Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Maps are cool. Dungeon maps are hella cool.

Mapping makes sense when the entire game is the dungeon and it’s frequently changing around you to create new play opportunities. It doesn’t make any sense for one-use dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
My decision to polish and publish a project I've been working on has given me new respect for layout people. I think I hate InDesign more than life itself.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ilor posted:

Back on topic: theironjef, good point on Chainmail being the roots of D&D. But it's probably worth noting that there was a stretch in there where D&D got away from maps and miniatures and grid-based movement and tac-sim, and the only thing you used graph paper for was mapping a dungeon (also: why did we ever do this as players? What were we thinking?). That era - arguably starting around brown/red box and going until some time in 2E AD&D - was when a lot of folks (myself included) were introduced to role-playing as a concept. And much of my early experience definitely fell squarely into the realm of "number go up," but somewhere along the way the focus changed. I think a lot of that had to do with people actually digging in and examining "Game Theory (tm)" as a thing, and coming to some interesting conclusions about "what are we actually trying to accomplish here, and what mechanisms best foster those goals?"

You're equating the house rules you used in the late 80s/early 90s as a universal experience for D&D nerds (and probably working in some unresolved belief that the internet has farted out about the game being a videogame now). It's never not been a tactical simulator, it just used to be a worse one. I'm also an old dude who's played every edition and get my primary roots worked in during 2e, I just remember that we were kludging the poo poo out of it to make it playable while hiking. Come on, lightning bolt bounce calculations? Half the spells being cones? Movement in inches? Every edition has been a war game sim. You just got all rosy about one because you were a kid then.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

theironjef posted:

You're equating the house rules you used in the late 80s/early 90s as a universal experience for D&D nerds (and probably working in some unresolved belief that the internet has farted out about the game being a videogame now). It's never not been a tactical simulator, it just used to be a worse one. I'm also an old dude who's played every edition and get my primary roots worked in during 2e, I just remember that we were kludging the poo poo out of it to make it playable while hiking. Come on, lightning bolt bounce calculations? Half the spells being cones? Movement in inches? Every edition has been a war game sim. You just got all rosy about one because you were a kid then.
We actually didn't use much in the way of house rules, especially once Unearthed Arcana and the Dungeoneers/Wilderness Survival Guides came out, as those answered most of the open questions we had for most of the stuff that our parties ended up doing. We tended to be long on travel and exploration and short on fighting. As a result, much of the stuff you mention (precise cone calculations and discrete movement distances) never really figured much into our games. Now, you could totally argue that we were "doing it wrong" and I might even agree, but we weren't doing any heavy hacking. I reserved that for Shadowrun much later in my RPG career.

And just to be clear, I'm not holding any edition of D&D out as a paragon example of TTRPGs. With the hindsight of game theory I think it's pretty clear that they are garbage games that absent massive marketing and unrelenting nerd nostalgia would have long since died on the vine. But they introduced concepts that were revolutionary for their time and deserve credit where it's due. But looking back on it now? Oof. Those games were awful and we were awful at running/playing them.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I think the idea that a ttrpg needs to primarily have rules for influencing the narrative is just wrong. Don’t get me wrong, games that are mechanically focused on the narrative are fun as much as games that focus on producing satisfying combat. I think saying “TTRPGs need to be story games otherwise they might as well be board games” is unnecessarily purist and is conflating your personal preferences as some sort of universal truth of game design

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I don't think it needs to be "primarily" narrative. What is a TTRPG? It's different things to different people, obviously (all well and good), but there are certainly some elements we can agree on, yes? And maybe I am too influenced by The Forge, which was very clear in its use of gaming terminology, terminology that's probably not broadly shared here. I don't want to imply any kind of purism, and certainly the lines between board game/card game/wargame/role-playing game can and have been blurred. But it still leaves the fundamental questions of a) what is it that players in your game are going to do, and b) what are the best mechanics to capture those actions?

