Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So if Boris loses the election or otherwise ends up in such a state that Brexit is not going to happen, how long will it take for him to mysteriously disappear, the only findable remains being a blonde wig and clown shoes floating down the thames?

Edit for cat taxation.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
he’ll live to a hundred writing op eds about bumboys and letterboxes at ten grand a paragraph the entire time, let’s be realistic about that.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

NewMars posted:

So if Boris loses the election or otherwise ends up in such a state that Brexit is not going to happen, how long will it take for him to mysteriously disappear, the only findable remains being a blonde wig and clown shoes floating down the thames?

Despite a bunch of extremely wealthy sociopaths standing to lose a lot of money should he fail to push through a no/poo poo deal brexit he's sadly probably too high profile a figure to decide to shoot himself five times in the back before locking himself in a boot and driving off a cliff.

That said he'll definitely be uninvited from a lot of very fancy parties so...

he'll face zero actual consequences for anything

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CoolCab posted:

he’ll live to a hundred writing op eds about bumboys and letterboxes at ten grand a paragraph the entire time, let’s be realistic about that.

I think he'll disappear down the darkest hole he can find. You don't cost people billions and get away with it. You especially don't when they backed you to make them billions.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

CoolCab posted:

I wasn't suggesting that he'd die, no. Just that he'd strangely fall off-radar while the guardian welcomes it's new columnist: "Guy Incognito."

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jedit posted:

I think he'll disappear down the darkest hole he can find. You don't cost people billions and get away with it. You especially don't when they backed you to make them billions.

for like, a month. then there will be another backlash as whichever stiff the tories put up remains wildly unpopular, and he'll become the elder statesman, the voice of conservative wisdom against these wild times.

this isn't even me being pessimistic, just cynical. he is still of value to these people.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Jedit posted:

Nah, above a certain point you always fall upwards. Like, look at WeWork. A company that's basically pissed away $13bn of investors' money, and now they're paying the founder $1.7bn to get rid of him.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

look I know parliament cannot agree on much but surely we can get a majority for legally forcing the oct 31 brexit coins into circulation just for how hilarious that would be
:bisonyes:

Ms Adequate posted:

Synthwave loving rules so hard, it's literally the best genre that there is.
Shocking Sovietwave erasure itt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMoCM_FgLP8

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely feel like synthwave might have been purposely designed for me and the weird thing is that I'm not old enough to remember the 80's.
Everyone was terrified of AIDS and drugs and drowning in a reservoir, government was bad, then right at the end some people in Berlin waved sparklers for my aunt's birthday and everyone was optimistic for a bit, then began the 90s.

The tabloids were all about how you would be murdered at any moment.

That's my 80s memories.

Alctel posted:

I'm waiting for the return of boatchat as I literally live on a boat

although I'm kinda stranded in mexico on it right now as Brexit completely hosed my french polynesia visa, thanks everyone
Would really like to hear more about this if you want to boatshare.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Lol quelle surprise:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-50161433

quote:

Former Scottish Conservatives leader Ruth Davidson has joined a City of London public relations firm as a senior adviser.

The MSP takes up her role with Tulchan Communications two months after quitting as the party's leader, having spent eight years in the job.

She remains the MSP for Edinburgh Central but confirmed she is unlikely to seek re-election in 2021.

It is believed Ms Davidson will be paid for 24 days' work a year.

Ms Davidson cited both "professional and personal" changes behind her reason for stepping down as Scottish Tory leader.

She said these included being "hopelessly conflicted over Brexit" and the arrival of her son Finn last October.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

justcola posted:

some days I wonder why such and such a story isn't discussed in more depth, but then there is no depth really. To track daily political news is masochistic, nothing much has really happened since 2016 I feel. On a day to day level I feel politics are discussed more, yet discussions tend to be about Brexit or Corbyn rather than austerity. It has been eye-opening to hear what people I know think or feel as its mostly lovely, with the upside being coming across a comrade now and then.

we're also supporting a genocide in yemen and even weirder stuff has emerged about the OPCWs conduct while investigating the alleged chemical weapons attack in syria last year that we bombed them for, and nobody gives a poo poo or wants to talk about it. it's just people complaining about brexit endlessly even tho as you say *nothing has actually happened* since 2016. and now we're being told by commentators that actually all politics are subserviant to the leave/remain divide so check talk of class and foreign policy at the door.

that's the real achievement of the tories there imo.

