Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Secrets, blackmail and dread all sound great. Stress vs. roleplaying will be interesting I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm cautious after imperators release but these ideas seem great.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was already tension over the western church preferring latin while the eastern did greek. Western christianity was mostly under one singular administration (with the exception of weird denominations that they worked to stamp out before CK2 starts), and the pope was a heavily influential individual, whereas the eastern church was split between patriarchs who regularly met up in ecumenical councils and the Byzantine emperors had more control of. Western christians also sometimes had trouble showing up to ecumenical councils held off in the east, and they had some argument that the patriarch of Rome was supposed to have supremacy over the rest of the pentachy for Reasons. There were also a series of doctrinal differences that I really can't parse fully. The history of christianity is fascinating and worth reading, but it's hard to understand people's actual beliefs.

But the final straw was in 1054. While popes were generally more powerful in the west than the patriarchs were in the east, they were still in the precarious position of having to deal with big powerful states. The pope was dealing with the Normans taking over big chunks of Italy, couldn't get help from the Byzantine Emperor, and eventually granted the Norman conquests (that included Byzantine territory) legitimacy. That and everything else spiraled into an argument between the pope and ecumenical patriarch that led to the mutual excommunication of Orthodox and Catholic churches from eachother, and that wound up sticking.

But while they both were separate administrations with significant doctrinal differences, there was still significant intermingling between subjects, and the first crusade was ostensibly a catholic response to orthodox calls for help against muslims, and most of the big crusader lords had to swear loyalty to the Byzantine emperor on the way to their fight, which most of them betrayed that deal and set up their own little independent states. It's all weird.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
One thing I always wondered about, though this is more of an EU4 thing is how Orthodox Christianity and the various Protestant sects saw each other.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

One thing I always wondered about, though this is more of an EU4 thing is how Orthodox Christianity and the various Protestant sects saw each other.

They tried to get to together but it didn't really pan out. Some communiques between Luther's successors and orthodox deacons occurred. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitrije_Ljubavi%C4%87

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Are there any relatively up to date tutorials or let's plays that you guys suggest? I really want to learn more about this game, I have a very surface level understanding at best.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
No antipopes or investiture seems extremely glaring

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm hoping they're making interacting with the Pope more involved and meaningful. My standard Catholic game either ignores him all together, or just runs an antipope. Although it's missing investiture so who knows what direction they're taking.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

AnEdgelord posted:

it's complicated, in a word. most of luther's objections weren't doctrinal but rather procedural; he never wanted to argue about the state of the heavens, he was much more concerned about how preoccupied the church was with political affairs versus the spiritual and social ones that they should have been concerned with (in his words). the hierarchy of the church was something he had problems with and wanted to see reformed but it was not one of his primary complaints.

due to the patriarchal rather than papal organizational structure in orthodoxy, orthodox realms tended to vary a lot more in these specifics than catholic archbishoprics did. so this ended up being a highly case-by-case basis where protestant enclaves that bordered highly ostentatious patriarchal enclaves would get pretty hot and bothered about them, protestant enclaves that bordered patriarchal enclaves that were relatively less ostentatious than the archbishopric would tend to look at them as an example that their vision could work, and protestant enclaves that were further away from orthodox land (esp in the German heartland where a lot of the Protestant movement started) the sentiment was pretty much the same as local Catholics because the orthodox christians weren't the point and people didn't really think about it that much.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm hoping they're making interacting with the Pope more involved and meaningful.
Shake the pope for money.
Rub the pope for prestige.
Rub harder for bonus piety.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Henrik Fåhreus posted:

"You always have a revoke reason on minor baronies. Of course, if it's a church, the church is still there and will not be pleased, but if it's just a baron that you've assigned to some castle there's no real negative consequence for revoking. The idea with barons—the feudal barons—is basically to be a refrigerator for interesting characters."

That's cool. Baronies generally are more fun to use like that anyways, and it'd be nice to be able to have an easy avenue for consolidating or dispersing control over your demesne instead of taking 10 years steadily scheming against every little person.