And that is universal for game design, RPG or no.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I roll 4dF for Pokemon Dueling and get a 2. I'm going to spend a Fate Point to invoke my Vicious Charizard Aspect, as well as tag a free invoke of my I Hate Hunter Aspect. Comparing my result of 6 to the PokeFate Ladder, I got an It's Super Effective result!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

thetoughestbean posted:

I think the idea that a ttrpg needs to primarily have rules for influencing the narrative is just wrong. Don’t get me wrong, games that are mechanically focused on the narrative are fun as much as games that focus on producing satisfying combat. I think saying “TTRPGs need to be story games otherwise they might as well be board games” is unnecessarily purist and is conflating your personal preferences as some sort of universal truth of game design
All rules influence the narrative. Every single rule in the game in some way influences the narrative. There is no such thing as a narrative-neutral ruleset.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ilor posted:

I don't want to imply any kind of purism,

You said that D&D isn’t a role-playing game, what is that but purism?

Seriously, you need to step back and look at your posts and think about how you’re coming across.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Splicer posted:

All rules influence the narrative. Every single rule in the game in some way influences the narrative. There is no such thing as a narrative-neutral ruleset.

Well, yes. However, it’s a matter of focus, and my point is that a system that focuses on combat mechanics is no less valid than a system that focuses on replicating the feeling of CW’s Riverdale

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

Well, yes. However, it’s a matter of focus, and my point is that a system that focuses on combat mechanics is no less valid than a system that focuses on replicating the feeling of CW’s Riverdale

Only if those combat mechanics are in service to the game's themes.

If you make a game about hosting dinner parties and include 200 pages of combat rules and options, it doesn't matter how mechanically clever those combat options are, you've made a mistake.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Combat for combat's sake is fun and I shouldn't need to justify that opinion.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

IronicDongz posted:

Combat for combat's sake is fun and I shouldn't need to justify that opinion.

This depends pretty significantly on the the combat system, I would think? There are systems where combat is a huge pain for no real payoff of fun, and systems where combat is immensely fun.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

If you make a game about hosting dinner parties and include 200 pages of combat rules and options, it doesn't matter how mechanically clever those combat options are, you've made a mistake.

Yeah, the shadowrun problem. The way the mechanics are setup incentivize certain behaviors. If combat takes the majority of the game session, then combat in incentivized, even if the game in theory would like you to do other things. On the other hand if combat is unpredictable and deadly, it combat is disincentivized even if the game is supposed to have a combat focus. Similarly, advancement should follow the behaviors you want the players to pursue. 3.5 has giant tables of rules for how to calculate xp gain from combat and traps, while only having a throwaway paragraph for gaining xp any other way.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lemon-Lime posted:

Pokémon as a series has been fundamentally about combat since day one. It is by no means a stretch to say that yes, the combat would be in service to the theme of “Pokémon battles are fun to do”

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Pokémon as a series has been fundamentally about combat since day one. It is by no means a stretch to say that yes, the combat would be in service to the theme of “Pokémon battles are fun to do”

It's literally a game inspired and made by people who put bugs to fight each other inside aquariums and poo poo

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lemon-Lime posted:

On second thought a game about hosting a dinner party that also has 200 pages of combat rules sounds amazing. What kind of wild dinner parties are happening

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Something out of Saki or a similar contemporary writer, I'd imagine.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

thetoughestbean posted:

You said that D&D isn’t a role-playing game, what is that but purism?
No, I didn't. I said it wasn't about role-playing. Lemon-lime and fool_of_sound have the right of it - the vast majority the rules in D&D are dedicated to killing monsters and taking their stuff. The mechanics of a game influence and incentivize certain playstyles and player behaviors, so while you can have role-playing experiences in the context of those rules, it doesn't change the fact that the game is about...killing monsters and taking their stuff. So yeah, it's a role-playing game, just not a terribly well-designed one.

Let me ask you this: do the D&D rules as written support a pacifist character getting XP advancements as well as a character who is killing monsters and taking their stuff?

thetoughestbean posted:

Awesome, so how much of the crunch of Pokemon's combat system do you mean to capture in these rules? How detailed will it be? How much page space will you devote to it vice other systems in the game? And can the desired level of detail be captured in simple mechanics, or is it going all-in and therefore going to be a god-awful, calculator-requiring slog that's just a tedious chore to play at the table? Because if so, you're better off just playing Pokemon.

