Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

zoux posted:

I'd like to see the Navy pilot's face as some marine jumps in his F4U and takes off. At least it'll solve the age old question of katana vs. sticky bomb

"It's a bomb on a stick, a sticky bomb."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

"It's a bomb on a stick, a sticky bomb."

"Cherry Bomb" by The Runaways plays as the guy in Saving Private Ryan blows himself up.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

zoux posted:

Speaking of history video games, this is an interesting application. AC: Odyssey added a discovery mode that lets you just walk around their city models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRuHLCpOoF0

As long as the models are accurate based on the best knowledge we have, this seems like a really cool feature.

It's alright? I felt like every town in that game basically looked the same aside from Athens and Sparta. It was a real shame, since it included a lot of obscure city-states that don't usually make the public eye like Delphi or Argos.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I have a lot of weird glimpses about the gulf wars in my early memory. I recall news anchors saying with certainty that the Iraqi army placed persisting VX bombs under bridges and in tunnels where the marines were expected to advance. gently caress, no effort was spared in making them look like monsters.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

vains posted:

one guy on 1 team will have joystick/rudder controls and gently caress everyone else up from an airplane.

Camp the enemy hangar for 30 minutes and c4 the plane when it spawns to prevent this problem

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

Also wasn't there a lot of handwringing over some game that let you play as the Wehrmacht?

I think the controversy is more that until recently in games you just played as the Honourable No Different From Their Enemies Except Very Elite (But Less So Than The SS) And Also All The Best Guns And Tanks Wehrmacht and now for some reason people are more interested in something resembling the actual Wehrmacht.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SeanBeansShako posted:

First video game ever to use the pigeon guided missile sincerely.

Nah, that's the ASM-N-2 Bat which is a perfectly normal radar guided glide bomb.

Being used against land for some reason (it did not do well at this in real life)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

I have a lot of weird glimpses about the gulf wars in my early memory. I recall news anchors saying with certainty that the Iraqi army placed persisting VX bombs under bridges and in tunnels where the marines were expected to advance. gently caress, no effort was spared in making them look like monsters.
we were talking about this in the discord and it was fascinating to compare cessna's memories (a soldier at the time) to mine (a small child). they fully expected that most of the US forces would die, and everyone was utterly shocked when the Iraqui army just folded

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

xthetenth posted:

Nah, that's the ASM-N-2 Bat which is a perfectly normal radar guided glide bomb.

Being used against land for some reason (it did not do well at this in real life)

I was corrected by the esoteric missile master.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

we were talking about this in the discord and it was fascinating to compare cessna's memories (a soldier at the time) to mine (a small child). they fully expected that most of the US forces would die, and everyone was utterly shocked when the Iraqui army just folded

I don't know about "most," but the initial assault's troops weren't going to have an easy time of it.

For the war itself I was with a unit called OCD-1, Obstacle Clearing Detachment. We were an ad-hoc roughly platoon sized unit made of engineers, blade tanks (tanks with dozer blades), and AAVs with explosive line charges whose job it was to [strike]throw our bodies across[/strike] clear the minefields they'd set up between the border and Kuwait City. We knew we were screwed.

As it is, yes, the war ended a lot faster then we expected. I thought that it would take us a few weeks, maybe a month to get to Kuwait City (if I survived), but it ended up taking us four days. We fought pretty much the whole way, but I remember thinking that maybe we were being suckered into a trap. It turns out that we weren't.

That's me on the far right:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When you signed up did you think you'd ever be deployed in an actual shooting war

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

zoux posted:

When you signed up did you think you'd ever be deployed in an actual shooting war

If you don’t consider that a possibility when joining then I don’t know know what to tell you.

Hell I joined the navy reserves as an IT knowing drat well from talking to people I could end up as a gunner on a convoy in the desert.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

I understood that it was a possibility, sure. But I was also a dumb kid, so...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Was being the one idiot with a foofy helmet on, open jacket, and wacky pose part of your job, or were you just born to be a goon-marine?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, how do they decide who gets an M203 (and what are you holding)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You show that man some respect. His dick gun is the biggest of all of them

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah I am happy to see dumb goofy poo poo in that games trailer rather than trying to pretend they care about the realism and blood letting because the game franchise is video game action fictions being mushed into the dirt.

Still pissy that EA/DICE don''t seem to have the pocket change to hunt down recreations of the BEF uniforms though to scan. If I had the money I would mail that poo poo to them to Sweden goddamn.

Speaking of dumb mil hist games, I am a bit of light weight when it comes to management stuff but I really am considering getting the latest Hearts Of Iron game because that alt history mod just seems so good to read about. But will I be ground into the dirt by a million boxes telling me I am bad?

No, but beware that the latest Hearts of Iron has Paradox's newer model of DLC delivery, which hides a lot of interesting, useful, or necessary things behind DLC, which costs 20$ per DLC pack, with a minimum of 4 that must be purchased.