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 24, 2019

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

This is largely off topic but thanks to whoever recommended the ATR2100 mic when you all were starting up the podcasting. I'm recording some stuff for work and having 0 sound issues even while a building across the street is being demolished.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

from descriptions of assanges physical and medical condition too there seems to be evidence he's being tortured. no coverage. the sexual assault allegations have sort of been cast aside and...no acknowledgement. like i'm not a fan of his but why should i need to be just to say his treatment is hosed up and it should be national news that the CIA and US state department were actively dictating the terms of proceedings in court the other day.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm going for goth weekend so yeah, gotta have my chippy while I'm there.

(late catchup)...I used to go to WgW a bit, I heard it's all fractioned off a bit these days with a bunch in-fighting? Goth drama, who knew.

Can't say it could ever be the same without the 80's disco on the Sunday night in that wonderfully dreadful night club venue. *whistles nelly the elephant*

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
If Labour are going for the whole strategic ambiguity thing again, this time regarding a possible election, there’s no hope for them.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1187276757835145216?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Also John Curtis has written a thing about how he’s sceptical regarding the party’s chances in an election too, and how it looks like the SNP and Lib-Dems are likely to make gains at the expense of Labour and Conservatives, with the result of a slightly different formulated hung parliament.

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 24, 2019

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Deputy Political Editor of the Times is surely just presenting facts as they happened. It's a waste of time getting mad about anything reported on twitter that doesn't come from a direct linked source, because otherwise its going to be anywhere between a reaching misinterpretation and an outright fabrication, a la that "every single Labour MP will surely vote against a general election" that people were getting wound up about last night.

e: my god, who could have predicted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1187269621440765952?s=19

She's just stating Labour's position: willing to debate the bill, election otherwise. Shocker.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 24, 2019

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

josh04 posted:

The Deputy Political Editor of the Times is surely just presenting facts as they happened. It's a waste of time getting mad about anything reported on twitter that doesn't come from a direct linked source, because otherwise its going to be anywhere between a reaching misinterpretation and an outright fabrication, a la that "every single Labour MP will surely vote against a general election" that people were getting wound up about last night.

I mean, I can go and watch both interviews, but it’s coming from various sources at this point that there’s a sizeable group of Labour MPs who are hesitating over an election, including amongst Corbyn supporters, and that mixed messages are being sent out.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If none of the source are named and on the record, it's may as well be no sources. It may as well be a hot tip from Dom Cummies himself.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If I were a cynic, I might suggest that Labour is deliberately letting those interviews descend into unintelligible gibberish to neuter the effect of a hostile press; it's hard to imagine anyone not looking for an excuse to post "Rebecca Wrong Daily" in replies on twitter coming away with anything other than utter bafflement.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pesmerga posted:

I mean, I can go and watch both interviews, but it’s coming from various sources at this point that there’s a sizeable group of Labour MPs who are hesitating over an election, including amongst Corbyn supporters, and that mixed messages are being sent out.

Well the extension isn't approved yet so there's quite a lot of uncertainty around and there's also a bunch of right wing Labour MPs who are in for a rough time of it during an election and potential Corbyn government so yeah there's going to be a lot of that and it'll resolve itself when we know what's happening with the extension.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Guavanaut posted:

That's my 80s memories.

Mine are: everyone was angry about privatization, unemployment, the miners' strike, Central American death squads and the sinking of the Belgrano. Then Kinnock sounded smug at a rally and everyone said 'my house has tripled in value!' and the left deflated like a balloon.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In band news I just got tickets to see Lightning Bolt in two weeks. Man, I can't wait. What a loving racket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NZGbD236fw

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Oh dear me posted:

Then Kinnock sounded smug at a rally

Anyone who was old enough at the time (I was early 30s) must remember the absolute cringeworthy Sheffield rally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOgB3Smvro

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Pesmerga posted:

Which sources? Oh, we don't know because every single one of them is anonymous, so we can't corroborate their statements. OK, let's work out from the numbers instead - to get to the quoted figures, we would need members of Corbyn's shadow cabinet to break a three line whip in order to vote against an election. Which members would these be? Name even one that you think might be willing to go through with this.