Also: Great! But what happens when you're not in combat? How much time are the PCs going to spend not in combat? How is the story around what the PCs are doing going to be structured, and how are conflicts that result from that going to be resolved? If the answer is, "duh, combat" then why not just play Pokemon and be done with it?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Dedicate 2/3 to combat, keep type effectiveness and discreet moves, similar to 4e or Gamma World or Strike or any number of other existing and good systems.

The downtime should be devoted to exploration, contest, bonding exercises and training with your pokemon, ideally with mechanical rewards based on how the scenes go.

This seems pretty obvious?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemon-Lime posted:

Only if the dinner party hosting is only 5 pages long. If you have a monumental tome of dinner party hosting which covers both what to do if someone uses the pinking fork instead of the gloucestershire fork to tap lord hemmingsworth on the shoulder AND what to do if someone dual wields a pinking fork/gloucestershire fork combo to stab lord hemmingsworth in the shoulder then that's a perfectly fine dinner party game. If the equipment list contains 30 types of glaive guissarme glaive but rolls forks and spoons into "eating utensil, fancy" then what you've written is a combat game.

D&D isn't a combat and magic game because it contains page after page after page of combat and magic rules, it's a combat and magic game because it contains page after page of combat and magic rules while talking to people boils down to is "Eh I dunno roleplay it? Or cast a spell on them we have spells for that."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ilor posted:

No, I didn't. I said it wasn't about role-playing. Lemon-lime and fool_of_sound have the right of it - the vast majority the rules in D&D are dedicated to killing monsters and taking their stuff. The mechanics of a game influence and incentivize certain playstyles and player behaviors, so while you can have role-playing experiences in the context of those rules, it doesn't change the fact that the game is about...killing monsters and taking their stuff. So yeah, it's a role-playing game, just not a terribly well-designed one.

Let me ask you this: do the D&D rules as written support a pacifist character getting XP advancements as well as a character who is killing monsters and taking their stuff?

Awesome, so how much of the crunch of Pokemon's combat system do you mean to capture in these rules? How detailed will it be? How much page space will you devote to it vice other systems in the game? And can the desired level of detail be captured in simple mechanics, or is it going all-in and therefore going to be a god-awful, calculator-requiring slog that's just a tedious chore to play at the table? Because if so, you're better off just playing Pokemon.

Also: Great! But what happens when you're not in combat? How much time are the PCs going to spend not in combat? How is the story around what the PCs are doing going to be structured, and how are conflicts that result from that going to be resolved?
With you 100% up until here. This is all stuff you need to think about when designing the game.

Ilor posted:

If the answer is, "duh, combat" then why not just play Pokemon and be done with it?
Don't be that guy. Even a game that slavishly replicated pokemon down to the tiniest detail would play differently at a table with friends than on a PC on your own. One of the differences would be "It is terrible", but still.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Moriatti posted:

Dedicate 2/3 to combat, keep type effectiveness and discreet moves, similar to 4e or Gamma World or Strike or any number of other existing and good systems.

The downtime should be devoted to exploration, contest, bonding exercises and training with your pokemon, ideally with mechanical rewards based on how the scenes go.
If the cartoons are anything to go by, contests, bonding exercises, and training sound an awful lot like slightly different flavors of "fighting Pokemon battles." So that leaves... exploration.

Moriatti posted:

This seems pretty obvious?
If it were obvious, someone would have done it already in order to cash in on the fatty boatloads of money they could wring out of the IP with it.

But it would be pretty rad if huge numbers of tweens' and teens' first exposure to RPGs was a smooth transition from a card game they already know and love.

I think the smartest play might be to do something like Sentinels of the Multiverse, where there are separate, additional decks for things like the environment and the opposition, and have those cards integrate seamlessly with the actual Pokemon card game. And have a deck devoted to story elements that links the battles together. Thus, you'd have a card-driven RPG (where draw order is your randomizer) that builds upon the mechanics of the card game. Done righ, you wouldn't even need a GM.

gently caress, I would play that, especially as a way to get my kids into RPGs.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Splicer posted:

Don't be that guy. Even a game that slavishly replicated pokemon down to the tiniest detail would play differently at a table with friends than on a PC on your own. One of the differences would be "It is terrible", but still.
Totally true, but I was thinking more about the card game (which you are already playing at a table with friends) rather than a computer game. Should have been more clear and less hyperbolic, though, you're spot on.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ilor posted:

Also: Great! But what happens when you're not in combat? How much time are the PCs going to spend not in combat? How is the story around what the PCs are doing going to be structured, and how are conflicts that result from that going to be resolved? If the answer is, "duh, combat" then why not just play Pokemon and be done with it?

