Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Redczar posted:

Are we all such cynics that we don’t believe the governments explanation of this?

They’re just sharing menthalatum lmao

Este igual lo encontré chistoso:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Temaukel posted:

Este igual lo encontré chistoso:

Lol that's obviously fake, everyone knows they've got their own supply

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pochoclo posted:

everyone knows they've got their own supply
:hmmyes:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Is there a good summary on what's happening in Chile?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/cattycouth/status/1186488935368790018

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

mila kunis posted:

Is there a good summary on what's happening in Chile?

This article is a pretty good overview in English of the long-term background and more short-term measures taken

How Economic Concentration and Crony Capitalism Led to the Chaos in Chile

Redczar fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 22, 2019

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

El Chingon posted:

The governor doesn't have control of the guardia nacional or army forces, which you can clearly see on videos taken by people, and the federal government owned up to the operation.

Thanks for the heads-up. It's fun to speculate, but in things like this where new details come up, it can be easy to miss stuff.

I still don't think it's an AMLO personal gently caress-up, if only because his style so far of governing has been "slow and steady" instead of the old style of "look at this impressive poo poo we did that is just a drop in the bucket!".

I do believe that not trying to press further on keeping the Chapo's son was the right call, because it's easy to say that you should risk urban warfare in a city where people can't take cover.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Situation in Bolivia seems to be escalating

https://twitter.com/noticiasmiled/status/1186997650446573570

https://twitter.com/edisonburbanoCM/status/1186997851068469249

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

The government was (almost certainly) torturing people in the closed subway station of Baquedano.
National Institute of Human Rights Investigates Claims of Torture in Baquedano (Spanish)

Coincidentally, after the suspicion became news, the cops went to “clean the rubble to help open the station”

https://twitter.com/carabdechile/status/1186894275495321601?s=21

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
here's hoping the bolivian right wing coup attempt eats poo poo even harder than the one in venezuela

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
18 Muertos Y Las Protestas No Ceden

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The defense minister of Chile apparently smirked when an opposition congresswomen started showing pics of dead protestors :stare:

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Are the measures recently announced out by the government (pensions, etc) having any effect on the protests?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

RottenK posted:

here's hoping the bolivian right wing coup attempt eats poo poo even harder than the one in venezuela

Oh poo poo, is Maduro gone?!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
man I kinda like Morales but on a cursory look the numbers do seem like they might be hinky

is there, like, a recount and auditing protocol or something

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

man I kinda like Morales but on a cursory look the numbers do seem like they might be hinky

is there, like, a recount and auditing protocol or something

Given the protestors against morales are going around and burning ballot boxes he absolutely legitimately won.

It’s like the VZ opposition not wanting election observers; no one does that poo poo if they think they won.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Freezer posted:

Are the measures recently announced out by the government (pensions, etc) having any effect on the protests?

Yes: they are getting larger, lol.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

uninterrupted posted:

Given the protestors against morales are going around and burning ballot boxes he absolutely legitimately won.

It’s like the VZ opposition not wanting election observers; no one does that poo poo if they think they won.

the situations are not equivalent but good point it doesn't look great for the Bolivian protesters

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, burning the ballot boxes is :psyduck: I don't like the idea of Morales going for a fourth term because someone staying in power for that long is never healthy for a democracy, but the behavior of the opposition is just baffling.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Azran posted:

Yeah, burning the ballot boxes is :psyduck: I don't like the idea of Morales going for a fourth term because someone staying in power for that long is never healthy for a democracy, but the behavior of the opposition is just baffling.

its not baffling if you remember that they want a right wing coup

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Morales is burning ballot boxes?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Morales is burning ballot boxes?

The right wingers are

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The issue in Bolivia isn't whether Morales won, he probably did and did receive more votes than the other guy, who by the way is from a party called something like the "leftist revolutionary front" (though names can remain and issues change, and the party is running as part of an overall "centrist" opposition coalition).

The issue is that in addition to the controversy leading up to him seeking a fourth term in general, Bolivia seems to require that in a presidential election like this you go to a second round between the two most popular choices unless one of them won by more than 10%.

There were still votes left to be counted and Morales was leading by about 7-8 points, which is good but not enough to not have the second round of voting. Then Morales proclaims victory and says he is sure that the remaining uncounted votes will put him more than 10 points ahead, then instead of slowly trickling in the remaining uncounted votes remained unannonced for a couple of days until they were all added at once and put Morales 10+ points up. And that poo poo is mighty loving suspicious.

