Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA because I ate a birthday cake unknowingly?

This happened a few days ago.

My sister is someone who litteraly loves her friends and family, and, as she has a passion for cooking, she usually cooks for us.

This morning, I woke up really tired. I didn't think so straight, you know how it is. I went to the fridge to grab something to eat. I found a cake my sister made, took a piece of it, ate it, and went to work.

Later this day, I received some furious messages from my sister : Sis: "Hey, did you eat the cake that was in the fridge?" Me: "Yes, I took a piece of it, it was good." Sis: "Are you really that dumb? You saw a cake shaped in the form of a "18" you didn't think it was for an event or anything? I baked it for my best friend's birthday, tomorrow. I don't have time to make another one. What will I tell her? That I have a loving idiot of a brother who ate some of her cake???" Me: "hey, don't talk to me like that. How was I supposed to know? And I didn't touch the 8 part, so you can give that to her"

After that, she insulted me, told me that I ruined everything, and told me she didn't want to speak to me again. It's been a week and she really avoids to speak to me.

It pisses me off because I was tired and she never spoke to me about that birthday so really I didn't know (nor care, it's our fridge, there's food inside, everyone can eat what's inside).

So, reddit, am I the rear end in a top hat?

Edit: Okay guys, I've read what you wrote. I'm the rear end in a top hat, I'll try to find a way to apologize correctly.

What a dirtbag. Cakes are *for* something, usually an event of some sort, and the act of cutting them is kind of a ritual. This dude knew full well a cake is off-limits until after the event, at which point take what you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Seriously, why would you ever cut into an entire cake? Cakes are for something you rear end in a top hat.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

[/spoiler]

Welcome back to the thread! I see you’re still working on the gimmick, but it’s time to accept that we can’t all be Cumshitter.

cumshitter doesn't have a gimmick. :colbert:

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA because I ate a birthday cake unknowingly?

Cake for breakfast, bad with numbers and doesnt understand when to apologize? I think he is the one getting the 8 cake for his birthday

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
How can you be stupid enough to see an uncut cake and think it is fair game?

This person is obese and gluttonous I'm guessing.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Sunswipe posted:

cumshitter doesn't have a gimmick. :colbert:

Yeah Cumshitter is the only true soul on here. The rest of us are the gimmick.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

The most sincere poster in this thread is a gay supremacist.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I move that all future posts with speculation on penis size have to be edited and approved by CUM, there is no one else I would trust at the intersection of dick size and speculation.

Carry on simply doesn’t have the analytical skill or depth of financial knowledge to really get a feel for this market and grasp and take it in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Leon Einstein posted:

How can you be stupid enough to see an uncut cake and think it is fair game?

This person is obese and gluttonous I'm guessing.

Not just an uncut cake, but one in the shape of an 18. Nobody makes cakes like that just randomly to put in their fridge and eat later. That’s exclusively for birthdays or anniversaries.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
i also like how he describes it just as "a cake" at first

it was 18-shaped, you knew it was 18-shaped, you're intentionally being disingenuous to get people invested

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
“Just give her the eight “, what a fuckin idiot

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please someone help, everything about my bathroom at work is perfect except there is a man in a business suit shouting Gay Pride World Wide and he wont stop sliding sound investment advice through the stall door gap. Going to another bathroom is not an option.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so what do you need help with

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

What you do mean you all don’t keep snacking cakes in your fridge I say between heavy breaths as I go into a diabetic coma

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Barudak posted:

Please someone help, everything about my bathroom at work is perfect except there is a man in a business suit shouting Gay Pride World Wide and he wont stop sliding sound investment advice through the stall door gap. Going to another bathroom is not an option.

Have you tried opening the relationship with your financial planner?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

gym up, hit the facebook, delete the lawyer

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

AITA for getting mad at my gf for not editing her Snapchat bitmoji?

quote:

So me (m22) and my gf(21) have been having issues lately, and long story short I need to show her that I want her.

