Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

At least Trump has been working hard between Tweetstorms...

https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/1187105545997602816

"I printed off a bunch of tweets saying nice things about me and signed it. I made this." - Donald J. Trump, age 73.

EDIT: Arts and Crafts tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

That is one expensive-rear end envelope right there.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

lol you can see that's one of the sheets from his daily "print out the good news to make the cranky baby happy in the morning" folder

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1187106846651207681

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

what is he claiming he initially believed about this

I guess his staff handed him the article saying it was approved by Trump lol.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Angry_Ed posted:

"I printed off a bunch of tweets saying nice things about me and signed it. I made this." - Donald J. Trump, age 73.

more likely one of his staffers printed off a bunch of tweets and fed it to him in his morning security briefing so he didn't get too cranky watching cnn

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

evilweasel posted:

lol you can see that's one of the sheets from his daily "print out the good news to make the cranky baby happy in the morning" folder

Trump_Handjob_10-23-2019(Final).docx

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

more likely one of his staffers printed off a bunch of tweets and fed it to him in his morning security briefing so he didn't get too cranky watching cnn

it was leaked a while ago there is a specific daily "printed out good news" briefing for that exact reason, because he's a baby who needs to be praised. that sheet is obviously from it, look at the top.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I still have no idea how to get “Donald Trump” out of that loving signature.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

yeah the title is low key as funny as the existence of the page in the first place

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
I'm the gently caress off huge arrow pointing to Tammy's tweet

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1187106846651207681

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

what is he claiming he initially believed about this

That the Representatives involved were violently forcing their way into the SCIF, rather than sitting around eating pizza. The addition of the false dichotomy between a violent protest and Occupy Wall Street in his tweet does tie a pretty bow on it all.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Techically this means we're in an infrastructure week

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I feel like the act of printing out tweets pretty well symbolizes Trump's relationship with the world and reality

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Extremely Analog President meets Extremely Online Gadfly.

Temi’s gonna have that framed and hung in her living room, isn’t she?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

Didn't Gaetz receive an autographed print out of a tweet?

And then framed it and posed with the loving thing?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

we need regulations to exist in the first place, and I'm not particularly sure what those would be in specific - for example, on the Fake News Ad question, what's the solution? note, I'm not saying those regulations can't exist, I just haven't put a terribly large amount of thought into it and think it's an interesting and productive discussion topic

or to nationalize Facebook, but then we still need an administration and policy structure that solves those issues and doesn't immediately get used by a competent fascist President to lock in Nazi victory

Make facebook legally responsible for the content of the ads on their platform. the DMCA safe harbor provision is fine for FB to avoid prosecution for illegal things said on their platform in unpaid posts, but if those posts are boosted or an ad is run, then fb should be legally obligated to guarantee the veracity of the ad. for every single ad impression they show of something false or illegal or defamatory, fine them $1000.

Show something false for 5M impressions? That'll be $5B.

basically, "if you're going to make money off showing this, under pain of debilitating fines, you're going to legally certify that it's true."

Their ad business doesn't need to react instantaneously for them to stay in business. Any argument that this produces an undue burden on them for fact checking can be met with "you've been making undue profits long enough."

EDIT: but that doesn't let facebook employees off the hook. if hell is real, which it is not, every single facebook employee will enjoy eternity there.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1187109050858819584

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twice burned ice posted:

Didn't Gaetz receive an autographed print out of a tweet?

And then framed it and posed with the loving thing?

Yes, this is a recurring thing. Trump prints out people’s tweets, replies to them in black sharpie on the paper and then mails them out. He’s done this multiple times because he is an analog toddler grandpa who doesn’t even understand how email works.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Is it actually illegal to run a false ad (that doesn't rise to the US's hilairously difficult defamation standards), though?

Would it be constitutional to make it so?

edit also having a beef against the Facebook grunts is Kinda Weird

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, this is a recurring thing. Trump prints out people’s tweets, replies to them in black sharpie on the paper and then mails them out. He’s done this multiple times because he is an analog toddler grandpa who doesn’t even understand how email works.

I'm more concerned that these people are proud of receiving it. Like they don't get how pathetic and stupid it is.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

The deposition was delayed about 5 hours, meaning the deponent is getting home laaaaaaate tonight.

This can't be, several confident posters just informed me that the Republicans were now winning forever, because decorum

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Is it actually illegal to run a false ad (that doesn't rise to the US's hilairously difficult defamation standards), though?

Would it be constitutional to make it so?

i have actually been wondering if, say, biden could sue facebook for defamation because they're knowingly repeating actually false statements that are intended to damage biden

as a practical matter it'd be political death to try to do it, but i think facebook is opening itself up here in a way they may not have considered fully (and, not being a defamation lawyer myself, i don't know if "hey, we just publish it" is a defense or if there's any Section 230 stuff involved here)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I disagree. I'm a software engineer in tech and the job market is so outrageously in our favor that it is extremely easy to work somewhere and not build things that hurt people.

Facebook employees choose to build facebook instead.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Make facebook legally responsible for the content of the ads on their platform. the DMCA safe harbor provision is fine for FB to avoid prosecution for illegal things said on their platform in unpaid posts, but if those posts are boosted or an ad is run, then fb should be legally obligated to guarantee the veracity of the ad. for every single ad impression they show of something false or illegal or defamatory, fine them $1000.

Show something false for 5M impressions? That'll be $5B.

basically, "if you're going to make money off showing this, under pain of debilitating fines, you're going to legally certify that it's true."

