Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
This is happening https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1187004361756565506

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sounds like the OTL show is getting dumped to either Sat or Sun morning

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Vertical Lime posted:

so here the nbc station in dallas had to apologize for not breaking into the cowboy game for tornado warnings

https://twitter.com/NBCDFW/status/1186406089467879425

I got plenty of weather warnings while watching the game? Are they saying they should have done more

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Stephen A Smith, Mike WIlbon, and Magic Johnson break down all the news and notes from around the NHL

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I got plenty of weather warnings while watching the game? Are they saying they should have done more

They're supposed to completely cut away from the game and go to live weather coverage if there is a tornado warning in the viewing area and not return to normal programming until the warning expires.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Stephen A Smith, Mike WIlbon, and Magic Johnson break down all the news and notes from around the NHL

I wish

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Game 1 of the world series got roughed up in ratings

Hollywood Reporter posted:

The first game of the World Series delivered a ratings win for Fox on Tuesday, but it fell short of last year’s opener. Regular programming on other networks was mostly unaffected, with NBC’s This Is Us and several other shows actually improving week to week.

The Washington Nationals’ 5-4 win over the Houston Astros in game one of the World Series averaged 12.19 million viewers for Fox, adjusted up from 11.58 million in the fast nationals. Tuesday’s audience is the lowest for a World Series opener since 2014 (also 12.19 million) and is off by 11 percent from last year’s 13.76 million viewers.

In Houston, the game drew a 27.7 household rating, while it delivered a 23.1 in Washington, D.C.

Awful Announcing posted:

As per Sports TV Ratings’ Robert Seidman, the final number here was 12.194 million, which puts it barely ahead of the all-time low (since 1972) of 12.191 million for Game 1 of the San Francisco Giants-Kansas City Royals series in 2014 and behind the previous next-lowest number, the 12.243 million for Game 1 of the Giants’ series against the Detroit Tigers in 2012. However, this one seemed like it would have an edge over 2014 from a market standpoint; the Nationals and Astros play in the sixth and seventh-largest U.S. markets as per Nielsen, while the Giants are in the eighth-largest and the Royals are in the 32nd-largest.

There are some potential disclaimers with the Nationals (a lot of people who live in D.C. are from other areas and are fans of other teams) and Astros (they had some poor TV ratings years ago thanks to the CSN Houston debacle), but those are maybe less notable than the Giants sharing a market with another team entirely (the Oakland A’s). So this wasn’t an easy-to-predict drop from a market standpoint, and many of the predictions compiled by Douglas Pucci at Programming Insider had this series being close to or even surpassing last year’s Red Sox-Dodgers numbers. It could still do that over the entire series, of course, but it’s not off to a good start there.

MLB’s other ratings numbers this year also don’t necessarily explain the drop. This year’s All-Star Game drew a record-low overnight rating, and the local ratings declined by four percent mid-season, but they were down just one percent by the end of the year. And TBS, Fox and ESPN all saw some national increases this year. So it’s not an obvious “baseball ratings are all down, so this is down too” story.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i'm not that surprised, houston had a recent world series win and dc had that long period without a team (plus there's probably orioles fans and various transplants who refuse to switch)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The MLS playoffs are so hysterically low-rent that they couldn't even get citi field to take the foul netting down for a playoff game

https://twitter.com/colonialbeasts/status/1187156042800652288

https://twitter.com/Jasoninho10/status/1187152021897523200

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s especially funny since the Mets haven’t played a game in 3 weeks

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

And won't play another one at Citi Field for 5 months!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
The important thing is that NYCFC lost so not only did the league look like clowns (again) but they won’t get their NY/LA matchup that they desperately want.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

like it was just clicking on this thread that i found out nyc fc played last night at citi

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
How long do they need to set up Yankee Stadium for soccer, it's not like the Yankees got eliminated two days ago

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

How long do they need to set up Yankee Stadium for soccer, it's not like the Yankees got eliminated two days ago

Might have depended on the condition of the outfield. It's tough to fit a full size soccer field in there as well, I know it already takes some doing when they play football games there every so often.

E: also possible that they moved it to Citi Field as soon as the Yankees were confirmed to make the playoffs, just to be safe.

