Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

edit-- Would Monster Squad fit for the monster mash challenge? I mean, they're all... vaguely humanoid monsters, but very obviously monsters nonetheless.

Am I overthinking this?

Yes to both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
But like, Waxwork wouldn't count, because they're all just made of wax.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I've come to really respect Lon Chaney Jr.'s work but I still find it kinda ridiculous that he was like the go-to monster guy for Universal to the point that he played Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, Wolfman AND the Mummy.

Sounds like contract bullshit and he was also battling alcoholism. Apparently, Universal would only have him under contract if he took his father's name when he wanted to go by his real name (Creighton).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

I've only seen House of the Dead, and it's fascinating with how bad it is. Just a lot of bizarre choices.

House of the Dead is his most watchable movie, too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

:spooky: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7: Monster Mash-up :spooky:

#51: Godzilla: The Planet Eater

A good conclusion to the trilogy, but the weakest movie of the three.

I liked the take on Ghidorah, at first. The three heads are just the appendages of a god from another universe, and they're shredding space and time as they enter our universe, that was great. The sequence of Ghidorah destroying the ship was great. But after that they get a lot more tame, and it's basically just a very lackluster fight. The other dimension stuff stopped being cosmic horror and became just the reason why nobody could hurt Ghidorah. After the really unique takes they'd done with Mothra and Mecha Godzilla, that was disappointing.

The plan was real dumb because it was the exact same thing as the last movie! Destroy Godzilla at the cost of everything else, what will Haruo choose? It was pretty drat unlikely he was going to choose to destroy everything in the second movie, so trying to make hay out of him grappling with the choice in this one was pretty bad. The fact that that came in a dream sequence monologue that felt like it lasted half an hour didn't improve anything.

But I did like the end. The Planet Eater did bring the trilogy to a very satisfying conclusion

So that's my final take. Godzilla: Planet Eater isn't a great movie, but it does a cool thing and manged to stick the landing for the trilogy.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Random Stranger posted:

*Pfft*

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

:siren: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7: Monster Mash-up :siren:

25. The Midnight Hour (1985)

This challenge was really difficult for me because I’ve seen a lot of the easy, more available picks, and I’ve been trying to avoid spending money on rentals or sitting through lovely looking CGI-fests. But just when I thought I’d have to subject myself to whatever the hell a whalewolf is, I stumbled over this one on YouTube.

The Midnight Hour is a mid-80s TV movie with LeVar Burton, Dick Van Patten, and a handful of other mildly recognizable television actors. It starts out with an aggressively wholesome scene of the local paperboy (played by Macaulay Culkin) riding around to show us how Norman Rockwell this town is. We see the milkman, the church, the police station, and a group of boy scouts raising a flag in the town square before the kid tosses a paper over the cemetery fence for the grave digger. Then we meet Phil, a teenager who presents a school report on how his ancestor was a minister that hung his slave for witchcraft after stopping a curse that she put on the town. Oh, and Phil also helpfully announces to the class that this enslaved witch, Lucinda, was the ancestor of his friend Melissa, and boy does Melissa seem thrilled to have that fun fact about her family history brought up in that context. Despite being all "someone from my family owned and murdered someone from that girl's family," Phil is not the class jerk. He's the shy guy hero.

Once school’s out, Phil, his crush Mary, Melissa, some jock, and cool New Yorker LaVar Burton break into the town’s witchcraft museum to swipe some costumes for the big party. They find a weird old scroll in there, so of course they take that to the graveyard and Melissa reads it out loud. Right after they leave, the graveyard erupts with monsters that spend the rest of the night overrunning the town. Most of the creatures look like run-of-the-mill zombies, including a dead serial killer and a featured zombie in great makeup who shows up at the party and seems happy to just hang out with the kids. There’s also a werewolf and some kind of demonic elf, whose actor does a really good job emoting beneath all the latex he’s wearing. Lucinda, who was given a shockingly nice headstone for an evil witch, crawls out of her grave as a vampire, and in the middle of all of this is a pretty blonde cheerleader.

The monsters spread through the town transforming everyone they attack into new werewolves, vampires, and zombies while the teenagers throw a big dance party in Melissa’s family’s mansion. Phil never manages to let Mary know he likes her, but that doesn’t matter much after he meets Sandy, the graveyard cheerleader who guides him through fighting off all the monsters he and his friends unleashed.

