Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I worry that this bullshit stunt of Gaetz and others "storming" the hearings is in fact good optics from the perspective of people who may be persuaded the impeachment is being handled unfairly.

Its the Miami thing. Where a bunch people showed up to rush the building and beat thier chests during the Bush recount. They think that'll work again. What would Roger Stone do type of a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Every member of Congress is a possible security threat, knowingly or unknowingly. Hence the whole "lock up your cell phones outside the SCIF" because who the gently caress knows which foreign threat has which Congressman's phone bugged.

If any normal person just did what the House GOP did it would take all of 3 seconds for them to get charged with a whole assortment of things.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

he got kicked out of a hearing a couple days ago iirc

Well I know Gaetz did, I was talking about Nunes back during the early stages of the Mueller report.

Retro42 posted:

If any normal person just did what the House GOP did it would take all of 3 seconds for them to get charged with a whole assortment of things.

Unless that normal person was James O'Keefe

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Mahoning posted:

... who the gently caress knows which foreign threat has which Congressman's phone bugged.

I'll give you a hint. All of the folks with 'R' next to their name, and many of the folks with 'D' next to theirs as well.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

evilweasel posted:

this is not true

yeah, while most "lean republican" and "lean democrat" independents vote party lines, can't ignore that 9% of Obama voters picked Trump in 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Will the dems actually punish them for this violation of both House rules and laws? Or is this a time they stand tall for :decorum:

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Throw all these fuckers in prison

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Nail Rat posted:

Will the dems actually punish them for this violation of both House rules and laws? Or is this a time they stand tall for :decorum:

I'm of the opinion that in this case, :decorum: is the better call. They're looking to be martyred.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

They could censure, of which the only downside is the GOP being all "oh this is just a tit-for-tat because we tried to censure Adam Schiff".

Anything else like actual arrests and charges involves the DOJ so that's a complete dead end as long as humanoid toad William Barr is the AG.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm sure Bill Barr will get right on that

That's why you should just forward any national security concerns directly to the CIA.

I wanna bunch of House Republicans black-sited.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Before anyone asks, House members can be unseated only by a 2/3 majority of the rest of the House.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
You'll note that this Republican hissy fit is coming at a time when witnesses are not only choosing to throw Trump under the bus but competing to see who can throw him under the biggest bus.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I'm of the opinion that in this case, :decorum: is the better call. They're looking to be martyred.

Yeah, it'd be satisfying to arrest the lot of them but I think it'd feed into the Republican's narrative.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

That's why you should just forward any national security concerns directly to the CIA.

I'm sure Director Haspel will get right on that

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Cactrot posted:

Charge 'em under the espionage act.

Heh, i'll honestly be shocked if any of these fuckheads get arrested, or at the least detained, let alone charged with anything

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Tim Whatley posted:

Throw all these fuckers in prison

I was wondering who the Sergeant at Arms actually is, and the position actually sounds really lame.

quote:

In accordance with the Rules of the House, on the rare occasions when a Member becomes unruly, the Sergeant at Arms, on order of the Speaker, lifts the mace from its pedestal and presents it before the offenders, thereby restoring order.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

i've yet to see anyone cite the laws they have broken and usually if it's obvious it shouldn't be hard to say where the statute is. it's, no doubt, a violation of house rules, ethics, and regulations/protocol surrounding SCIFs

Cactrot posted:

Charge 'em under the espionage act.

anyone who thinks this isn't a joke is not allowed to talk about this subject

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Angry_Ed posted:

They could censure, of which the only downside is the GOP being all "oh this is just a tit-for-tat because we tried to censure Adam Schiff".

Anything else like actual arrests and charges involves the DOJ so that's a complete dead end as long as humanoid toad William Barr is the AG.

Couldn't they call the local flatfoots?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

PhazonLink posted:

I want to live in the timelive where Donkey Kong with a Dem badge comes out at the top of those spiral stairs and rolls a barrel down.

And then Mario wiht a dem communism badge does the hammer powerup thing.

Molotov would have done an awesome thing from that vantage point

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Retro42 posted:

They are desperate to get the hearings opened NOW because they REALLY need to get witness stories straight yesterday. Every additional deposition taken is basically some other Trump toady eating a perjury charge.

The funny thing is that there ARE Republicans in there and they ARE asking questions of the witness. They are also doubtlessly letting people in the White House know what is being said, but Trump and co have crimed so much and so badly that second hand recounting of the testimony isn't enough. They need to have a video.

Also Trump is pissed that people aren't defending him enough and like all narcissists is extremely paranoid that people are betraying him whenever he can't see them. He wants the hearings to be public so he can keep an eye on GOP representatives, and people like Gaetz want them to be public (and be a part of them) to get head-pats from Trump for being loyal toadies.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bubbacub posted:

I was wondering who the Sergeant at Arms actually is, and the position actually sounds really lame.

