Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Antiquity is a game about inevitably painting yourself into a corner and trying to meet your victory condition (which you can choose) before that happens.

I guess the interaction part comes down to what you mean by interaction. Other players cannot be ignored in Antiquity, not if you're playing to win instead of just struggling with the basics. But it can happen to a greater or lesser extent.

Using another game as an example: some people say Dominion has little to no player interaction. Personally I think that's not true, since you cannot ignore other players unless you're willing to just put your head down do your thing and leave it to chance whether it gets you a win or not. But to some people interaction means something different and I guess that's fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you like the sandbox nature of Splotter games then Antiquity would probably be a big hit, since it’s a huge sandbox. It’s more player vs game system initially until you get a grasp on the system, then the player interaction matters more depending on saint choices. Can’t imagine you wouldn’t like it if you like their other games.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
You would probably like R&B, it's a rather nasty just-in-time logistics game where you only own your transporters and the goods they're directly carrying, everything else is up for grabs. It can be played non-interactively if the players choose to do so, but I rather enjoy the part where you run into the middle of a person's road network and build walls in every direction then steal all their useful materials and build useless buildings on their hexes. It's not so much an economic game like TGZ but it is definitely highly interactive.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Chill la Chill posted:

Is Cannes or Duck Dealer an actually interesting game? I hope someone here's played it. I saw someone selling either for $55 shipped, and I know of DD's initial unpopularity but wanted to know if they aged well. If there are similar games you feel already cover their mechanics, please include those. I might already have them and not feel the need to get either in that case.

Please don't pay $55 for Cannes. It's got a couple of great ideas, but they are undercooked, and the less said about the crayon art by Ms. Steyer's third-grade class, the better. I've played it three times, twice with suggested fixes from BGG, and all three times, just as you finally manage to start to get some satisfying production going, the game is over. It's a production chain and logistics game where you never get to appreciate your engine ticking through.

Edit: I just looked back and I got my copy of Cannes for $6 when rounding a board game order up so I could get free shipping. I paid too much.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 23, 2019

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Counterpoint: the art owns.

Duck Dealer is pretty underappreciated imo, though understandably not everyone would be into a heavy logistics game where you're just building up energy half the time.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

silvergoose posted:

This was my experience with Alchemists, and I'm never playing it for a second time.

(I put one of my experiment results in the wrong okay and didn't realize it until a few more in, so my entire research was useless and I effectively couldn't play)

That's any deduction game then? It's not really the games fault if you gently caress it from the start. You should try it again, Alchemists is a good game.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I don't have very many games that are super interesting, outside of the typical, I guess. Oh well, I like what I like.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

atholbrose posted:

Please don't pay $55 for Cannes. It's got a couple of great ideas, but they are undercooked, and the less said about the crayon art by Ms. Steyer's third-grade class, the better. I've played it three times, twice with suggested fixes from BGG, and all three times, just as you finally manage to start to get some satisfying production going, the game is over. It's a production chain and logistics game where you never get to appreciate your engine ticking through.

Edit: I just looked back and I got my copy of Cannes for $6 when rounding a board game order up so I could get free shipping. I paid too much.

The art is good, but it is trumped by R&B's art. Thanks for the heads up.

taser rates posted:

Counterpoint: the art owns.

Duck Dealer is pretty underappreciated imo, though understandably not everyone would be into a heavy logistics game where you're just building up energy half the time.

I'll think about it. Having R&B now lessens the desire for it so unless there was something really special I likely won't miss it.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Played Paladins of the West Kingdom last night, 4 players, and we all enjoyed it. Everyone felt like it provided an interesting array of choices, where even if you feel like you made the wrong play early on, such as developing a certain action, you can roll with it and keep going down that path and make it work. We liked the way that criminal workers encourage you to play a little dirty but not go overboard (unless you're specifically recruiting townsfolk to make crime pay) and it had enough player competition over action spaces and cards without feeling too aggressive. It won't work for more competitive groups, perhaps, but it was a great fit for us.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Aramoro posted:

That's any deduction game then? It's not really the games fault if you gently caress it from the start. You should try it again, Alchemists is a good game.

Well, deduction games are bad!

Just kidding, obviously it was my fault, but I think having the paper trail be easily jostled or misplaced cardboard chits... I dunno. I'd have rathered paper, or have the app keep it just in case.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I really like Alchemists as well but yeah I can see that being an issue. Especially because both times I've tried to play it it was REALLY difficult for me to explain the logic puzzle to people. Like, usually most of the players grasped it eventually but there was always one person who just could not wrap their head around what the hell any of it meant no matter how hard I tried.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Alchemists has definitely been a game that I have to play with my more engineering-minded friends only; even with other friends who like boardgames, the logic puzzle ends up turning them off of the whole experience.

FCM reprint seems to have rolled in so I finally put in an order for it. I'm sure it'll sit on my shelf for at least a month until I can get a group for it, but I'm hoping that with a fresh group it'll be fun enough for all of us without having to worry about suboptimal early turns.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Just go ahead and print the milestones from The Ketchup Mechanic and use them instead of the base ones. The openers are clearly laid out and the other milestones impact the game in more varied and significant ways. FCM is the best game and I'm ready for the expansion to hit boardgamecore so random goons can dumpster me online.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Anyone kickstart keymarket? Mine just arrived in the mail.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Alchemists is definitely a bit of divider. We have 1 guys who absolutely hates it but some folks who love it. Like a lot of CGE stuff really.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
How good is Via Nebula? I haven't played it.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I did the comparison thing and it landed in my top 9. Together with other greats like The Great Zimbabwe, Brass, GTrucker, Dungeon Petz, Caylus. It good.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Spiggy posted:

Just go ahead and print the milestones from The Ketchup Mechanic and use them instead of the base ones. The openers are clearly laid out and the other milestones impact the game in more varied and significant ways. FCM is the best game and I'm ready for the expansion to hit boardgamecore so random goons can dumpster me online.