There are so many fun little elements in this one. It references other horror movies without overdoing that, and both the monster makeups and everyone’s Halloween costumes are great. There also are some really interesting scenes, like Lucinda’s wine cellar attack or the part where the monsters romp around downtown in a way that mirrors the start of the movie. I was a little worried that since the monsters all came from the same spell they wouldn’t seem different enough, but the movie makes a point of having some individual little touches, like using silver-tipped bullets on the werewolf and having the vampires stalk and bite some victims. It’s obvious early on that Sandy is a ghost brought back by the spell, but I loved that the ending establishes that she’s more specifically a hitchhiking ghost from those old urban legends. And have I mentioned the soundtrack yet? It’s got CCR, Three Dog Night, The Smiths, and some other recognizable stuff, often introduced by Wolfman Jack, who appears as the voice of a local radio DJ. There’s even an original song for a choreographed monster dance scene.

The biggest real drawback is the pacing. There’s too much setup, which means that nobody who hasn’t been jumped by a monster notices anything weird going on until an hour in. After that, the made-for-tv runtime only gives Phil and Sandy a half hour to figure things out and gather everything they need to reverse the spell. If that first hour had focused more on building up a story arc instead of teen angst + partying, I feel like this would be more of a Halloween cult classic. But I'm guessing it's still dozens of times better than Sharktopus vs. Whalewolf.

Watched: 1. Burn, Witch, Burn (1962); 2. TerrorVision (1986); 3. Evilspeak (1981) - Challenge #1; 4. Blood on Satan’s Claw (1971); 5. The City of the Dead (1960); 6. The Witches (1966); 7. The Crimson Cult (1968); 8. A Return to Salem’s Lot (1987) - Challenge #2; 9. Next of Kin (1982); 10. The Ritual (2017); 11. Def by Temptation (1990) - Challenge #3; 12. Halloween III (1982); 13. House by the Cemetery (1981); 14. The Dorm That Dripped Blood (1982); 15. Phenomena (1985); 16. Color Me Blood Red (1965) - Challenge #4; 17. Girls With Balls (2018); 18. Tarot (2009) - Challenge #5; 19. Jug Face (2013); 20. Wake Wood (2009); 21. Happy Death Day (2017); 22. Poltergeist II (1986) - Challenge #6; 23. Wolfman’s Got Nards (2018); 24. Spookies (1986); 25. The Midnight Hour (1985) - Challenge #7

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

Whew, I really need to get writing and posting about all the movies I've been watching!

#11: Next of Kin, 1982

I found this movie difficult to follow for most of the runtime, possibly because I was also trying to keep up with the scream stream chat. Characters show up with little to no introduction, and their relationships to the main character are never explained. There are few spooks along the way, and the points with actual suspense are cut short by how nonplussed the main character is. Thankfully the movie picks up in the third act and there is an interesting twist at the end, but I don’t think I’ll be revisiting this any time soon.

:spooky: :spooky: / 5

#12: Zombi (aka Zombi 2), 1979

I have a vivid memory of sitting in a German bar in Seattle where the scene where a zombie fights a naked scuba diver, then a shark was playing. I felt like I experienced a lot of culture that night. Finally, I got to see this bizarre movie. Learning more about the production in the Scream Stream chat was also fascinating. If Fulci didn’t have permits to shoot in NYC, how did they get the helicopter shots of the boat right by wall street, and the shots of tons of zombies crossing the Brooklyn Bridge?

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: / 5

#13:The Ruins,

Like most people who have posted about The Ruins before, I also thought this was going to be much lower quality than it ended up being. The characters were naive and annoying from the get-go, so I started off rooting for them to die, but by the end the film managed to make me somewhat more emotionally attached to them. Some really gnarly body horror here, and the scene where the plants were mimicking the one girl in unison was very unsettling. One thing that came to mind that I couldn’t stop thinking about : After being stuck up on the temple for a few hours, at least one person in the group would have had to use the bathroom, which means they were DEFINITELY wiping with those plants before they knew how dangerous they were. Clearly you’re not going to show the obvious consequences of that in this film, but speaking of body horror…

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: .5 / 5

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Vuelven (Aka Tigers Are Not Afraid)
Shudder

Vuelven is a magical realist movie that follows the exploits of a gang of children who’ve been orphaned by the drug war as they struggle to survive and avenge their late parents.

There’s too much going on with the fantasy elements of this movie that lead to it feeling unfocused. It begins by introducing this fairy tale motif, which it sort of half-commits to by introducing elements like a “castle” and giving the protagonist three monkey’s paw-style wishes, but this is not given much attention in the script. The protagonist can also see and speak with the souls of the dead, but this feels underutilized as well. Focusing on one of these two elements and making it more significant would have yielded a stronger film.

To its credit, the movie looks gorgeous. Visually, everything pops and the effects work, while not the best I’ve ever seen, is utilized in ways that smartly hide its flaws.

