Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The Tragic Home suffered a case of "nah I'm sure that's enough food, I'll decommission the farms and switch to meat" that led to such a mass famine that the power grid browned out as the janitors carried dead dupes to the Gravitas facility graveyard via transit tube.

I had 26 of my 33 dupes die within 3 cycles. There isn't really a roll back either, since I've already used all the dirt on my map 400 cycles so ago trying to prop up the last famine. The bristles are just fruiting now, so in about 3 cycles I'll be back to 50k calories and can shut the farms down....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!
I haven't played ONI in over a year (before the space stuff came out) and am currently running a new base with about 50 cycles so far. Does anyone here have any good guides, build patterns (I understand that the SPOM doesn't exist anymore - what's a good replacement to get oxygen and cooling), etc?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
SPOM does remain but the cooling is a little more involved now that the plants require the occasional phosphorus. There are also further variations if you're planning to maximize oxygen or hydrogen, depending on its use.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I still use the gaseous side of the SPOM build, then siphon off some hydrogen to run an AETN and pump all the oxygen through the AETN. It's still self-powering, just not a completely sealed fire-and-forget setup anymore with the wheezes requiring input now. You can build almost the exact same thing and just add a sweeper arm then ship in some phosphorite if you want basically the exact same build.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

I use the SPOM in https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359728437 (not the one with the wheezeworts). Completely hands off, works great.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

If there's one thing you gotta know about space, build your automation/conductive wire with iron, not lead. I wasted like 20 cycles wondering where the gently caress my bunker door power lines were disappearing to.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

insta posted:

The Tragic Home suffered a case of "nah I'm sure that's enough food, I'll decommission the farms and switch to meat" that led to such a mass famine that the power grid browned out as the janitors carried dead dupes to the Gravitas facility graveyard via transit tube.

I had 26 of my 33 dupes die within 3 cycles. There isn't really a roll back either, since I've already used all the dirt on my map 400 cycles so ago trying to prop up the last famine. The bristles are just fruiting now, so in about 3 cycles I'll be back to 50k calories and can shut the farms down....

33 dupes?! Jesus christ. I can't even keep 11 busy

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Honestly even my iron automation wire disappears sometimes, I eventually gave up and replaced it with thermium once I had some.

I’m getting bored of my current base, to be honest... I guess the last thing to do is to figure out how to synthesize liquid hydrogen and go to the tear!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You'll want to eventually replace everything in your launch section with ceramic, steel, wolframite, tungsten, and obsidian; temperature tops out at around 1600C from the exhaust which will eventually melt other common materials.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Holy crap, 150kg of plastic per glossy drecko. I opportunistically made a pen for them after noticing there were two in the wild.

It's gonna take awhile to ramp up, but yeah, totally worth it. I'll probably extend a cooling loop for traditional plastics production too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah anything near rocket exhaust gets steel wire now - I tried iron but it melts around 1500 apparently.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

swampcow posted:

33 dupes?! Jesus christ. I can't even keep 11 busy

I'm 1600 cycles in with the whole map cored out. I'm kinda salty about it tbh, but it was my own fault.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

swampcow posted:

Holy crap, 150kg of plastic per glossy drecko. I opportunistically made a pen for them after noticing there were two in the wild.

It's gonna take awhile to ramp up, but yeah, totally worth it. I'll probably extend a cooling loop for traditional plastics production too.

Glossy dreckos are mandatory in my bases. 300ish hours in the game, and I've never even built a polymer press.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

You'll want to eventually replace everything in your launch section with ceramic, steel, wolframite, tungsten, and obsidian; temperature tops out at around 1600C from the exhaust which will eventually melt other common materials.

It actually breaks 3000C right under the engine of a hydrogen rocket. Not even steel is safe, though it'll last for a while if you don't put it directly under the engine.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I tried out a few mods recently, and I have to say I really appreciate the Notification Trigger mod. My base is always having one meltdown or another because I'm a slob and I get distracted and forget to check something. Now I can just use automation to send myself a text alert before it happens. I get notified if my liquid storages are almost empty or about to overflow, or if my Drecko ranch temperature gets too hot for mealwood because I suck at cooling. You can use clock sensors to remind yourself to check in on ongoing projects, or do other important daily stuff:

If you use the highest alert "level", it even pauses the game when it triggers.

