Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

infernal machines posted:

this really bothers me, because there's seemingly no practical reason for calgary or edmonton to be any less able to support tech bs than toronto or vancouver or montreal.

not everything needs to be hootsuite 10x rockstar bullshit, but they should be capable of having a thriving tech scene

e: i should be clear, this wouldn't actually be good for anyone who lives there and isn't getting paid to press buttons, it's just weird to me that it's not a thing

:rip: Bioware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

this really bothers me, because there's seemingly no practical reason for calgary or edmonton to be any less able to support tech bs than toronto or vancouver or montreal.

not everything needs to be hootsuite 10x rockstar bullshit, but they should be capable of having a thriving tech scene

e: i should be clear, this wouldn't actually be good for anyone who lives there and isn't getting paid to press buttons, it's just weird to me that it's not a thing

It's not that there's no tech scene whatsoever, it's that it's full of jobs like this:

https://www.indeed.ca/viewjob?cmp=i...52f68dceb&vjs=3

This job expects you to do frontend development, backend development, QA, SEO, design, copywriting, social media management. That's at least 5 separate jobs if you want to wrap SEO/writing/social media into an overworked marketing position. Nobody who has experience in any of those is going to want to do much more than dabble in any of the others, let alone be expected to be actually knowledgeable about them and probably make like 70k per year while working for a psycho who thinks that free coffee is a reasonable substitute for an actual benefits package.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

It's not that there's no tech scene whatsoever, it's that it's full of jobs like this:

https://www.indeed.ca/viewjob?cmp=i...52f68dceb&vjs=3

This job expects you to do frontend development, backend development, QA, SEO, design, copywriting, social media management. That's at least 5 separate jobs if you want to wrap SEO/writing/social media into an overworked marketing position. Nobody who has experience in any of those is going to want to do much more than dabble in any of the others, let alone be expected to be actually knowledgeable about them and probably make like 70k per year while working for a psycho who thinks that free coffee is a reasonable substitute for an actual benefits package.

This is also tech sector AF though.

70k is super optimistic. There are mission critical devops jobs that are 24/7/365 on call for $32k these days.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

70k is super optimistic. There are mission critical devops jobs that are 24/7/365 on call for $32k these days.

lmao gently caress capitalism

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Lmao I make alkost that much working sales and service at a bike shop.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Full time minimum wage at $15/hr is $30k/year. Cooks and landscapers used to make double minimum wage.

Then again, corporations used to pay taxes.

How could shareholders even afford to eat?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
so did the ndp do badly? i'm reading the wikipedia thing, it seems depressing

it's because of quebec isn't it

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

so did the ndp do badly? i'm reading the wikipedia thing, it seems depressing

it's because of quebec isn't it

They had no money, they got wrecked last election, their rhetoric has been uninspiring pablum up until like 3 weeks ago, and Jagmeet has no fire in his belly.

And it's also because of Quebec.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so what's behind the bloc's resurgence? a stronger feeling of independence since the last referendum or a better local platform/manifesto?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

i say swears online posted:

so what's behind the bloc's resurgence? a stronger feeling of independence since the last referendum or a better local platform/manifesto?

Man in a turban

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ah, a strong secular resurgence that is also anti-catholic, i'm sure

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

its heritage not hate buddy

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

i say swears online posted:

ah, a strong secular resurgence that is also anti-catholic, i'm sure

what? No, that giant crucifix in the National Assembly is COMPLETELY SECULAR.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

My company contracts like $300+k a year for a 24/7/365 on call IT group and about 75% of the guys they dispatch to us take 2 hours to delete a 40gb .OST or troubleshoot a bad headset.

What I'm saying is, IT is a land of contrasts.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Noblesse Obliged posted:

it’s heritage not hate buddy

It's more like a heritage of hate.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Grraarrgghh posted:

My company contracts like $300+k a year for a 24/7/365 on call IT group and about 75% of the guys they dispatch to us take 2 hours to delete a 40gb .OST or troubleshoot a bad headset.