Spanish is not my first language, and I hesitate to critique acting when I’m not a fluent speaker, but I can tell that the child actors aren’t totally selling things here, especially when it comes to moments of comedy. Part of that is the script, though. If there were more comedic moments in the script overall, it may have felt more convincing.

Also, the cursed wishes thing didn’t make much sense. Why were they cursed? Did her teacher secretly have a grudge agains her? Given that she explicitly knew they were cursed, why did she then basically kill Shine herself by wishing his facial burns would be gone?

This is just a weird movie. The fantastic elements and the fact that it stars children makes me think they stayed their hands a little with the horror elements and brutality, but because it’s dealing with narco terror and human trafficking, that makes it feel kind of empty. Notably, in the section where the protagonist slides down a ventilation shaft and finds where the the traficantes have been storing the bodies of their victims, it would have made sense for her to find her mother’s real, physical corpse- this would be a completion of her character arc and a moment of emotional resonance right before the climax. But instead, she sees the spirit version of her mother, which she’s been seeing in various places all along, and it’s ambiguous as to whether they’re actually her remains or not.

This movie’s alright, but it wouldn’t take much reworking to make it much better.

3/5

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Etuni posted:

One thing that came to mind that I couldn’t stop thinking about : After being stuck up on the temple for a few hours, at least one person in the group would have had to use the bathroom, which means they were DEFINITELY wiping with those plants before they knew how dangerous they were. Clearly you’re not going to show the obvious consequences of that in this film, but speaking of body horror…

from what I remember, the book does not hold back in addressing that situation

e: or at least, it discusses the having to use the bathroom thing, I can't remember if the wiping thing happens. I think one of the characters gets sick from the ice they have back at the hotel and, uh, you know

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 23, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

I've only seen House of the Dead, and it's fascinating with how bad it is. Just a lot of bizarre choices.

I'm still utterly perplexed by that like 20 minute sequence that's just the camera spinning around people. I have no idea what the gently caress Boll was thinking but a bunch of people had to have been like "yeah, this is awesome." Why?

Random Stranger posted:

Dear God.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Random Stranger posted:

I can see where you're coming from but there are two things you need to consider.

First, Godzilla fights monsters that come from other movies. Mothra and Rodan are the obvious two. So that right there gives it a Freddy vs. Jason thing.

Second, Godzilla sometimes fights things that are radically different from him. Yeah, another giant, fire breathing reptile might be kind of the same, but a giant oil squid is pretty different even if they're about the same height.

Trying to split hairs on which Godzilla movies count and which don't would just be silly.

I'm not just saying this because a Godzilla movie I've wanted to watch forever is what I've got ready to go for Saturday...

Also kaiju flicks have a close overlap with creature features such as Roger Corman or Ray Harryhausen stuff. Often they were dubbed and double-billed with such American productions. I mention this because just the other day I reviewed a giant wasp movie that was a drive-in feature alongside a Toho production.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I'm still utterly perplexed by that like 20 minute sequence that's just the camera spinning around people. I have no idea what the gently caress Boll was thinking but a bunch of people had to have been like "yeah, this is awesome." Why?

In the commentary track on the DVD (why have I listened to this?) Boll explains that the dolly and track for the rotating camera shot were the most expensive thing in the movie, so they just used it as much as possible. :allears:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

Eh, I'd say Bloodrayne and Sanctimony are both more watchable than HotD.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#138) Wish Upon (2017)
Dollar Tree Blu-ray, unrated director's cut (one minute longer than the theatrical). Mean girls pick on our main character (Clare, played by Joey King) at school, she gets a Chinese puzzle box that grants wishes, and every time a wish comes true, someone close to her dies.

For a PG-13 horror flick, it wasn't bad. It's obviously a twist on The Monkey's Paw, but high school'd up, and told from an young woman's perspective. Maybe the weirdest thing in this is seeing Ryan Philippe in the role of the dad. Sydney Park is lots of fun as one of Clare's closest friends, and everyone else is good in their roles too. The actor playing the guy Clare has a crush on looks like he's in his thirties (and Ki Hong Lee actually was, despite playing a character in the same grade), but he's the only weak point I can recall.

I'm always a little on edge around garbage disposal units, and this movie has an effectively tense scene with one, until it goes nonsensical. If you have waist-length hair, you gotta secure that poo poo in the kitchen. Sucks that Sherilyn Fenn is in it for such a short time. Even better than the GD scene, it has a couple featuring a guy wailing on a sax, something I'm always happy to see in a horror movie. I get why people were making GBS threads on this at the time of its release, but taken for what it is, a teen horror movie, it's better than a lot of other modern offerings in that realm. Well, above average, at least. I'd take this over The Nun or another Annabelle any day. And it's about as close to a Wishmaster reboot as we're going to get, I'd imagine. Bonus points for no happy ending.

