Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

To clarify the proper opinion to have: Aestheticians shouldn't be required to wax genitals that they are not trained to wax.

Managers shouldn't be required to hire people they aren't trained to manage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Balthesar posted:

Edmonton's core problem is that it is a gateway to the oilsands and not much else. Corporate HQ's are mostly in Calgary and, while everyone dreams of being the next big web property, the reality of tech is that it's dominated by B2B sales. You generally put your offices where your customers are.

yeah, what i'm saying is there's really nothing apparent stopping people from doing LOB apps or weird niche engineering tools, or devops consulting, or like a million other reasonably profitable tech businesses that don't require massive upfront capital or insane growth stories to attract VC. you can do them from anywhere, really

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

xtal posted:

this is a really dumb equivalence man

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

xtal posted:

Shut up

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

if they'd stopped at the third word, that would have been a quality post

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
xtal is the funny kind of "anarchist" who is against the state but seemingly quite enthusiastic for private enterprise, complete with managers who get to dictate what employees are forced to do at their jobs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ancap?

man, that's pretty low, just straight up slandering the poor guy like that

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
oh god gently caress off Christy Clark. gently caress offfffffff

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
'everyone needs to move further right because thats obviously what everyone wants' - a conservatives commentary on an election where the right wing party lost

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

infernal machines posted:

That seems really weird to me, specifically offering provincial funding of any kind to ostensibly private schools

You can go to em if you're not Catholic, but they force you to go to Mass and take religious courses

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

she is the god drat worst

even Gordon Campbell had some merits like bringing in a very successful and relatively popular carbon tax. she just hosed up constantly (those loving referendums!!) and I'm so glad she's gone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

You can go to em if you're not Catholic, but they force you to go to Mass and take religious courses

are we talking about BC "private" schools, or the publicly funded catholic schools, which BC does not have?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

DariusLikewise posted:

'everyone needs to move further right because thats obviously what everyone wants' - a conservatives commentary on an election where the right wing party lost

I agree with your point, Christy Clark needs to gently caress off forever, but let’s not pretend the party bragging about how they’ll jam pipelines through BC isn’t a right-wing party too.

She’s still an idiot.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Terror Sweat posted:

I went to two different french catholic schools in northern ontario, AMA

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I always love it when recently defeated and embarrassed politicians come out of the woodwork to chastise others for being too left (and it's always too left). If you knew what people wanted, why did lose your last election?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Reality Sinner posted:

I always love it when recently defeated and embarrassed politicians come out of the woodwork to chastise others for being too left (and it's always too left). If you knew what people wanted, why did lose your last election?

Lol yes, to a green/ndp coalition to boot. Ah that was a good day.

Harper just does his bullshit behind the scenes because he at least is self aware enough to know the public thinks he is kind of poo poo at best.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Conservatives and Centrists must be destroyed for the good of the world.

They won't be and we will all die.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/kainagata/status/1187159370846490625

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I forgot how magical this board was.

Last time I played I won by going all-in on sea cities.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xtal posted:

This read as funny to me at first, but I also started thinking about how our government has treated LGBT people in the past, and we're also currently talking about an anti-trans precedent being set by a judge in a human rights tribunal. Trans people would probably be way better off if the government removed the restrictions on how they can be treated, defunded CAMH/etc appropriately, and donated all the money to a bathtub treatment facility (or a LGBT organization that knew what they were doing.)

Did you eat lead paint at the last Tower free meal or something?

There’s nothing loving anti-trans about that decision. It’s based on the merits of the service: waxing a vulva is different from waxing a scrotum. The aestheticians weren’t trained to actually give Yaniv a genital waxing, so they couldn’t be forced to. It wasn’t decided on the basis of a facet of gender, but on the actual service being provided.

And gently caress off with this defunding poo poo. Trans people need affirmative inclusive care from trained mental health professionals, not your loving bullshit.

e: seriously if you think being a cis anarchist gives you the right to speak authoritatively about my community’s issues, you can right gently caress off.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I know literally nothing about this case but how can someone possibly be compelled to wax someone else’s body against their will? we don’t even require doctors to perform abortions if they don’t want to, they just need to give a referral

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a primate posted:

I know literally nothing about this case but how can someone possibly be compelled to wax someone else’s body against their will? we don’t even require doctors to perform abortions if they don’t want to, they just need to give a referral

If their employer ordered them to under penalty of termination

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

a primate posted:

you can't deny someone a service you would perform for someone else because of who they are (based on certain protected categories), it's part of the rules about running a business

if your business would wax a white person's scrotum then you have to also be willing to wax a black person's scrotum

but if your business wouldn't wax a non-trans scrotum then you don't have to wax a trans scrotum either

incidentally this is what the ongoing furor in the US is all about wrt religious discrimination against gay people for wedding cakes and poo poo like that, because bigots are saying they won't make cakes for gay people and anti-bigots are saying that's discrimination because they make cakes for non-gay people all the time

incidentally afaik political ideology isn't a protected category so you can still discriminate against nazis for being nazis

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/thelateempire/status/1187135191074115584?s=21

Thoth!
Apr 28, 2014
I don't understand how the gently caress so many nonessential public sector employees I meet are conservative and want to cut govt service spending.

