Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I went in to talk to the bank about renewing my mortgage today and they effectively offered me a half million line of credit. My wife and I were pretty much :stare: :stare: at the guy. They were offering to finance what is left owing on our house plus a heloc that totalled up to the max we could get approved to borrow. We currently have a heloc with a 30k limit.

Jesus loving christ that's a loaded debt gun they are handing out there. Better just chuck a couple of luxury cars on there to finance the lifestyle we so clearly deserve what could possibly go wrong :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

BuT mOrTGaGe DeLiNqUeNcIeS aRe lOw

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

mashed_penguin posted:

I went in to talk to the bank about renewing my mortgage today and they effectively offered me a half million line of credit. My wife and I were pretty much :stare: :stare: at the guy. They were offering to finance what is left owing on our house plus a heloc that totalled up to the max we could get approved to borrow. We currently have a heloc with a 30k limit.

Jesus loving christ that's a loaded debt gun they are handing out there. Better just chuck a couple of luxury cars on there to finance the lifestyle we so clearly deserve what could possibly go wrong :v:

Meanwhile all signs are pointing to a global economic meltdown at least twice as bad as '08. :thunk:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I forgot the other bit too he wanted to push our amortization out to 25 years instead of the 15 left we have on the original timeframe to "lower our monthly payments". gently caress that poo poo.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Gah -- just saw this while browsing those listings, and looked it up because it was right by the house some friends are renting.

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R2402458/1410-e-1st-avenue-vancouver-bc

Yep, just using your illegal AirBnB suite as a selling feature of your house.

I can't wait for the recession to hit so that CRA goes after all these amateur hoteliers who don't pay taxes on their business income.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I can't wait for the recession to hit so that CRA goes after all these amateur hotelierssmall business owners who don't pay taxes on their business income.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Franks Happy Place posted:

The lines are usually long and the owner is a social media thirsty dipshit but the best fried chicken is definitely Downlow and it's not even close.

just wanna lend my support to this poster and his singularly good opinion.

how the rest of you could be so wrong... tsk tsk.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The matriarch of a family I know peripherally recently passed away. The matriarch has many children and when it came time to execute (dispatch whatever) the will, there was acrimony. It turns out one of her many sons is deeply in debt from a mortgage and a large HELOC.
This particular son's finances were always assumed to be healthy because he owned a moderately sized house in Kelowna which he bought a couple decades ago. His mortgage was known to be so low that everyone in the family assumed he had paid off the house.
It turns out he had borrowed even more money against the inflated valuation of the house.
This son has been living it up with his wife and two teenaged daughters. This past weekend they came down to vancouver to visit family but rather than stay with them, they got this amazing deal at the fairmont for $370/night. Mom and daughters spent the weekend shopping and one of the teenaged daughters got some collagen injections. Meanwhile the son went down to Seattle to catch the Seahawks game.

I want to draw a picture of Canadian Gothic.jpg where the wife and husband are wearing moncler jackets, standing in front of a Kelowna mcmansion with a couple luxury cars in the background.

That's my story ty for reading. Like and subscribe if u agree

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

incontinence 100 posted:

The matriarch of a family I know peripherally recently passed away. The matriarch has many children and when it came time to execute (dispatch whatever) the will, there was acrimony. It turns out one of her many sons is deeply in debt from a mortgage and a large HELOC.
This particular son's finances were always assumed to be healthy because he owned a moderately sized house in Kelowna which he bought a couple decades ago. His mortgage was known to be so low that everyone in the family assumed he had paid off the house.
It turns out he had borrowed even more money against the inflated valuation of the house.
This son has been living it up with his wife and two teenaged daughters. This past weekend they came down to vancouver to visit family but rather than stay with them, they got this amazing deal at the fairmont for $370/night. Mom and daughters spent the weekend shopping and one of the teenaged daughters got some collagen injections. Meanwhile the son went down to Seattle to catch the Seahawks game.

I want to draw a picture of Canadian Gothic.jpg where the wife and husband are wearing moncler jackets, standing in front of a Kelowna mcmansion with a couple luxury cars in the background.