It's kinda hard when she moved across country though. Ever since we met I've shown resentment towards her nasty bitmoji, since it's really unsexy when she sends it. I've said so too, but she insists on keeping it because she likes it and tend to get emotionally attached to stuff very quick.

Now, after we've had problems (and still kinda are) I show my discontent with it and get angry.

My reason is that when I need to step up my bf game, I think it's bad when she doesn't want to do such a small thing when she knows it bothers me. I know it's a very minor issue, so I'm posting here. AITA?

Edit: I forgot to mention she sends it all the time. And in texts that are supposed to make me feel something, but I rather feel discusted.

I know it's a cartoon

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hobo Clown posted:

Wow I guess I'm old I don't understand any of that

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Another Bill posted:

I'm pretty sure her texting is shrimping his youngman.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DandyLion posted:

Sure, but she already packaged her fresco and hes a bit of a egg needle, not even counting how theyre more than a blue whale apart so I dont think they should stay together.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I need a measure of his penis to within at least the nearest tenth of an inch before I can make a judgement.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Of course some dumbass on Reddit is arguing that it is no big deal to present the cake with a bite out of it and that the sister is just being dramatic. I guarantee that guy posts on The Donald.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Another Bill posted:

You can use the Bitmoji app to make a little cartoon version of yourself as your Snapchat avatar. Apparently she made a really ugly one and he wants her to change it?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I thought maybe Nasty Bitmoji was their dj name.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Hobo Clown posted:

Oh god I'm an old man now

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

OT but there's a big feature on The Atlantic that went up today all about /r/relationships

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/10/reddit-moderation-relationships-subreddit-memes/600322/

I haven't read it yet, but I thought some people might be interested.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blade Runner posted:

Congratulations, here is your complementary AARP subscription and keep off the grass sign

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DandyLion posted:

Shrimpin ain't easy.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib

Another Bill posted:

OT but there's a big feature on The Atlantic that went up today all about /r/relationships

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/10/reddit-moderation-relationships-subreddit-memes/600322/

I haven't read it yet, but I thought some people might be interested.

quote:

“I’m a parent. I don’t like bad behavior,” Anne explained. She doesn’t believe in getting worked up over it; she just believes in rooting it out. “It’s our subreddit; it’s our fiefdom. We don’t have to explain ourselves to anybody,” she said. She is perfectly aware that no one in r/relationships would mistake her for a democratic leader.
Reddit's terrible moderation system in a nutshell.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

Another Bill posted:

You can make a cartoon character of yourself to have as a profile pic on snapchat and as smileys in the chat part

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

An Engineer's Progress from This World to That Which is to Come

I [21M] am too quick to troubleshoot

quote:

When my ex-girlfriend [21F] broke up with me, she insisted that it was 100% because of stuff in her life. When I asked whether there was anything that I could change about myself, she didn't really answer affirmatively (she simply said to find someone to love because I was good at loving). However, I believe that I have identified a habit that sometimes makes it hard to communicate with me.

I work with computers for a living, and my engineering degree is related to computers. In my free time, I work with computers and electronics. Whenever someone mentions a problem, my first reaction is to start brainstorming solutions. That's my personality, and it works well for my occupation. However, looking back on some conversations that were not related to computers, I realized that I still did the same thing, and that made it difficult to connect with the person.

Here's an example: my ex once said that her eyes were dry. The first thing out of my mouth, without hesitation, was, "Hm, do you have saline solution?" Here's the thing: she deals with dry eyes all the time. She already was familiar with how to deal with dry eyes. It didn't occur to me that she might have wanted to share how she was feeling, and I inadvertently shut the conversation down.

I first realized that this was a problem while I was reflecting on how supportive my ex was of me over the six years that we were together. She always listened to everything that I had to say, whether it was about machines, work, school, science, or anything. I realize now that I was not for her what she was for me. My analytical personality probably discouraged her from sharing her feelings. (Possibly related: she didn't let me know about the stuff in her life that forced her to break up with me until she broke up with me.)