As for why they are burning the ballot boxes, I couldn't say, but I guess it's just kind of irrational anger targetting electoral centers because that is what people are angry at.

e: I don't know where people are getting the right-wing coup narrative from, because the issue seems to be really loving clear in that what you have are demonstrations triggered by what appears to be electoral fraud (or if it wasn't then it was just idiocy and nervousness over the possible results which results in the counts of the last votes being held back, which then results in it all looking suspiciously like some kind of tampering has been done or at the very least considered) to avoid a second round of elections in what was a much closer election than Morales probably would have liked.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 24, 2019

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Also, please remember that Morales couldn't run for president again according to Bolivia's constitution, so he called a referendum, which he lost, so he sued and Bolivia's supreme Court sentenced that running for president is a basic human right and he cannot be impeded by silly things like the constitution.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

zocio posted:

Also, please remember that Morales couldn't run for president again according to Bolivia's constitution, so he called a referendum, which he lost, so he sued and Bolivia's supreme Court sentenced that running for president is a basic human right and he cannot be impeded by silly things like the constitution.

Seriously. I dunno how you can look at this and be like "hmm, this Morales guy seems alright."

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Power corrupts after about 10-12 years. Morales might have been good one time, now it's time for him to go. There's no way he hasn't become poo poo by now according to political law.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The left is often genuinely unfairly maligned and persecuted, but I feel like it leads to outside observers to reflexively defend “leftist” leaders like Maduro and (arguably) Morales despite them being involved in some very corrupt practices.

I get it, the fash has smeared leftists before so they’re clearly doing it again, right?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Seriously. I dunno how you can look at this and be like "hmm, this Morales guy seems alright."

Maybe because he's a president who has presided over unprecedented poverty reduction, running against a guy who, as president and vice president, presided over violent repression of protests that led to 60 deaths, and who also in his time ignored referendum results, because the referendum in question called for the nationalization of hydrocarbons?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

joepinetree posted:

Maybe because he's a president who has presided over unprecedented poverty reduction, running against a guy who, as president and vice president, presided over violent repression of protests that led to 60 deaths, and who also in his time ignored referendum results, because the referendum in question called for the nationalization of hydrocarbons?

Nah man, gotta let the privatizing corporate stooge have a turn even if they lack the votes, or the liberals will be even more horny for a coup than usual.

Besides, most bolivians are darker skinned than Chileans so pics of their dead unionists on the streets fade from memory, like, instantly.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

joepinetree posted:

Ah fair enough. He should be dictator for life then

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

To be fair to Morales...I mean look at what happened to Correa when he left.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ah fair enough. He should be dictator for life then

There may be questions over whether he won in the first round or not, but there's no question that the courts had ok'd him running, that he was ahead, and its a question that will never be resolved because the opposition has started burning ballot boxes. The idea that this is "dictator for life" is laughable. I hope that DSA tag is ironic.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

zocio posted:

this does not sound entirely ideal

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, the whole first round thing is sus as gently caress and it's kinda Maduro-esque. You can acknowledge that without thinking the opposition are the good guys.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

joepinetree posted:

There may be questions over whether he won in the first round or not, but there's no question that the courts had ok'd him running, that he was ahead, and its a question that will never be resolved because the opposition has started burning ballot boxes. The idea that this is "dictator for life" is laughable. I hope that DSA tag is ironic.

people can disagree with you while still being leftists, bub

they can even be sarcastic or ironical about it :stonk:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

people can disagree with you while still being leftists, bub

they can even be sarcastic or ironical about it :stonk:

They can also be dumb as hell, which certainly qualifies in this case.

This is not Morales trying to turn a 31-53 defeat into a win by blaming the evil yankees. Bitching about his candidacy stopped being relevant months ago. It passed, rules were set, game on.

But eh, guess we just have to give up and let the neoliberals take over and undo all the work and likely send us to jail or the grave, not because they WON, because they didn't, but because they are _upset_.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Dias posted:

I mean, the whole first round thing is sus as gently caress and it's kinda Maduro-esque. You can acknowledge that without thinking the opposition are the good guys.

The very nature of politics is that there are no moral victories and it is by definition a choice between imperfect alternatives.

In this particular case, the Bolivian electoral court decided that there was a discrepancy between ballots and the section totals, which was the initial controversial decision to pause the count. Maybe it was Maduro-esque, maybe it wasn't. Diego Pary, the foreign minister, invited the EU, Brazil and Argentina to accompany the recount. Except that can't happen anymore, because in places like Sucre opposition protesters decided to set fire to ballot boxes, and in others, like Cobija, protesters only took over the electoral courts, where ballots were held. So the recount, which, again, the Morales government had invited the EU, Brazil and Argentina to accompany, is impossible now.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 24, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Play to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I see the d&d regime change propaganda machine is revving up