...Unless they fitted Members of Congress with restraining bolts and the Mace is the controller for that, I don't see how that is supposed to work.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

evilweasel posted:

"process" arguments are well known for not moving the needle at all with voters

voters did not give a flying gently caress about Merrick Garland not getting a vote, for example
Democrats don't have a media empire devoted to making their process arguments headline news for days/weeks on end.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1187035966256701444

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Angry_Ed posted:

...Unless they fitted Members of Congress with restraining bolts and the Mace is the controller for that, I don't see how that is supposed to work.

It used to have +5 against Unruly-types but that got patched out recently.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eke out posted:

i've yet to see anyone cite the laws they have broken and usually if it's obvious it shouldn't be hard to say where the statute is. it's, no doubt, a violation of house rules, ethics, and regulations/protocol surrounding SCIFs

anyone who thinks this isn't a joke is not allowed to talk about this subject

Even if there were a law broken, wouldn't the clown brigade be covered under the immunity that Congress critters have for nearly everything they do in the House and Senate?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Shifty Pony posted:

The funny thing is that there ARE Republicans in there and they ARE asking questions of the witness.

That's why I would slam them on this. This stunt can backfire hugely even on some of the Fox News viewers when you attack them for compromising national security, and the fact that there were GOP members in the room already, and they could ask them for any information they wanted.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

They've been recaptured all right. Enlisted into the turk forces.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Angry_Ed posted:

lol it doesn't do poo poo

quote:

The mace was used to restore order on the House floor on the evening of January 31, 1877, during a special session regarding the election in Florida. Tensions flared and Speaker Samuel Randall "was unable to stop the Members from running from desk to desk, while conducting loud conversations." The Sergeant at Arms presented the Mace, but to little effect. House rules state that in Members should be arrested when ignoring the authority of the Mace, but in this case since there were so many members involved, the Speaker adjourned the session.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
:lol: Trump told them to defend him more strongly and this is what they came up with.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

If he's anything like ours in Canada, he's still technically a law enforcement officer.

When that dude tried to storm parliament a few years ago it was the sergeant at arms who shot him.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Let's check in on Zuckerbot

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1187026377557626880

oh

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bubbacub posted:

Perhaps they need to give, going forward, the Sergeant of Arms the power to deputize people to act in their behalf and set bounties for subpoenas in the event the DOJ is uncooperative.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TyrantWD posted:

That's why I would slam them on this. This stunt can backfire hugely even on some of the Fox News viewers when you attack them for compromising national security, and the fact that there were GOP members in the room already, and they could ask them for any information they wanted.

They can ask...but they leak at their own peril. They're supposed to keep a tight lid on. Like a grand jury.

This whole SCIF stunt is simply an attempt to dilute the ongoing narrative that Trump has been criming wholesale and has been caught out, with evidence coming from every quarter. A narrative that Trump himself is powerless to resist unwittingly feeding on a regular basis.

The best thing the Democrats could do is let the stunt fade away quietly. Fox'll have its news cycle with it, although it's questionable whether it won't be eclipsed by the endless series of crimin' tweets/revelations.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 23, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

Even if there were a law broken, wouldn't the clown brigade be covered under the immunity that Congress critters have for nearly everything they do in the House and Senate?

no, they are immune from prosecution for speech acts they do in their role as elected representatives, hence "Speech and Debate clause" (and there's another deal about how you can't physically arrest them while they're at work unless it's for treason/felonies, which p much never applies)

there's no general parliamentary immunity here, just the specific immunity for things you say. this is why, for instance, Mike Gravel could read the Pentagon Papers into the record despite them being classified

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1187037207015628801

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

The GOP stunt is also to try and spur the media to focus on the partisan fighting re: impeachment instead of the trickle of bad news for trump. They desperately need to be able to make it a truthless, both-sides knife fight.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/RepMattGaetz/status/1187036559637393413?s=19

lmfao

maybe i'm wrong and there is a law that this was breaking outright

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/RepMarkWalker/status/1187039766111494145

These loving cowards hahaha :allears:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

The funny thing is that there ARE Republicans in there and they ARE asking questions of the witness. They are also doubtlessly letting people in the White House know what is being said, but Trump and co have crimed so much and so badly that second hand recounting of the testimony isn't enough. They need to have a video.

Also Trump is pissed that people aren't defending him enough and like all narcissists is extremely paranoid that people are betraying him whenever he can't see them. He wants the hearings to be public so he can keep an eye on GOP representatives, and people like Gaetz want them to be public (and be a part of them) to get head-pats from Trump for being loyal toadies.

And these sessions being closed door is perhaps most useful for the republican members. It allows them to actually do their drat jobs rather than public recordings forcing them to put on a song and dance tantrum for daddy and his cultists. The stupid stunt being pulled now is the perfect argument for why these sessions should not be public.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

What the gently caress is the point of asking this question? The answer is going to be a lie.

Honestly, I'm pretty convinced that The Invention of Lying is actually a documentary about reporters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Why aren't they all being removed by security?