Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
So work with me here. Jean is being weird. Charles is and has always been a dick. Charles is not an omega telepath but Jean is. Charles contacts Jean very early in life, pretty close to when her X-gene manifests. Charles would, in theory, need access to omega level telepathy to be able to constantly be running backups for all the mutants ever. Is it possible Charles in his dickishness essentially coopted most of Jean's powers to run this scheme, in a manner similar to sealing off part of her powers in the past/other media?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Dreqqus posted:

So work with me here. Jean is being weird. Charles is and has always been a dick. Charles is not an omega telepath but Jean is. Charles contacts Jean very early in life, pretty close to when her X-gene manifests. Charles would, in theory, need access to omega level telepathy to be able to constantly be running backups for all the mutants ever. Is it possible Charles in his dickishness essentially coopted most of Jean's powers to run this scheme, in a manner similar to sealing off part of her powers in the past/other media?

This certainly sounds plausible. If this was before he was wearing Cerebro as a hat*, Jean might had to have been "managed" in a way that other telepaths, whom he met later, did not have to so that she didn't know their whole plan. Jean being weaker in space might therefore be due to the distance from Charles, who has siphoned her powers but lends her them back on Earth missions, potentially. This would explain why Jean is still so important to the X-Men so as to be on the council, despite having a lesser showing on the one mission that we saw her on so far.

*Which could have happened off-panel between stories etc. Or Xavier has been wearing the helmet and altering everyone's - including ours - perceptions the whole time. :ohdear:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Good interview about new Wolverine book

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1186326641250844673?s=20

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gonna be honest, my reaction to reading that interview was "so, it's a wolverine solo book"

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The mention of X-23 and family (including the Summers) was the only thing that stood out to me, mostly because I'm a huge X-23 fan. Would be surprised if it's not just an issue, or arc if we're lucky, though.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I’m now assuming that every x-man has like 3 separate houses and what we saw was wolverine’s summer house (heh)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought about Warlock and he's not even human and isnt coming back is he? :smith:

wait is he even still dead

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Synthbuttrange posted:

I thought about Warlock and he's not even human and isnt coming back is he? :smith:

wait is he even still dead

He is combined with Doug

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
But not combined like they were at Doug's funeral. Yeesh, that was a bleak issue.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Mauraders is off to a decent start but I'm not sold on the character lineup other than Kitty Kate and Emma as a support character.

Also, isn't it kinda wrong to have a pirate x-men story and not have Nightcrawler? Dude's probably pissed that he wasn't invited.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Laughing Zealot posted:

Mauraders is off to a decent start but I'm not sold on the character lineup other than Kitty Kate and Emma as a support character.

Also, isn't it kinda wrong to have a pirate x-men story and not have Nightcrawler? Dude's probably pissed that he wasn't invited.

Yeah, Kate & Lockheed are a lot of fun but the rest seem to be making up the numbers in the early going (Bishop obviously has an investigation going on at least). I hope there's a lot of Emma Frost, but Duggan is clearly having a whale of a time - especially that "Top Men" exchange with Kate and Bobby - and the premise is really strong so I hope the others grow into it. Fantastic art from Lolli, and it was really entertaining to read so hopefully Pyro's resurrection feelings and the rumour about the 2 choices before Kate provides meat for stories.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I realize I'm at least 10 years out of date but I hate that Bishop is an active X-Man after the Hope stuff.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Really liked Storm and Kitty Kate in Marauders #1. This is the first time in a while I've seen Ororo written well. Long may it continue!

Weird little bit of foreshadowing in Emma, at the start of the issue, saying that Kitty never kicked someone in the ribs while they were down just because they deserved it, and then she goes and does exactly that by the end. I wonder if that has any deeper meaning than "Kitty is a little grittier now"?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I do hope though that the comic actually rolls with them hanging out on a boat, as in, it takes time getting around. The way this issue handled it they might as well have teleported.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Not knowing much beyond the cast, I expected this to be a series I dropped after a couple issues. After this I'm definitely into it. Also hoping for more boat travel scenes. One thing I miss from the Claremont stuff is all the downtime scenes with characters in normal clothing just bopping about. Maybe more downtime stuff will scratch that itch.

I agree I'm not sold on the full cast yet, seems like a sort of random assortment but I'll wait to see how they're written to interact.