:spooky: rating: 6/10

"What's funny is that you're smegma. But, like, ultimate smegma."

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
:spooky::siren:SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #9: Hackers:siren::spooky:
:awesomelon: Watch a horror movie you haven't seen about CYBERSPACE/computers/haunted technology/etc.

I hit 31! :confuoot:

Not quite the movie I wanted to cross the threshold with, but what can you do?

#31: Unfriended (2015)

I avoided this thing and its sequel because I thought it was a stupid gimmick that couldn't possibly be interesting enough to carry a whole movie. Turns out I was half right; it IS a stupid gimmick, but it wasn't as terrible as I expected it to be. It's not very good, but it's not a complete piece of poo poo either.

A bunch of annoying millennial high school kids are in a Skype call when weird poo poo starts happening. The entire movie takes place from the perspective of the main girl's computer screen, so the gimmick is that there are no real camera shots, just the things being displayed on a laptop screen. One of their old "friends" killed herself a year prior due to cyber bullying, and it appears that her ghost has hacked everyone's computers and forces them to stay on the Skype call and play games that reveal information about how each of these teenagers is a horrible, lovely person. It's creative, I'll give it that. It manages to mix up various forms of social media platforms to dole out contextual information as needed, which is something different, but it made following parts of it annoying because I had to pause the movie and read various pieces of text to make sure I wasn't missing something important. In hindsight that wasn't necessary, there really isn't anything interesting in the margins that the characters don't put right in front of your face anyway.

I didn't know if this was a story about a vengeful hacker or an actual ghost for most of the first half of the movie, but nope it's a ghost. They each get possessed one by one and forced to off themselves in fairly grotesque ways while the others watch. The girl who swallows a hot hair curler was a good one. The very tail end of the movie can gently caress right off though, it's a stupid jump scare that is so hackneyed and overdone in modern horror movies these days, and I just rolled my eyes as it rolled to credits.

I'll give it points for trying, but this isn't very good and it isn't very bad. It's right down the middle for me. Watch it if you want to be annoyed by bratty teenage assholes for an hour and a half. Byyeeeeee.

2.5/5

Watched: Midsommar; One Cut of the Dead; Apostle; Wolf Creek; Lake Mungo; Viy (Challenge #1); Demon Knight; Witchfinder General; Razorback; Joker; A Quiet Place; Spider Baby, or the Maddest Story Ever Told (Challenge #2); Hereditary; The First Purge (Challenge #3); Killer Condom; Road Games; Next of Kin; Zombie aka Zombi 2; Suspiria (1977) (Challenge #4); Phantom of the Paradise; In Her Skin; Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon; Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead; Troll Hunter aka Trollhunter (Challenge #5); The Tunnel; Profondo Rossa aka Deep Red; Body Melt; Suspiria (2018) (Challenge #6); Sadako vs. Kayako (Challenge #7); Black Christmas (Challenge #8); Unfriended (Challenge #9)
Total: 31

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen Unfriended, but I did see Unfriended: Dark Web, and it was really fun. It's generally considered better than the original, too. It has to be more paranoid. :tinfoil:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The two Unfriended movies are dramatically different. There's issues with the first one like everyone being utterly unlikable but mostly the problem is that it takes the idea of "ghost on the internet, watched from a laptop" as straight forward as possible so like half the movie's run time is you watching people dick around on their computer. The sequel is just a story that would have worked on its own that just uses the computer/internet as a storytelling tool. So not only is the story just better but the gimmick is just a flourish instead of a crutch.

But seriously, all the characters in Unfriended are total assholes who kind of deserve it and the whole movie is just watching them be annoying or play with tabs on their computer screens.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

HOUSE, HOME and/or ROOM OF HORROR

DON'T WEEK continues!
Don't Open the Door...
Don't Go in the House...

26) Don't Look in the Attic (1981) - watched on Tubi
Trailer

A young lady and her two male cousins inherit a haunted villa in Turin, Italy. While they squabble over the ownership of the house, they begin to experience strange phenomena. Turns out they're the seventh cursed generation of their family and something in the house is waiting for them - ain't that always the way?