E2: here we go

MLS posted:

All things being equal, Johnson and his teammates would prefer to be playing this game in the Bronx at Yankee Stadium, something that became impossible after the Yankees advanced to the American League Championship Series.

“From an aesthetic standpoint it's obviously a different stadium, but playing on this field with our fans in the stadium, it's going to feel like home,” Johnson said. “Obviously we trained today, gotten a good feel for the pitch. I think the pitch is in great condition going into tomorrow. We’ll approach it the same way.”

NYCFC had their one chance at a walkthrough on their temporary home pitch Tuesday morning, and the players gave the surface top marks. The size appeared to be the same as Yankee Stadium, so there should be some level of comfort, even if it’s in a different borough.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 24, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

Might have depended on the condition of the outfield. It's tough to fit a full size soccer field in there as well, I know it already takes some doing when they play football games there every so often.

Huh? It’s their home field. They play there throughout the baseball season.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

FlamingLiberal posted:

I like how the Mets have such a cursed aura that they're inadvertently loving with other sports leagues. :mets:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Huh? It’s their home field. They play there throughout the baseball season.

oh god that's right, I had it in my head they usually played elsewhere.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sounds like the OTL show is getting dumped to either Sat or Sun morning

They moved E:60 back to prime time so it’ll probably take that 9 am slot on Sundays

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/1187464778484256768

this ain't good

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm taking a college class and a sizeable number of people didn't show up last night and the instructor made a comment about the Nats being in the WS and I just thought "Yeah, I'm not sure that's it man." This is in the greater DC area for reference.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm taking a college class and a sizeable number of people didn't show up last night and the instructor made a comment about the Nats being in the WS and I just thought "Yeah, I'm not sure that's it man." This is in the greater DC area for reference.

Since there was another DC team in Texas (Wizards-Mavs), what is the likely culprit?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Island Nation posted:

Since there was another DC team in Texas (Wizards-Mavs), what is the likely culprit?

Well that wasn't really the point I was trying to make but it was the next class after midterm (so the last date to drop with a withdraw) plus traffic was more of a clusterfuck then usual plus this is a night class so a bunch of people were probably stuck at work.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Did you really think shitloads of people were going to tune in for a World Series between Houston and Washington. Hell there are still people in older major metros like New York and Los Angeles that act like Houston is a quaint little Texan outpost on the Gulf Coast.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ratings are going to fall when most of your fanbase is literally dying.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Friday nights are typically death slots for ratings too so this might get even worse.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Americans should switch to cricket.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Americans should switch to cricket.

DON'T SAY IT TOO LOUD YOU MIGHT GIVE THEM THE NEXT IDEA FOR STADIUM GRIFT

"oh no, we can't stay in our current location, we have to expand because we're changing the sport...and did we mention this is going to take more space?"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/LizHabib/status/1187812850724560896

Confirming what we already know, ESPN is country miles better than Fox Sports as a broadcast partner for MLS.

Something like 965,000 viewers if you combine the ESPN English and Spanish-language broadcasts.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/sportstvratings/status/1188533225225965569?s=21

they better thank god mahomes is hurt

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/ScottHanson/status/1188561377826181120

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahaha goddamn

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/PlaysOfTheWeek/status/1188581272911613952

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol nice

oh man this is great

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lot of excuses for baseball ratings but it boils down to no one under 40 wanting to spend 4 and a half hours watching a game.

This is so good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sony is shutting down PlayStation Vue by January 30. My next best option for sports is YouTube TV, right?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Sony is shutting down PlayStation Vue by January 30. My next best option for sports is YouTube TV, right?

This is crazy to me. I thought Vue was doing well?

e: read this article and apparently it wasn't: https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/29/20938533/sony-playstation-vue-live-tv-streaming-shutdown

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

I was just looking for my replacement. YouTube TV seems to be good, only thing I would miss is RedZone but all the local channels + espn/nbatv/nbcs stuff seems to be on youtube TV.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
From someone on another forum:

quote:

I've tried Hulu, Sling and YouTube TV. They're kinda all the same? Hulu is the best bang for your buck, though, just in terms of number of channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What's currently the cheapest way to get espn, tnt, nbatv, and local sports fox sports affiliate to get local nba team + the national games?