Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

pedro0930 posted:

After you pass the relevant checks Lizz will leave in a huff.
As for the drug case, first actually make sure you accepted the quest (check the task tab), the quest doesn't get accepted until you agree. You are suppose to investigate this case by talking to the lorry drivers. Once you have the quest new dialogue option should be opened when talking to the lorry drivers.

I passed the Authority check with Titus and she didn't leave. Unless I have to talk to her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Roman Reigns posted:

That you don't have clothing or the bonus doesn't unlock it? I'm like 80% sure it does

put on the physical instrument clothing i had, went to the ice cream machine, it wasn't unlocked. went to cuno, bought the FALN pants that gives physical instrument, went vack to the machine, it wasn't unlocked.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

No, that's wrong the bug speaks to you just through a psychic connection tyvm.

Youre just using the same externalization used for the tie conversations. Its actually Harry who is psychic, as evidenced by the tie predicting the future and the shivers dialogue seeing distant places. QED, fucker

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

dmboogie posted:

put on the physical instrument clothing i had, went to the ice cream machine, it wasn't unlocked. went to cuno, bought the FALN pants that gives physical instrument, went vack to the machine, it wasn't unlocked.

You've got the super prybar equipped?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Roman Reigns posted:

You've got the super prybar equipped?

the multi-tool you get from the church lady? yep, the check doesn't even show up without it.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Ffffffuck I'm at a loss then. Sorry :( I'm guessing reloading an earlier save isn't an option?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Roman Reigns posted:

Ffffffuck I'm at a loss then. Sorry :( I'm guessing reloading an earlier save isn't an option?

S'all good man. I unfortunately don't have a convenient save, but I just need to find a way to get 3 more experience points and I'll be able to put another point into physical instrument and put all this behind me lmao

edit: it feels like i've been wandering aimlessly for like an hour but i have, in fact, scrounged up enough XP to finally level up. if I had known there was no way to circumvent this I woulda save-scummed this check in the first place, jeez

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 24, 2019

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the game does its best at emulating that tabletop RPG feel but it is ultimately a computer game and whenever you exhaust its limited set of responses you can occasionally end up frustratingly stonewalled at a place where a human GM would be smart enough to realize you're stumped and present some kind of alternate path for you

actually, is there a tabletop version of this rules system out yet?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mister Bates posted:

the game does its best at emulating that tabletop RPG feel but it is ultimately a computer game and whenever you exhaust its limited set of responses you can occasionally end up frustratingly stonewalled at a place where a human GM would be smart enough to realize you're stumped and present some kind of alternate path for you

actually, is there a tabletop version of this rules system out yet?

Aren't all the skill checks just a target number vs. 2D6 and modifiers?

Edit: and autofail/success on snake eyes/boxcars

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 24, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
its funny, maybe a int/psy build gets stuck less or maybe i got lucky with rolls but ive always had a pile of skillpoints that i dont need to use that i started throwing into shivers and half-light just for more dialogue

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

dmboogie posted:

S'all good man. I unfortunately don't have a convenient save, but I just need to find a way to get 3 more experience points and I'll be able to put another point into physical instrument and put all this behind me lmao

edit: it feels like i've been wandering aimlessly for like an hour but i have, in fact, scrounged up enough XP to finally level up. if I had known there was no way to circumvent this I woulda save-scummed this check in the first place, jeez

I think books give some experience too if you need yet another level. That and the day 2 softlock are pretty big issues with the game tho, there should be a "bad" ending path that opens up if the game detects youve exhausted all quest-related white skill checks.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Half-Light seemed like one of the more useless skills. You actually get to use it, like, one time. The rest is "oh you better be keyed up man, something's going down" but it doesn't actually do the reaction check, that's Reaction Speed or something.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

