Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Haunter in Japanese is a Ghost-type named Ghost and I just think that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Normal is such an odd type, I thought maybe it could be something different in Japanese like Dark/Evil but nope it's just Normal. Strange.

It makes perfect sense in the context of the first game because it represents normal things.

Rats, pigeons, foxdogs, big ol’ fat fucks

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Strange type needs to be a thing

There are so many possibilities:
Strange/Bug
Strange/Dragon
Strange/Grass
Strange/Ghost

tell me you don't want to raise those mons. tell me with a straight face.

All non-normal type pokemon are strange. Normal type means your Pokemon likes Pumpkin Spice Lattes and their favorite show is the office.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

TheKingofSprings posted:

It makes perfect sense in the context of the first game because it represents normal things.

Rats, pigeons, foxdogs, big ol’ fat fucks

digital polygons, moon fairies, aborted clones

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

less laughter posted:

Balloons, kaiju kangaroos, literally just a bull

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

less laughter posted:

When the entire game is digital objects what could be more normal than a computer program

Clefairy was going to be the mascot so it would’ve been the standard for everything else to be measured against.

There have been more clones in real life than flaming firedogs!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

why is azurill normal

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

and the electric lizard too

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Normal made sense when it was non-elemental, but yea they went and paired it with elements later so... :psyduck:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

aahhh!!ddium posted:

and the electric lizard too

Their reasoning is that it's a normal lizard that generates electricity from sunlight.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I don't know if its as good as PokeClicker, but I just discovered GoomyClicker.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

less laughter posted:

3 types are differently named in Japan:

• Fire = Flame-type
  • Psychic = Esper-type
  • Dark = Evil-type

in case you're like me and only discovered this recently, 'esper' is derivative of E.S.P., like it's literally E.S.P.-doer, it's not an original japanese term made up for final fantasy 6

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

less laughter posted:

Their reasoning is that it's a normal lizard that generates electricity from sunlight.

i guess normal/combo is kind of supposed to be normal mons with a twist

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

less laughter posted:

sounds like a fire type to me

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

qnqnx posted:

It must be the bad take power hour.

I refuse to believe anyone likes Magmortar

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Baller Ina posted:

I do.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i think it would look better if the pink was a different color but magmortar looks like a mega man boss and is cool

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

aahhh!!ddium posted:

magmortar is cool

mods??

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Super No Vacancy posted:

in case you're like me and only discovered this recently, 'esper' is derivative of E.S.P., like it's literally E.S.P.-doer, it's not an original japanese term made up for final fantasy 6

It's also not a japanese term at all it was invented in America, Japan just took a liking to it as the name for psychics.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Dienes posted:

I don't know if its as good as PokeClicker, but I just discovered GoomyClicker.

:catstare:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Goomies everythimg aboit it

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Baller Ina posted:

I will rep anything that has twin arm cannons.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Baller Ina posted:

Magmortar is wild because it somehow looks stupider than the duck with a butt forehead it evolved from

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Take off your nostalgia glasses and then compare them again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

less laughter posted:

Take off your nostalgia glasses and then compare them again.

*removes glasses*

wow Magmar looks stupid as poo poo and I hope no one wants to use it, imagine how stupid an evolved form of it with a blastoise ripoff cannon would look

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Magmortar is wild because it somehow looks stupider than the duck with a butt forehead it evolved from

Arm loving cannons.
Similarly, Rhyperior is also cool as hell.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Magearna too.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Electivire is dope tho.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zedd posted:

Electivire is a dope tho.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Rhyperior is the phrase "built like a brick poo poo house" given form.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It has a really big postgame. A story that actually tries. It was nice to bug types. It did really well at the things that Goons bitch about the most so its Goons favorite. In real life I really don't think its the consensus like it is in this thread. I see Gen IV fans way more often in real life.

Bad_opinions.txt

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Rhyperior is a Teamster rhino and is super cool.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Strange type needs to be a thing

There are so many possibilities:
Strange/Bug
Strange/Dragon
Strange/Grass
Strange/Ghost

tell me you don't want to raise those mons. tell me with a straight face.
I could see the Goomy and Tangela lines being Strange/Dragon and Strange/Grass, nothing comes to mind for the other two though.

Also I guess Mr. Mime would be getting retyped again.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Bring back bird type you cowards

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Normal should be renamed something like "Typeless" or something and all dual types with Normal should have their Normal typing removed. I'm firmly convinced the only reason part-Normals exist is spite. GameFreak was so mad at people pointing out Normal/Flying made no sense for so long that they just started putting Normal on random Pokemon in Gen 6/7 as some kind of middle finger.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ka0 posted:

Bad_opinions.txt
What? B/W2 are the best.

Also Normal type are not typeless, they have an immunity and a weakness. Pretty sure it's on purpose. Although in my experience it doesn't do much besides add a weakness to Pyroar, Heliolisk ect. The ghost immunity doesn't come up much.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Ghost is one of those types where it's not useful for coverage and it has no interesting damaging moves with notable effects so it's basically only ever going to be seen as STAB. A few Pokemon do use Shadow Sneak as their only priority option, but usually it's only prominent where actual ghost types are prominent.

Which means you see it the most in Ubers, where Lunala, Gengar, Marshadow, Arceus-Ghost, and Giratina are prominent. There, the fact that Arceus-Normal is immune to ghost is actually relevant.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Bring back bird type you cowards

It is quite interesting how even now there's such an apparent bird/not-bird divide in the Flying type. Birds make up such a huge proportion of the Type. 52 out of 113, about half, which includes the Doduo/Dotrio who are "flightless" and not counting fellow birds Decidueye and the Piplup line. Likewise the moves are split more or less in half between "Bird stuff" involving beaks and feathers, and stuff involving wind and floating.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
In the current Pokémon Go cup meta, Girafarig is a top pick because its Normal typing resists Ghosts, making it more useful than other Psychic types as this meta is full of ghosts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What? B/W2 are the best.

Also Normal type are not typeless, they have an immunity and a weakness. Pretty sure it's on purpose. Although in my experience it doesn't do much besides add a weakness to Pyroar, Heliolisk ect. The ghost immunity doesn't come up much.

He edited so it reads less damning but it still reads as "heh, goons and their dumbass gen v. now gen IV, that's a gentleman's game"