Originally released as La villa delle anime maledette (House of the Damned), this is a cheapo Italian haunted house movie. It should have been called "Don't Go to the Villa" because that's the message the heroine hears like 50 times in the first 15 minutes of the movie, and she promptly goes there anyway. Her male cousins aren't much better - one is there with his girlfriend and he keeps talking about marrying his cousin so they get sole ownership of the house. There's also a subplot involving intrigue at a law firm, where the main partner reads all the will stuff to the cousins about the house. It's pretty nonsensical, the picture quality is poor, and the dub is really bad. I love when foreign movies use jungle animal noises to represent standard outside ambient noise. There are actors playing multiple characters; the supernatural elements are barely there (and when they are, stuff just moves around and a red light glows). The titular attic is there for two minutes in the film, and they don't even really show what horrible secret the girl learns. And then the movie ends with two separate rape attempts on our heroine (Italian cinema!), where we learn the horrible secret the main law firm partner is the devil and he's impregnated each generation's woman with his next child. The real horrible secret of this movie is it's just plain bad, and not even the good kind of bad.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I hit my goal (13) but will still keep going.

12: The Witch - This was good. I liked that throughout the movie, as the family is being torn apart, it remains ambiguous what forces are at play, and it would still be a complete movie without any supernatural scenes. Overall good stuff, and I liked that it really fits the witch legends/records - a string of unfortunate/unexplained events leading a people to turn on eachother and lash out towards any scapegoat they can by declaring them a witch. .
:spooky: 3.5/5

13: Hereditary - There's a lot in common between this and The Witch. The first 2/3rds or so were strong, and the movie stood on its own without anything supernatural at play. However, unlike the witch, the last third of the movie goes a hard turn into supernatural/possession/summoning side of things. It's definitely a strong movie, but the ending felt a bit rushed, and the first half was mostly detached from the second half - it could have taken 10 different turns and still worked and the whole thing suffered a bit from all the mysteries being a bit overexplained.
:spooky: 3/5

Also rewatched The Cell. It's a somewhat mediocre movie whenever its in the real world, but the dream sequences are beautiful and absolutely carry the movie.
:spooky: dream scenes 4.5/5, the rest of the movie 2.5/5
Goals - 13/13 - 1: K-12 2: Gozu 3: The Wailing 4: Phantom of the Paradise5:Viy 6: One Cut of the Dead 7: Happiness of the Katakuris 8: Little Monsters 9: Shadow of the Vampire 10: Bone Tomahawk 11:Ichi the Killer 12:The Witch 13:
Rewatches - Event Horizon, In the Mouth of Madness, The Cell

Lhet fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 23, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really want to rewatch the second half of Hereditary because it was so bugshit insane and I was so completely emotionally and mentally exhausted by that point that I'm not sure I really processed all of it. But I don't think I ever want to put myself through the anguish of the first half of the film again.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

STAC Goat posted:

I really want to rewatch the second half of Hereditary because it was so bugshit insane and I was so completely emotionally and mentally exhausted by that point that I'm not sure I really processed all of it. But I don't think I ever want to put myself through the anguish of the first half of the film again.

I kinda feel like the second half, though pretty wild, has just been done better by other movies - it's the first half putting you in that exhausted state that makes things extra shocking.

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

gey muckle mowser posted:

from what I remember, the book does not hold back in addressing that situation

Ha, glad(?) to hear it. The film definitely made me want to read the book, I’ll have to check it out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Etuni posted:

Ha, glad(?) to hear it. The film definitely made me want to read the book, I’ll have to check it out.

I snagged a copy at a thrift store for $1.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

:spooky: SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #8: Happy Holidays! :spooky:

#52: Red Christmas

I went to the Netflix horror section and scrolled until I saw one with a holiday in the title

I need to come up with a better way to vet these loving movies

It starts with an abortion clinic bombing, which at least sets the tone well. The thing is, I genuinely don't think the movie is trying to be pro forced birth, If it was it wouldn't have made the killer so gross looking. It's just trying to be edgy. I don't know if that's worse, but it's certainly not any better. It's definitely terrible and unpleasant to sit through.

All that aside, the movie is intentionally unlikable characters dying in gory ways.

The only positive things I can say is that the actress who plays the mom does a much better job than the movie deserves, and the whole unpleasant business is done in under 90 minutes.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 24, 2019

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Gripweed posted:

I went to the Netflix horror section and scrolled until I saw one with a holiday in the title

I need to come up with a better way to vet these loving movies

make a Letterboxd account, follow other goons, and see what they rated the movies before deciding on them. There’s a thread for it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796360

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mid week review time.