*barf*

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah that game sucked

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

incontinence 100 posted:

Pls post in the bad with money thread.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

incontinence 100 posted:

I have some extended family that are like this. Patriarch gifted the one son a house (nothing for any of the three daughters) who then promptly took all his equity gains and blew it on consumption, thinking the party wouldn't end. Well, it did, and they are seriously stretched. No sympathy here.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

incontinence 100 posted:

:frogon:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

incontinence 100 posted:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I have some extended family that are like this. Patriarch gifted the one son a house (nothing for any of the three daughters) who then promptly took all his equity gains and blew it on consumption, thinking the party wouldn't end. Well, it did, and they are seriously stretched. No sympathy here.

As irritating as these stories are, you should maintain a little sympathy. People are the product of their environment, and ours blasts in people's brains that they are never good enough until they buy X consumer item right now using whatever credit vehicle they have access to. "You're richer than you think" is an enticing siren's song.

At the end of the day, it can be fun and cathartic to moralize, but it's okay to note the problem is systemic, while also noting some have it much worse than others.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
We can have systemic problems and also have derision worthy assholes

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PhilippAchtel posted:

As irritating as these stories are, you should maintain a little sympathy. People are the product of their environment, and ours blasts in people's brains that they are never good enough until they buy X consumer item right now using whatever credit vehicle they have access to. "You're richer than you think" is an enticing siren's song.

At the end of the day, it can be fun and cathartic to moralize, but it's okay to note the problem is systemic, while also noting some have it much worse than others.

I used to think more like this but frankly the left needs to tap into its righteous fury more often.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Helsing posted:

I used to think more like this but frankly the left needs to tap into its righteous fury more often.

If we moralize these problems, we play directly into the narrative that people get what they deserve. Reinforcing that narrative will hurt the poor more than it will ever hurt the middle class.

We should have righteous fury, I agree. And I don't want to excuse the complicity of the middle class here, but laughing at workers of a slightly higher strata for spending themselves into bankruptcy sidesteps the real cause and solution.

I think you still mostly agree with me, but the last decade has made you more cynical, which is fine, but I trust you know where I'm coming from.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

PhilippAchtel posted:

If we moralize these problems, we play directly into the narrative that people get what they deserve. Reinforcing that narrative will hurt the poor more than it will ever hurt the middle class.

No, you create a narrative that actions have consequences. If you roll coal, your grandchildren will drown. If you cut taxes, your hospitals will close. If you do something stupid, it WILL come back at you.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

No, you create a narrative that actions have consequences. If you roll coal, your grandchildren will drown. If you cut taxes, your hospitals will close. If you do something stupid, it WILL come back at you.

Isn't the whole ethos of BC that you don't need to suffer consequences for anything? This is lotus land.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

half cocaine posted:

Isn't the whole ethos of BC that you don't need to suffer consequences for anything? This is lotus land.

If it wasn't for Alberta, BC would be Canada's dumbest province. The average North Vancouverite probably burns more carbon than any other human being on Earth.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Again, you are personalizing a social issue. You just discard your sympathy because it's a group of people you find distasteful.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

PhilippAchtel posted:

Again, you are personalizing a social issue. You just discard your sympathy because it's a group of people you find distasteful.

Are we being unfair to students and housewives who are members of satellite families using them as conduits for capital transfer? I guess if I think about it hard enough, these people are paying a really high price in social isolation for the sake of protecting a loved one's fortune.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

On the flipside of that, there is so much :smith: in this court judgement:

https://www.bccourts.ca/jdb-txt/sc/19/18/2019BCSC1811.htm

Octogenarian gets "befriended" by con artist, who persuades her to take out progressively more reverse mortgages against her five-generation family home to fund his ill-gotten development scheme. Everything goes to poo poo, and the last predatory lender, despite not even following their own mortgage conditions, repos her home.

The judge sounds soooo pissed.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.timescolonist.com/b-c-speculation-tax-personal-info-can-be-collected-and-disclosed-privacy-commissioner-1.23983188

Apparently the BC Liberals have seriously argued that requiring a SIN on a tax form is an invasion of privacy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.timescolonist.com/b-c-speculation-tax-personal-info-can-be-collected-and-disclosed-privacy-commissioner-1.23983188

Apparently the BC Liberals have seriously argued that requiring a SIN on a tax form is an invasion of privacy.