Okay, a lot of things to unpack here. First of all you said that D&D was really just “at best a fantasy tac-sim game.” Do you not see how that smacks of purism?

Second, having a satisfying crunchy tactical combat system doesn’t mean you can’t have good rules for role-playing, either. That being said, a world or story that focuses on combat should probably have the bulk of its rules be about combat, and Pokémon, in most of its forms, focuses on combat. (Combat isn’t life or death stakes, either, most of the time it’s like challenging somebody to one-on-one basketball, so using it as a go-to option for settling conflicts isn’t bad like you make it out to be)

As for your question, I don’t think D&D ought to support hardcore pacifist characters in the same way that a Pokémon system shouldn’t have to support a PC that doesn’t want to have Pokémon, in the same way that Lancer shouldn’t support a character who refuses to get into a mech. I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove there.

As for your last set of questions, in Pokémon, a character would spend their time traveling, talking to NPCs, solving mysteries, etc. I don’t believe that those sorts of things need in-depth rules, especially in something like Pokémon. For the tone of something like Pokémon, lighter rules for interacting with the larger world outside of combat would probably be important.

I would probably have the trainer characters have 3-4 social stats and encourage the players to think of outside of the box approaches to using their Pokémon, stuff like “I have my Poochyena track down the missing mayor by scent”, that sort of thing, but I don’t think having in-depth rules for something like that would fit the tone of the game world.

And finally, as for why not just play the video game and be done with it, well, there are people who want to have a narrative that’s customized to them, with a backstory and character they thought up themselves, and the ability to shape the narrative in ways that you can’t in the games.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Ilor posted:

Depends which D&D. An OSR or 4e D&D PC (and not even counting the "pacifist" cleric ) can do spectacularly well under the rules as written. In the case of the OSR you get roughly 80% of your XP from loot rather than killing monsters, and in 4e you can get serious amounts of XP from skill challenges. Other editions? Not so much.

But getting back to Pokemon in specific to me the biggest problem is not that it's combat heavy, but how solitary the combat is. In the games there's only one PC - and in the cartoon although Ash has Misty and Brock, and Jessie & James have each other and Meowth (and a Team Rocket RPG sounds fun) even the combat is The Decker Problem writ large; when Ash is fighting; even if it's the most fun combat system in the world what's everyone else doing? Even if they are playing the Pokemon in the fight you only have one active at a time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

Depends which D&D. An OSR or 4e D&D PC (and not even counting the "pacifist" cleric ) can do spectacularly well under the rules as written. In the case of the OSR you get roughly 80% of your XP from loot rather than killing monsters, and in 4e you can get serious amounts of XP from skill challenges. Other editions? Not so much.

But getting back to Pokemon in specific to me the biggest problem is not that it's combat heavy, but how solitary the combat is. In the games there's only one PC - and in the cartoon although Ash has Misty and Brock, and Jessie & James have each other and Meowth (and a Team Rocket RPG sounds fun) even the combat is The Decker Problem writ large; when Ash is fighting; even if it's the most fun combat system in the world what's everyone else doing? Even if they are playing the Pokemon in the fight you only have one active at a time.

Pokemon does have multi battles with multiple pokemon on one side at the same time

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 23, 2019

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

neonchameleon posted:

There’s been multiple games that have had more than one Pokémon working together at a time. There’s been Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, Pokémon Conquest, Double and Multi-battles in the main games, the space is definitely been explored before.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

As for your question, I don’t think D&D ought to support hardcore pacifist characters in the same way that a Pokémon system shouldn’t have to support a PC that doesn’t want to have Pokémon, in the same way that Lancer shouldn’t support a character who refuses to get into a mech. I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove there.