54. Return to Nuke ‘Em High Volume 1
THE SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #6: Sometimes They Come Back

An organic farm has been built over the previously disaster prone nuclear waste plant. To increase sales they have nearby Nuke ‘Em High serve up the food grown there. This time the nuclear waste causes the nerds to become goth-jocks. Really a step down from what happens in the previous movies. When it comes to Troma movies, I’ve only seen the Nuke ‘Em High series and I liked the first two well enough. This one looks better than the others due to having modern equipment but everything else is rather lackluster. I probably would have loved this movie when I was 13 thanks to its extra low brow humor.

55. Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

A legendary music producer is opening a new club and overhears the perfect music to use, a rock opera version of the story of Faust. Being in the music industry, he decides to steal it. After the artist goes mad and wrecks his face, they end up signing a contract that is obviously one sided. Phantom of the (Rock) Opera is a great idea and I’m glad Brian De Palma made it work. Very worth seeing.

56. Return of the Killer Tomatoes (1988)

John Astin is a mad scientist who is defying the tomato ban by turning tomatoes into people. The one he created to have sex with escapes and ends up being rescued by George Clooney and Tony Starke. Not quite as funny as the first but pretty close. Great all around and a magnificent mullet on Clooney.

57. Memory: The Origins of Alien (Theater) (2019)

Another making of documentary about Alien. Mostly focused on Dan O’Bannon’s story on how the concept and the people came together to make it. Wraps up quickly after the chestburster scene as that’s where O’Bannon’s initial draft ended. It shows off a lot of sketches and notes provided by Dan’s widow and has some nice interviews with her talking about watching Dan try to pull the movie together. Not too technical of a documentary but worth your time if you really like Alien. Also the theater were handing out prints of the poster so that was nice.

58. Monster Squad (1987)
THE SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #7: Monster Mash-up

Dracula and his minions Frankenstein’s Monster, Wolfman and Gillman invade a small town while a plucky group of kids have to figure out how to defeat them. Even as a kid I don’t think I would’ve enjoyed this as much as some people seem to. At least the monsters are fun.

1. Killer Workout (1987) 2. Ænigma (1987) 3. Killer Fish (1979) 4. Rear Window (Theater) (1954) 5. House on Haunted Hill (1959) 6. Nail Gun Massacre (1985) 7. Paranorman (2012) 8. Night of the Comet (1984) 9. Corpse Bride (2005) 10. 13 Ghosts (1960) 11. Vampyr (German) (1932) #1 12. Amuck (Italian) (1972) 13. Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951) 14. Fascination (French) (1979) 15. Lake of Dracula (Japanese) (1971) 16. Sorority House Massacre (1986) 17. Prophecy (1979) 18. Sorority Massacre 2 (1990) 19. Leviathan (1989) 20. Night of the Lepus (1972) 21. Puppet Master (1989) 22. Ice Cream Man (1995) 23. Return of the Living Dead 2 (1988) 24. The Giant Claw (1957) 25. One Cut of the Dead (Japanese) (Theater) (2017) 26. Return of the Living Dead 3 (1993) 27. Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis (2005) 28. Spider Baby (1967) #2 29. Dollman (1991) 30. The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960) 31. The Addams Family (Theater) (2019) 32. Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave (2005) 33. Ganja & Hess (1973) #3 34. Arcade (1993) 35. Terrorvision (1986) 36. I, Frankenstein (2014) 37. Drácula (Spanish) (Theater) (1931) 38. The Snake Woman (1961) 39. The Bat (1959) 40. Witchfinder General (1968) 41. Homicidal (1961) 42. In the Mouth of Madness (1994) 43. Caltiki, the Immortal Monster (Italian) (1959) 44. House of Wax (1953) #4 45. Q: The Winged Serpent (1982) 46. Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988) 47. Mr. Sardonicus (1961) 48. Prince of Darkness (1987) 49. The Fog (1980) 50. Piranha 3DD (2012) 51. Rawhead Rex (1986) 52. Viy (1967) #5 53. Psycho Shark (2009) 54. Return to Nuke ‘Em High Volume 1 #6 55. Phantom of the Paradise (1974) 56. Return of the Killer Tomatoes (1988) 57. Memory: The Origins of Alien (Theater) (2019) 58. Monster Squad (1987) #7

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#139) Get Out (2017)
Rewatch with partner, who hadn't seen it before. I don't really have to cover this movie's plot for anyone participating in this thread, do I?

Still such an uncomfortably and unrelentingly tense viewing experience. Coming back to it after the first watch really makes all the lies and manipulation stand out, in a good way. There's very few moments in this that don't make my skin crawl. I had to get up and walk around during the smoke break scene, to work off some of the anxiety. Watching this brings back memories of being a kid and wondering why someone would willingly play a Nazi in a movie. Deep respect for the movie sitting down the audience and explaining, with cut-away illustrations, how the process works, and managing to keep it interesting instead of deflating the mystery with didactics.