My secret has just been to hold onto a skill point or two in reserve consistently through the game for white checks I've felt important. :v: (And letting the chips fall where they may/not savescumming on red checks.)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The end of the game also probably shouldnt have been locked behind a single skill check I M O. The game really would have been better off doing a red skill check (or maybe two) for the FALN building with a similar point-of-no-return warning, since its such a bizarre chokepoint. Locking off sidequests make sense, but not the main quest.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Control Volume posted:

The end of the game also probably shouldnt have been locked behind a single skill check I M O. The game really would have been better off doing a red skill check (or maybe two) for the FALN building with a similar point-of-no-return warning, since its such a bizarre chokepoint. Locking off sidequests make sense, but not the main quest.

i agree that this is one of the strangest and least reactive part of the game. i know they want to railroad the ending sequence of ruby - tribunal - wake up - island - debrief but they could have added one other way instead of just shivers looking at a poster to get under the boardwalk

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I feel like this game would benefit if there was no way to manually save (with more frequent auto-saves) and also dialogue options would just disappear instead of getting greyed out. It would make the decisions feel that more final. I know that you can just, you know, not do it but it's psychological. This would require for the game not to break down and not have a couple of unwinnable situations though (like having not enough money at the end of day 2).

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i agree that this is one of the strangest and least reactive part of the game. i know they want to railroad the ending sequence of ruby - tribunal - wake up - island - debrief but they could have added one other way instead of just shivers looking at a poster to get under the boardwalk

They could have just scattered some evidence around the fishing village and coast and then had a couple different possible checks to piece it together

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Saddest Rhino posted:

wait what? i used savoir faire, if i remember correctly - it was a physical skill to climb the rickety ladder on the side of the poster next to the chatty man and his child, and then i entered the feld building from the roof

there was a great little bit there:

harry: i'm going to teleport up this scary rear end ladder. i'm just going to warp up there, to the roof, like a boss

kim: no you're not. shut up. that's not possible

harry: *teleports* look at me now, kim

kim: you just climbed up with your eyes closed, dumbass

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 24, 2019

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

luxury handset posted:

wait what? i used savoir faire, if i remember correctly - it was a physical skill to climb the rickety ladder on the side of the poster next to the chatty man and his child, and then i entered the feld building from the roof

there was a great little bit there:

harry: i'm going to teleport up this scary rear end ladder. i'm just going to warp up there, to the roof, like a boss

kim: no you're not. shut up. that's not possible

harry: *teleports* look at me now, kim

kim: you just climbed up with your eyes closed, dumbass

wait wow, i never got the option to do the ladder. you sure you never had to shivers-check the poster first? that was the big thing stopping me from progressing and i actually had to check the discord to find out

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i did it five seconds ago and you absolutely have to pass the shivers poster check before you can even interact with the ladder.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think the only way to do it is pretty much exhausting everything you can do in all of Martinaise. There's a ton of things that you can do to raise the shivers check on that but almost all of them are side-investigations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It doesn't matter because plot progression should not be locked behind a single check that you can lock yourself out of regardless.
It's one of the few really glaring design flaws of the game.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Hwurmp posted:

Is it possible to keep everyone alive at the tribunal?

No. Even if you do everything right and pass all checks, your thigh is gonna get shot, you'll pass out and some of Titus' guys will die. That's why you can't get sick armor pants!

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Anyway, absolutely a blast to do a second/third playthrough where you cheat up your own stats to bask in the batshit array of options you have at your disposal. Highly rec.

At my ending Kim acknowledged how my character somehow manages to balance being an ultralib with being a commie, which was fun.

Kim -- is a cool professional dude, but what with speedfreaks.fm or whatever and sincerely considering taking amphetamines, seems to be on a dangerous precipice of changing coptypes.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is there any downside to not looking in the mirror? I... think I prefer the initial character portrait. :stonk:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Is there any downside to not looking in the mirror? I... think I prefer the initial character portrait. :stonk:

If you never look, you dont get two optional secret tasks

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you never look, you dont get two optional secret tasks

poo poo. Thanks anyway.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
With respect to That Check, repeating checks is a core part of the game and you should absolutely not try it only once.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If there's any advice for new players, always keep a few skill points handy,

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
That brings up one of the things I don't like about the skill system.
The fact that levelling up skills unlocks failed white checks (combined with the fact that your ability to level up your skills is a finite resource) actually incentivises you not to increase your skills for as long as possible, because if you pump them when you get points then you're decreasing the number of attempts you can make at future white checks.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Agent355 posted:

Has anybody expliclty pointed out how good the voice acting is and how brilliant it is to give nearly EVERY NPC a voice but only for a few lines at the beginning?

