Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'd actually be pretty surprised if Saheeli Cat was good enough to be ban-worthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1187041434408538112

So should I just go ahead and sell my JVPs now? Or maybe a deck will surface that uses it?

I mean I should probably sell ALL my cards now (goodbye my two duals I've never used), if I'm honest. I just shoved everything in a closet because aside from the occasional prerelease and draft I don't play really.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

odiv posted:

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1187041434408538112

So should I just go ahead and sell my JVPs now? Or maybe a deck will surface that uses it?

I mean I should probably sell ALL my cards now (goodbye my two duals I've never used), if I'm honest. I just shoved everything in a closet because aside from the occasional prerelease and draft I don't play really.

You should definitely sell anything you aren't currently using that spiked in price.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Keeo some EDH decks on hand for parties, etc.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

IANAL (EW or someone who is correct me if I'm wrong) but couldn't they completely hose the promissory estoppel claim by saying they don't recognize a secondary market and the cards only differ in value from their rarity?

if there were magic words you could say to destroy a promissory estoppel claim, then the claim as a practical matter would not exist

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tubgoat posted:

Keeo some EDH decks on hand for parties, etc.

Just keep some baby wipes if you think you're going to need them

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

evilweasel posted:

if there were magic words you could say to destroy a promissory estoppel claim, then the claim as a practical matter would not exist

I HEREBY DECLARE THAT YOUR RELIANCE ON THE PROMISE WAS, AND CONTINUES TO BE, UNREASONABLE

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ilmucche posted:

Just realised that the carnage tyrants and check lands I've been putting off buying post rotation are likely going to spike now. drat.

Just got mine yesterday from my local shop and my card flipping buddy. Word to the wise here, a full set of checks might not be the smartest move. The enemy pain lands were printed in Origins, but also mostly got reprints in commander products to make them sit at the sub $1 level each sans Shivan reef. I guess they are worse than checks, but in some decks I see them as better than fastlands (which are also legal in the same colors) and like shocks they are the duals you can guarantee come in untapped. A playset of Yavimaya coasts (C19) are less than a single hinterland habor, as an example. Aether hub could also be a good land to add if you only need a color splash, and they are sitting at a quarter each on tcgplayer. I don't think either of these is such a step down in power that I wouldn't try them in this new format. My "full set of checklands" includes like four sets of enemy pain lands in them. Shocks are the obvious best in format land in most cases, but I don't see full sets of those being pocket change for most people.

I just feel lucky that I got the last parts of my modern Bant spirits deck on Sunday morning. At the time I felt dumb for not waiting for the ban sale, but I saw sub $5 spell quellers and saw that as more savings than I'd ever get otherwise. It doesn't make up for the bloodghasts I bought the day before though :(. I'm done with buying anything pricey ($5+) for modern until I know if it is going to become legacy locally.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Panzeh posted:

Splinter twin would be absolutely fine in the current modern format, so would dig and pod.

Splinter Twin would be fine in the current modern format, which is an indictment of the current modern format.

also dig is broken

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lone Goat posted:

Just keep some baby wipes if you think you're going to need them
Nope, triage goes Kleenex, napkin, paper towel, washcloth, hand towel, actual towel, dirty laundry, clothes I'm wearing at the time, clean laundry.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tubgoat posted:

Nope, triage goes Kleenex, napkin, paper towel, washcloth, hand towel, actual towel, dirty laundry, clothes I'm wearing at the time, clean laundry.

I'd put socks at like 4th, those things are pretty much disposable

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think WotC is actively trying to make sure Merfolk is never a deck again in any format.

The cutoff for Pioneer is Return to Ravnica. Master of the Pearl Trident was in Core Set 2013. A single set off the cutoff point.

:negative:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1187079434391736321?s=19

For those curious if people care about Pioneer.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lone Goat posted:

I'd put socks at like 4th, those things are pretty much disposable
Nope, I only wear wool trail socks, and when those wear out, they become vodka sleeves.

Count Bleck posted:

I think WotC is actively trying to make sure Merfolk is never a deck again in any format.

The cutoff for Pioneer is Return to Ravnica. Master of the Pearl Trident was in Core Set 2013. A single set off the cutoff point.

:negative:
Rancor, too. But Innistrad 1 was the deciding factor, I have never been more sure of anything.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

When is your podcast going to be Pioneer focused? That seems to be what all the cool kids are gearing up to do.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Birthing pod should be legal in every format

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Sickening posted:

You should definitely sell anything you aren't currently using that spiked in price.

Along these lines, is there a goon buy/sell thread? I've got some Mox Opals I bought waaay back when I got back into Magic and actually played standard Tempered Steel (god, 8 years ago) that need a new home.*

*Please don't PM me with offers just yet- my brother's got the physical cards since he was playing them in Modern Affinity, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to get my physical hands on them. And yes, I've talked to him about it and he's on board.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:lol:
https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1187080480836984836

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Rogue 7 posted:

Along these lines, is there a goon buy/sell thread? I've got some Mox Opals I bought waaay back when I got back into Magic and actually played standard Tempered Steel (god, 8 years ago) that need a new home.*

*Please don't PM me with offers just yet- my brother's got the physical cards since he was playing them in Modern Affinity, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to get my physical hands on them. And yes, I've talked to him about it and he's on board.
And of course he's on board!, Affinity's deader than decks centered around actually-banned cards.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

And you any goons currently make content for Pioneer and want their poo poo linked in what is currently most popular dedicated subreddit for Pioneer, let me know.