It's one thing to say the polling looks bad, it's quite another to swallow this pure unfettered bullshit wholesale even though members of the press themselves have been warning you about levels of bullshit within their own circles in the past week.

If you can go and watch both interviews, then maybe you should, before you take the loving Times at face value.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

josh04 posted:

If I were a cynic, I might suggest that Labour is deliberately letting those interviews descend into unintelligible gibberish to neuter the effect of a hostile press; it's hard to imagine anyone not looking for an excuse to post "Rebecca Wrong Daily" in replies on twitter coming away with anything other than utter bafflement.

The leadership is still frantically doing it's war planning; it's unfortunate but in their defence they're reacting to events that are less than 48 hours old so you have to give them some time. Also until the EU comes back it's not clear if we should be planning for elections or petrol shortages in November.

In the interim the holding line is we welcome an election but not until after no deal is off the table, which is meaningless fudge. No deal is never off the table. Add into this febrile mix a bunch of lab MP's with no love for the leadership anonymously briefing whatever they feel like.

Given time and the EU clarifying their position a more developed strategy will be put out. It feels slow because the Cummings-dominated No.10 has been in the habit of constantly texting it's wildest 3am thoughts to all lobby members for immediate release which has created this breakneck pace where everything changes every four hours; it's not sustainable and you're starting to see the cracks forming in that operation.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

gh0stpinballa posted:

and now we're being told by commentators that actually all politics are subserviant to the leave/remain divide so check talk of class and foreign policy at the door.

that's the real achievement of the tories there imo.
Yeah, it's really showing the weakness of channeling most of the energy through formal institutions focused on short-term electoralism - there was that Labour conference vote about migrant solidarity which wasn't binding and seems to have been largely ignored by media, PLP, and leadership, McDonnell made some noises about giving green tech to the global south which is fine but insufficient, what else has there been? Still got the same idiot politicians in bed with Saudi Arabia with no way to stop them, no real discussion of any foreign policy issues.

Like, we ourselves are under existential threat in the short-to-medium term from climate and associated issues, which will realistically require economic and societal restructuring and an entirely new relationship with the global south if we're not going to see massive death, and even that's not enough to get the conversation off Brexit? Brexit! Brexit!!! as the main party politics (ER here just being a humorous sideshow to the media, look at the hippies etc.). Just hugely myopic on all fronts. It's like Brexit is the political class's equivalent of a displacement activity

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The UK: not quite as poo poo as we thought

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone who was old enough at the time (I was early 30s) must remember the absolute cringeworthy Sheffield rally.

drat, that was 92? And falling over on a beach was 83. So actually I had forgotten what he was doing in 1987, the year the left vanished, but Wikipedia tells me it was gutting the ability of the left to influence Labour policy. It all makes sense now.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

CGI Stardust posted:

Like, we ourselves are under existential threat in the short-to-medium term from climate and associated issues, which will realistically require economic and societal restructuring and an entirely new relationship with the global south if we're not going to see massive death, and even that's not enough to get the conversation off Brexit? Brexit! Brexit!!! as the main party politics (ER here just being a humorous sideshow to the media, look at the hippies etc.). Just hugely myopic on all fronts. It's like Brexit is the political class's equivalent of a displacement activity

XR is the liberal displacement activity for climate change.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

My recollection of the 80s was, since I was up north, of everything seeming mostly like it was still the late 70s.

E: Like how people keep arguing if the aesthetic of the Joker movie is late 70s or early 80s, even though it's explicitly stated to be 1981.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 24, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oh dear me posted:

drat, that was 92? And falling over on a beach was 83. So actually I had forgotten what he was doing in 1987, the year the left vanished, but Wikipedia tells me it was gutting the ability of the left to influence Labour policy. It all makes sense now.
I don't remember much about '92 other than that South Africa had an important referendum and didn't vote for the poo poo option, largely because the media were mostly to the left of the terrified of its own populace fash government, and there was some good electronic musics.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That explains why Sweden wanted to help me get a new computer :v:

Portugal displaying extreme 'eh' energy. Italy displaying extreme :italy:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

CGI Stardust posted:

The climate catastrophe has been known about for decades, so it's nothing new for it to be ignored in mainstream politics.