Henrik Fåhreus posted:

"Stress is a new system that encourages you to roleplay," Fåhreus says. "In [Crusader Kings 2] you didn't have to care about your own personality traits. So the idea in CK3 is that when you act against your character's personality, which you're still free to do, you gain Stress. So there's no 'Stressed' trait; it's a percentage, essentially. When you go up a Stress level, some negative things happen, so you have a little mental break. When it reaches the max, you probably go insane or something like that... your character will have serious problems."

Could be cool, could be incredibly tedious having to constantly fight against the grain. I guess you'd have much more motivation to try gaming the system to change your traits around rather than what we have now where it's a couple stat boosts. It's gonna be anyone's guess what traits correspond to what at first though.

Henrik Fåhreus posted:

Unless you start the game as one, playing as a cadet house will be "pretty rare", according to Fåhreus. It's mainly a feature meant for the AI to use, though a cadet house that gets more powerful than the original house can become the new leader of the dynasty. Dynastic civil wars will, sadly, not be in at launch.

Okay, this one annoys me. Not because of the specifics of cadet house features or whatever, but just the fact that it's basically confirming that CK3 will be going for the same sort of uncontrollable character succession that CK2 has. No choosing which heir you want to become when your realm fractures in gavelkind, no openings for non-dynastic governments like theocracies, kind of sounds like their cadet house mechanics ignore things like Tanistry too.

That dynasty tree screenshot they keep showing is just totally unreadable on my monitor during the day. It's too dark and low contrast. I don't think I like the principle though.

Henrik Fåhreus posted:

Men-at-arms won't stand around on the map like Crusader Kings 2's retinues, but will appear ready to fight when you call your levies. All of your armies will also now appear at designated rally points after a certain amount of time rather than having to march from their home counties. It still takes about the same amount of time to assemble an army, but you won't have to micromanage dozens of tiny stacks.

So they're moving to presenting different types of armies between knights/levies/standing armies, which is neat, but even cooler is that they're avoiding the bit that I found tedious about retinues, the having to constantly maneuver them around during peacetime and putting them back into place after wars. That's one of the reasons I liked CK2 over EU3, managing armies is so simple in comparison.

Also probably mitigates the possible annoyance of having to weave through all these baronies just while mobilizing and demobilizing your armies. Tactical depth is cool when tactics are necessary, but it's just busywork otherwise.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Did they say that explicitly? The article made reference to seizing churches as part of being able to revoke baronies. They also said that mere baron-level bishops don't directly exist ingame and are represented more indirectly. Which I took as a bit of a positive because while investiture was an important point of contention in feudal leaders vs. the church, it was also incredibly tedious to directly manage free investiture constantly. It seems like a horrible oversight if they actually left out antipopes though.

The Church v. State conflict in CK2 always seemed a bit weird because there was very rarely any way to see things from the other side of the power dynamic.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I pretty much always go papal investiture, doesn’t seem worth it to bother changing

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SlothfulCobra posted:

No choosing which heir you want to become when your realm fractures in gavelkind,

This has been on my wish list for a long time. Not even with just gavelkind. Sometimes I just don't want to play my top title, and want to go play a landed son or minor inheritor.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did they say that explicitly?

The reddit page has a few questions that didn't make the article, and they explicitly say it there.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I pretty much always go papal investiture, doesn’t seem worth it to bother changing

I'm greedy so it's always free. The pope rarely bothers me much more than a token whining.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

free investiture gives you big bonuses with your temple vassals and makes it much more likely that you will get their taxes rather than the pope so you should basically always be on free investiture if you can manage it. that said, if i'm on free investiture and the pope demands i switch it back to papal to crown me, i tend to consider that a preferable sacrifice when i compare it to most of the demands he can make.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Could be cool, could be incredibly tedious having to constantly fight against the grain. I guess you'd have much more motivation to try gaming the system to change your traits around rather than what we have now where it's a couple stat boosts. It's gonna be anyone's guess what traits correspond to what at first though.