Side note: have we seen colossus yet? I was wondering where he was at and couldn't remember if he'd shown up in hox/pox or the dawn stuff.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Side note: have we seen colossus yet? I was wondering where he was at and couldn't remember if he'd shown up in hox/pox or the dawn stuff.

He briefly appeared at the very beginning planting a krakoa seed I think. Not much else.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Marauders was great. I knew Duggan wouldn't disappoint me. Pyro could very likely become my favorite X-Man very soon which is bizarre.

Sure, the team composition is currently "people who were within grabbing distance of each other when this plot happened" but hey that worked out great for X-Men: Red so why not here.

And I know Iceman's living on an island and he's in fact had uniforms in the past that were literally just underwear, but does he even have a wardrobe at this point? Is he just walking around everywhere like...that?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I also thought Iceman WAS ice, the scene of him covering himself in snow kinda threw me off

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

And I know Iceman's living on an island and he's in fact had uniforms in the past that were literally just underwear, but does he even have a wardrobe at this point? Is he just walking around everywhere like...that?

When every day on the island is "party Gras" or whatever, he probably fits right in.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I like the fight choreography for Kitty vs. the soldiers, although phasing a gun into two of them is one of the more borderline-lethal moves she's ever pulled.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I have to wonder though. In House of X they refused to bring a portal plant thingy on their suicide mission because humans might, like, take it and discover stuff about it.

But then...apparently there are Krakaon portals just standing about friggin' everywhere, right in the middle of busy human cities, right in the middle of strongly anti-mutant access points.

How's that supposed to work? Why wouldn't the humans just study those as well?

Sandwolf posted:

I also thought Iceman WAS ice, the scene of him covering himself in snow kinda threw me off
Yes, he's supposed to be able to go in and out of total ice form at will. I imagine the thing here was just an artistic license way to show him "icing up."

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

maybe Krakoa only has control over the portals once they're planted, and so they were worried about letting the humans get a hold of one of the seeds

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

I like the fight choreography for Kitty vs. the soldiers, although phasing a gun into two of them is one of the more borderline-lethal moves she's ever pulled.

That did raise an eyebrow. The only time I can remember her phasing stuff into people or vice versa was, like, taking on the Hulk.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There was a weird reference to "North Valnon" as a country ruled by a kleptocratic family, which is weird, because North Korea has definitely appeared in other books and there are scenes set in both Russia and Taiwan here. Has Marvel been treading lightly around NK recently or something? I'm reading a lot fewer comics than I used to.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

part of me feels like that entire fight scene was Gerry Duggan's response to every time there's a fight scene involving Kate Pryde people always ask "Well why doesn't she just x" and his response is "okay here's her doing all of the things people keep saying she should do"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rochallor posted:

There was a weird reference to "North Valnon" as a country ruled by a kleptocratic family, which is weird, because North Korea has definitely appeared in other books and there are scenes set in both Russia and Taiwan here. Has Marvel been treading lightly around NK recently or something? I'm reading a lot fewer comics than I used to.

Duggan created Valnon a few years ago when he was writing Hulk.

Edit: Actually it seems to go back at least a few more years to Deadpool.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rochallor posted:

A lot of times this is done if they're going to go deep into creating characters for the ruling party.

If you have a random racist supersoldier and some mercenaries get beat up, it's fine to just call it "Russia" or "North Korea" or whatever real country.

If you're going to do a whole plotline where the leader of a country is giving supervillain monologues and entering into a devil's bargain with [supervillain] and trying to invade other countries or whatever, that's when you go with Fake Country. That's presumably why they used Transia instead of I dunno, Turkmenistan for the X-Force series last year, and (I'm guessing) that's why Duggan is using North Valnon side by side with Russia.

Oh wait, North Valnon is the Not North Korea that Duggan used not only in his Hulk series as Aphrodite pointed out, but it was also the setting for a lengthy subplot in his Deadpool run, where the North Valnonian government was rounding up dissidents and trying to turn them into ersatz X-Men using horrible science experiments and bits of Deadpool. So that's a great example of where to use Fake Country, a story where the country's leaders are directly running torture/death camps and you have the heroes killing a ton of high ranking government officials.

I was wrong about this, there are some throwaway references to it being the same place online but it's repeatedly identified as North Korea in the Deadpool comics, unless they retcon it when they reference it at the end of the run.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 24, 2019

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Edge & Christian posted:

A lot of times this is done if they're going to go deep into creating characters for the ruling party.