Podcast, articles, I could give a poo poo.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

And of course he's on board!, Affinity's deader than decks centered around actually-banned cards.

Cheers, thanks!

And I'd mention that to him, but my modern deck is B/W tokens, so glass houses and all that...

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Rogue 7 posted:

Cheers, thanks!

And I'd mention that to him, but my modern deck is B/W tokens, so glass houses and all that...

I can't foresee anything getting banned from tokens, unless I'm missing an obvious one?

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

I can't foresee anything getting banned from tokens, unless I'm missing an obvious one?

Nothing in the deck is banworthy and I think it has like 2 top 8's ever, so the glass houses part was about playing underpowered decks.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evilweasel posted:

Not to mention that the very promise they made was because of the secondary market.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/official-reprint-policy-2010-03-10

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Tubgoat posted:

I wonder if there's a tier 1 deck in modern with 4 opals in it that isn't affinity making the price so high

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

for those of you who keep track of the general community, can you tell me if people are legitimately excited to play pioneer, or a shitload of people are hoping to go mtg finance? i guess the in between of 'get to play a format and not be priced out of it' but i guess my primary question is ignoring price points does the format actually excite people

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

rabidsquid posted:

for those of you who keep track of the general community, can you tell me if people are legitimately excited to play pioneer, or a shitload of people are hoping to go mtg finance? i guess the in between of 'get to play a format and not be priced out of it' but i guess my primary question is ignoring price points does the format actually excite people

Most people I know seem generally very interested, while acknowledging that bans will be needed. At modern locals last night people were chatting about deck ideas and seemed enthusiastic and people in the discords I frequent have chatted it up a lot and seem largely positive as well.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I wonder if this is because people who have maybe been dancing around getting into Modern now have a much cheaper and relatively more accessible path to a new constructed format, also WOTC seems to have put way more effort and structure into how they're pushing Pioneer whereas Historic was just dumped in our laps with the lovely 2:1 wildcard conversion thing (until they walked it back). Standard+ is not really the draw they must've thought it would be.

If I had the time I'd probably work on finishing the Spirits deck I was slowly acquiring cards for and try out some Pioneer stuff.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Apparently you can play Historic on Arena right now and I have no idea how and maybe that is why it's a dead format

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yes, people want play and talk about pioneer.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Sickening posted:

Eh, no vial and no cavern of souls is a big deal. As far as the tribal decks go its probably the most viable I can see atm.

Caleb Durward was having a lot of success with a go-wide goblins strategy that comboed Embercleave w/ Piledriver or Rabblemaster, or just ended the game with Torbran.

https://twitter.com/CalebDMTG/status/1186926621925806080

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Apparently you can play Historic on Arena right now and I have no idea how and maybe that is why it's a dead format

Yeah I just went to look for it and it doesn't even show up as a format option? Maybe there's a toggle somewhere for it but I'll be hosed if I can find it.

Niton posted:

Caleb Durward was having a lot of success with a go-wide goblins strategy that comboed Embercleave w/ Piledriver or Rabblemaster, or just ended the game with Torbran.

This looks sickkkkkk. Seems like it would fold pretty hard to Witch's Vengeance though?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I think historic's low popularity on goldfish is a combination of not really knowing where the format is going yet (they may or may not be adding 20 or so cards to the format, right?), and the kind of people who play on Arena not having any reason to interact with the website. It's not like you have to worry about the price trends of cards on Arena, and while that's not all the site's about anymore, it's still a major part of it.

I'm not surprised that Pioneer is getting more interest, though. I think there's a huge demand in paper for a format that's bigger than standard, but cheaper than modern. That demand has grown a lot since people tried to create Frontier, as modern prices have been increasing steadily, and Pioneer has actual WotC support from the start, unlike Frontier which was very transparently a dealer cash grab attempt. No one wants to "invest" in a format that might not even get off the ground.

I thought you couldn't until November?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Niton posted:

I saw the goblin deck and i immediately sleeved it up in paper. Its sitting on my desk at home as we speak.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Hm, fair enough!

Not to mention that the very promise they made was because of the secondary market.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/official-reprint-policy-2010-03-10

I feel dumb now. Thanks for the clarification folks!

ShadeofBlue posted:

Nope, you can play right now. The fact that most people don't know this is the most damning indictment of Historic.

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 23, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ShadeofBlue posted:

nah, you just make a deck with your rotated cards and queue up with it in play mode like you would with a standard deck

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

You can only play it against random people in unranked BO1, though you can direct challenge people with it. Nexus is also still banned in it in BO1, not that that's indicated anywhere at all unless you try to actually make a deck with it/queue with it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rogue 7 posted:

Cheers, thanks!

Hell yeah bw tokens buddy. I've met 1 person who plays it in person, and even they are on more of a bw superfriends with tokens to protect more than a full on tokens build.

Goven how easy it is to get energy and how impossible it is to interact with energy counters aetherworks marvel seems incredibly busted. Dig with azcanta/opt/other cards then aetherworks and you can see like 10 cards for very little mana.

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 23, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

I'll be playing it because I have infinite tickets on MTGO and can play fast enough to avoid timing out with various ridiculous combo decks, but if I were playing in paper I would be pissed that WotC deliberately sabotaged Modern in order to direct people into this new format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
why aren't the goblin lists playing krenko? sure his tokens aren't hasty but being able to poo poo out 2-6 goblins per turn has to be worth something, right?