to me the relative merit or hazard of this point is entirely dependent upon the educational system. if i have at least as much control over my characters' outcomes as conclave lets me have, i'll probably enjoy it just fine and will appreciate not having to worry about getting stressed at random intervals and dying of overwork at 29. if i have relatively little control over my characters' outcomes (like in base CK2), i'll find this very frustrating because getting an heir that is wroth and cruel will tacitly oblige me to playing in a way that isn't sustainable and will mess me up strategically.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 23, 2019

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Coolguye posted:

free investiture gives you big bonuses with your temple vassals and makes it much more likely that you will get their taxes rather than the pope so you should basically always be on free investiture if you can manage it. that said, if i'm on free investiture and the pope demands i switch it back to papal to crown me, i tend to consider that a preferable sacrifice when i compare it to most of the demands he can make.

I love it when the pope demands that I depose an excommunicated ruler who has roughly 10x as many troops as I do.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Armacham posted:

I love it when the pope demands that I depose an excommunicated ruler who has roughly 10x as many troops as I do.

Yeah, got that last night. Attack the HRE and depose the antipope, as the Brittany challenge guy. Decided it wasn't worth having the Pope crown me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah those were the exact requests i was thinking of when i made that post

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It really does, crazy pope shenanigans and the investiture crisis are practically defining traits of the middle ages.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was already tension over the western church preferring latin while the eastern did greek. Western christianity was mostly under one singular administration (with the exception of weird denominations that they worked to stamp out before CK2 starts), and the pope was a heavily influential individual, whereas the eastern church was split between patriarchs who regularly met up in ecumenical councils and the Byzantine emperors had more control of. Western christians also sometimes had trouble showing up to ecumenical councils held off in the east, and they had some argument that the patriarch of Rome was supposed to have supremacy over the rest of the pentachy for Reasons. There were also a series of doctrinal differences that I really can't parse fully. The history of christianity is fascinating and worth reading, but it's hard to understand people's actual beliefs.

But the final straw was in 1054. While popes were generally more powerful in the west than the patriarchs were in the east, they were still in the precarious position of having to deal with big powerful states. The pope was dealing with the Normans taking over big chunks of Italy, couldn't get help from the Byzantine Emperor, and eventually granted the Norman conquests (that included Byzantine territory) legitimacy. That and everything else spiraled into an argument between the pope and ecumenical patriarch that led to the mutual excommunication of Orthodox and Catholic churches from eachother, and that wound up sticking.

But while they both were separate administrations with significant doctrinal differences, there was still significant intermingling between subjects, and the first crusade was ostensibly a catholic response to orthodox calls for help against muslims, and most of the big crusader lords had to swear loyalty to the Byzantine emperor on the way to their fight, which most of them betrayed that deal and set up their own little independent states. It's all weird.

A thought just occurred to me related to this: one of the weird elements of CK2 is how the start date moved back to pre-schism but the hard line between the Catholic and Orthodox church is still there because of the way the game had been set up - since the earliest start date of CK3 will be the Old Gods start, and they have a whole system set up for dynamic creation of new religious branches, I wonder if the game will actually start with a unified Christian church and fire off an event to cause the schism?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Coolguye posted:

to me the relative merit or hazard of this point is entirely dependent upon the educational system. if i have at least as much control over my characters' outcomes as conclave lets me have, i'll probably enjoy it just fine and will appreciate not having to worry about getting stressed at random intervals and dying of overwork at 29. if i have relatively little control over my characters' outcomes (like in base CK2), i'll find this very frustrating because getting an heir that is wroth and cruel will tacitly oblige me to playing in a way that isn't sustainable and will mess me up strategically.