*insert CI's favourite Jenny Kwan quote about how basic financial reporting is insensitive to chinese privacy values*

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Remember when the Ontario competition bureau was trying to get MLS listings released to the public without a REALTOR gatekeeper? The excuse: _privacy_.

It's time conservatives like the bc liberals got called out for this bullshit in using privacy as a shield for committing crimes. The CRA is going to be able to use this info for enforcing capital gains tax rules too.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

On the flipside of that, there is so much :smith: in this court judgement:

https://www.bccourts.ca/jdb-txt/sc/19/18/2019BCSC1811.htm

Octogenarian gets "befriended" by con artist, who persuades her to take out progressively more reverse mortgages against her five-generation family home to fund his ill-gotten development scheme. Everything goes to poo poo, and the last predatory lender, despite not even following their own mortgage conditions, repos her home.

The judge sounds soooo pissed.

I think this is going to get more and more common as all the retirees age into dementia territory. I've seen it with my wife's grandmother who had someone who wanted to replace her roof, her boiler, and her windows show up at her door, which are at least semi-legit but incredibly shady companies trying to get what money they can out of people who don't know better. This case is something else.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

This is actually a fun read:

https://vancouversun.com/news/national/ian-mulgrew-money-laundering-hearing-a-magnet-for-conspiracy-theories

quote:

“I am a victim of organized crime, not limited to but including the Filipino mafia, the Vietnamese mafia, the Chinese gestapo and believe it or not the North Korean spies. I came today because my life is in danger. I have lost everything.”

quote:

Brandishing a sheaf of notes, he was frustrated as his speaking time ran out: “I have designed something I call the civilization system — basically a system of government for the future. You’re all going to be hearing about it.”

etc

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/hutchyman/status/1187905888914247680?s=21

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://www.vancourier.com/sports/new-rules-will-help-fight-money-laundering-b-c-finance-minister-says-1.23988502 posted:

The records will not be held in a public registry. Rather, Ministry of Finance compliance and auditing officers, as well as law enforcement officials, will have access to the registry. Information may also be shared with the Canada Revenue Agency in efforts to stop tax evasion, according to the statement.

They're not making it public (even for pay/cost recovery)? That is a travesty.

People with the right connections, including the super wealthy and/or organized crime participants will be able to lean on those with access to find things out. People acting in the public interest like activists, financial journalists, and random investigators (hobbyists looking for strata/municipal corruption, ex-spouses looking for hidden assets, etc) get completely shut out.

Because after all, law enforcement and Revenue Canada have never let us down. (It's good that they have it, but don't stop there!)

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

I used to work in a hospital with a psych ward. I came in early one morning to find a person in the lobby, looking lost. I asked if I could help, and she replied "yes, I'm being held here against my will." "Oh, is that so?", I responded. She went on to say "Yes, my husband is the head of the Hells Angels, La Cosa Nostra, and the Italian Mafia and he is very upset that I am in here." I asked her if she wanted to go back to her hospital floor, she said yes, and back she went.

That guy must be super busy to be heading up all those groups!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

+1 Demand siders

quote:

Court rules against claim that B.C.'s foreign buyers tax is discriminatory

The B.C. Supreme Court has ruled against a claim that the provincial government’s 20-per-cent property transfer tax for foreign buyers is discriminatory, unconstitutional and in violation of trade agreements.

Jing Li, a Burnaby resident who moved to Canada from China in 2013 as a student, was the sole plaintiff in the case against the province.

Li entered a contract to buy a $559,000 residential property in Langley on July 13, 2016. When she closed the deal in November, the foreign buyers tax had come into effect on Aug. 2, and she had to pay an additional $83,850 as she was neither a permanent resident of Canada nor a Canadian citizen, according to the ruling.

Li said in the claim that she “felt that the tax unfairly labelled me and many others like me as being the cause of housing unaffordability” and that it “further reinforced” anger toward buyers from China due to unfair biases and stereotypes.

