Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its not just the dbs check its the fact i sent them bank statements to prove i was on benefits and they're claiming no proof of address

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Jose posted:

its not just the dbs check its the fact i sent them bank statements to prove i was on benefits and they're claiming no proof of address

Some employers/agencies are dickish about this and say you can’t use the same piece of evidence for more than one thing. Can you print off/have you got a physical copy of a gas bill or something you can provide in addition?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

That's what my spouse's grandmother called them as well, so there's obviously some etymology that didn't make it onto the googles somewhere

From Sanquhar, near Dumfries.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pesmerga posted:

Some employers/agencies are dickish about this and say you can’t use the same piece of evidence for more than one thing. Can you print off/have you got a physical copy of a gas bill or something you can provide in addition?

i took in my tax refund form when I visited in person lol

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

petit-déjeuner anglais complet

Hele engelsk morgenmad, tak

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Jose posted:

i took in my tax refund form when I visited in person lol

In that case they’re just poo poo, I’m sorry you’re going through that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

painted into a coroner posted:

My partner from Manchester was over last week and they got a chip butty from a chip shop. They were amused and delighted that they were given it in a baguette and not two slices of bread. I was surprised they would assume that a chip shop would just serve that!

:confused: A butty is very specifically two slices of buttered bread, as in a regular sandwich, what maniac would make a chip butty with a longbread?

I keep thinking that I want to go back and visit the South again sometimes, but at times like this I just don't know.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Death to chip shops that use burger buns for butties.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I feel for all of those who haven't had a roll and chips in a Morton's roll.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Tsietisin posted:

Don't care about Wendy's. Let me know when In-n-Out burger comes to the UK.

A bit late for this but In-N-Out burger is overtly Christian :colbert:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

My partner from Manchester was over last week and they got a chip butty from a chip shop. They were amused and delighted that they were given it in a baguette and not two slices of bread. I was surprised they would assume that a chip shop would just serve that!

deviant europeans corrupting british heritage

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

Please do not let Peter Singer eat the children.

(Isn't double effect usually used mostly to discuss very late term abortions that are a matter of threat to life, the type of thing that doctors in NI faced prosecution for until yesterday, rather than access to early termination as a right?)
My point was about how the doctrine of double effect is stupid and can only make sense in theoretical philosophy circles. The fact that people used it to justify anything in medicine is a mind boggingly bad artifact of our past and needs to be argued against because it can justify some really horrible poo poo. The philosophers on the abortion committee can argue for much better reasons like (I think) Judith Jarvis Thompson's positions from about 30 years ago that allow abortions even if we assume the fetus is a person. The debate has moved on since then as well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rust Martialis posted:

Hele engelsk morgenmad, tak
:hmmyes:

Lord of the Llamas posted:

In my name they will cast In-N-Out burgers.

e: ^^ I think Sophie Lewis has said similar things recently, I just didn't think anyone was using double effect to justify abortion prior to viability, whether it's a good argument or not.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 23, 2019

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I went to High School with one of the kids of the family that owns it, and yeah they are all in on the “Christlike business” thing.

That being said, they treat their employees very well and don’t do the kind of discriminatory stuff that Chik-fil-a does.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Swinson does it again:

https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1186956577699446784?s=20

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

At least she’s getting absolutely bodied in the replies. From all directions, as far as I can see.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
anything interesting from PMQ's? I couldn't handle the posh braying and had to switch it off

rorst beef

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Boris is still banging on about 31st October. That can't really happen now, can it?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

anything interesting from PMQ's? I couldn't handle the posh braying and had to switch it off

rorst beef

I’m the liver sosage

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

rorst beef

Bojo pretty much told Blackford that Scottish Parliament doesn't matter.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Guavanaut posted:

e: ^^ I think Sophie Lewis has said similar things recently, I just didn't think anyone was using double effect to justify abortion prior to viability, whether it's a good argument or not.

It doesn't matter tbh, if you're using DDE to justify anything, you can use it to justify blowing up terrorist HQs as long as you don't intend to blow up that children's hospital which is also by coincidence the same building. It's a vile, and really loving stupid argument and shouldn't be used for anything imo. You need a decent grounding to argue for complex things like late term abortion and DDE isn't it.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Someone was whining to Boris about his bribe of a dukedom not having come through yet.

Yeah I turned it off at that point too.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Is this election happening and is Labour dead yet? I'm still so loving confused about everything.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

RockyB posted:

Someone was whining to Boris about his bribe of a dukedom not having come through yet.

Yeah I turned it off at that point too.

This is an event from Crusader Kings 2 and I claim my £5.

Venomous posted:

Is this election happening and is Labour dead yet? I'm still so loving confused about everything.

Not yet on both accounts.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1186960052864851973

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
by more delay, I assume they mean "won't just rush the bill through".

I love the Tories' method of negotiating - "we want to do what we were going to do anyway. no? ok. end of negotiations."

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Please enjoy this party political broadcast (nws audio)

https://imgur.com/gallery/gSnpZyz

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/marilucia2019/status/1186971969259999232

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

A Scots Fisheries guy asked a good question (I know, I'm surprised too) on the fact that Scotland and Northern Ireland will be subject to different customs arrangements under Johnson's deal, yet the two countries will be fishing in the same waters, and what will be done about it. Johnson wasn't expecting something like this and was lost for words for a few seconds, obviously rattled, and then lapsed into a stock answer of how Scotland will Benefit Greatly! Fantastic Opportunities and Freedom for Scotland's Fisheries!

EDIT: It was Brendan O'Hara of the SNP, around 12:30 if anyone wants to see it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

It doesn't matter tbh, if you're using DDE to justify anything, you can use it to justify blowing up terrorist HQs as long as you don't intend to blow up that children's hospital which is also by coincidence the same building. It's a vile, and really loving stupid argument and shouldn't be used for anything imo. You need a decent grounding to argue for complex things like late term abortion and DDE isn't it.
The only reason that it really entered into medical ethics in the first place was due to the euthanasia debate after R v Adams hanging in the air during the Abortion Act debates, and so it entered as a specifically medical exception. There's plenty of other things that have specific medical exceptions, like the law frowns upon me cutting people or irradiating them with high energy electrons for some reason, but if we revisited euthanasia under the banner of informed consent like the Benelux countries have then there's a good chance that we could get rid of it.

(Also Bodkin Adams seems really iffy even if "eventually the amount of morphine you will need to control your pain will exceed the lethal dose" is an important ethical issue.)

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
https://twitter.com/Casmilus/status/1186934261993148417

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

:confused: A butty is very specifically two slices of buttered bread, as in a regular sandwich, what maniac would make a chip butty with a longbread?

I keep thinking that I want to go back and visit the South again sometimes, but at times like this I just don't know.

Someone with taste :colbert:

I've never ordered a chip butty that wasn't served in a baguette and I would rather I keep it that way.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

coffeetable posted:

deviant europeans corrupting british heritage

Whenever I see this I get extremely confused at chicken salad being the most expensive thing there when there's beef and veal and poo poo.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I've never ordered a chip butty that wasn't served in a baguette and I would rather I keep it that way.

Not a chip butty.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Plank Sanction posted:

The correct way is however The Koffee Pot does it.

I must've eaten hundreds of breakfasts there when it was still in Stevenson Square. Still have the coffee mug I bought from them too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Chip butty: chips between two slices of buttered white bread.
Chip cob: chips served in a small bread, whatever we're calling that, usually buttered but optional.
Chip :wtc:: chips served in a baguette.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

xtothez posted:

Please enjoy this party political broadcast (nws audio)

https://imgur.com/gallery/gSnpZyz
It's from July this year and the freebooter who uploaded it could've just linked to the guy who made it instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwiORpBj8P8

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Chip butty: chips between two slices of buttered white bread.
Chip cob: chips served in a small bread, whatever we're calling that, usually buttered but optional.
Chip :wtc:: chips served in a baguette.

:hmmyes:

Chip cob aka chip bap aka chip batch

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've been playing disco Elysium after another goon was nice enough to buy it for me and it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And to bring the whole thing full circle, chips inside a Yorkshire pud: Choad in the hole.