Not only is the actual work well done but giving them a few voiced lines makes it so easy for me to read the rest of the conversation with their speech pattern and intonations in my head. Voice acting is expensive as poo poo and a big reason that alot of modern RPGs don't have nearly as much choice in conversations as games used to (before voice acting existed).

Having a few lines for everybody but still leaving most of the lines unvoiced is a great balance that lets me get a feel for the character and still engage with them in complicated conversation trees with branching options and real consequences.

Yeah this was a great descision. A voice sets the tone for a character in an instant, text can be interpretated a million different ways.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Control Volume posted:

The pale is both an omnipresent and deleterious force, and also a metaphor for mundane problems (alcoholism, civil unrest, failed business ventures) being blamed on superstitious beliefs

Even the bug that explains all this isnt the bug talking, its you talking to your imagination pretending to be the bug
The bug is real. Junior Detective Cuno saw it too.

Beat the game just now, really was fantastic and did I pretty well for being a sorry cop. I might at least replay the save I had right before the tribunal to try and prevent Kim from getting shot so he could still be with me for the rest of the game. I was fine with Cuno though because it gave a nice end to his arc.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I know the thread has slightly moved on but its not like this game doesn't have any political themes. While yes, most people complaining about idpol are cishet yts, many evocations of identity aren't used in the empowering intersectional way say the Combahee River Collective originally meant it. Instead it can be used as a cudgel to erase minority leftists and ghettoize our concerns to only be about "our" issues.

If you want to hear it from an academic poc I highly recommend Adoph Reed jr. Particularly his book 'Class Notes'

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm on day 2 and seem at a bit of a loose end unless I want to do a dodgy job for the union guy/joyce which I don't really want to do. Is this uncommon and I should read the case files to pass the time or do I suck it up instead of investigating for the gun/badge?

Where can I get a map too lol

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jose posted:

The bookstore.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Jose posted:

I'm on day 2 and seem at a bit of a loose end unless I want to do a dodgy job for the union guy/joyce which I don't really want to do. Is this uncommon and I should read the case files to pass the time or do I suck it up instead of investigating for the gun/badge?

You have probably missed a big quest like the bookstore or the various apartment quests if you have run out of things to do in only two days. Or you've cheated time backwards.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Jose posted:

the dodgy jobs are pretty major and you can do stuff to mitigate their dodgyness

beat the game, and goddamn.

the ending was a bit more low-key than i was expecting, but it was still nice :unsmith:. was there a check to make to explain the old deserter's neurological poo poo, or was the phasmid really the explanation there?

had my regrets - ruby killed herself and the hardy boys got completely massacred, but kim liked me (20+ points) and i was able to invite him to join my precinct, so all's well that'll live on in harry's nightmares.

i was kinda hoping there'd be an ending slide equivalent beyond your talk with your old partner, but that'd be a lot of variables so it's all good tbh

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 24, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Urthor posted:

You have probably missed a big quest like the bookstore or the various apartment quests if you have run out of things to do in only two days. Or you've cheated time backwards.

well i hosed up some checks and am waiting until 9pm for the apartments

dmboogie posted:

the dodgy jobs are pretty major and you can do stuff to mitigate their dodgyness

unavoidably major?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Jose posted:

unavoidably major?

i mean, do you want to get your gun back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can finish the game without doing them, though it might put you at a major disadvantage. There's one two ways to mitigate this handicap though.

You can also do them in a way that fucks up Clair's plans tho.