What I'm saying is, IT is a land of contrasts.

it is indeed.

the requirements are a joke and the pay is a joke, well, you get a lot of clowns. your contractors are probably making minimum wage and fresh out of some private tech degree mill

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

McGavin posted:

It's more like a heritage of hate.

whatever do you mean. Im sure a Quebec nationalists ideal world is full of French speaking Haitians and Cameroonians

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Im not directly involved in Edmontons tech scene but its my understanding there is a lot of infighting between the different municipal companies that have been created to push tech jobs / investment in Edmonton / entrepreneurs / incubators.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

whatever do you mean. Im sure a Quebec nationalists ideal world is full of French speaking Haitians and Cameroonians

For like half of separatists that's actually true. There's a lot of surprisingly non-racist separatists.

There's also a lot fo really racist ones.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cougar cub posted:

Im not directly involved in Edmontons tech scene but its my understanding there is a lot of infighting between the different municipal companies that have been created to push tech jobs / investment in Edmonton / entrepreneurs / incubators.

admittedly i have not spent a lot of time considering the practicalities of building tech friendly market space, but i'm curious what the hell they're doing that's messing it up so badly

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
While the wipe out in Quebec was probably inevitable the failure to pick up seats in the GTA is incredibly unimpressive - so much so that Singh just straight up said he has no explanation for why they did so badly.

Let's not forget that the NDP in general and Singh specifically wasted a lot of time. After Mulcair was booted they let him hang on for a year before running a leadership race and Mulcair mostly phoned it in (and then spent the next election attacking the new leader, which emphasizes how insane it was that they allowed this clearly bitter man to stay in charge after being unceremoniously humiliated). Then after Singh won a very policy light leadership he hosed around, spent a lot of time making really terrible strategic decisions like his profile in Toronto Life, got married, and generally tried to position himself to be the next Trudeau style instagram politician.

In the last leg of the campaign, facing the possible destruction of the party itself, the NDP pivoted back to a full throated and unapologetic defense of traditional priorities like taxing the rich to expand the safety net. It was apparently enough to prevent a total collapse but not much more.

Don't let the last half of the campaign blind you to the fact that the NDP created this mess. Singh's leadership has been incompetent and he unperformed badly here.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

For like half of separatists that's actually true. There's a lot of surprisingly non-racist separatists.

There's also a lot fo really racist ones.

It was really Singh's poor french speaking skills that prevented Quebeckers from voting for him.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

what? No, that giant crucifix in the National Assembly is COMPLETELY SECULAR.

They actually took that specific crucifix down. Now to get to work with all the 10 000 other ones in other public buildings and every single drat thing named after saints.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

admittedly i have not spent a lot of time considering the practicalities of building tech friendly market space, but i'm curious what the hell they're doing that's messing it up so badly

A cousin's spouse has been making over 200k/year for the last 15ish years doing software development contracting for oil & gas in Calgary. There have been a couple spells of a few months without work but it's been way more consistent than I ever believed possible.

That's going to steal talent from start-up land.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/HelleMax/status/1186822869017214976

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Helsing posted:

While the wipe out in Quebec was probably inevitable the failure to pick up seats in the GTA is incredibly unimpressive - so much so that Singh just straight up said he has no explanation for why they did so badly.

Let's not forget that the NDP in general and Singh specifically wasted a lot of time. After Mulcair was booted they let him hang on for a year before running a leadership race and Mulcair mostly phoned it in (and then spent the next election attacking the new leader, which emphasizes how insane it was that they allowed this clearly bitter man to stay in charge after being unceremoniously humiliated). Then after Singh won a very policy light leadership he hosed around, spent a lot of time making really terrible strategic decisions like his profile in Toronto Life, got married, and generally tried to position himself to be the next Trudeau style instagram politician.

In the last leg of the campaign, facing the possible destruction of the party itself, the NDP pivoted back to a full throated and unapologetic defense of traditional priorities like taxing the rich to expand the safety net. It was apparently enough to prevent a total collapse but not much more.

