Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is Krenko better than rabblemaster or legion warboss?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

A big flaming stink posted:

why aren't the goblin lists playing krenko? sure his tokens aren't hasty but being able to poo poo out 2-6 goblins per turn has to be worth something, right?
He doesn't have haste and has to attack, making him more vulnerable to spot removal compared to Legion Warboss and Goblin Rabblemaster.

He'd might see play, but he's got stiff competition and his upside compared to those two is slower.

Edit: Krenko's tokens aren't attacking, either.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 23, 2019

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mat Cauthon posted:

Seems like it would fold pretty hard to Witch's Vengeance though?

Tribal aggro in a nutshell. :shrug:

Count Bleck posted:

I think WotC is actively trying to make sure Merfolk is never a deck again in any format.

The cutoff for Pioneer is Return to Ravnica. Master of the Pearl Trident was in Core Set 2013. A single set off the cutoff point.

:negative:

M13 is also the last set to have Rancor.

:negative:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Seeing Kenji win games with a slightly modified version of the M19 Mono Blue Outcome deck makes me happy. I loved playing that deck.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Legit upset at how historic is being handled and honestly feel outright lied to, I just don’t know what I was thinking.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Koirhor posted:

Legit upset at how historic is being handled and honestly feel outright lied to, I just don’t know what I was thinking.

Isn’t historic exactly what they said it was going to be? A format to play with your arena cards that have rotated? What did they lie about?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I would have expected a bit more out of Wizards in terms of formats that let you use your old cards like Pauper. Even Brawl is standard only lol.

But basically Historic is completely sidelined in the system, I don't think they could have done a better job of getting people to avoid the format if they'd tried.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think people were expecting an actual format, and not just a fig-leaf "you can technically use your old cards, in games that don't matter for anything at all".

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Yeah people clearly expected a real (if marginal) format and Wizards is treating it like a meme format somewhere between Momir and Block Constructed.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Trip report - Jeskai Ascendancy in Pioneer feels good and much more powerful than what I'm playing against, though I'm probably 20 to 30 cards off the optimal build. There's a chance a Rally deck is better positioned, though of course such a deck would have to compete with Grafdigger's Cage, Rest in Peace and Tormod's Crypt being in the format.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hellsau posted:

Trip report - Jeskai Ascendancy in Pioneer feels good and much more powerful than what I'm playing against, though I'm probably 20 to 30 cards off the optimal build. There's a chance a Rally deck is better positioned, though of course such a deck would have to compete with Grafdigger's Cage, Rest in Peace and Tormod's Crypt being in the format.

Care to share your list, or a link to it?

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Trip report, a Bogle-less hexproof deck still makes people unreasonably angry in Pioneer.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

another loser posted:

Trip report, a Bogle-less hexproof deck still makes people unreasonably angry in Pioneer.
:hmmyes:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Big Bogles is my go-to whenever they do a Pauper event on arena.

I think my standbys have rotated though. Looks like next time it's Wardscale Crocodile an Humongulus.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Give *clap* Paradise *clap* Druid *clap* vigilance

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

another loser posted:

Gladecover Scout is still legal, right? So you get one set of bogles.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

On the topic of early pioneer decks, Gabriel Nassif is playing a UW deck with a few planeswalkers in it.

edit: Appears to be 3-1 so far, with only losing to Jeskai Copy Cat apparently.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

ungulateman posted:

Gladecover Scout is still legal, right? So you get one set of bogles.

Ya and so is Ethereal Armor. It's a bit clunky, but Gladecover Scout, into Bassara Tower Archer and Witchstalker.

Aqueous Form + Curious Obsession is fun.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

to put it in much simpler terms, the entire concept of historic was floated by wizards as a way to appease people about their concerns about what happens to the resources they've invested once they rotate, so wizards said "a ha we have a solution don't worry at all!" except their solution isn't supported. so they've basically completely misled people about what happens to their collections once standard rotates and have no interest in addressing it again. they've successfully navigated away from a genuine concern about the MTGA economy as well as support of any eternal formats and all they've done is gone 'lol'

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Has there been anyone testing mono blue devotion yet? Legit hoping it's good, I love blue tempo decks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

another loser posted:

List please.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Owlbear Camus posted:

Big Bogles is my go-to whenever they do a Pauper event on arena.