Kinda wanna see a cut that has no scenes with Rod that don't have him talking on the phone to Chris or Rose, just to see how the tension would hold with that limited perspective. First time catching that in addition to eating Froot Loops separate from the milk, Rose also uses Bing. No end to the depravity.

So glad they went with the theatrical ending, I can't imagine how pissed and cheated audiences would have felt if the alternate had rolled at the finish. One of the absolute best directorial debuts out there.

:spooky: rating: 9/10

"poo poo ain't fair, man." "Oh, you got that right. poo poo ain't fair."

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Does Night of the Comet actually count for the challenge even though it’s only barely Christmas related?

I’m glad to have watched it either way, just wondering.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

TheBizzness posted:

Does Night of the Comet actually count for the challenge even though it’s only barely Christmas related?

I’m glad to have watched it either way, just wondering.

It takes place in the christmas season and is full of garland and christmas trees, it counts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

make a Letterboxd account, follow other goons, and see what they rated the movies before deciding on them. There’s a thread for it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796360

The problem is I know I can't trust goon opinions because I've seen people, in this very thread no less, speak ill of Jason X.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

quote:

#18: Scooby Doo: Camp Scare

Nice animation in this one, first off. All the chase scenes were well executed and fun. The actual mystery itself was pretty good, not something where you can guess until late in the movie when you have all the information, but also didn’t feel pulled out of the rear end. I did the summer camp thing at that age and so all of the camp (lol) was resonant for me. That said a camp counselor as villainous as described here is essentially your standard camp counselor. Also living not far from a town that is at the bottom of a lake made this one particularly grounded and yet fantastical. Good movie, good animation and setup, good fun—with maybe more violence and suggestive violence than in previous ones I’d seen.

“High in the mountains, deep in the spruce, on the shore of the lake: it’s camp Little Moose! Little Moose! Little Moose! Liiiiiittle Moooose!

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

quote:

#19: Carrie

Another classic I’ve never seen, but have heard about and known about for a loooong time. I actually never even knew anything about the telekinesis aspect until I got ready to watch it. Thank you to all who insisted I keep it on my list this year. Man though, what a horrifying and sad opening scene. Those kids…jeez. Painfully true to life though. And then here comes Piper Laurie? And later John Travolta? I didn’t expect to see them in here, since I’ve only seen Piper Laurie when she was on Twin Peaks.
My read of the movie while going through it was very sad. Maybe more sad than scary, very tense though. Like a sympathetic monster movie where the monster was created by violence and fundamentalist Christianity instead of nuclear waste. I’m glad Carrie got her mom though. . Just beautiful scenes, really well shot and all that…and that final scene :stare:

“Plug it up! Plug it up! Plug it up!” :(

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

quote:

#20: Mother!

It’s clearly a movie that people either loved or hated for the most part. I loved it, and somehow managed to avoid any spoilers except that it alienated some audiences. After looking at some other reviews of it, I can see that the basic themes and allegories were even mentioned at the outset of release by the director. I don’t think they were heavy handed so much as so basic that you maybe weren’t supposed to be trying to put some mystery together in the first place. It all started to click in the final third. I took some (very) loose viewing notes while watching and I think that it summarizes my response pretty well as I watched:
Notes: Kinda reminded of Fire Walk With Me for some reason…some peer pressure about having children…and…loving yikes…Panic Attack the dreamlogic Painting…oh gently caress OH GOD. Ringing audio hallucinations…walls beating like hearts, floors dilate and bleed. Now…epiphany! A cosmic orgasm…Her becoming pregnant fills me with dread…Reaching psychedelic horror, like a rainbow banded by every shade and color of fear. Riots and police beatings, juntas and detention centers, concentration camps…colonialism and capitalism…disfigured our home and our connections. Contractions shatter the house…the diminishing return of compromising with fascism. AHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHH NO GOD NO….oh…its over…
Having written the above lines last night, I woke up this morning with the movie still in my head. Hulu was behaving like a real poo poo last night and as such the quality of the video wasn’t actually very good I now realize. Going to buy this on blu ray and watch it again after I finish up this month. Really good, probably my favorite movie I’ve reviewed for the challenge.