Don't let the last half of the campaign blind you to the fact that the NDP created this mess. Singh's leadership has been incompetent and he unperformed badly here.

i wonder if the ndps takeaway will be going back to instagram and pushing for a pharmacare that just 'fills in the gaps' or if they will keep up the tax the rich slightly more rhetoric

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

James Baud posted:

A cousin's spouse has been making over 200k/year for the last 15ish years doing software development contracting for oil & gas in Calgary. There have been a couple spells of a few months without work but it's been way more consistent than I ever believed possible.

That's going to steal talent from start-up land.

that sort of consultancy is the kind of thing i'm talking about too though. it doesn't have to be all "what if uber for dogs?" bullshit. i know tech is synonymous with start-up, but it's possible to have a tech industry that doesn't just burn other people's money on terrible ideas

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

DariusLikewise posted:

i wonder if the ndps takeaway will be going back to instagram and pushing for a pharmacare that just 'fills in the gaps' or if they will keep up the tax the rich slightly more rhetoric

My guess would be that it will be the same Instagram strategy but now they'll be copying AOC instead of Trudeau, except without the huge grassroots movement that AOC is tapping into and without an equivalently charismatic spokesperson.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

butthurt albertans and a strong bloc presence could mean a weaker federalism in the future

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i like how the questions are basically "would you like alberta to provide services, like some sort of government?"

like, perhaps if the province stepped up and started doing something useful they wouldn't be so loving asschapped about the rest of the nation

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I think we should end confederation then all join the EU as countries.

I want fancy cheeses and meats please

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

reminds me of the terminally aggrieved idiots in etobicoke here in toronto. mad as hell about the rest of the city having things like "services" and "infrastructure" but they keep electing barely literate dispshits who promise to never build anything

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The ruling against Jessica Yaniv is bullshit and will hopefully be changed, because it's contrary to all established law. Say what you will about Jessica and her approach, the case was clear-cut from the beginning. But most troubling, a lot of people are using the craziness of the case, and the craziness of Yaniv, to hide their established anti-trans sentiment. That's why you have conservatives coming out of the woodwork to talk about her; they obviously don't care about the case, they just like a chance to disparage trans people. Shitheads like Meghan Murphy springboarded a career as a professional TERF speaker over Yaniv. The case isn't about Yaniv, it's about rights for all trans people, and being on the side of the LGBT community instead of on the side of TERFs.

Also: https://www.canadalandshow.com/podcast/13772-2/ &
https://www.canadalandshow.com/we-need-to-talk-about-jessica-yaniv/

xtal has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Oct 23, 2019

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gonna get a big ol yeesh from me, dog

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

xtal posted:

The ruling against Jessica Yaniv is bullshit and will hopefully be changed, because it's contrary to all established law. Say what you will about Jessica and her approach, the case was clear-cut from the beginning. But most troubling, a lot of people are using the craziness of the case, and the craziness of Yaniv, to hide their established anti-trans sentiment. That's why you have conservatives coming out of the woodwork to talk about her; they obviously don't care about the case, they just like a chance to disparage trans people. Shitheads like Meghan Murphy springboarded a career as a professional TERF speaker over Yaniv. The case isn't about Yaniv, it's about rights for all trans people, and being on the side of the LGBT community instead of on the side of TERFs.

Is that copypasta from somewhere insane i should be following?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Is that copypasta from somewhere insane i should be following?

If you find yourself agreeing with Lindsey Shepherd, Meghan Murphy, Ezra Levant, Alex Jones and Jordan Peterson all at once, you should probably re-evaluate your position

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

xtal posted:

If you find yourself agreeing with Lindsey Shepherd, Meghan Murphy, Ezra Levant, Alex Jones and Jordan Peterson all at once, you should probably re-evaluate your position

Sky blue, they said? Heck no!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

xtal posted:

I'm not super informed on this case but I think Yaniv will win on judicial review / appeal.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Yaniv is stupid and the other people you listed are retarded assholes. Its not a binary choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Lindsay Shepards continued relevance is baffling.