What you're describing would be good as hell, is the thing. It's more historical and creates better stories, plus it makes it less likely that you can just establish a huge fuckoff empire and then stay on top of it forever.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's a stark difference between a suboptimal heir that will require you to play to lose the least and a time bomb heir that is guaranteed to shatter everything you've spent the last 150 years building. the former we already have in CK2 and is known as the idiot heir whose entire legacy will be wasted time and massive revolts, some of which you won't be able to handle. the latter is an active malefactor that you can do nothing about.

suboptimal heirs will be a fact of life one way or another, i'm sure. active malefactors are not a thing in CK2 right now and i'll need some real convincing to grant the idea that they should be.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Being able to pick and choose which heir to play as would fix a whole heap of problems especially if the other heirs are far superior and could unite the realm to overthrow the incompetent ones.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah I would prefer that in any succession system you can always just say, "Hey I want this kid to succeed me with the most stuff" but the other characters should react based on how big a breach this is. Like if you're on primo and it's a second kid, people will grumble, but it's not that untoward, but if it's the tenth kid people get pissed off. Or like in gavelkind/tribe if you pick the kid that's strongest at martial people won't care because hey the strongest should lead. Stuff like that. And then if you can get a heir designation succession, just those penalties go away.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I think the idea is inheritance happens as usual, you just don't become that person automatically. Instead there's a list of people you can play as based on whatever criteria and you just pick up from there.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Not even talking about picking and choosing succession - just being able to play as a lesser landed heir and being able to to overthrow the others in a good family feud would add a lot.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

Yeah I would prefer that in any succession system you can always just say, "Hey I want this kid to succeed me with the most stuff" but the other characters should react based on how big a breach this is. Like if you're on primo and it's a second kid, people will grumble, but it's not that untoward, but if it's the tenth kid people get pissed off. Or like in gavelkind/tribe if you pick the kid that's strongest at martial people won't care because hey the strongest should lead. Stuff like that. And then if you can get a heir designation succession, just those penalties go away.

It's an interesting question because it's one of those weird abstractions the game uses that doesn't really apply to real life. Like in England there wasn't really any formal succession law for centuries - the first son of the king would usually inherit but there were tons of cases where they just picked someone else entirely, sometimes even a cousin over one of their own children or siblings. This usually caused problems but it wasn't strictly forbidden.

The thing is that I think finagling succession is one of the aspects of CK2 that makes it unique among strategy games and making it more convenient would make it less interesting. The thing about "soft" penalties like vassal relations and so on is there's a lot of easy ways around them so they aren't really a deterrent to a min-max player. They will just always pick their strong genius uberchildren and then if there's a revolt on succession, just win that war and leave all their discontent vassals locked in prison forever where they can't do anything. By forcing people to play out suboptimal heirs it creates situations you can't just game the system to get out of, you have to actually play at a disadvantage sometimes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I think the idea is inheritance happens as usual, you just don't become that person automatically. Instead there's a list of people you can play as based on whatever criteria and you just pick up from there.

Yeah, this is what I want. I don't want to pick and choose which heir is primary, outside of game mechanics. But when my character dies, I might want to switch to a lesser heir or landed child rather than keep rolling with the entire empire.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They could probably tweak probabilities of bad traits so that only every so often your kid's education totally backfires. Like you get a wroth, cruel character when you're trying to play things nicely and delicately, or if you're on a real murder spree and get a nice guy, you can just eat the stress, get depressed, and kill yourself, so you get a head start on your next ruler.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

:thunk:

I'm guessing they mean like six side civil wars, I hope.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I got After the End going and it's really great fun, but I think I've run into some bugs. When I first started playing a big warning came up that the checksum was wrong and I should deactivate any other mods, except I didn't have any others active so I ignored it.

First, this province exists. I accidentally sent raiders into it once and I couldn't select them afterwards to move them, or even see them on the map. I had to lower my levies to get them out if it.

Secondly I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I've just forgotten how CK2 works, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be able to regenerate my full levy while its deployed somewhere else.

I saw the mod is rated to work on 3.2.1 and my launcher version is 3.3, is there anything I can do or should I just live with these issues?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

MaxieSatan posted:

What you're describing would be good as hell, is the thing. It's more historical and creates better stories, plus it makes it less likely that you can just establish a huge fuckoff empire and then stay on top of it forever.