“I gave you everything! And you gave it all away…”

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

Watched: 20/31
1.The Fog, 2. Evil Bong, 3. The Silence, 4. Death Ship, 5. Cannibal Women and the Avocado Jungle of Death, 6. Scream, 7. Who Can Kill a Child, 8. The Seventh Curse, 9. Killer Condom, 10. Zombie, 11. Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island, 12. C.H.U.D., 13. Satan's Slaves, 14. Scooby Doo: Mask of the Blue Falcon, 15. Deep Red, 16. Cementerio del Terror, 17. End of the Wicked, 18. Scooby Doo: Camp Scare, 19. Carrie, 20. mother!
Samhain Challenges:
#5: Satan's Slaves

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

The problem is I know I can't trust goon opinions because I've seen people, in this very thread no less, speak ill of Jason X.

Looking at goon reviews now, and the average rating is three stars, which I think is pretty fair for Jason X. That’s what I have it rated.

No one should watch Red Christmas, by the way. Just ugly hateful conservative bullshit.

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

26. Nightmare Weekend (1986)
:spooky:Challenge #9: Hackers:spooky:

Woof.
An evil computer that's also a puppet shoots pinballs that makes teens horny and die (they were already horny and dying). A girl plays a videogame with a car and it makes a real car crash and this is never mentioned again. Everyone's voices are dubbed over by different people. A woman makes out with a spider. A gratuitious rape scene that's never mentioned again involves a character who calls himself "pinball wizard". Nothing happens somehow.

This was on Tubi, a little over an hour, and met the requirements of the challenge. Troma!

1/5 :psylon:

(If you haven't seen the original Pulse or The Den, use them for this, please.)

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #9: Hackers
26)Friend Request
Netflix

"She would just stare at the computer for hours, nothing on the screen at all. Just her own reflection in the dark."
First the good: There's some cool shots and transitions.Think the facebook equivalent of those comic book panels from Ang Lee's hulk. And the first act or so could have been a decent teen thriller about a weird facebook stalker, and those uncomfortable people who share way too much.

Then the spooky haunted facebook code comes in to play and it keeps posting death vids on the main characters account. So she starts to lose friends, even though it's clearly not her, and when she calls facebook for customer support, they basically shrug at her over the phone. To be fair though given Zuck's performance today at congress, that's the most believable part of this whole mess. The movie gets progressively dumber so angsty weirdo goth girl befriends our main character and is weird and stalkery, main character unfriends her on facebook, so goth girl who it turns out is a sort of cyber witch, kills herself in a magic ritual in front of her laptop so she can post her suicide vid on the main character's facebook causing her to lose facebook friends, and then kill her real friends with a combination of wasps and suicide. Because the cyber witch wants to make the main character as lonely as she is.

So they have to find the magic laptop or whatever to break the spell, but the dude who has a crush on her tries to kill her before the witch gets him because "She can't make you lonely if you're dead!" Ultimately the cyber witch wins and possesses our main girl and goes to a new college to try and make friends all over again.

It's really dumb, though I feel if it was given to someone more competent you could make a decent spooky facebook ghost movie. This just isn't it.

:spooky:.5/5

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Peacoffee posted:

#20: Mother!

After looking at some other reviews of it, I can see that the basic themes and allegories were even mentioned at the outset of release by the director. I don’t think they were heavy handed so much as so basic that you maybe weren’t supposed to be trying to put some mystery together in the first place.

Yeah I remember people saying that they “figured it out” early on and therefore thought it was too heavy handed. It’s not a puzzle to be solved, and it’s hardly even allegory - it’s literally a retelling of the Bible story from the perspective of Mother Earth.

I loved it too, I should give it another watch soon.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Dr. Puppykicker posted:

Woof.

I was going to watch this for the challenge :negative:

I might still watch it :ssh:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Dr. Puppykicker posted:

Woof.
An evil computer that's also a puppet shoots pinballs that makes teens horny and die (they were already horny and dying). A girl plays a videogame with a car and it makes a real car crash and this is never mentioned again. Everyone's voices are dubbed over by different people. A woman makes out with a spider. A gratuitious rape scene that's never mentioned again involves a character who calls himself "pinball wizard". Nothing happens somehow.

This was on Tubi, a little over an hour, and met the requirements of the challenge. Troma!

other than the rape part, your description makes it sound awesome

and yeah Pulse owns and would be perfect for the challenge

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

other than the rape part, your description makes it sound awesome

I respect its purity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Y’know, I’m trying not to blow a ton of money and stick to free streaming content for the challenge, but the super samhain challenges can make it tough. I was caught between paying for Van Helsing (2004) for Monster Mash or Videodrome for Hackers.

Now, I remembered that Van Helsing was really panned when it came out, so I went to check out Rotten Tomatoes.

With praise like that, how can I go wrong?

For my fellow freegans, Pulse is free with ads on YouTube.