Like I get the whole fygm thing runs deep but lol

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Mexico: bastion of stability

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

hoyl fuckin poo poo

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Albino Squirrel posted:

Living in Alberta is fun. My Facebook feed is full of people supporting separation because 'our schools have suffered with cuts under Trudeau.' Like uuuuuuhhhhhhh

I've quit opening my FB and I feel so much better off

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Thoth! posted:

I don't understand how the gently caress so many nonessential public sector employees I meet are conservative and want to cut govt service spending.

Like I get the whole fygm thing runs deep but lol

There's a lot of the usual "my taxes" stuff, which dovetails nicely with having a secure, well-paying job, better than the average.

Going a bit deeper, most public sector workers deal with people who are the target of benefit programs, and so it's easy to fall into "I'm providing this service, and have a stable situation. Why don't these people just..." mental trap.

The Liberals are seen as the party of middle managers, so if you hate your boss, you'd be likely to align with their natural enemy.

And then factor in simple fygm as you say.

ETA: There's also a fair bit of leopards eating faces stuff going on. "Government spending is wasteful. (My boss and so on are incompetent.) But *my* department is indispensable. Surely, Dear Leader will see that."

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 11:45 on Oct 24, 2019

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

I haven't laughed at one of these in ages. loving amazing.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Bilirubin posted:

I've quit opening my FB and I feel so much better off

If not for the cycling athletics camping and fishing stuff that's almost exclusively organized and advertized via Facebook I would have deleted my account years ago.

As it is I at least wish there was a way to filter out memes and bullshit reshares.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

ppc voters just have like the most broken brains

https://twitter.com/xuoriglaehr/status/1187040883520299009?s=20

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
hell yes do it

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

vyelkin posted:

you can't deny someone a service you would perform for someone else because of who they are (based on certain protected categories), it's part of the rules about running a business

if your business would wax a white person's scrotum then you have to also be willing to wax a black person's scrotum

but if your business wouldn't wax a non-trans scrotum then you don't have to wax a trans scrotum either

incidentally this is what the ongoing furor in the US is all about wrt religious discrimination against gay people for wedding cakes and poo poo like that, because bigots are saying they won't make cakes for gay people and anti-bigots are saying that's discrimination because they make cakes for non-gay people all the time

incidentally afaik political ideology isn't a protected category so you can still discriminate against nazis for being nazis

wait so the place in question waxes other scrotes? if so then yea that’s discrimination

if not then I dunno find a place that does scrotes

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Honestly, the biggest problem with this plan is that Bernier went from being the guy who was a few votes from being the leader of a major party to the guy who ran a hopeless vanity campaign. If he had been more disciplined and perhaps taken a vacation from politics while Scheer destroyed himself then Bernier could have been well positioned to mount another leadership challenge. I also think the prospect of a hard right libertarian inflected and anti-PC version of the Conservative Party could achieve a lot of its goals if it forged an alliance with the Bloc, provided they could get elected in the first place. That's (kind of) how we ended up with free trade with America: most of English Canada, in particular the churches and unions and academia, were against free trade, as was most of the English speaking public. Mulroney lost a lot of seats but retained his majority thanks in large part to a strong showing in Quebec, which gave him the mandate necessary to push through free trade. Effectively, French nationalists, Bay Street execs and western populists worked together to force an unpopular and transformative policy change that, for various reasons, each faction though would benefit them in particular.

For the moment the risk is muted but if Quebec and the prairies ever find a way to work together a lot of weird poo poo could go down. Which is why it's super important to keep an environmentalist wedge driven inbetween those groups, and why in some ways it might be to the long term benefit of the country to have Albertans ranting and raving in their current unhinged fashion. If anything we should foment their hatred of Quebec (and vice versa), it may be the best long term insurance policy we have.

tl;dr Laurentian Canada should take a page from our forebearers and keep the colonials safely divided through mutual animosity, least they combine against us

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I don’t see Québec working with Alberta. The way Albertans cry about transfer payments going to lazy Québécois for the last decade has not gone unnoticed.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

There's also the fact that we *really* don't like pipelines.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Yeah they hate the French lol.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Frond posted:

Yeah they hate the French lol.

ARACHTION posted:

I don’t see Québec working with Alberta. The way Albertans cry about transfer payments going to lazy Québécois for the last decade has not gone unnoticed.

SpacePope posted:

There's also the fact that we *really* don't like pipelines.

Yeah this is literally why the Liberals are the "natural governing party" and held government for a combined total of roughly 68 years of the 20th century. To win the Conservatives had to somehow get their potential supporters in the prairies, Ontario and Quebec to all work together. On several noteworthy occasions the Conservatives were able to win majority government's with this coalition, but in each case after a few cycles the stark differences between regions made the governing coalition untenable and the Liberals swept back into power. Mulroney was the last time this happened.

Harper came into office trying to court Quebec on the belief that they were the only way to get a Conservative majority government, but after his repeated overtures failed he was able to chart a new path by winning big among New Canadian voters who had traditionally voted Liberal. The Conservatives loved this because unlike the Quebecois the New Canadian vote is perceived as making virtually no demands - as far as the Conservatives were concerned New Canadian voters just want the local MP to show up at cultural festivities and kiss babies while raking in the same cheap labour and tax credit focused policies that every other Canadian suburbanite loves - but so far they've only been able to win once on that coalition.

So yes, getting the prairies and Quebec to work together is a tall order, and you should be glad for it, because that's the largest structural barrier to a more conservative government and God help us if the conservatives ever find a viable long term way to thread that particular needle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Just as Singh's muslimness hurt him in the east, Bernier's wrong kind of old stock hurt him out here in the west