Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

SabinBlitz posted:

Hey guys.... Why didn’t we apply for an Org Booth?

None are big enough.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Dogeh posted:

We need an org booth at CitCon.

However. My artistic skills aren't the best.
Do we have an org logo?

The Eye of Providence watching over a boot forever stamping the face of an anthropomorphic bear with a bad hairpiece who is clutching a picture of an Idris.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Seriously though, I would love to go to a CitCon , not even to crash it. I would just people watch and not say a single word other than to encourage whales to buy more JPEGs.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Bofast posted:

:lol:
Bethesda is such a trash company at this point.

That come and go. The 2010-2020 period saw good companies like bioware, blizzard, bethesda only develop garbage after garbage games.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I predict this year they will reveal this brand new tech surrounding jump points that will actually be instancing.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Baxta posted:

I predict this year they will reveal this brand new tech surrounding jump points that will actually be instancing.

Even better, the newest rumor involves the ability to rent private servers for your org. Known as Dynamic Servers, they spin up on demand for only 30$ per week. Currently it can only support one player, and has zero persistence, but Robert Space has high hopes for this new technology built on what his developers call "localhost".

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Experimental Skin posted:

Even better, the newest rumor involves the ability to rent private servers for your org. Known as Dynamic Servers, they spin up on demand for only 30$ per week. Currently it can only support one player, and has zero persistence, but Robert Space has high hopes for this new technology built on what his developers call "localhost".

Subscription based, single player, local persistence.

$12 a month.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

e; wrong thread

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
what does this mean

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

NoMas posted:

what does this mean

spending $15000 on star citizer

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

NoMas posted:

what does this mean

I mean, just imagine that you’re a grown man who has given $15000 or more to a pathological huckster. Then that huckster automails you a jpeg that tells calls you “dependable, yet brazenly unpredictable” and extols your “fearless gallantry”. And rather than seeing the giant lollipop wrapper staring back at you in the mirror, you swell up with pride, wondering what new compliments await you when you drop $5000 more.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

I mean, just imagine that you’re a grown man who has given $15000 or more to a pathological huckster. Then that huckster automails you a jpeg that tells calls you “dependable, yet brazenly unpredictable” and extols your “fearless gallantry”. And rather than seeing the giant lollipop wrapper staring back at you in the mirror, you swell up with pride, wondering what new compliments await you when you drop $5000 more.

Worse still. Just imagine spending 15000 on a computer game at all.

I mean, even if you are farting hundred dollar bills, its still insane.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Dogeh posted:

Actually, I'm sure it's not too late to get one up and running.

Find more details in this thread: You need to have Anti-SC Goon access
I hope no-one minds me taking this on.
I will have more details by the weekend.

Do we have an org logo?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I like how the preatorian email isn't starting with "holy poo poo! thanks for all this money! we really appreciate it", but instead just invents some in-game bullshit. Do you even get some holy aura in-game for all this $$$?

(I know that isn't probably the whole mail but I choose to believe that nowhere it contains any thank you at all :colbert:)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

NoMas posted:

what does this mean

what galaxy? where are those countless systems?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dwesa posted:

Countless because like the square root of -1, they are imaginary.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Dwesa posted:

Preytorian indeed. Its all a salesman tactic to puff up your ego cause you spent a stupidly amount of money on a non existent videogame. The illusion has to hold.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Dogeh posted:

Actually, I'm sure it's not too late to get one up and running.

Find more details in this thread: You need to have Anti-SC Goon access
I hope no-one minds me taking this on.
I will have more details by the weekend.

Do we have an org logo?

Goones, perdite omnia!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

http://brucefwebster.com/2013/08/26/do-not-defer-the-difficult-in-it-projects/

quote:

I have a mental image that I associate with this particular challenge. Imagine mixing flour, sugar, and spices together in a bowl — as if you’re making cookies — and then throwing in half a dozen walnuts, still in their shells. Now put the mixture into a sieve and sift it all together.

Everything goes through just fine — except for those walnuts. It doesn’t matter how long or hard you work the sieve, the walnuts will just roll around and not go through. You have to take them out, crack them open, remove the nutmeat and grind it to a fine powder before you can get it through the sieve. Nothing else will do.

Pretty much sums up Star Citizen. Also this was written in 2013.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pfff, what does he know about game de-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Webster

Oh...

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Very well put.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Oh...

Now we wait for Blobbers to tell him he doesn't understand game devleopment.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, Elite announced that they were putting their next big feature (player owned carriers) on hold in favor of a serious bug hunt. From what I can tell, most are pleased with this, as there are a bunch of bugs that potentially break the game.