Coolguye posted:

there's a stark difference between a suboptimal heir that will require you to play to lose the least and a time bomb heir that is guaranteed to shatter everything you've spent the last 150 years building. the former we already have in CK2 and is known as the idiot heir whose entire legacy will be wasted time and massive revolts, some of which you won't be able to handle. the latter is an active malefactor that you can do nothing about.

suboptimal heirs will be a fact of life one way or another, i'm sure. active malefactors are not a thing in CK2 right now and i'll need some real convincing to grant the idea that they should be.

I was going to write up a post on how stress is going to be really polarizing and sharply divide the playerbase into the people who like role-playing and the people who like accomplishing goals, but y'all did it for me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah i'm perfectly fine roleplaying a character and even during the streams i would do a lot based on how a ruler turned out versus how they were 'optimally' used but i certainly don't think a bad heir should shatter my holdings without much i can do to handle the problem.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's an interesting question because it's one of those weird abstractions the game uses that doesn't really apply to real life. Like in England there wasn't really any formal succession law for centuries - the first son of the king would usually inherit but there were tons of cases where they just picked someone else entirely, sometimes even a cousin over one of their own children or siblings. This usually caused problems but it wasn't strictly forbidden.

The thing is that I think finagling succession is one of the aspects of CK2 that makes it unique among strategy games and making it more convenient would make it less interesting. The thing about "soft" penalties like vassal relations and so on is there's a lot of easy ways around them so they aren't really a deterrent to a min-max player. They will just always pick their strong genius uberchildren and then if there's a revolt on succession, just win that war and leave all their discontent vassals locked in prison forever where they can't do anything. By forcing people to play out suboptimal heirs it creates situations you can't just game the system to get out of, you have to actually play at a disadvantage sometimes.

I mean right off the bat too William made Rufus King of England and left his oldest son Duke of Normandy.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
If this forced roleplaying will be really problematic for many people, I think they will just make it optional game rule (possibly disabling achievements) like they did with shattered retreats, assassinations for gold and so on.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The huge success that is the new Byzantine succession system got me thinking that a lot more places in the world should be using that sort of informal, semi-elective system. There's a huge amount of potential there for modelling really nuanced power relations within courts, and if anything it makes succession more complicated.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

OneTruePecos posted:

It really does, crazy pope shenanigans and the investiture crisis are practically defining traits of the middle ages.

yeah that's actually gotten me quite worried. got the feeling it'll be quite bare bones on launch, CK2 with expanded feudal mechanics with not much else. might end up sticking to CK2 for quite some time

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

quote:

BONUS ROUND (Stuff that didn't make it into the article):

There will be five unique graphics sets for clothes at launch: Western (European), Middle Eastern, Sub-Saharan, Indian, and Steppe. Everyone else uses whatever is the closest match. In terms of physical appearance, the new DNA system can represent all ethnicities, so we probably won't see face packs again. No era-specific clothing at launch.

Clothing is partly based on rank. A Western Count and a Western Duke might wear a similar style clothing, but one wears linen and one wears silk and you will be able to see that difference.

No more static event pictures. Events will feature the actual character models posed against some kind of background, and they can have props like knives, crucifixes, etc. Currently they don't animate to actually interact like getting into a fight.

Tutorial is described as "Stellaris-like", and they've improved the ways the game can give you suggestions on what you want to be doing. More approachable, but not dumbed down.

Custom religions you found can have Holy Orders. Not ready to talk much about that.

The tech system is more tied to characters than it was in CK2, but not ready to talk about it yet.

Councilor jobs like Steward are now an "office" that is placed on the map instead of a person, so you don't have to re-assign it when the councilor dies. The office itself can even still keep working without a holder, just at a very reduced effectiveness.

The new Doctrines and Tenets are being used to represent more historically accurate versions of real heresies like Catharism. The AI will found these, and they are weighted to appear at the place and time they did historically. The AI will stick to founding historical heresies and won't abuse the system to create random weird ones. That's the player's job.

Zoroastrians can still have incest, naturally, and you can reform any religion to allow it now.

Historical events like the Mongol Invasion are in. Dynamic epidemics from Reaper's Due are not in, as they didn't feel that feature worked very well. No word on how the plague will be handled.

Characters still get sick and are treated by Court Physicians.

