Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I expect they'll have a few bookmarks since people actually did use them in CK2, unlike EU4, but I'm pretty sure they've said they're never going to do the whole "pick any date to start on" thing again.

I would assume so, because the trailer had William the Conqeror in it and if you start at 867 in CK2, by 1066 continental Europe is just an enormous blob called "Francia", England is run by pagan vikings, and the Normans don't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'd say it fits better in CK2 than it does in EU4, since CK2 is dealing more closely with the people and how their internal power structures work. Feudal christian lords, muslim sultans, orthodox emperors, and pagan tribesmen all have pretty different power structures that involve dealing with people very differently, some of them don't even really jive with Crusader Kings's focus on following a single character and their direct progeny.

What about theocracies?

Is the latest info re: CK2 theocracies still that they are only not playable because the Papacy handles most events in the game?

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

Is the latest info re: CK2 theocracies still that they are only not playable because the Papacy handles most events in the game?

I assume it's always been a low priority because there's basically no interesting theocracies outside the pope but I think the big obstacle is that the game is based on dynastic succession and obviously for Christian theocracies you can't produce dynastic successors.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I kinda think they should drop that. Or make which character you play as be an option. The dynastic succession mechanic is fun but sometimes I want to just follow a title through its history regardless of family, or follow a family through various bastards and daughters.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I kinda think they should drop that. Or make which character you play as be an option. The dynastic succession mechanic is fun but sometimes I want to just follow a title through its history regardless of family, or follow a family through various bastards and daughters.

That would be cool.

There was always a kind of weird dissonance I would feel with CK2 where you would often be in an antagonistic relationship with hiers or family members and working to limit their power, and then suddenly you are playing as them and have to suffer the negative effects of your own past actions. It can be unsatisfying.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

tombom posted:

and obviously for Christian theocracies you can't produce dynastic successors.

You sure about that?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Communist Walrus posted:

You sure about that?

dynastic successors you absolutely cannot

biological sons with the same grandparents as yourself, absolutely

:thatscatholicism:

fuf posted:

That would be cool.

There was always a kind of weird dissonance I would feel with CK2 where you would often be in an antagonistic relationship with hiers or family members and working to limit their power, and then suddenly you are playing as them and have to suffer the negative effects of your own past actions. It can be unsatisfying.

It's also part of the charm of CK too, though. Actually it could be as simple as making the heirs to titles different from the "next player character" heir. Like maybe I've set up the Kingdom to pass smoothly to my legitimate son Prince Fancypants von Fucksburg, but am more interested in playing my bastard who has somehow become count of Algiers.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 23, 2019

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They said the Old Gods 867 start date is the default CK3 start date now.

That's good, it was the best start date that was relatively balanced between the different religions/cultures.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

fuf posted:

That would be cool.

To me, this is exactly why CK is interesting. You can't just focus on short-term stability; you always need to take succession into account. Of course, sometimes it's fun to follow a branch of the family instead. The events in CK2 that make it possible to switch to a cadet branch when winning a crusade make that possible, but I suppose it could be made more general.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I never play the norse because they're toxic masculinity. lovely and gross.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Average Bear posted:

You can reform them and institute gender equality.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Athas posted:

You can reform them and institute gender equality.

Or enatic clans!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Meet the inbred dwarf who's going to make the medieval world woke or die trying.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

fully👏manual👏woke👏earth👏feudalism👏

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Average Bear posted:

aren't you the same dude who had strong opinions about calling people "kebabs"?

e: yeah you are, you should try learning what phrases like "toxic masculinity" mean instead of desperately yelling catch phrases to own the sjws

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Agean90 posted:

fully👏manual👏woke👏earth👏feudalism👏

Wow, they keep adding more and more rock puns with this Lithoid species pack!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: yeah you are, you should try learning what phrases like "toxic masculinity" mean instead of desperately yelling catch phrases to own the sjws

Calling Ottomans "kebab" and calling everyone who doesn't like it "some wokie" since 2010

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lmao

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That was easy

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Average Bear posted:

That was easy

wow what a puppetmaster, i am in awe of this fellow's skills, he thought to himself "i'll be lovely and make people unhappy, or at least point it out"

and then it happened

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

John Lee posted:

wow what a puppetmaster, i am in awe of this fellow's skills, he thought to himself "i'll be lovely and make people unhappy, or at least point it out"

and then it happened

You should be. Trolling is a art.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Women's rights in the Nordic culture were better than in most of the rest of Europe at the time.
They had their own property that they would take with them after a divorce.

Their position worsened after Christianity arrived.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

This can pretty much sum up history.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This should be the thread title in perpetuity.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Please don't derail the thread again. Blow off some steam in the relevant cspam thread if you gotta.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What in tarnation.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I do honestly look and talk like that.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Cant you people just ignore this idiot?

He is begging for attention since his idiotic defense of "remove kebab" didint got the warm reception he expected

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 23, 2019

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Cant you people just ignore this idiot?

He is begging for attention since his idiotic defense of "remove kebab" didint got the warm reception he expected

Average Bear posted:

Please don't derail the thread again. Blow off some steam in the relevant cspam thread if you gotta.

You can take it to my PMs if you feel you're up to direct confrontation but please avoid posting any more cringe.

vvv Don't be like this guy. Keep the "witty" lowercase retorts to cspam, quit making GBS threads up the thread.

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 23, 2019

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Average Bear posted:

please avoid posting any more cringe.

Might be time to take your own advice there buddy

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

This, but instead of acting retarded he’s just making fun of one bad post, and instead of 1 person calmly saying “gently caress off” it’s 20 people crying

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Average Bear posted:

You can take it to my PMs if you feel you're up to direct confrontation but please avoid posting any more cringe.
You can take it to my PMs if you feel you're up to direct confrontation
but please avoid posting any more cringe.

You're really good at pretending to be the dumbest person in the room

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Average Bear posted:

vvv Don't be like this guy. Keep the "witty" lowercase retorts to cspam, quit making GBS threads up the thread.

Just letting you know I deleted whatever you sent me, I have absolutely no interest in engaging with you outside of this thread lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PinheadSlim posted:

You're really good at pretending to be the dumbest person in the room

It's really quite impressive. It's like Zaphod except ironic.

Powerful posting.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Please thread title

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I like paradox games, and would like them better if I got to play one called victoria 3 (vicky3 for short)

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

PinheadSlim posted:

Just letting you know I deleted whatever you sent me, I have absolutely no interest in engaging with you outside of this thread lol

It said "Thank you, but please keep it outside of the thread, I don't want to poo poo it up for 3 pages again".

Seriously guys I got nothing against you personally. But you can't have a several page meltdown every time I clown on someone. Mods don't like it and I'm trying to abide by their wishes, you can too. I'm having fun cracking jokes on the forums, I'll hash out any issues in PMs which I'm sure you guys can handle too.

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Lol well in an effort to stop loving around and get back on topic,

I downloaded CK2 since it's free now, but is it worth playing without any expansions or is it like Victoria 2?