Naturally, someone asked about their track record with releases, and another goon provided the goods:

Elite release: expected March 2014, released December 2014

No estimates were done - AFAIK - about further releases for seasons 1 and 2 (base and Horizons), but I'll try to follow "4 months per release" (so 3 releases a year) schedule. Remember, for these no dates were announced, so technically they were never late (at least I couldn't find any dates, feel free to fill them in if you know about some):
1.1: February 2015, on time
1.2: March 2015, on time
1.3: June 2015, on time
1.4: October 2015, on time
2.0: December 2015, on time
2.1: May 2016, "delayed" a month
2.2: October 2016, "delayed" a month
2.3: April 2017, "delayed" a month
2.4: September 2017, "delayed" a month

Beyond had a roadmap:
3.0: Q1 (February), on time, full
3.1: Q2 (June), on time, full
3.2: Q3 (August), on time, full
3.3: Q4 (December), on time, missing ice worlds and carriers

Post Beyond, the plans were split between 2020 update and smaller updates. these again had no given date, though we can again use the 4 months periods:
4.0: April 2019, on time
4.1: September 2019, a month late
4.2: December 2019, ???

In conclusion - so far, FDev's time management is really solid to me, they mostly hit their cycle and if it slips, then just barely (two to three weeks tops). Especially if you compare it to stuff like Valve time or Star Citizen's still not completely released 3.0 roadmap. There's an issue with ice planets and carriers, but I'll reserve my judgment on those to when they are released, tbh.

Funny, eh?

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 24, 2019

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Oh...

He even programmed a space sim back in 1984 that appears to have been an actual game and not a vehicle to sell JPGs (PCXs?) of spaceships:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunDog:_Frozen_Legacy

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Synn_Trey/status/1187360550554132485

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Oh...

Counterpoint: he selected Java, then python for his personal project.

Edit: ^^^ someone lock down Sarsa’s credit card.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

iospace posted:

So, Elite announced that they were putting their next big feature (player owned carriers) on hold in favor of a serious bug hunt. From what I can tell, most are pleased with this, as there are a bunch of bugs that potentially break the game.

Naturally, someone asked about their track record with releases, and another goon provided the goods:

Funny, eh?

Elite will have his whole life cycle of release-extensions for 10 years before star citizen is even a game.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iospace posted:

Funny, eh?

To be honest, i'm not overjoyed with the delay for bug fixing. Unless they are using the time to do a major refactor and to improve their tools and processes, then after this, it will just go back to the usual cycle of buggy releases once again. So might as well just ship FCs with bugs then fix them after as we are used to.

However, if after this we get less buggy updates due to improvements, then i suppose i can't complain at the delay.

Guess will just have to wait and see.

My money though is on the FC release when it comes being a bug fest, and the big 4.0 update being one as well.

Skeptic mode is fully on for this one.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

loving refundian, it's their fault if star citizen is poo poo.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Only a couple of thousand followers. Nobody important. Go back to your troll cave you FUDster.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agony Aunt posted:

To be honest, i'm not overjoyed with the delay for bug fixing. Unless they are using the time to do a major refactor and to improve their tools and processes, then after this, it will just go back to the usual cycle of buggy releases once again. So might as well just ship FCs with bugs then fix them after as we are used to.

However, if after this we get less buggy updates due to improvements, then i suppose i can't complain at the delay.

Guess will just have to wait and see.

My money though is on the FC release when it comes being a bug fest, and the big 4.0 update being one as well.

Skeptic mode is fully on for this one.

The problem is we can't tell "more buggy release" from "less buggy release". Both are buggy and both could have less bugs and we don't know whether FDev fixed 20 or 100 bugs before release.

I think the releases will be less buggy for a few years (before new bug sources are accumulated), but it won't necessarily be that way (and for that long) for the players' eyes.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

no_recall posted:

http://brucefwebster.com/2013/08/26/do-not-defer-the-difficult-in-it-projects/

[sieve stuff]

Pretty much sums up Star Citizen. Also this was written in 2013.

Lol, this newb knows nothing about cookie development. You just make a hole in the sieve for the walnuts to pass.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zzr posted:

Elite will have his whole life cycle of release-extensions for 10 years before star citizen is even a game.

Also Tamriel Rebuilt will be completed.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Oh...

But they have delivered a product it's just tier 0 alpha !!! I play all the time and I'm happy so this doesn't apply !!

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

He should apply at cig I hear they have openings next to mark strong

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Yup, they "raised" money for a "for profit" entity.

Yup.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1187388510963150849

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I take it they couldn't find a barista.