Li’s lawyer, Luciana Brasil, has previously cited support from other foreign buyers and the possibility for the claim to widen into a class-action with potentially significant costs for the province if it were to lose.

Li’s lawyers presented testimony from economist Tom Davidoff, associate professor of sociology Nathanael Lauster and history professor Henry Yu, all with the University of B.C., as well as data analyst and consultant Jens von Bergmann.

The province submitted testimony from UBC economist Tsur Somerville and SFU finance professor Andrey Pavlov. It later added reports and affidavits from UBC professor emeritus David Ley, SFU adjunct professor Andy Yan, and housing activist Justin Fung.

In the ruling posted late Thursday, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Gregory Bowden looked at the context leading up to the tax’s enactment, whether the province had the constitutional right to implement it, and whether it violated international treaties such as NAFTA.

“In relation to the plaintiff’s argument that the tax perpetuates prejudice, stereotyping, or disadvantages of Chinese people in B.C., it is not enough that the stereotypes and prejudices existed or were mentioned in public discourse around the time that (the tax was) enacted. The plaintiff must also show that the tax itself perpetuated or exacerbated racial stereotypes and prejudices,” wrote Bowden. “All of the expert economists appear to accept that foreign buyers contributed to housing unaffordability.”

Bowden cited Yan’s report and wrote that the region “was experiencing hyper-commodification of real estate where housing becomes a financial instrument disconnected from its function as housing. (Yan) suggests that the inflow of foreign capital into the market introduced new demand pressures in a number of jurisdictions that resulted in a de-coupling of prices from local incomes.”

“For me, (the ruling) really recognizes that our real estate market is consumed globally and that our government, like other states around the world, can regulate it for the global economy,” said Yan in reaction to the ruling. He was one of the first to draw attention to large amounts of capital from China flowing into the local real estate market via the private banking networks of Canadian institutions.

Yu, who specializes in the history of Chinese migration to North America, found “the tax implicitly targets Chinese foreign buyers,” according to the ruling.

Bowden wrote that he excluded Yu’s report, describing it as being “more like a position paper in the form of an argument rather than an expert report.”

In reaction to the ruling, Yu said: “What worries me is that the category of foreign buyer grew out of anti-Chinese sentiment and this has cemented the easy conflation of ‘foreign’ and ‘Chinese,’ which is only now going to get easier to use rhetorically and allow dog whistling to become even more normal.”

lol when you look at the experts brought into this case this was a real supply sider vs demand sider proxy battle

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I'm thinking of putting an offer in on a property in the City of Vancouver so take this as a sign that the bubble is gonna burst very soon.

But yeah it's been interesting to watch price action since the peak(?) of ~2017-2018. Very much confirming the notion that prices are 'sticky' on the way down. The market has corrected down, but with lowered prices no one is in any hurry to sell unless they actually have to (eg. an estate sale), and so there's incredibly little product coming onto the market. That low amount of product in effect props up prices. When a 'good' place finally does appear on the market it actually gets sold pretty quick.

The exception to this case is the pre-sale condo market, which of course has been creating new properties an unprecedented rates and some of those properties are now coming online.

https://twitter.com/FIVRE604/status/1187426445527699461?s=20

(FIVRE making a joke here about PBR. They're condos, but of course they're investor bought so they're all going to rental)

Surely this will impact that subsection of the market at some point. I'm expecting new builds to rapidly scale down at some point.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I wonder at what point that stickiness stops?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/88888sAccount/status/1189059854284967936

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Holy poo poo Quebec is suspending its Investor Immigration program (at least for a few months... beginning of the end?).

https://twitter.com/RadioCanadaInfo/status/1189544437376049153

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Holy poo poo Quebec is suspending its Investor Immigration program (at least for a few months... beginning of the end?).

Wow, that is astoundingly good news.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Femtosecond posted:

SURPRISE CANADIAN VALUES TEST LOL

https://twitter.com/radiocanadainfo/status/1189578156254154752?s=21

20 questions, you can fail it three times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm all for making politicians pass a Canadian values te--

Wait sorry, it's for who now?