I talked to a friend, who suggested that I hold back on troubleshooting until prompted or until I ask for permission. She said that an example of a prompt would be, "What do you think that I should do?" and that an example of me asking for permission would be, "Would you like to know what I think?" or, "Is there something that I can do to help?" If the person wants a solution, I am then cleared to suggest one.

This seems like a good start. Does Reddit have any other suggestions for making sure that I am emotionally available? I want to make sure that I don't push people away unintentionally or make myself seem unapproachable. I want to be better in my next relationship.

TL;DR: I habitually respond in conversations with solutions. How can I pay more attention to other people's feelings instead?

[UPDATE] "I [22M] am too quick to troubleshoot"—I don't agree anymore.

quote:

Eleven months ago, I posted this. It came back up because someone wrote me a reply today. I don't agree with what I wrote anymore.

What I said was true. I was, indeed, too quick to troubleshoot. I'm a software developer; whenever something isn't working right, my first reaction has always been to spend an afternoon debugging and deploying a patch. I have since practiced turning off my engineering mind. I was trying to engineer everything in my life to perfect. The truthfulness of the post is not what I disagree with.

The reason that I disagree with that post now is that I oversimplified and probably mischaracterized the reason that my ex [22F] broke up with me. At the time, I was hoping that I could simply fix a problem with myself and be ready to date again. When my ex broke up with me, she cited a list of personal reasons (which I won't share). Back then, my mind was unable to accept that. I kept insisting to myself that there had to be something that I did wrong.

Since my last post, I have realized that relationships are messy and complicated. Not everything in life is predictable and deterministic. My ex's reasons for breaking up with me were complex. I used to wish that my ex had opened up to me about her troubles, but I can now see why she didn't; she couldn't have expected me to listen anyway. I believed that I was "living the dream." I was living in such a perfect version of reality that I tended to ignore anything that contradicted it. It's not like I didn't listen to her; I just wouldn't have understood her at a fundamental level that I can't really explain.

I haven't dated since the breakup because I, like my ex, needed to work on myself without a relationship. My new attitude is that even if something bad happens, I'll be able to pull through, so I can think less about the future and more about the present. I don't have control over everything, but that's okay! I don't need it anymore.

TL;DR: I was troubleshooting my breakup a year ago. I have learned that most things are actually really nuanced and complicated.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Blade Runner posted:

:same:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My (33M) wife (30F) subtly told off a coworker (29F) at a work dinner. Tensions are high now in the office

Don't gently caress with Yen

Lilac and gooseberries

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

i'm not going to be satisfied until we get a profile of this thread in the new yorker

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I ask my friend to not come over when she's on her period?

Let me preface this by saying that I have nothing against women having periods or anything of the sort. It's a natural process of life and so on.

The thing is, I get really squeamish around blood. Like, projectile vomiting squeamish. The smell or sight of gore pretty much makes me feel horrid.

My friend has been hanging out with me more and more, to the point where she comes almost daily. The thing is, whenever I empty the trash from the bathroom, I occasionally see or smell her pads, and it just really grosses me out.

WIBTA if I ask her to just, not come over when she's on her period?

edit:

I do appreciate every comment, but just to clarify, blood doesn't simply make me uncomfortable for a few moments. It pretty much makes me rush to the nearest toilet or sink near instantly. This is not something I can control. My own wounds and scrapes have made me puke in the past, and even a bit of blood makes me feel horrible. Therapy is not an option for me right now.

I am aware she cannot control that she has periods, but I am also unable to control the fact that I feel squeamish over blood. I do understand that my question would be insensitive and rude, however, and will look into other things.

Thank you.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

datajugend posted:

You can make a cartoon character of yourself to have as a profile pic on snapchat and as smileys in the chat part

I can't even begin to imagine how few problems I would have to have in my life for this to be the thing worth torpedoing a relationship over.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i'm not going to be satisfied until we get a profile of this thread in the new yorker

We're already monitored by the feds. Is that not enough outside attention for you?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dazerbeams posted:

We're already monitored by the feds. Is that not enough outside attention for you?

And the :cumpolice:

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Dazerbeams posted:

hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Just serve it sideways and say they're infinity years old! They'll live forever!