campaign. He'll not be re-elected in Uxbridge.

What's your source for this?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are any Tories in safe seats stepping down? Would any of them give up their seat for Bojo? Not saying it won't happen, but it basically concedes Uxbridge and is a really bad look.

Do you think Bojo cares? ;)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I call eggs on toast 'eggs on toast' and now I'm sad that Ive been missing out on all these cool names.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vlex posted:

This is exactly why I refer to avocados as ballbags, which captures the spirit and intent of the original word in Nahuatl.
Ah, yes, abogado.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
https://twitter.com/elliotttimes/status/1186950667354681346

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rust Martialis posted:

My mum called them toad-in-the-hole, but a quick Google informs me she was dead wrong.

That's what my spouse's grandmother called them as well, so there's obviously some etymology that didn't make it onto the googles somewhere

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

What

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
under this Corbyn mask it's actually... Old Man Clegg!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

coffeetable posted:

under this Corbyn mask it's actually... Old Man Clegg!

And it would have worked, if not for those meddling yids!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
I mean, Corbs did offer this last night, and he does love a good sit-down and chin wag, sooo

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1186957147361497088?s=20

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Hey comrades I have a crucially important question on British culture

Every place I’ve ordered a Full English so far, when it comes with toast, it’s almost always just one piece of toast, but you’ve got enough butter and beans to cover at least two toasts

Am I supposed to spread the butter on the toast and then put the beans on it? Or are they just being stingy fucks?
I did get like three pieces of toast in Scotland which was nice and should be the norm I think - enough toast to allow for all techniques

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Jedit posted:

:stare:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Fried Bregg.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Pochoclo posted:

Every place I’ve ordered a Full English so far, when it comes with toast, it’s almost always just one piece of toast, but you’ve got enough butter and beans to cover at least two toasts

Am I supposed to spread the butter on the toast and then put the beans on it? Or are they just being stingy fucks?
I did get like three pieces of toast in Scotland which was nice and should be the norm I think - enough toast to allow for all techniques

sounds stingy to me, I think every full English has had at least two slices

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

sounds stingy to me, I think every full English has had at least two slices

Or one slice of toast and one of fried bread (beans go on the fried slice)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

jfc this job i expected to start on the 1st that has constantly been pushed back because the recruiters claim i haven't sent them certain documents that i have constantly loving called to check do you actually loving have it do I start say they still don't have some and I won't be starting monday. Apparently a dbs check hasn't come back and I started this whole process at the end of august ffs

Those things can take forever - up to 12 weeks I've heard - and with the start of a school term not so far back, there's probably a big queue.
If you haven't already, as soon as you can sign up for the 'updating' service. Costs £13 p.a. but worth it.

(Having found myself in catch-22 for an enhanced DBS: No DBS = No work from agencies, No employer to apply = No DBS . When, after many moons, I did manage to get one for a job that ended up not happening because the place closed down before I started - I've made sure to keep it up Why on earth people can't have these things done for themselves I do not know, same information sources, same official channels.)

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Pochoclo posted:

At the place I work in Manchester we'll give you two slices by default, but we're supposed to be an upmarket, expensive restaurant (we're actually poo poo) and not a greasy spoon

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ms Fuchi posted:

At the place I work in Manchester we'll give you two slices by default, but we're supposed to be an upmarket, expensive restaurant (we're actually poo poo) and not a greasy spoon

petit-déjeuner anglais complet

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jedit posted:

:lol:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

https://twitter.com/elliotttimes/status/1186953068467965952

Spencer is the CON chief whip. Who is Brown?

e: oh the LAB chief whip, no duh

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pochoclo posted:

Oh come on, you know where the beans go.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Those things can take forever - up to 12 weeks I've heard - and with the start of a school term not so far back, there's probably a big queue.
If you haven't already, as soon as you can sign up for the 'updating' service. Costs £13 p.a. but worth it.

(Having found myself in catch-22 for an enhanced DBS: No DBS = No work from agencies, No employer to apply = No DBS . When, after many moons, I did manage to get one for a job that ended up not happening because the place closed down before I started - I've made sure to keep it up Why on earth people can't have these things done for themselves I do not know, same information sources, same official channels.)

well it should have been started beginning of september. just extremely loving frustrating that I apparently will not be starting work yet again despite my constant contact to make sure they've got stuff

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I don't see this negotiation as incompatible with a plan to get an election going during the extension; if anything, agreeing on a WAB timetable that's three weeks would guarantee the January extension and then it will be easier to get the extension from the EU27 if there's an existing framework in which to debate and possibly pass (and amend!) the WAB. But that does not in any way preclude an election being triggered to bring a second referendum to the table with a different Parliament.

Especially since Corbyn already said he's happy to negotiate a timetable. Going "gently caress you" right now would make it easy to cast him as the reason the process gets stopped (and might even cause the EU to waver on granting an extension, causing No Deal Brexit) instead of Boris throwing a tantrum.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Oh come on, you know where the beans go.

You can recognise a posh place cause they give you the tin of beans instead of putting them on the plate, like the do with a can of coke in a jack&coke.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jose posted:

well it should have been started beginning of september. just extremely loving frustrating that I apparently will not be starting work yet again despite my constant contact to make sure they've got stuff

As pointed out, there’s a 12 week window for vetting to be completed (source- used to be vetting officer at an old job). Hell, about 13 years ago I applied for a job with G4S in February, got offered a confirmed role subject to vetting in late March and actually started mid July. Vetting takes a while, and it’s not just up to the hiring company- I had to pass on several promising applicants when their former employers or referees didn’t bother replying to me within the window in spite of repeated chasing.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Jedit posted:

Goddamn :laffo:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Waiting eagerly for it to be revealed that in the meeting Cummings stepped on a rake, smashing himself in the face and falling backwards into Boris causing them both to collapse into a tactically placed pile of poo poo.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

This PMQs is such a trainwreck.

In a good way.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jose posted:

I do understand your frustration.

Do you have a reference number at all you could check progress with the DBS place and see when the new job actually submitted it? https://www.gov.uk/guidance/track-a-dbs-application

Seems you can get your own basic DBS check quite quickly from this company (NOT the official DBS place) https://www.disclosureandbarringservice.co.uk/

Obviously no good if you need enhanced.

Or maybe look for another job.

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

Ms Fuchi posted:

The correct way is however The Koffee Pot does it.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

We called that thing "bready-egg-with-a-hole-in-the-middle" when I was a kid, no joke. But then, Cork people have always been extremely literal.

https://twitter.com/Royal__Yellow/status/1077652610923094018?s=19

My partner from Manchester was over last week and they got a chip butty from a chip shop. They were amused and delighted that they were given it in a baguette and not two slices of bread. I was surprised they would assume that a chip shop would just serve that!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

If it's not fried bread it's wrong.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Swap out the beans for an extra slice of bread. I mean, a full English is glorious, but beans for breakfast is vile.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ms Fuchi posted:

The only good restaurant in Manchester was a greasy spoon, the one just off St Peter's Square. It's gone now, sadly.