+1 on the new milestones.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Rip Tresham

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/96126/rip-francis-tresham

Good innings and legacy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

drat

Fuckin drat

E: that's literally the only source?

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 23, 2019

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Clearclaw tweeted about it, so it sounds like it's spreading through some game designer backchannels.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

admanb posted:

Clearclaw tweeted about it, so it sounds like it's spreading through some game designer backchannels.

Yeah. What a legend. Played civ all through my childhood.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just realised that The Ketchup Mechanic is a pun

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Krazyface posted:

Oh gently caress

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Krazyface posted:

Glad you caught up with the rest of us.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Someone needs to hurry up and upload the rulebook :argh:

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The Heavy Cardboard episode where they played with the expansion didn't get me too hyped for most of the new chrome, but hopefully the rules prove me wrong.

It was still fun watching the dude from Splotter run the table on the HC crew.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Krazyface posted:

Yeah it's pretty :unsmith:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Spiggy posted:

The Heavy Cardboard episode where they played with the expansion didn't get me too hyped for most of the new chrome, but hopefully the rules prove me wrong.

It was still fun watching the dude from Splotter run the table on the HC crew.

Yeah the modules look hit or miss, but the milestones alone are great and make it feel like FCM 1.5. The apartment building, road construction, and new town tile expansion stuff looks really good though.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah the modules look hit or miss, but the milestones alone are great and make it feel like FCM 1.5. The apartment building, road construction, and new town tile expansion stuff looks really good though.

I'll wait for the 20th anniversary edition and get it all bundled together.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ravendas posted:

I'll wait for the 20th anniversary edition and get it all bundled together.

Better box size too!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Some Numbers posted:

How good is Via Nebula? I haven't played it.

It's really good at making you think you're getting into a long complex euro, then suddenly half an hour later you realize that the game is almost over and you have at most two turns left.

Anyway it's pretty good. Especially at the prices that it's being talked about here. It's got a lot of decision space to it, without being bloated. Player interaction without actual conflict, resource management that also involves eyeing what the other players need so that you can provide it to them (because it gets you points) or denying it to them if it means they lose more.

It's been a while since I've played it, so I'm sure someone can provide a better review (or even counterpoints, perhaps I'm misremembering it entirely), but if not for this pile of games I own already, and for the fact that my friend owns it, is probably pick it up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Morpheus posted:

It's really good at making you think you're getting into a long complex euro, then suddenly half an hour later you realize that the game is almost over and you have at most two turns left.

Anyway it's pretty good. Especially at the prices that it's being talked about here. It's got a lot of decision space to it, without being bloated. Player interaction without actual conflict, resource management that also involves eyeing what the other players need so that you can provide it to them (because it gets you points) or denying it to them if it means they lose more.

It's been a while since I've played it, so I'm sure someone can provide a better review (or even counterpoints, perhaps I'm misremembering it entirely), but if not for this pile of games I own already, and for the fact that my friend owns it, is probably pick it up.

I usually describe it as a grudgingly cooperative PUAD game. You can't achieve anything without helping someone else and the knack is to make sure that other players want to help you as often as possible.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Roads and boats is so good. The weird tension of aggressive action being genuinely a "?" In terms of it's actual use until you actually carry it out is huge.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Is there a good 2p dudes fighting on a map game?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Quixotic1 posted:

Is there a good 2p dudes fighting on a map game?

War for the Ring if you're into LotR? Inis with 2p is meant to be p good but isn't necessarily fighty.

Maybe Star Wars Rebellion, with the asterisk that popular reception seems to say the expansion is highly recommended?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Aside from the ones Narrator mentioned, Twilight Struggle and Spirit Island both trigger a lot of those dudes on a map pleasure buttons for me despite being more of a political tug of war and a coop, respectively. Also Colonial Twilight is a two player COIN game for a more involved version of DOAM. To reeeeally stretch the analogy, I stand by FCM being a turn based RTS with build orders, map pressure, and timing attacks being key to the game (I really want a Starcraft retheme).

Star Wars Rebellion and War of the Ring are both fantastic though, just choose one based on IP if you like either of them.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 24, 2019

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Curse your eyes for fixing that before I could quote it.

Edit: Also seconding Spirit Island for a DOAM-ish experience.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 24, 2019

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The Narrator posted:

War for the Ring if you're into LotR? Inis with 2p is meant to be p good but isn't necessarily fighty.

Maybe Star Wars Rebellion, with the asterisk that popular reception seems to say the expansion is highly recommended?

Both those are legit real good but it helps to know the lore to really get the most out of them. Playing as either side in either game feels really good and the mechanics (mostly) work towards the theme.

Bottom Liner posted:

Also Colonial Twilight is a two player COIN game for a more involved version of DOAM.

Colonial Twilight is similarly awesome but its grim as gently caress. Both sides can and will do awful things to advance their position. War crimes and terrorism and its really well modelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Spirit Island owns, it really tickles my howling mushroom-addled animist side but is also solid coop board control.