Next I think I'll put a germ alarm on the floor by my atmo suit docks so I remember to mop up after Nisbet gets herself stuck for the 20th time.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I actually like the design of the the glossy drecko vs polymer press quite a bit.

Glossy dreckos are extremely resource efficient. The downside is the ranching space and duplicant labour required. For those trying to run efficient bases they are great.

The polymer press is a much more automated/industrial approach. No duplicant labour, though you do need to set them up in particular ways to deal with thermal limitations. If you take the highly automated industrial route, like I do to an extreme with petroleum boilers, the entire process might only take duplicant labour in the oil wells. It is easy to scale and churn out lots of plastic given a large supply of petroleum. By contrast if you are minimizing resource usage, the press may not be worth ever touching.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I find glossy decks are great for the initial volume of plastic you need for your first few steam turbines and sensors, but production at scale for tubes using them either requires enormous amounts of ranching or time, meaning it's good to move towards a petroleum boiler when you can.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It’s debatable, once you have 8-16 dreckos they continue to produce forever and you need like one mealwood/bristle per drecko to get infinite phosphorite/plastic. Dirt for mealwood used to be an issue but with ethanol being a thing that’s not a problem anymore.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You can also be fancy and feed them balm lilies.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Harder to isolate a hot, chlorine environment required for lilies while still being accessible to ranching and the next generation is less likely to be glossy without a steady diet of mealwood.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ohh I didn't know that made them less likely to be glossy - I personally believe I have all the plastic I'll need from my mealwood ranch and have been thinking of how to switch them over, but I planned on moving to regular dreckos for insulation making anyway.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mazz posted:

It’s debatable, once you have 8-16 dreckos they continue to produce forever and you need like one mealwood/bristle per drecko to get infinite phosphorite/plastic. Dirt for mealwood used to be an issue but with ethanol being a thing that’s not a problem anymore.

You can use pips to plant wild mealwood so you don't even have to use dirt.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hi folks, I wanted you to know I just created a base building megathread here. Hope you find it helpful, and please leave comments in the thread, thanks.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Ohh I didn't know that made them less likely to be glossy - I personally believe I have all the plastic I'll need from my mealwood ranch and have been thinking of how to switch them over, but I planned on moving to regular dreckos for insulation making anyway.

Glossy can't eat balm lilies. One popular style of build has a breeding chamber with 8 groomed glossies, and all glossy eggs are immediately shipped to a massive hydrogen stable, no plants. They live long enough to shear once, then produce meat. Only the breeding stock gets to eat, but they don't usually have hydrogen.

In my current base (recovering, back to 12 dupes), I have an idle set of 7x hydrogen & chlorine stables for a passive eggshell and reedfiber source.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You can use pips to plant wild mealwood so you don't even have to use dirt.

Pips love to do really annoying poo poo like not plant seeds for me but yeah you could definitely do that, especially if you prep the ranches with pips then move them to the next area once the mealwood is down.

The only issue I see is that you need 1 plant per drecko and pips space the plants out by design so it will be space consuming in a ranch that needs a vertical element for the hydrogen. I would say it’s much easier to just plant 9 mealwood and support that via one distiller or a sieve/compost, they can have harvest disabled and be fed by an arm so it’s nearly completely hands off as well.

EDIT: ^^^^ Also a good idea

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 22, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also I leaned ethanol distillers don't seem to overpressure because, uhh, my distiller room has hundreds of kgs of co2 jammed in there.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
It's really fun to let an ethanol aquatuner chew on a bunch of CO2 for a bit.

Ridgewell
Apr 29, 2009

Ai tolja tahitta ferlip inbaul intada oh'l! Andatdohn meenis ferlip ineer oh'l!