As for your last set of questions, in Pokémon, a character would spend their time traveling, talking to NPCs, solving mysteries, etc. I don’t believe that those sorts of things need in-depth rules, especially in something like Pokémon. For the tone of something like Pokémon, lighter rules for interacting with the larger world outside of combat would probably be important.

It should have room for characters for whom battling and defeating gym leaders isn't their driving goal though. Pokemon breeders and contest coordinators and researchers and stuff.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

fool_of_sound posted:

It should have room for characters for whom battling and defeating gym leaders isn't their driving goal though. Pokemon breeders and contest coordinators and researchers and stuff.

I hadn’t really thought about that. I’d probably say that being a breeder would probably not work as ttrpg, but a researcher would probably still engage with catching/battling.

Contests would probably be best introduced in a supplement of some sort, just because it would be so mechanically different than battling while still being worth exploring

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Ilor posted:

I think the smartest play might be to do something like Sentinels of the Multiverse, where there are separate, additional decks for things like the environment and the opposition, and have those cards integrate seamlessly with the actual Pokemon card game. And have a deck devoted to story elements that links the battles together. Thus, you'd have a card-driven RPG (where draw order is your randomizer) that builds upon the mechanics of the card game. Done righ, you wouldn't even need a GM.

gently caress, I would play that, especially as a way to get my kids into RPGs.

I think you're describing something a lot like the Arkham Horror LCG, but with Pokemon.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing, if it existed.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 23, 2019

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

thetoughestbean posted:

Okay, a lot of things to unpack here. First of all you said that D&D was really just “at best a fantasy tac-sim game.” Do you not see how that smacks of purism?
No, I don't, because it is just a comment on the fact that the vast majority of the rules in D&D are about fantasy tac-sim. It is possible to engage with virtually all of the rules of D&D and never have to think about your character's motivations beyond killing monsters and taking their stuff.

And I'm not even making any value judgments there; if you want to play a game that is about killing monsters and taking their stuff - especially one where you can see measurable progress in your character's abilities to do so - then D&D is aces and will deliver a play experience that you will enjoy. That's great! It's also a different thing from, say, a FATE game where your character's very freeform Aspects are explicitly used by both the player and the GM to drive the story.

thetoughestbean posted:

Second, having a satisfying crunchy tactical combat system doesn’t mean you can’t have good rules for role-playing, either.
I never said it couldn't. Just that it usually doesn't.

thetoughestbean posted:

That being said, a world or story that focuses on combat should probably have the bulk of its rules be about combat, and Pokémon, in most of its forms, focuses on combat. (Combat isn’t life or death stakes, either, most of the time it’s like challenging somebody to one-on-one basketball, so using it as a go-to option for settling conflicts isn’t bad like you make it out to be)
...and that's why. As for whether or not it's bad for resolving conflicts, the primary issue is one of opportunity cost. Consider how much time you're spending to engage with your crunchy combat systems versus the pacing of the story you're trying to tell. Does the PCs' character narrative - the role-play part people keep insisting they want - completely grind to a halt as soon as someone says, "roll for initiative?" This also gets to what neonchameleon is talking about with the "decker problem," where if there's a conflict that only involves one PC, what is everyone else at the table doing while that conflict is being resolved? The longer and crunchier and more involved the resolution mechanic is, the worse this problem becomes.

thetoughestbean posted:

Yes, you have it exactly right - being a hardcore pacifist is not what D&D is about. It can be, and as neonchameleon points out certain editions have done it better than others, but intrinsically many editions of the game have primarily supported and rewarded killing monsters and taking their stuff.

OK, so to bring this back around to a notional Pokemon RPG, you have to decide which non-combat activities you'll support in the game and how those will be adjudicated/resolved. Ergo, you have to decide what the game is about. I'm not telling you what it has to be or should, I'm saying whoever is making this game needs to actually decide that and support it in the game's mechanics. So far all people have really talked about is the combat system (which is already better done in CCG/computer game). And I'm pointing out that if 95% of what you want to do is already captured in the card/video game, well...