Its fine if you get it on sale, otherwise, only get Paradox games off-sale if you hate money.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 23, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

You show that man some respect. His dick gun is the biggest of all of them

I guess I didn't realize we were still using lancers in GW1

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Was being the one idiot with a foofy helmet on, open jacket, and wacky pose part of your job, or were you just born to be a goon-marine?

I'd lost my watch-cap somewhere, so I wore a kevlar helmet. I stuck that cammie-net on it to keep my neck from getting sunburned worse than it was. And that's a flak-jacket over nomex.

I've got the M-85 out of the TC's position because I was TC and because I was a dumb 20 year old kid. I thought I'd mentioned the dumb kid part earlier?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I was in elementary school during the first Gulf War and I remember us all being made to write letters to The Troops.

I most likely drew fighter jets on mine.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FuturePastNow posted:

I was in elementary school during the first Gulf War and I remember us all being made to write letters to The Troops.

I know this may sound a bit silly and maudlin, but we really appreciated those letters.

We got mail from home about every other or every third day. Some guys didn't have a lot of family to write to them, so the platoon sergeants made sure those guys got extra "little kid letters."

We didn't always have the time or opportunity to write back, but it was always nice to get a message from the real world. Just knowing that there were people going about their lives, going to school, made for a nice break from sweating and training.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FuturePastNow posted:

I most likely drew fighter jets on mine.

I had to do that in the second. I remember drawing US, UK, Texas, Confederate, and French flags, and a whole bunch of dead people with cartoony gore.

Also my cousin ended up getting crippled in Iraq around while I was doodling, but I didn't know that until after.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Cessna posted:

I know this may sound a bit silly and maudlin, but we really appreciated those letters.

We got mail from home about every other or every third day. Some guys didn't have a lot of family to write to them, so the platoon sergeants made sure those guys got extra "little kid letters."

We didn't always have the time or opportunity to write back, but it was always nice to get a message from the real world. Just knowing that there were people going about their lives, going to school, made for a nice break from sweating and training.

Hey Cessna I really appreciate your posts, especially your experiences in the Gulf War which is a conflict which has fascinated me greatly. I sort of see it as the "final" battle of the cold war that solidified the power of the United States and the beginning of a new geo-political era. For better or for worse.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

zoux posted:

Also, how do they decide who gets an M203 (and what are you holding)

m203s go to fireteam leaders and squad leaders, generally. from time to time, units experiment with making a designated grenadier.

some of the old timers from my company were in the lav platoons following the breaching vehicles in desert storm.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Cessna posted:

On the subject of the mail something i have come across was that the Saudi censors really wanted to get into the coalition mail system in order to check letters and parcels for bibles, girlie mags and Christmas decorations. It was decided to let them into the mail operation upon which the like 20 or so members of the Saudi religious police that came along walk in the door and come face to face with the 4 C-5 galaxy flights a day worth of mail and parcels that was delivered (Something like 3-400 tons of mail). They gave up fairly quickly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Polyakov posted:

On the subject of the mail something i have come across was that the Saudi censors really wanted to get into the coalition mail system in order to check letters and parcels for bibles, girlie mags and Christmas decorations. It was decided to let them into the mail operation upon which the like 20 or so members of the Saudi religious police that came along walk in the door and come face to face with the 4 C-5 galaxy flights a day worth of mail and parcels that was delivered (Something like 3-400 tons of mail). They gave up fairly quickly.

Haha, but also why was the US going to permit that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

vains posted:

lav platoons following the breaching vehicles in desert storm.
I'm going assume these are lavatory platoons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

zoux posted:

I guess I didn't realize we were still using lancers in GW1

The lances reach out a couple of kilometers

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

zoux posted:

There is a whole song and dance (and i mean REALLY elaborate) that the hosue of Saud are doing. Remember that until 2004 Jews werent allowed to enter Saudi Arabia, non muslims are still not allowed in Mecca and parts of Medina. I dont think non muslims were allowed into Medina until the 2000's, maps of Saudi Arabia even are sufficiently sensetive topics that T-Shirts being sold with maps of Saudi Arabia were brought up in a meeting between the US and Saudi commanders in chief (Norman Schawzkopf and Prince Khalid). A significant Iraqi propaganda message is about non Muslims and non Arabs in the holy land going to go and defile up a storm, the structure of Saudi society is loving nuuuuuts. So you have the house of Saud who really want the US there, and are fighting a significant internal battle against the really nutty Islamists to do it. The US also wants to be there but they and the House of Saud together are having to try to keep things to the state where these clerics arent going to try and overthrow the government. So in that context i suspect it was a nice confluence of just let them wear themselves out on this so we dont have to have the very difficult conversation about say Jewish US service members having their services in the kingdom (For reference that was solved in part by flying them out into the gulf to worship there.) Or the slightly (but only slightly) less vicious topic of Christian ceremonies.