Ridgewell posted:

I haven't played ONI in over a year (before the space stuff came out) and am currently running a new base with about 50 cycles so far. Does anyone here have any good guides, build patterns (I understand that the SPOM doesn't exist anymore - what's a good replacement to get oxygen and cooling), etc?

Thanks a lot for all your advice and links, this has been really helpful. My base it at cycle ~100 and doing well so far, albeit I'm slow at everything (we all know how quickly things can turn sour).

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Also I leaned ethanol distillers don't seem to overpressure because, uhh, my distiller room has hundreds of kgs of co2 jammed in there.
I discovered the same thing about oil wells the other day. I was using a liquid lock to keep the natural gas contained, imagine my surprise when I found oil spilling out into my main base, with the wells completely submerged and all the natural gas squeezed into a couple of ~170kg tiles in the top corner. On the plus side I ended up with plenty of petroleum!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

misguided rage posted:

I discovered the same thing about oil wells the other day. I was using a liquid lock to keep the natural gas contained, imagine my surprise when I found oil spilling out into my main base, with the wells completely submerged and all the natural gas squeezed into a couple of ~170kg tiles in the top corner. On the plus side I ended up with plenty of petroleum!

Yeah you have to set up a hydro sensor to disable the reservoirs instead

EDIT is there a don’t starve thread? Started playing that recently and I’m not very good at don’t starve

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 23, 2019

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Man, trips to other asteroids take quite some time. I was hoping to avoid having to make every single resource renewable, but guess I was wrong.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

I have 100kg of sooper coolant, look out universe. that's like what, 10 pipes full

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

LOX would have been quite the project without supercoolant but as soon as I got a little I was just like, yeah sure let's do this, and had some very quickly. I was looking forward to liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen as endgame challenges but it turns out they're kinda easy with supercoolant and also both have the same solution.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Slimelung will be wiped out in our lifetime

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

swampcow posted:

Slimelung will be wiped out in our lifetime

Break bell rings, Dupe drops polluted dirt in the middle of the base

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

LOX would have been quite the project without supercoolant but as soon as I got a little I was just like, yeah sure let's do this, and had some very quickly. I was looking forward to liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen as endgame challenges but it turns out they're kinda easy with supercoolant and also both have the same solution.

So if you didn't have supercoolant, i guess you would cool oxygen to liquid using a hydrogen coolant, then use the liquid oxygen as coolant for the hydrogen?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mazz posted:

Pips love to do really annoying poo poo like not plant seeds for me but yeah you could definitely do that, especially if you prep the ranches with pips then move them to the next area once the mealwood is down.

The only issue I see is that you need 1 plant per drecko and pips space the plants out by design so it will be space consuming in a ranch that needs a vertical element for the hydrogen. I would say it’s much easier to just plant 9 mealwood and support that via one distiller or a sieve/compost, they can have harvest disabled and be fed by an arm so it’s nearly completely hands off as well.

EDIT: ^^^^ Also a good idea

Once you know how pips plant you can do all sorts of shenanigans with them. They'll gladly plant two things right next to each other if there's a low enough number of plants nearby.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Once you know how pips plant you can do all sorts of shenanigans with them. They'll gladly plant two things right next to each other if there's a low enough number of plants nearby.

Brothgar has a pretty good video explaining Pip planting if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbDhZy8ZZoM

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

swampcow posted:

So if you didn't have supercoolant, i guess you would cool oxygen to liquid using a hydrogen coolant, then use the liquid oxygen as coolant for the hydrogen?

There is another way using nothing but thermoregulators, though power inefficient. If a pipe is at 10% capacity or less then even if a state change occurs in the pipe the pipe won't break. If you use valves to force a maximum gas packet size of 100g then you can condense the gas in pipe and it will be fine coming out the vent. Designing such a system is not trivial however.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

swampcow posted:

Oxygen freezes before hydrogen condenses I'm pretty sure. Without doing that valve trick I guess you'd have to get it as low as you could with a tuner and then push it over the edge with wheezeworts? E: although I guess theyd stop working, so nevermind

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 28, 2019