Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So, that very enthusiastic to vote stat posted earlier

IIRC December 2015 was 20% D, 38% R and the actual vote percentage was 48% to 46%, with Dems winning the national vote by 2%. So, a 20% swing.

So, if that were the same in 2020, a 53% D, 56% R stat would imply a Democratic landslide, like 57% to 40%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1187150899145334784?s=20

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I don't think those things scale linearly. A 6-7% margin Nationwide would be a Wipeout (and I think well within the realm of possibility)

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

cival war

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Doesn't the law say that if you destroy evidence, the jury has to be instructed to treat it as if it was as damning as possible? They shot themselves in the foot.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dubar posted:

To be fair, pizza toppings is about as divisive a topic as any in politics

I ride and die for the Dominoes Steak and Shrimp pizza they serve in Korea. :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Captan America: Cival War

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

KillHour posted:

Doesn't the law say that if you destroy evidence, the jury has to be instructed to treat it as if it was as damning as possible? They shot themselves in the foot.

What do you think the odds are whatever they did to that poor person was worse than whatever the rest of us assume/imagine?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Remember her? Did we talk about this?

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1187062539663925248?s=19

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Why are republican politics such a loving shitshow?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Was it ever disclosed how these ~30 Republicans actually got to enter the room? I can't imagine a SCIF in the capitol building is just sitting unlocked while the testimony is going on in-front of committee members.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Imagine being white, not homeless looking and actually getting busted for shoplifting lol

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, that very enthusiastic to vote stat posted earlier

IIRC December 2015 was 20% D, 38% R and the actual vote percentage was 48% to 46%, with Dems winning the national vote by 2%. So, a 20% swing.

So, if that were the same in 2020, a 53% D, 56% R stat would imply a Democratic landslide, like 57% to 40%.

Now yes, but that was also a reasonable prediction between the access Hollywood tape and Comey reopening the Clinton case. A lot can happen in a year.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zotix posted:

Was it ever disclosed how these ~30 Republicans actually got to enter the room? I can't imagine a SCIF in the capitol building is just sitting unlocked while the testimony is going on in-front of committee members.

The whole building is secured against unauthorized intruders from outside, it’s not secured against congresspeople deciding to flagrantly violate their own rules.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zotix posted:

Very likely one of the twelve that are supposed to be there opened the door.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

oxsnard posted:

Imagine being white, not homeless looking and actually getting busted for shoplifting lol

But is it really a crime to steal $2,300 worth of merchandise from Target to feed your starving family?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

And the real funny part is most stores don’t give a poo poo out shoplifting unless you’re stealing thousands of dollars or just reeeeeeeeally stupid.

Moral of this story is plan your shoplifting better.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 24, 2019

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

It was mentioned briefly earlier today.

Ice Phisherman posted:

What it seems to be coming down to (at least, in my perspective) is that it's difficult to find people who are willing to seriously run in support of the GOP. It's become a very fine line to walk if you're not in the alt-right scene, with the perception being that angering the president and his supporters will equate to a death sentence, but following him too closely might get you in serious trouble over something you might not really believe in.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think we're seeing a large amount of younger Republicans who aren't connected to the establishment in some way running. I know about Joey Saladino, this woman is another, and I think Scott Walker's son was tentatively planning a run? We're not seeing as many people like Lee Carter, McKayla Wilkes, Jessica Cisneros, etc. running for the GOP, and I think it's because they realize it's a losing proposition. It's wild - despite all of these retirements in the House, it doesn't seem like there's a whole ton of passion for people to throw their own hats in the ring.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Zotix posted:

Young Freud posted:

Very likely one of the twelve that are supposed to be there opened the door.

Basically yeah. A secure room will have some kind of badge access or lock, but lots of different committees would probably use that room for different things. Plus the 12 that could have been present since they were on the correct committees anyway.

Basically it's an "insider threat" kind of situation - you can't really guard against deliberate sabotage by someone that has a genuine need for access.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

So if little Billy can get on League of Legends and say "Imma shoot my school lol" and get arrested for "terroristic threats", this guy surely can for this, right? Right?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

paperwind posted:

But is it really a crime to steal $2,300 worth of merchandise from Target to feed your starving family?

To feed your starving cat family.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Public_Citizen/status/1187011442224091137?s=20

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

It's like the start of Shadowrun with none of the cool parts

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dammerung posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think we're seeing a large amount of younger Republicans who aren't connected to the establishment in some way running. I know about Joey Saladino, this woman is another, and I think Scott Walker's son was tentatively planning a run? We're not seeing as many people like Lee Carter, McKayla Wilkes, Jessica Cisneros, etc. running for the GOP, and I think it's because they realize it's a losing proposition. It's wild - despite all of these retirements in the House, it doesn't seem like there's a whole ton of passion for people to throw their own hats in the ring.