Is this making more sense?

thetoughestbean posted:

And finally, as for why not just play the video game and be done with it, well, there are people who want to have a narrative that’s customized to them, with a backstory and character they thought up themselves, and the ability to shape the narrative in ways that you can’t in the games.
Totally agreed, so those backstory and character and narrative elements have to have mechanical support in the rules to be useful.

potatocubed posted:

I think you're describing something a lot like the Arkham Horror LCG, but with Pokemon.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing, if it existed.
I am not familiar with the Arkham Horror LCG, but it sounds like it's worth checking out!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Everything I know about Pokemon I've picked up through cultural osmosis, but I would play a Pokemon co-op LCG.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Ilor posted:

So the original question of "why hasn't anyone come out with a good Pokémon TTPRG?" can probably best be answered by saying, "because they are too busy trying to reinvent Pokémon itself, only without a computer to track all the numbers" rather than going back to the drawing board and designing it from the ground up as an actual TTRPG.

the real answer is "for all the time I spend working on a pokemon RPG, I could instead work on something I can sell for money"

I shat out the basic premise of a functioning game with questionable math in like twenty minutes, what's going to stop me from polishing it further is all the other poo poo I could be doing

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ilor posted:

Totally agreed, so those backstory and character and narrative elements have to have mechanical support in the rules to be useful.

Things don’t have to be mechanically useful to have value to a game!

When I make a character idea or backstory I don’t make it so I’ll get a bonus here or there, I make it so I have a character that I find compelling! Role playing will happen regardless of if the game has in depth rules for role playing.

For goodness’s, sake, there are numerous games that are mostly about combat. I wouldn’t tell somebody who wants to make a mecha game to not bother because loving Armored Core exists, and I wouldn’t tell people to not bother playing a dungeon crawler because Roguelikes exist.

You keep conflating your personal preferences as the only way to view games and it’s impossible to talk to you

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Hostile V posted:

Y'all have been chasing this conversation for days on end and now y'all are just getting petty and slapping at each other. Walk away for a few minutes few days, get a drink, cool your heels.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ilor posted:

the only thing you used graph paper for was mapping a dungeon (also: why did we ever do this as players? What were we thinking?).

In my group, we were thinking "our 2nd level Rogue and our Elf together only have like a 15% chance of noticing secret doors, but if we meticulously map the dungeon we might be able to spot the empty gap on the map where the secret area is, so we can then spend in-game multiple days searching 10' segments of wall over and over till we find it" and occasionally also "this lets us mark where the trap is because the DM is not going to remind us that the trap we avoided is still there when we say "ok we are backtracking" so we gotta explicitly say "we are backtracking and when we get *here* we go around the trap the same way we did on the way in, with the rope and the shelves propped against the wall".

And I'm kinda glad, too, because looking at the dungeon maps 30 years later is fun as hell.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Loomer posted:

My decision to polish and publish a project I've been working on has given me new respect for layout people. I think I hate InDesign more than life itself.

It will delight you to learn that InDesign is the least awful layout application ever made. QuarkXPress, now that's a piece of poo poo.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Kamala's cycle of running a Star Wars game (but never actually doing it.)
  • watch a star wars movie
  • get HYPED
  • think up a bunch of hypothetical campaign ideas
  • can't decide on an era
  • invent some bullshit AU or pull in crap from the EU
  • look at FFG SW
  • Homebrew a ton of poo poo
  • get bored
  • start over from step 1 once
  • homebrew
  • desperately avoid admitting FFG SW is too rules heavy for my style
  • desperately avoid admitting I wasted money buying all FFG books
  • flirt with the idea of running SAGAs
  • laugh
  • search for good pbta/fate hacks
  • get bored
  • restart in 6 months

Legacy Primer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dD1eWGyrkzsO74SUF9FgGjq29EZ3nDOd/view?usp=drivesdk

AU: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1skNsl7F9gAvxKUCJFhaeg8zXkrHiK6BfYdXbAotZKx0/edit?usp=drivesdk

*google history of searching for pbta and fate hacks*

Hmm, I think I'm on step 14 right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

It will delight you to learn that InDesign is the least awful layout application ever made. QuarkXPress, now that's a piece of poo poo.

i keep seeing people talking about how affinity is supposed to be better than indesign, any thoughts on that one?