I think my standbys have rotated though. Looks like next time it's Wardscale Crocodile an Humongulus.

I'm glad that All That Glitters is an uncommon. Pauper boggles was annoying to deal with.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Framboise posted:

Has there been anyone testing mono blue devotion yet? Legit hoping it's good, I love blue tempo decks.

Gaby Spartz went 4-1 with it on stream earlier, I wasn't watching so I didn't see the list but I can try to grab a vod screencap.

e:

Niton fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 24, 2019

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tubgoat posted:

Not gonna lie, I allowed myself to believe Pioneer could've been fun. But then I was made aware that the entirety of Spirits is legal minus a couple of the lands. :stonkhat:

It’s extremely weird how scared you are of this tier 2 modern deck lmao

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mezzanon posted:

It’s extremely weird how scared you are of this tier 2 modern deck lmao
It's weird how anyone ever lost to Splinter Twin on the scale that required banning it from modern pre-T3feri but welp! :shepface:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Niton posted:

Gaby Spartz went 4-1 with it on stream earlier, I wasn't watching so I didn't see the list but I can try to grab a vod screencap.

e:

Sweeeeeeeet. :getin:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

to put it in much simpler terms, the entire concept of historic was floated by wizards as a way to appease people about their concerns about what happens to the resources they've invested once they rotate, so wizards said "a ha we have a solution don't worry at all!" except their solution isn't supported. so they've basically completely misled people about what happens to their collections once standard rotates and have no interest in addressing it again. they've successfully navigated away from a genuine concern about the MTGA economy as well as support of any eternal formats and all they've done is gone 'lol'

They announced ranked queues are coming in December. What else are you looking for?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rabidsquid posted:

for those of you who keep track of the general community, can you tell me if people are legitimately excited to play pioneer, or a shitload of people are hoping to go mtg finance? i guess the in between of 'get to play a format and not be priced out of it' but i guess my primary question is ignoring price points does the format actually excite people

I had a buddy of mine who mostly does finance get hard for playing this format yesterday. I also had multiple other people I know start brewing decks immediately. It's cheaper modern that more people have the cards for, so I can imagine it's going to be at least somewhat popular. The only reason there aren't local events right now is that nobody has all the stuff for their decks together yet.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Sickening posted:

List please.

Really janky starting point https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2413018#paper

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MikeCrotch posted:

Give *clap* Paradise *clap* Druid *clap* vigilance

There are surprisingly few good auras that do that in Pioneer.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rabidsquid posted:

Didn't they say before rotation that November was the "official" launch of Historic, and that was when they were going to add the robust support?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Didn't they say before rotation that November was the "official" launch of Historic, and that was when they were going to add the robust support?

They are going to run the first event in November then in December they will turn on the ranked queue.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Niton posted:

e:

62 cards?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Framboise posted:

Sweeeeeeeet. :getin:

Wild that there’s no master of waves. Feels like that’s the better 4 drop

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tainen posted:

They are going to run the first event in November then in December they will turn on the ranked queue.

Yeah, like.. as someone with a real good M19/Ixalan/Dom collection, this is a fine timeline to me

Edit: I still think if Pioneer is at all successful, they will backfill those sets and change Historic to Pioneer on Arena.

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 24, 2019

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tubgoat posted:

It's weird how anyone ever lost to Splinter Twin on the scale that required banning it from modern pre-T3feri but welp! :shepface:

When splinter twin was legal I played bogles with 3x suppression field in the main and almost never lost to splinter twin.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Fabled Passage took quite a price jump since Monday. Depending on how the popularity of Pioneer holds it might not come very far back down? Tracking close to T3feri right now near $18.

Related:

https://twitter.com/TolarianCollege/status/1187134408836276224

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

62 and 13 in the board, I didn't realize she was mid-boarding.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Niton posted:

62 and 13 in the board, I didn't realize she was mid-boarding.

I was wondering why there was a maindeck Aether Gust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Is this your Signal the Rats? Your sword and shield of choice for shitposting?