Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

It’s interesting that 3 different superhero tv series have had power-swapping/stealing villains (MHA, Heroes, and Misfits).

afaik almost every superhero property has some sort of "power stealing" character and they're almost always a disaster for the plot

AfO is one of the better examples because he's in a world where nearly everyone has a superpower and it's considered a fundamental part of their identity, so someone who robs them of that is seen as way more of a horror than just a really strong dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ijyt posted:

He’s in prison though so it’s fine now.
Throwing comic book villains in prison is, ultimately, better than "killing" them. At least when they're in prison you get a heads up when they're preparing to make a come back. When you kill them they just show up alive again out of the blue and gently caress everything up while you're still off balance.

Case in point: All for One.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's in jail, it's fine, he'll never hurt anyone again, it's not like he's cultivated a steadily growing legacy or anything. Why, if that happened, it'd have to be one of the main themes of the series, and that's ridiculous.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Why doesn't Batman just kill the All For One?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I thought they'd mentioned at some point that AfO is actually, literally immortal? Or at least so durable as to be effectively so.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
immortal no, unnaturally long-lived yes

the man's probably loaded himself up with anti-ageing quirks, but it was sheer luck that he survived getting his head punched off

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

It’s interesting that 3 different superhero tv series have had power-swapping/stealing villains (MHA, Heroes, and Misfits).

I wonder who the first one is. Rogue from x-men?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's a little odd that he doesn't just keep a regen type quirk around all the time but if he did that there wouldnt really be a plot so :shrug:

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

It's a little odd that he doesn't just keep a regen type quirk around all the time but if he did that there wouldnt really be a plot so :shrug:

They aren't common.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was already mentioned but he didn't find one until after his head got smashed in. That one only healed him back to the point he was at when he got it, i.e. Having a mass of scar tissue instead of a face.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Adder Moray posted:

They aren't common.

Yeah but he had like 6 generations to find one right?

Guess at some point after quirk #80 he just figured he was functionally invincible anyways and wasn't really actively looking

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ninjewtsu posted:

Not really, it's classic supervillain hubris. He'd been on top of the criminal underworld for so long that he believed he was unstoppable. Keeping a regenerative or defensive quirk around "just in case" would be an admission that he was vulnerable or that he believed there was a possibility he could actually lose.

All Might being powerful enough to survive his attack and then rush him down and turn the top half of his skull into chunky salsa was not how All For One was expecting that fight to end.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want to see how all for one does quirk transfers. It clearly isn't some instant thing he can do by like, just touching someone, as presumably if it was he's have just taken one for all

The nomus were in weird vats but I dunno if that's purely part of the nomu-making process or if it's related to the quirk transfering at all

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

a kitten posted:

I wonder who the first one is. Rogue from x-men?

Mimic sort of beat her to it, though he just copied rather than stole. Same for Amazo, who debuted in 1960

if there's someone who straight up took powers away from others for their own use prior to Rogue I'm drawing a blank

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I want to see how all for one does quirk transfers. It clearly isn't some instant thing he can do by like, just touching someone, as presumably if it was he's have just taken one for all

The nomus were in weird vats but I dunno if that's purely part of the nomu-making process or if it's related to the quirk transfering at all

One For All can't be taken by force. It's the one quirk All For One can't steal.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

He could take the energy storing quirk though right? Or does one for all protect all quirks the user has?

I guess it let's you be given quirks but doesn't let them be stolen?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

He could take the energy storing quirk though right? Or does one for all protect all quirks the user has?

I guess it let's you be given quirks but doesn't let them be stolen?

one for all is the hybrid of an energy-storage quirk and a quirk that lets power grow over time

something about the fusion gave it its "inheritance" property, which makes it so that it can only be passed on voluntarily

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 23, 2019

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The growing over time is part of the energy storage. One for All is a combination of that stockpiling and a Quirk that lets you transfer itself to other people.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
crap, that was my first take but i went back and changed it

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
All for One's whole thing, also, is that he steals quirks and gifts them out to his minions and underlings. Nowadays 80% of people have quirks, but back when it was like 20% of the population, the ability to steal useful powers and forge an army of grateful supervillains made up of the most loyal and capable enforces in itself is an incredibly OP ability before you get to him able to use them himself. And the way he took apart top heroes like Best Jeanist, why would he hold onto a regen quirk if he's basically invincible?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The_Doctor posted:

Technically, Syler didn't steal powers. He just copied them, but to do that, he had to analyze their brain at first, killing them in the process. :science:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Mimic sort of beat her to it, though he just copied rather than stole. Same for Amazo, who debuted in 1960

if there's someone who straight up took powers away from others for their own use prior to Rogue I'm drawing a blank

Probably because the stealable power set at that point wasn’t that massive?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I don’t like what the Ep.4 preview is insinuating :qq:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rohan Kishibe posted:

All for One's whole thing, also, is that he steals quirks and gifts them out to his minions and underlings. Nowadays 80% of people have quirks, but back when it was like 20% of the population, the ability to steal useful powers and forge an army of grateful supervillains made up of the most loyal and capable enforces in itself is an incredibly OP ability before you get to him able to use them himself. And the way he took apart top heroes like Best Jeanist, why would he hold onto a regen quirk if he's basically invincible?

This, plus from the healing quirks we've seen so far I get the feeling that they're a bit like teleportation/portal quirks in that they tend to be both rare and gimmicky. (E.g. Recovery Girl just seems to accelerate natural healing to an absurd degree, but she can't regenerate severed body parts.)

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Man Sayuri does amazing endings and they always get stuck in my head, already my favorite season just because of that.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
The extra long hiatus seems to really have killed this show's popularity. Barely any activity after last week's episode in a lot of the places I visit online.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Doesn't help that things haven't popped off yet

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I mean, this episode kinda felt like it spun the tires a bit. The most interesting parts were the end of Deku's test and the stinger.

There's just not a whole lot to discuss, I think.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
A filler episode and two episodes worth of setup, there's nothing really to talk about yet. This last episode was could have been a five minute recap instead of a full episode.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder what Deku's thinking when he runs across a scared girl in bandages who recoils from him, being followed by Kai Chisaki

The episode preview was also hilariously spoilery

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It's mostly build up and scene setting so far so there hasn't been much to talk about. I've been enjoying it so far though, especially the meeting between Overhaul and the League of Villains.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, right now it's just setting up the pieces for stuff that's going to happen later on, so I don't mind the slow burn.

Really, the main thing I've taken away from this season so far is that Sir Nighteye is a dick.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, he seems pervy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1190376339842293760

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Aw.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Holy poo poo the anime is going to match the weekly pace of the manga for this arc

Brave

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shinjobi posted:

Holy poo poo the anime is going to match the weekly pace of the manga for this arc

Brave

The only way to get the true experience, and hell, I respect it

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently it's because the Rugby World Cub is going to be on in their usual timeslot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Apparently it's because the Rugby World Cub is going to be on in their usual timeslot.

ALL SHALL KNOW THE PAIN OF BEING PREEMPTED BY SPORTS
-Toku thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Latest episode: If All Might dies this season I'll scream.

Also looking forward to seeing Amajiki in action next week.