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 23, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Probably diplomatically easier to prove the job is futile than to deny them the access.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Probably diplomatically easier to prove the job is futile than to deny them the access.
"you said you wanted to do this, this is what you wanted!~" and the jewish peoples' mail gets lost in the blizzard of mail

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Polyakov posted:

There is a whole song and dance (and i mean REALLY elaborate) that the hosue of Saud are doing. Remember that until 2004 Jews werent allowed to enter Saudi Arabia, non muslims are still not allowed in Mecca and parts of Medina. I dont think non muslims were allowed into Medina until the 2000's, maps of Saudi Arabia even are sufficiently sensetive topics that T-Shirts being sold with maps of Saudi Arabia were brought up in a meeting between the US and Saudi commanders in chief (Norman Schawzkopf and Prince Khalid). A significant Iraqi propaganda message is about non Muslims and non Arabs in the holy land going to go and defile up a storm. So you have the house of Saud who really want the US there, and are fighting a significant internal battle against the really nutty Islamists to do it. The US also wants to be there but they and the House of Saud together are having to try to keep things to the state where these clerics arent going to try and overthrow the government. So in that context i suspect it was a nice confluence of just let them wear themselves out on this so we dont have to have the very difficult conversation about say Jewish US service members having their services in the kingdom (For reference that was solved in part by flying them out into the gulf to worship there.) Or the slightly (but only slightly) less vicious topic of Christian ceremonies.

Oh, and OBL was one of these nutty Islamists, right? I've never really read up on him but I understand he was radicalized by the "misdeeds" of US service members stationed in KSA during Desert Storm. Were there legit abuses of civilians by troops or was it just our decadent Western ways.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Polyakov posted:

On the subject of the mail something i have come across was that the Saudi censors really wanted to get into the coalition mail system in order to check letters and parcels for bibles

Why these? I thought Islam acknowledged both the old and new testaments (as in Jesus was a prophet).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Jesus the prophet who got zapped into heaven doesn't quite gel with the whole sacrifice and resurrection for are sins thing if you're an islamic extremist state.

Us jews do the same things, except Israel has to maintain the pretense of democracy to keep all the Uncle Sam bucks coming, so we don't get to be as blatant as Saudi Arabia.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 23, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Why these? I thought Islam acknowledged both the old and new testaments (as in Jesus was a prophet).

And Christian white supremacists acknowledge the old Testament

Epicurius posted:

In theory, Christians are allowed to have a bible for their private use, but having more then one bible or displaying bibles publically are considered proselytizing, and it's illegal in Saudi Arabia to proselytize any religion other than Islam.
But the First Amendment!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

feedmegin posted:

In theory, Christians are allowed to have a bible for their private use, but having more then one bible or displaying bibles publically are considered proselytizing, and it's illegal in Saudi Arabia to proselytize any religion other than Islam.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

zoux posted:

Oh, and OBL was one of these nutty Islamists, right? I've never really read up on him but I understand he was radicalized by the "misdeeds" of US service members stationed in KSA during Desert Storm. Were there legit abuses of civilians by troops or was it just our decadent Western ways.

One Saudi woman married an enlisted soldier, immigrated to the US, got bored when he got deployed again, made friends with a stripper at an on base laundry mat, became a stripper and divorced him.

She was even a shieks daughter. Quite a story.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

LingcodKilla posted:

One Saudi woman married an enlisted soldier, immigrated to the US, got bored when he got deployed again, made friends with a stripper at an on base laundry mat, became a stripper and divorced him.

She was even a shieks daughter. Quite a story.
absolutely coruscating with Enlisted Energy

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

I've never really read up on him but I understand he was radicalized by the "misdeeds" of US service members stationed in KSA during Desert Storm.

During the "Desert Shield" stage we drove around quite a bit and would occasionally cross paths with other units. Once we ran into a French Foreign Legion armored car/recon unit. We stopped and ate together. They broke out a bottle of wine.

We were stunned, as Saudi Arabia was/is a 100% "dry" country. Wine or any other form of alcohol is absolutely prohibited - but nonetheless, the Legion had their wine.

I remember asking a Legionnaire what would happen if their wine was cut off. In a dead serious tone he replied, "We would shoot our officers."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cessna posted:

During the "Desert Shield" stage we drove around quite a bit and would occasionally cross paths with other units. Once we ran into a French Foreign Legion armored car/recon unit. We stopped and ate together. They broke out a bottle of wine.

We were stunned, as Saudi Arabia was/is a 100% "dry" country. Wine or any other form of alcohol is absolutely prohibited - but nonetheless, the Legion had their wine.

I remember asking a Legionnaire what would happen if their wine was cut off. In a dead serious tone he replied, "We would shoot our officers."

Good to see that french ideals exist even in the legion.