Their ad business doesn't need to react instantaneously for them to stay in business. Any argument that this produces an undue burden on them for fact checking can be met with "you've been making undue profits long enough."

EDIT: but that doesn't let facebook employees off the hook. if hell is real, which it is not, every single facebook employee will enjoy eternity there.

Yeah I'm a huge fan of stripping off section 230 protections from paid advertising.

I would take it further and strip it from any algorithmic selection and display of content which a person has not specifically requested, since at that point the platform is no longer just a dumb host but the creator of content in the form of the timeline. If your algorithm starts "suggesting" Nazi videos and scam sites, you should be legally responsible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I disagree. I'm a software engineer in tech and the job market is so outrageously in our favor that it is extremely easy to work somewhere and not build things that hurt people.

Facebook employees choose to build facebook instead.

many facebook employees chose to build some random poo poo that got bought out by facebook because facebook is basically a modern trust

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1187103342322950145
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1187115011807821827
https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1187114853430956037
https://twitter.com/alexisgoldstein/status/1187067231626235906

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

evilweasel posted:

many facebook employees chose to build some random poo poo that got bought out by facebook because facebook is basically a modern trust

They can leave. The founders of whatsapp left multiple billions on the table to leave facebook 1-2 years earlier than agreed. All they had to do was show up occasionally and cash a check bigger than most people can conceive of, and they left.

My general point is that in tech, specifically in software engineering, we are past the point where an employee can ignore the moral and ethical consequences of what the organization they choose to work in does.

Where you work matters, what they do matters. Software engineers who don't work at facebook aren't starving. they're not the only company hiring.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/HouseInSession/status/1187113223033643018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Angry_Ed posted:

Alternatively the GOP are so loving boring as human beings they only get and enjoy cheese pizza, and I say this as a person who likes just plain cheese pizza from time to time.

I’m not gonna pretend that DC has a pizza scene like literally every major east coast city north of DC, but there have to be at least twenty local joints of different types and flavor profiles within the same cost bracket (or cheaper) and delivery distance to the Capitol’s Dominos.

Like either scalise is actually that dumb and intellectually bland or it’s a GOP affectation for the viewers at home or he’s wealthy and disconnected (and dumb and intellectually bland) enough that he’s never ordered from a pizzeria in DC and never thought to do so, or he’s throwing some contempt at the press.

It’s like that picture of Trump White House staffers drinking coors lights and natty ices to celebrate some milestone of destroying good things back in early 2017. Like even a public school staff party can shell out for some Blue Moon or whatever. This was like a look into their souls, it told you everything about them that you needed to know.

RandomBlue posted:

Who has the balls to eat Scalise's pizza?

Thread title pls.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

They can leave. The founders of whatsapp left multiple billions on the table to leave facebook 1-2 years earlier than agreed.

My general point is that in tech, specifically in software engineering, we are past the point where an employee can ignore the moral and ethical consequences of what the organization they choose to work in does.

Where you work matters, what they do matters. Software engineers who don't work at facebook aren't starving. they're not the only company hiring.

to be fair, taking billions away from facebook in exchange for 1-2 years of :effort: would also be pretty moral

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Like either scalise is actually that dumb and intellectually bland or it’s a GOP affectation for the viewers at home or he’s wealthy and disconnected (and dumb and intellectually bland) enough that he’s never ordered from a pizzeria in DC and never thought to do so, or he’s throwing some contempt at the press.

it's the latter: the pizza that they ordered for the republicans was actual pizza

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

nine-gear crow posted:

He sent love notes to the Prime Minister of Canada on magazine pages he'd ripped out and written on in gold sharpie.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

evilweasel posted:

to be fair, taking billions away from facebook in exchange for 1-2 years of :effort: would also be pretty moral

Fair and clever! unfortunately, facebook has hundreds of engineers whose sole purpose it is to make instagram and fb addictive enough to ensure that the company wouldn't even miss those billions. Those are the people I have beef with, because they could be using their time and intelligence and effort to make the world a better place, and make the same money doing so.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is this CASE Act as loving awful as I feel like it is? Because holy poo poo.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Because Fox, as TV people, know what optics are. Which means they knew how bad this could potentially end up looking. Especially if the idiots stood around for a bit with their thumbs up their butt then got rejected and the normal work continued delayed by only an hour or two. So they don't show the thing, at least not in real time, in order to avoid placing a narrative on their channel that a bunch of congressmen humiliated themselves.

They'll probably bring it up later once they figure out how to spin it and get their stories straight, making sure not to mention how quickly testimony reopened as if nothing had happened.

I think Fox is just waiting for talking points (aka marching orders) from the White House.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

I think Fox is just waiting for talking points (aka marching orders) from the White House.

Or the other way around.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Charliegrs posted:

That too, but when the idiots on your side are doing something especially idiotic (like taking cellphones into a SCIF), sometimes it's better to gloss over/ignore it until you can trot out McCarthy to give a good ole' "boys will be boys...you know when they get that syrup in 'em they get all antsy in the pantsy"

Like this!
https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1187063967673438210

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/bradmossesq/status/1187115203294629889?s=21 lmao

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
lol you remember all the awesome videos of people being cuffed and pulled out pof loving wheelchairs when they protested to save their lives? Like literally yanking people away from medical equipment.

Meanwhile these shitheads brought snacks because they knew they'd be there a long time and they remember something about "sit ins" and "lunch"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Caption This: