Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

gamer confession: I don't think I've been hooked by an arcade-style game for longer than an hour or two

Check out blackbird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

gamer confession: I don't think I've been hooked by an arcade-style game for longer than an hour or two

:same:

I get bored of them extremely quickly

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

homeless snail posted:

its based on a true story, and its a genuinely good drama. but also it leans real hard into "look dad I bought you a Sony Playstation 4, you can use this Sony Dualshock 4 to play Square Enix's Final Fantasy 14, you know just like how we used to play Final Fantasy 1". they don't half rear end it though, there's some really good scenes that play out with in game footage, including this whole training sequence that ticks all the boxes of what a ff14 player would expect a ff14 training sequence to look like. like even down to visiting the semi obscure side NPC that you talked to to upgrade your gear during the time that the show takes place in

I freaking love advertainment.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

Have you played SmashTV?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Jay Rust posted:

The esports show will have a young actor say something like “We should DPS the raid target to mid, and noscope the streamer carrying the flag across the IP address,” and the boomer main character will go like “Whaaa??”

Reminds me of the 100% authentic hacker dialogue in one of the Elusive Target missions in Hitman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WM8v0Rwd8c&t=250s

Hitman is very good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi

I am very tired

How are teh rest of you doing

Probably not gonna respond back no offense because chances are i'm gonna pass out right after this post but with some last coherency pre-passout i wanted to at least try to make a post because I want people to know I still care enough to ask even if I can't respond back

if I dont respond back remember that I still read your response and am grateful for you taking the time to respond backs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you played SmashTV?

no but my brain is completely incapable of handling twinstick controls, I'm so bad at them that I'm incapable of having fun with them

I had to quit Bastion because I couldn't process the controls, that's how bad I am at it

Real hurthling! posted:

Check out blackbird

The thing I meant by arcade-y was less the fast-paced twitchy action (though those games rarely appeal to me it isn't never) but rather the kinds of games like tetris (which is what I was thinking of when I posted that since it just got mentioned) that just sorta keep going and get harder and harder until you eventually die. This is only a subgenre of arcade-style games obviously but that's what I was referring to. It's hard to tell but it doesn't look like Blackbird falls within that subgenre

Weirdly despite roguelikes being basically the same thing for dozens of hours until you get good enough to actually win, I did get seriously into dungeon crawl a few years back

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Kanfy posted:

Reminds me of the 100% authentic hacker dialogue in one of the Elusive Target missions in Hitman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WM8v0Rwd8c&t=250s

Hitman is very good.

The only authentic thing here is all the drinking

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh no, not eSports lmfao.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

I had to quit Bastion because I couldn't process the controls, that's how bad I am at it

Do you have it on PC? I think mouse & keys work better than a gamepad.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hwurmp posted:

Do you have it on PC? I think mouse & keys work better than a gamepad.

the control scheme that broke my brain was the kb+m control scheme where you aim with the cursor

e: also the isometric view made me constantly roll off edges. I am probably the worst bastion player in the world, to the point where I got frustrated and quit a game that shouldn't be that hard for someone who plays as many games as me

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i've been playing digimon cyber sleuth since it came out on switch last week and i'm enjoying it a lot. its cool how much info the game gives you about each digimon, their digivolution requirements and what moves each digimon will learn and at what level. makes it really easy to plan ahead. right now i'm rolling with lillymon, silphymon, megakabuterimon, ladydevimon, and megaseadramon

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sharrrk posted:

i've been playing digimon cyber sleuth since it came out on switch last week and i'm enjoying it a lot. its cool how much info the game gives you about each digimon, their digivolution requirements and what moves each digimon will learn and at what level. makes it really easy to plan ahead. right now i'm rolling with lillymon, silphymon, megakabuterimon, ladydevimon, and megaseadramon

I just made a team of all the mega versions of the Digimon from Tamers when I played it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

no but my brain is completely incapable of handling twinstick controls, I'm so bad at them that I'm incapable of having fun with them

Bummer :( can you play console FPS games with twin stick?

What about like, Luftrausers? That's a pretty great arcade game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

Bummer :( can you play console FPS games with twin stick?[/spoiler]

I struggled through nier automata while thoroughly not enjoying the hacking

[quote]
What about like, Luftrausers? That's a pretty great arcade game.

Maybe

Ultimately I'm not gonna go out of my way to try to redeem a genre that I know I don't enjoy though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The arcadey puzzle games that have really grabbed me were Tetris/Tetris Attack/Dr Mario/Meteos/Mr Driller if that counts

Lumines is fun too but one game takes too long. There was also a net yaroze game called super bub that me and a friend used to play a lot

I'd probably like puyo puyo a lot if I wasn't too lazy to learn the patterns

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This one is okay to do because the esports community is embarrassing. What I would really like to see is for HBO to do one in the same style as Silicon Valley.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snooze Cruise posted:

but you do hate poor people?

I specifically hate poor white people, we are the worst.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The rich ones are no good. Liquidate them

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Help Im Alive posted:

The arcadey puzzle games that have really grabbed me were Tetris/Tetris Attack/Dr Mario/Meteos/Mr Driller if that counts

Lumines is fun too but one game takes too long. There was also a net yaroze game called super bub that me and a friend used to play a lot

Man I'd love to get into Puyo Puyo. Max chain I've ever gotten was 5 :negative:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

As if middle class white people are any good either

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
What's a middle class?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
gently caress people in general, but especially whoever is reading this

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All I'm saying is that General Sherman did nothing wrong.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Samuringa posted:

gently caress people in general, but especially whoever is reading this

fair enough

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What's a middle class?

Not much, what's a middle class with you?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What's a middle class?

You’re middle class, no matter what you do for a living or how much you make or what the median income is in your neighbourhood!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

tetris attack is so good, i wish nintendo would give it more love. and games

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
What the hell is "stan" and "stanning"? Where did this suddenly come from?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi

I am very tired

How are teh rest of you doing

hi :wave:

i got very little sleep last night cause my stomach hurt, but today i got flowers from work for Texas Paralegals Day and i'm not even technically a paralegal so that was nice

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

paraparalegal paradise

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Baller Time posted:

It's been a thing for a while. Basically a super-fan of someone/something to the point of obsession and defending its faults to the death. Comes from that Eminem song by the same name.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Baller Time posted:

It came from the Eminem song and it’s supposed to mean “dangerously obsessed fan” even though everyone uses it to mean “really enthusiastic fan”

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Baller Time posted:

it's a portmanteau of stalker fan that people use in a tongue in cheek way to say they really like something

it's me I'm a helpful boy!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Baller Time posted:

sir, this is a wendy's retirement home because you are an old

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
does it still have a drive thru

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Relax Or DIE posted:

yeah baby *said like austin powers, this is a reference for the old i was replying to above earlier

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I'm not old! 😎 😱🥵🎐

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

don't try to drive at your age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

not only am I gonna drive but when I get to the grocery store I'm gonna take up the entire aisle because in my 90 years I never learned how to shop