Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Robot Hobo posted:

Plenty of reasons, but the main one is that private prisons are profitable. Private prison companies want more profit, so they influence (bribe) politicians into finding ways to put more people in prison for longer sentences on the smallest of crimes. Private prison profits drive a lot of our law-writing these days. The USA has a higher percentage of our people in prison than almost any other country entirely because someone makes a lot of money off of each one.

Public prisons have the same problem. The prison guard union in California was the biggest driver behind the prison boom there and the three strikes law. That was all public unions.

Private prisons are usually shittier than public ones though. Just saying rooting out all private prisons isn’t going to stop the mass incarceration problem or even put the brakes on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Absolutely no one is saying that abolishing private prisons alone will magically fix mass incarceration everywhere. But it’s a major part of feedback loop that needs to be felt with if we want to have a hope of making the justice system better. Your question was “why do we not like private prisons?” and that’s been pretty thoroughly answered.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Stickman posted:

Absolutely no one is saying that abolishing private prisons alone will magically fix mass incarceration everywhere. But it’s a major part of feedback loop that needs to be felt with if we want to have a hope of making the justice system better. Your question was “why do we not like private prisons?” and that’s been pretty thoroughly answered.

It’s not really a major part of the feedback loop. Prison system is hosed before private prisons came around and will be hosed still if we get rid of every single one.

The feedback loop is that people want prisons to be lovely, they want people to get raped, and they’d rather beat people with sticks than rehabilitate them even if it makes them less safe.

I didn’t ask why people didn’t like private prisons I asked why are you so gung ho about them? I haven’t heard any solid arguments that private prisons are a bigger issue than say prison rape, police discrimination or any one of the myriad other issues we have to tackle.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://twitter.com/uschamber/status/1184926141158526976?s=21

Oh no the people on the real life death panels standing between sick people and medicine are gonna lose their jobs

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

DeeplyConcerned posted:

It’s not really a major part of the feedback loop. Prison system is hosed before private prisons came around and will be hosed still if we get rid of every single one.

The feedback loop is that people want prisons to be lovely, they want people to get raped, and they’d rather beat people with sticks than rehabilitate them even if it makes them less safe.

I didn’t ask why people didn’t like private prisons I asked why are you so gung ho about them? I haven’t heard any solid arguments that private prisons are a bigger issue than say prison rape, police discrimination or any one of the myriad other issues we have to tackle.

Well, public prisons don’t spend millions of dollars lobbying against prison and judicial reform (though their increasingly-prevalent private subcontractors do and that’s another problem).

You might be able to come up with some reasons why “why do we do talk about bad thing when there’s also other bad things” is a silly argument on your own.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 23, 2019

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Omobono posted:

Running scared rear end in a top hat? :dunkedon:
This gigantic turd isn't even technically lying here under formal Mathematics rules: as there are no D lies then technically his "sources" (his and the GOP's rear end) are debunking every single one of them. Pity there's no fairness doctrine to steamroll disinformation and blatant lies like this one.

While your statement is true, classically you use italics for emphasis, not underlines.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

beejay posted:

Are those bats?

haveblue posted:

They're birds, presumably tweeting
Specifically, starlings... as in "Quid Pro Quo, Clarice..."

Timmy Age 6 posted:

I have to echo evilweasel here and say if you haven't read Taylor's statement, you should go do that right now.
It's both insane and also soul-crushing in how loving blatant these guys are. And yet this is what America is doing on the world stage right now.

:stare:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I do not want to give a private organisation the degree of power over a person that prison involves, under any circumstances whatsoever.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timmy Age 6 posted:

I have to echo evilweasel here and say if you haven't read Taylor's statement, you should go do that right now.
It's both insane and also soul-crushing in how loving blatant these guys are. And yet this is what America is doing on the world stage right now.

Have a horseshoe crab with googly eyes glued to it.

This poo poo is loving crazy, they are incredibly bad at this, and it is absolutely bonkers that you can BE this bad at this and it still be this hard to do anything about it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Christ Jesus that's a statement and a half.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/BGrueskin/status/1186953107714068481

removal at +2, approval at -20

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I do not want to give a private organisation the degree of power over a person that prison involves, under any circumstances whatsoever.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Nixon's high was 58% wasn't it? Getting close to that.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Private prisons are usually shittier than public ones though.

The quality of the prisons themselves isn't the issue, it's that a profit-incentive structure will inflate their populations

edit - there may well be some quality issues too of course

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Charlz Guybon posted:

Nixon's high was 58% wasn't it? Getting close to that.

Trump won’t resign like Nixon though. He’ll have to be drug out of the White House kicking and screaming all while live tweeting on his phone about PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Spiffster posted:

Trump won’t resign like Nixon though. He’ll have to be drug out of the White House kicking and screaming all while live tweeting on his phone about PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT!

Absolutely.

When it seriously looks like they will lose the Senate (and there is already talk of dem's improving chances), the Republicans will try to cut their losses and ask trump to resign. After he refuses, he goes right to Twitter to tell everyone about how the senate Republicans tried to get him to leave.

This may also split the Republican party: trump will still have high support by Republicans to be sure, so this will be seen as a betrayal of trump and skullfuck turnout next year, leading to the biggest rout in american election history.

Please god let this be what happens.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Meatball posted:

This may also split the Republican party: trump will still have high support by Republicans to be sure, so this will be seen as a betrayal of trump and skullfuck turnout next year, leading to the biggest rout in american election history.

Please god let this be what happens.

I've said this a few times but all the other would be right wing demagogues like Buchanan, Gingrich, and Palin just kinda faded away and never tried to antagonize the GOP.

Trump will literally Never Log Off.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I actually love being removed from office by 66 Perfect Senators.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

The Lone Badger posted:

Just to dogpile a little, don't forget that the paragons of public service can also be incredibly corrupt. *any* financial incentive to treat vulnerable populations in an 'economically efficient way' will always end badly.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/03/14/593204274/alabama-sheriff-legally-took-750-000-meant-to-feed-inmates-bought-beach-house

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Speaking of Trump never logging off...

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1186850642901557248
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1186856554055852035
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1186856923636948993
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1186857437657214976
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1186959459878350848
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1186968579125792768

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FizFashizzle posted:

I've said this a few times but all the other would be right wing demagogues like Buchanan, Gingrich, and Palin just kinda faded away and never tried to antagonize the GOP.

Trump will literally Never Log Off.

He won't log off but he also can't resist being a 2-bit scammer so he'd probably do something like start a Trump Presidential Leadership Seminar series, only $3000 per seat!

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I realise this is a book review and not like a stand alone academic study but I offer you all Craig Gilmore's "On the Business of Incarceration" which makes a case that opposing private prisons is not nearly enough, and notes that 4 of 5 the states that have done away with private prisons actually have increasing incarceration numbers.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

This is directly refuted by Taylor's testimony and I hope this loving tweet is included in an article of impeachment for continuing obstruction.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Also doesn't that tweet kind of admit it?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Not that I think he's even trying to be clever, and we're way past being "technically honest" , but you've got to admire the "Wrong, I never even discussed this with them" when the original tweet just says that he's privately testing the idea.

Weird look angry tweeting 24/7 about a dead case, then

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/1186973242906546177

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1186867356590473217

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Also doesn't that tweet kind of admit it?

Yeah we're at the "i did it, and it wasn't illegal" part of the narcissist's prayer.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Oh yeah, the big dick toilet guy was the acting AG for a little bit. I completely forgot about him.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I’m the double space after the clearly pasted-in “Sycamore “.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
I'm telling you, Trump knows what quid pro quo means about as much as he knows what a tariff is. He just thinks that if you repeat "no quo" a lot "no homo" style then all parties have to pretend that what's obviously happening isn't.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Tibalt posted:

Oh yeah, the big dick toilet guy was the acting AG for a little bit. I completely forgot about him.
It's really genuinely horrifying how much poo poo has happened in the last three years that I can't remember.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phobic Nest posted:

I'm telling you, Trump knows what quid pro quo means about as much as he knows what a tariff is. He just thinks that if you repeat "no quo" a lot "no homo" style then all parties have to pretend that what's obviously happening isn't.

Was just about to post this. He's just quoting someone saying fancy Latin words that sound good for him, and going WHERE IS THE WHISTLEBLOWER because that's the only thing he can grasp about this, something about a bad guy called a "whistleblower" who is basically a "leaker" like all the ones he yelled about for the first year of his term.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's good to know that they've invented a computer that can tally all of the Trump crimes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jealous Cow posted:

I’m the double space after the clearly pasted-in “Sycamore “.

I'm the "and 3 min 20 sec" instead of "in 3 min 20 sec". The computational complexity understander has logged on

Alternatively I'm the nationalistic "supremacy" framing on a thing which should be hailed as an achievement for, like, humanity or something

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It’s so exhausting to deal with an opposition that literally doesn’t care at all about facts or reality.

I spent my entire life wondering how people could go along with Nazism but we get to see 35% of our electorate who would’ve gladly aligned with Hitler every day.

So discouraging.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

It’s so exhausting to deal with an opposition that literally doesn’t care at all about facts or reality.

I spent my entire life wondering how people could go along with Nazism but we get to see 35% of our electorate who would’ve gladly aligned with Hitler every day.

So discouraging.

If it makes you feel better, most of the likely Nazis are going to be dead within 20-30 years

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1186982948404449280

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1186982949180317697

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Quoting Charlie Kirk.

Sir, have you no sense of shame? Have you no decency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What a rich fantasy life that man leads