If you have a random racist supersoldier and some mercenaries get beat up, it's fine to just call it "Russia" or "North Korea" or whatever real country.

If you're going to do a whole plotline where the leader of a country is giving supervillain monologues and entering into a devil's bargain with [supervillain] and trying to invade other countries or whatever, that's when you go with Fake Country. That's presumably why they used Transia instead of I dunno, Turkmenistan for the X-Force series last year, and (I'm guessing) that's why Duggan is using North Valnon side by side with Russia.

Oh wait, North Valnon is the Not North Korea that Duggan used not only in his Hulk series as Aphrodite pointed out, but it was also the setting for a lengthy subplot in his Deadpool run, where the North Valnonian government was rounding up dissidents and trying to turn them into ersatz X-Men using horrible science experiments and bits of Deadpool. So that's a great example of where to use Fake Country, a story where the country's leaders are directly running torture/death camps and you have the heroes killing a ton of high ranking government officials.

That was the exact storyline I was thinking of re. North Korea, but I guess I had forgotten they didn't use the actual NK for that. Thanks, my bad.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Unless they changed it later, I remember that was specifically North Korea in Deadpool. There's a scene where Logan knows exactly where he is after taking a couple of sniffs of the air, somehow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, everyone seems to remember it as North Korea. One of those Mandela things I guess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rochallor posted:

They've been making a move to not refer to tiny communist countries by their actual names, because of China, which is hilarious because China isn't actually a communist country any more.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, everyone seems to remember it as North Korea. One of those Mandela things I guess.

No, it's actually North Korea.

https://www.comixology.com/Deadpool-2012-2015-17/digital-comic/47467

Look at the second preview page. I remember trying to figure out what it would be about North Korea in particular that Logan could smell.

I suppose it's less incendiary to use North Korea as a villain when there's a pretty close to zero percent chance that anyone in North Korea will ever read the comic.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Best part is that's it's naming Taiwan as a proper country instead of Chinese Taipei or whatever bullshit name people have to call it to kowtow to loving China.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Also they just introduced a whole allegorical war for the Vietnam conflict that shifts in time with the story so they could make sure Frank Castle was always going to be like 35 and so that they could retcon Reed's reason for the FF mission to the US military for some stupid loving reason.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

danbanana posted:

Also they just introduced a whole allegorical war for the Vietnam conflict that shifts in time with the story so they could make sure Frank Castle was always going to be like 35 and so that they could retcon Reed's reason for the FF mission to the US military for some stupid loving reason.

I feel like that's going to end up filed in the same basket as Byrne's Spider-Man: Chapter One in the long run, just because it's easier to do the "Frank Castle fought in the [sudden outbreak of very fake coughing] War" dodge than to bother with a whole new historical era.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Wanderer posted:

I feel like that's going to end up filed in the same basket as Byrne's Spider-Man: Chapter One in the long run, just because it's easier to do the "Frank Castle fought in the [sudden outbreak of very fake coughing] War" dodge than to bother with a whole new historical era.

The whole fake southeast Asian War thing is... problematic.

I get the desire to specify this poo poo and the sliding time seems like a good solution until you do a little racism.

The better solution is to perpetually set the years the stories take place in between 1977 and 1987 and just keep culture and tech moving forward while you reset the year every once in a while.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Did you know about Tony Stark's grandkid? He's the Iron Man of the distant year, far in the future, 2020.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

danbanana posted:

The whole fake southeast Asian War thing is... problematic.

I get the desire to specify this poo poo and the sliding time seems like a good solution until you do a little racism.

The better solution is to perpetually set the years the stories take place in between 1977 and 1987 and just keep culture and tech moving forward while you reset the year every once in a while.

Just move the war to Afghanistan, someone who was 18 when we first invaded would be in their mid 30s now and we're still sending teenagers over there to die. If you need war time trauma and a sliding timescale our forever war in the middle east is loving perfect.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So is Logan's super senses a secondary mutation or just part of his primary mutation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Skwirl posted:

Just move the war to Afghanistan, someone who was 18 when we first invaded would be in their mid 30s now and we're still sending teenagers over there to die. If you need war time trauma and a sliding timescale our forever war in the middle east is loving perfect.

This is the obvious solution, yeah. Iraq's even better. It's not like we're ever going to run out of wars to plop him into.

Magneto's history with the Holocaust is a more pressing problem, but he's been de-aged multiple times and magnets something something slow the aging process.