Provinces now have Development, which is like civilization value in Imperator. Tribes don't care about it but feudals get more taxes from it.

Revolt Risk has been replaced by Control, which is going to work a bit differently.

If your heir when you die is an old guy who has already invested all of his perks, you can respec his lifestyle tree once if it sucks.

Splendour is like your Dynasty XP. It's used to buy Legacies, which are kind of like national ideas in EU4 and stay with your dynasty forever. One of these lets you increase the chances of inheriting congenital traits, if you want to create a dynasty of stong genius ubermensch. It's not realistic but it is a playstyle they want to support.

Foreigners don't care about Dread, only your own vassals.

Fleets are now handled like CK1. You just pay money to turn into boats. Naval combat is a possibility in the future. Henrik thinks it would be cool, especially for the Mediterranean.

Vikings can still sail up rivers.

There is a big dragon hanging out in the Terra Incognita on the Eastern edge of the map and it looks like they've left plenty of room to add China in the future. They wouldn't say anything about it. No Chinese Emperor interactions at launch.

No plans for a CK3 to EU4 converter.

You only need to siege the fortified holdings to occupy an entire county. Castles are automatically fortified, but cities and churches are not unless you have built walls in them.

Factions are back. Peasants can now found factions. One example given was that Norwegian peasants living under a Danish king can found a self-rule faction, and Norwegian culture nobles will join them. Like a combination of a CK2 faction and a peasant revolt, very powerful.

Henrik is not interested in non-dynastic play (Holy Orders, etc). Playable mercenaries are a possibility, being landless and using your armies to make money. Adoption is also a potential mechanic. Neither one will be in at launch.

Much more events that deal with interpersonal drama and people important to the player, like family/friends/rivals.

Events can look back at how the relationship between two characters has developed over many years and generate content for them dynamically.

Poetry generator that will actually make your poetry better or worse based on character skill.

Double the number of content designers working on CK3 as CK2 had at its height.

Direct vassals will always matter. So the previous comment about Barons not being important doesn't necessarily apply if you're a Count.

No crazy fantasy events (immortality, Satanism, child of destiny) at launch. Undecided if they will be added later, but if they will, there will definitely be game rules to turn them off. CK3 should feel more historical compared to CK2. This was a goal.

There will be special mechanics for Crusades but they're not talking about that yet.

Playing pagans feels "significantly different" from CK2.

You can reform from tribal to feudal.

Control is more of a short-term thing and Development is more long-term. For example, Control in a province is reduced when it changes owners but recovers quickly.

Religions have degrees of relation. Abrahamic > Christian > Catholic.

Eastern Religions are still more tolerant of heresies.

Ecumenism: Catholics/Orthodox/Coptic don't treat each other as heresies for purposes of CBs and stuff. There are steps of tolerance. It's not just "True Faith, Heretic, or Heathen".

Converting foreign rulers with your chaplain will not be in at launch.

Investiture system and antipopes will not be in at launch.

When you found a new religion, some vassals and some provinces will convert. Based on things like opinion modifier and traits (Zealous/Cynical)

Terrain type has an effect on Development in provinces, but climate currently does not.

EDIT: No inventory system at launch.

I took this from the guy who spoke to the devs and wrote an article for a gaming website.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If you have a bad heir then you can choose to not role-play them, make optimal decisions, and then as a bonus your bad ruler dies faster from stress.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Shame about no artifacts. Also doesn't look like societies are in. Still what is there sounds good. And tentatively I can still reform Hellenism. I also hope their focus on more historical doesn't mean that enatic succession is out. At least leave it in the files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The problem with enforced roleplay is that gameplay is non-flexible - it's a script after all. So if you get penalized for something you disagree with you're going to get pissed off.

I think the correct fix for this from a game design perspective is to invert the whole thing and give bonuses to forced roleplay. At least that doesn't piss the player off

Dwesa posted:

If this forced roleplaying will be really problematic for many people, I think they will just make it optional game rule (possibly disabling achievements) like they did with shattered retreats, assassinations for gold and so on.