We're still kinda somewhat mostly hitting our emission targets, almost entirely due to EU regs. But as the science becomes clearer it's just showing that the targets are too little too late anyway.

No mainstream party will ever submit a policy of taking appropriate and effective action because the amount of systematic changes that would require is massive, not just a complete departure from the exponential growth capitalism.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Rustybear posted:

The leadership is still frantically doing it's war planning; it's unfortunate but in their defence they're reacting to events that are less than 48 hours old so you have to give them some time. Also until the EU comes back it's not clear if we should be planning for elections or petrol shortages in November.

That is not the way it works in Politics, you have plans drawn up for all the likely eventuality's. Its either people are disagreeing with the expected way they are meant to be communicating, the communication plans formulated are poo poo or there were no plans for communication. Going on past experience its likely the plans being poo poo mixed with people disagreeing with them and spilling over into the public domain.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

namesake posted:

XR is the liberal displacement activity for climate change.
Yep

Interesting, didn't realise development had that level of support. Wonder what'd happen to the poll if you appended "also the country might have to spend more money on it". The problem is trying to do it in a way that is effective but doesn't immediately raise hackles on the necks of those who, shall we say, get a bit twitchy about the concept of stuff being taken away from them (somewhat funny considering the sources of Britain's wealth). At a bare minimum, reducing net capital flows from the global south to here would be a start - it might not have the same impact as "our money being spent on foreigners" if the money just never shows up here to start with

Ratjaculation posted:

The climate catastrophe has been known about for decades, so it's nothing new for it to be ignored in mainstream politics.

We're still kinda somewhat mostly hitting our emission targets, almost entirely due to EU regs. But as the science becomes clearer it's just showing that the targets are too little too late anyway.

No mainstream party will ever submit a policy of taking appropriate and effective action because the amount of systematic changes that would require is massive, not just a complete departure from the exponential growth capitalism.
i know :sigh:. isn't the meeting emissions targets largely due to phasing out of coal and replacing with natural gas? heard that somewhere - meaning the reductions will stop anyway because no actual further positive action is being taken.

ed: there was a paper analysis by steve keen which showed that the climate damage model governments were working off was based on numbers pulled entirely out of someone's arse and ignoring tipping points to conclude a max of 5% global economic damage by 2100

loving dumb and lovely (don't sign my posts etc)

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 24, 2019

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

pitch a fitness posted:

This is largely off topic but thanks to whoever recommended the ATR2100 mic when you all were starting up the podcasting. I'm recording some stuff for work and having 0 sound issues even while a building across the street is being demolished.

I read this as "Atari 2600 mic" and got confused as to why there was one supplied in the era before online gaming, and even more confused as to how the mic quality could possibly have been that good for a game system accessory. Maybe I should have had an earlier night yesterday?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/L__Macfarlane/status/1187294761260081153

But I thought Ruth was the good tory. :o

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

"A bit better than Belgium" is probably the nicest thing you could possibly say about the UK at the moment.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bulgarians: gently caress everyone

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CGI Stardust posted:

i know :sigh:. isn't the meeting emissions targets largely due to phasing out of coal and replacing with natural gas? heard that somewhere - meaning the reductions will stop anyway because no actual further positive action is being taken. loving dumb and lovely (don't sign my posts etc)
Going for the cheap natural gas boom rather than nuclear baseload in the 80s/90s is a big part of it, yeah. We do have some huge offshore wind installations now, but I'm not sure what environmental impact we're going to find those having.

Surprise T Rex posted:

I read this as "Atari 2600 mic" and got confused as to why there was one supplied in the era before online gaming, and even more confused as to how the mic quality could possibly have been that good for a game system accessory. Maybe I should have had an earlier night yesterday?
Insulting Pacman's mother and ethnicity of course.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Surprise T Rex posted:

The Famicom (NES equivalent in Japan) had a mic built into the controller. In the original Zelda you could take out enemies with big ears by yelling at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

ThomasPaine posted:

Bulgarians: gently caress everyone

In light of yesterday's events... yeah.