Yeah, I noticed this.

My pet idea is that the republicans have completely written off the house and the white house, hoping that they can do what they did during the Obama years. Obstruct their way back into power, because it worked. Only this time they do whatever they can to hold onto the senate to preserve their party to keep from being legislated out of existence by anti-election fraud measures. To stay viable as a rump party, basically and wait for their moment.

My guess is that they're going to glom onto climate rhetoric in the ugliest way possible. They'll hard switch from climate denial to "Fortress America", play on fears of the other and attempt to pull the country full isolationist/fascist, or at least that'll be the rhetoric as poo poo gets worse.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

It's like the start of Shadowrun with none of the cool parts

Speaking of Shadowrun, I write a CYOA on these forums in the Shadowrun universe. I used to write professionally. So if you enjoy cyberpunk, maybe come and take a look.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835049

It's got the cool parts. :v:

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 24, 2019

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can someone tell me what exactly the point of Facebook's internet money is? What is the worst case scenario with it?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

cr0y posted:

Can someone tell me what exactly the point of Facebook's internet money is? What is the worst case scenario with it?

The point is to steal real money and give it to facebook. A corporation should not be running a currency.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Omar's district is really, really blue, like D+20,which means that its going to be hard to recruit strong challengers. Why run into that headwind when you can run for state office which is far more favorable? Grifters abhor a vacuum so a pretty young woman who wears a big cross and touts the GOP line is going to at least get initial interest and a shot at the money spigot.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

cr0y posted:

Can't wait for loot boxes to come to Facebook.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

cr0y posted:

It's COMPANY SCRIPT.

Look up the history of this.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

cr0y posted:

There are about a billion people "un-banked or under-banked", including 14 million in the US, and I think the idea is to be able to let them have these kinds of electronic financial services.

edit - Worst case scenario is beyond my understanding.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

VideoGameVet posted:

It's COMPANY SCRIPT.

Look up the history of this.

my dude median salary at fb is like >200k

of all the stupid loving things wrong with libra ~*~think of the poor employees~*~ is the worst possible take lol

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

oxsnard posted:

Well, she didn't get shot for it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bucky Fullminster posted:

There are about a billion people "un-banked or under-banked", including 14 million in the US, and I think the idea is to be able to let them have these kinds of electronic financial services.

these people already have access to mobile banking via local telecoms and internet banks and stuff

facebook is looking at this growing market, and the fact that they are likely to be present on an unbanked person's phone also, and trying to elbow in in that

zuckerberg is using the kind of uplifting, unifying rhetoric that is necessary for tech ogliarchs to mask their true intentions but really it's about trying to consolidate a patchwork market of billions of poor people's banking needs because that syngergizes pretty well with facebook's extant social platform. and there's a LOT you can do if you own an unregulated global currency

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Good news everyone!

Thread:

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

cr0y posted:

As someone replied already but here's a link: https://www.newsweek.com/company-money-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-trillbillies-amazon-1442246

Here's an embedded tweet from her with a video that explains things pretty well: https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1136091060311134210

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

So if little Billy can get on League of Legends and say "Imma shoot my school lol" and get arrested for "terroristic threats", this guy surely can for this, right? Right?

what did you learn about rule of law earlier today.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

luxury handset posted:

these people already have access to mobile banking via local telecoms and internet banks and stuff

facebook is looking at this growing market, and the fact that they are likely to be present on an unbanked person's phone also, and trying to elbow in in that

Yeah, think M-Pesa with a global market and global transfers. Thats probably the goal.

VideoGameVet posted:

It's COMPANY SCRIPT.

AFAIK they haven't said anything about paying FB employees in Libra.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

luxury handset posted:

zuckerberg is using the kind of uplifting, unifying rhetoric that is necessary for tech ogliarchs to mask their true intentions but really it's about trying to consolidate a patchwork market of billions of poor people's banking needs because that syngergizes pretty well with facebook's extant social platform. and there's a LOT you can do if you own an unregulated global currency

it's sort of like paypal but not fooling around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
They aren’t gonna pay the coders in Libra, they’ll pay the content creators and marketplace vendors in it as well as make a venmo type direct pay system. They’re just gonna try to make a whole economy out of a currency they control.

It’s a gonna fail because Facebook is going to collapse.