Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Time to put that mace to use

Riatsala fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

DandyLion posted:

But what if abandoning him is projected to have just as many deleterious downstream affects as continued support? Kind of feels like they're stuck between a rock and a hard place, and I'd imagine inaction is easier and more likely than concerted combined efforts to distance themselves.

yeah, no disagreement here. It's a calculation with lots of variables. My only point is that this is a dynamic situation and could change in a hurry

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
https://twitter.com/TheJewishDream/status/1187021771872100352

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

evilweasel posted:

this is an inevitable outgrowth of trump's legal position but i think i'd have tried to finagle not giving a straight answer rather than state it outright

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1187018257980710917
Can't be prosecuted if he shoots himself on fifth avenue!

haveblue posted:

He'd have to murder all of them, the conviction vote is based on members present.
Time to call in a favor from his foreign friends, The Martians

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm blinded by the whiteness in that photo.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I got money on it that those House R’s are not going to be re-elected. They’re trying to obstruct so that they can delay the inevitable.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm blinded by the whiteness in that photo.

The sheer caucasity!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

THERE ARE LITERALLY REPUBLICAN COMMITTEE MEMBERS IN THERE ALREADY WHO ARE ACTUALLY ALLOWED THERE

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

oxsnard posted:

still think the single biggest factor behind Trump's win was the pollster modeling circle jerk assuring us that he didn't stand a chance

I think it was a perfect storm of mistakes and that was certainly a contributing factor. Hillary wasn’t an inspiring candidate for a lot of people. She coasted to the nomination on her name and her supreme qualifications, but didn’t inspire voters the same way a charismatic leader like Bush, Obama, or even Trump in his own weird, twisted way. So those voters were much more susceptible to feeling complacent and reassured by the bad polls. I don’t think it would have been as big of a factor in other years, or even this coming year.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

THERE ARE LITERALLY REPUBLICAN COMMITTEE MEMBERS IN THERE ALREADY WHO ARE ACTUALLY ALLOWED THERE

chuds are too dumb to know that because fox news

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

I got money on it that those House R’s are not going to be re-elected. They’re trying to obstruct so that they can delay the inevitable.

you don't know their districts very well

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/wissmel/status/1187013631445291008

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ringo Star Get posted:

Alright I'll make a dumb bet, the cellphones are a distraction, they're sneaking a bug in to they can know what's going on and get ahead of it.

Also aren't there already some GOP members in the SCIF or am I misremembering?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Wylie posted:

All these assholes know that the next phase of all this is public hearings, right? We're not going "Welp, done with the closed-session evidence gathering, time to vote for impeachment, everybody!"

By day 2 of the public hearings, they'll be begging for it to end.

What is this "secure our borders" bullshit in all honesty anyway? Like what is that supposed mean even to them and their voter class? At what point are the borders deemed "secure" enough? It seems like a goalpost to move if you ask me.

They really are just going full bore into this "It's a WITCH HUNT!" defense even as the probe finds compelling evidence that Trump broke the law and the oath's of his office on a bi-daily basis but sure okay....

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/wissmel/status/1187012642449301504

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Charlz Guybon posted:

Nixon's high was 58% wasn't it? Getting close to that.

I think Nixon had a lot less hardcore team sports politic voters though. I mean Republicans swung to the opposite side during his investigation. Even if ours want to there's a huge swath of their voters that are rabidly insane and will try to end their political career through voting to straight up shooting them while they dine out

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I fought the law and the law whined

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

FizFashizzle posted:

I've said this a few times but all the other would be right wing demagogues like Buchanan, Gingrich, and Palin just kinda faded away and never tried to antagonize the GOP.

Trump will literally Never Log Off.

He will when that final Big Mac Attack takes him from this world

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
haha they're trying to just throwing bodies at the problem like the bush/gore recount

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Some great comments on Trump's use of "lynching"

https://twitter.com/KarenAttiah/status/1186667317868060672?s=19

https://twitter.com/KarenAttiah/status/1186675458676531201?s=19

https://twitter.com/KarenAttiah/status/1186689716093181961?s=19

https://twitter.com/KarenAttiah/status/1186697523131490305?s=19

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Koalas March posted:

Also aren't there already some GOP members in the SCIF or am I misremembering?
Yeah, a half dozen.

I don't think this is a great long term strategy. Like, the obvious response is "okay, well, redaction is finished, let's release all of this very damning evidence all at once."

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This is what happens when the Fox News marks and rubes become the ones with power

They genuinely believe what Fox says about how government works because they are all severely brain damaged, and despite WORKING in the loving government, :wtc:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Maybe they’re storming the room because they heard there was a glory hole in there?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Maybe they’re storming the room because they heard there was a glory hole in there?

Nah they heard there's free mayonnaise and cheese whizz

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
:siren:
https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/1187025782943764480

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dave Grool posted:

haha they're trying to just throwing bodies at the problem like the bush/gore recount

Well I guess it worked before

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Who is that up on the stairs being chosen by the visage of god?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 23, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

TulliusCicero posted:

This is what happens when the Fox News marks and rubes become the ones with power

They genuinely believe what Fox says about how government works because they are all severely brain damaged, and despite WORKING in the loving government, :wtc:

No, nothing these chucklefucks say is ever in good faith.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Dipsht will be speaking from the WH on Syria shortly if anyone cares.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Bottom Liner posted:

No, nothing these chucklefucks say is ever in good faith.

Have you ever heard Louie Ghomert or Gym Jordan actually speak?

They are really that fuckin stupid

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

This isn’t about reality. This is about creating a false narrative for their base as a reason why when they fully give up the facade and start doing openly illegal things and going full open fash “to save the country from rogue democrats”. This is all about holding on to power no matter what and with Fox News being their propaganda machine to blast this as loud as they can this is actually pretty scary l

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Is he still scheduled to go to the HBCU? If he actually shows up to that I'll be amazed.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

He'd have to murder all of them, the conviction vote is based on members present.

Interesting. So there's a possibility that a large number of Republican Senators could just not show up to the trial as a protest. That would allow for a conviction, but then they'd have the "Partisan Decision" card to play for maximum CYA irt their voter base.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I turn it off whenever his voice goes on and I’ve developed a habit of just glazing past when I see his quotes in text. It’s all rubbish.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Stickman posted:

Well, public prisons don’t spend millions of dollars lobbying against prison and judicial reform (though their increasingly-prevalent private subcontractors do and that’s another problem).

You might be able to come up with some reasons why “why do we do talk about bad thing when there’s also other bad things” is a silly argument on your own.

Yes they do that’s what I said in an earlier post. Instead of the owners of private prisons it’s public prison guard unions lobbying for terrible policy. They are going to be interests involved in building prisons as long as we have the system set up this way.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

SpeakSlow posted:

Interesting. So there's a possibility that a large number of Republican Senators could just not show up to the trial as a protest. That would allow for a conviction, but then they'd have the "Partisan Decision" card to play for maximum CYA irt their voter base.

GOP voters are dumb, but I don't think they're that dumb

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

SpeakSlow posted:

I'd be totally fine with this.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Dave Grool posted:

Bush/Gore went their way. :(

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

oxsnard posted:

GOP voters are dumb, but I don't think they're that dumb

I think the the GOP Senators are that dumb, though.

Also, the House can censure every member of that little turd brigade, can't they?

Brony Car posted:

Bush/Gore went their way. :(

Yeah but back then they were bullying county election boards, not House committees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Barbarians at the Gaetz