Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

If a Switch is an option, I’d just go with Stardew Valley and/or the upcoming Friends of Mineral Town remake. Both are better imo.

Amppelix posted:

RF4 is coming to switch as an enchanced edition sometime... this fiscal year? So if you can wait for that (and, like, have a switch. that's important) I would.

Yeah I was gonna say that. I’d wait for that I know I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Thanks guys but I don't have a switch and don't plan on getting one anytime soon, if ever.

What are some 3ds games you'd recommend in general?

I finally got to try out the original Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS and that game is a lot of fun, despite the controls being kind of awkward. The hidden mansion is a huge pain.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Ryuga Death posted:

What are some 3ds games you'd recommend in general?

3DS games that are good in general:
Picross 3D 2, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pocket Card Jockey, Steamworld Dig/Heist/Dig 2, Rhythm Heaven, Codename STEAM, The World Ends With You, Elite Beat Agents, (those two are DS games but I love them) the Phoenix Wright Trilogy, Hyrule Warriors Legends if you 1) aren't getting a Switch and 2) need to waste a million hours

Do You Like RPGs:

Atlus:
There's four six Shin Megami Tensei games shoved into the 3DS if you want a turn-based demon apocalypse. SMT IV and SMT 4A for that classic SMT gameplay, Devil Survivor 1 & 2 for turn-based strategy, Soul Hackers was a 1997 Japan-only Sega Saturn game, and Strange Journey is a first person dungeon crawler that loving hates you.
I've never played an Etrian Odyssey but I hear they're good, and there's also Person Q and Q2 which are like Etrian Odyssey but... Persona.

Square-Enix:
Dragon Quest VII and VIII both got 3DS ports and if you haven't played them anywhere else you might as well
Bravely Default 1 & 2 are like the FFV job system but, like, more. The devs watched 20 years of nerds breaking FFV wide open and made a game that embraces, encourages, and expects that level of job synergy. Also the soundtrack is cool.
Is Kingdom Hearts an RPG? I dunno but there's one on the 3DS if you want to hang out with Tron.

Pokémon:
There's eight Pokémon games, and they all play like Pokemon games, just pick one.

Other:
Xenoblade Chronicles had no business being crammed into a 3DS but they did and I love it.
Monster Hunter? There's some good Monster Hunter
Rune Factory 4 is game where you can punch a lightning unicorn so hard it turns into a guy, who you can marry. You can also tame this unicorn (who is a boss fight that respawns daily) with home-grown giant magic carrots. The guy and the unicorn can both be party members at the same time, and you can take them to that boss fight
It also has the most esoteric, infuriating crafting system I've ever seen.

I'd keep going but I have already typed far too much about all of this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora’s Mask 3D, Link Between Worlds, Super Mario 3D Land, Rhythm Heaven Megamix, WarioWare Gold, Kid Icarus Uprising. There’s so much good stuff on 3DS. A handful of these games have demos. Check out the demo section on the eShop, a lot of the best games have free demos.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 24, 2019

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ha, Warioware Gold was the game that convinced me to get a 3DS. That game is a lot of fun and it was great replaying a ton of the old minigames I recognized.

YggiDee posted:

I'd keep going but I have already typed far too much about all of this.

Thanks for this. Are any of the aforementioned RPGs difficult? I played through Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga just fine and going through Bowser's Inside Story alright but these games are probably super easy mode RPGs. The only other RPGs I've played have been the Trails in the Sky/Trails of Cold Steel series.

Last pokemon game I played was Black for the DS. I don't think Pokemon games are for me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Any Atlus RPGs will absolutely kick your rear end without remorse. The head of Atlus USA is quoted as saying "we get off on your tears". SMT4 in particular has a brutal first dungeon, although the difficulty does ease off a bit afterwards.

Dragon Quest isn't hard. It's funny that the stereotype for DQ are these super grindy games, because I've only done any real amount of grinding in one DQ (9), and that was in the post-game. I played 7 with everyone except the Hero set to AI control, just because.

Bravely Default can get difficult, but the game's job system is quite easy to break wide open.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

Ha, Warioware Gold was the game that convinced me to get a 3DS. That game is a lot of fun and it was great replaying a ton of the old minigames I recognized.

Definitely try Rhythm Heaven Megamix. It’s by the same people that made WarioWare and they share DNA. It has a demo.

It’s my personal favorite 3DS game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Atlus games are the only ones on that list I'd consider notably hard, but it's a hallmark of the franchise. However I do recommend you at least take a long look at Shin Megami Tensei IV, it's a very good game and it unlocks an easy mode after you get your rear end kicked twice.

Deleted rant about Strange Journey. Love the plot, atmosphere, music. Hate gameplay

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

YggiDee posted:

The Atlus games are the only ones on that list I'd consider notably hard, but it's a hallmark of the franchise. However I do recommend you at least take a long look at Shin Megami Tensei IV, it's a very good game and it unlocks an easy mode after you get your rear end kicked twice.

Deleted rant about Strange Journey. Love the plot, atmosphere, music. Hate gameplay

What's the difference/relationship between SMT4 and SMT Apocalypse?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's the sequel to SMTIV

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I want to play Apocalypse cause I really liked IV but I haven't touched my 3DS since getting a Switch. :(

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse starts 75% of the way through SMT IV and steers the whole plot in a different direction. I think it's an improvement over IV gameplay wise but you should definitely play IV first.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I want to go play Apocalypse but I hear it kinda sorta picks up from the Neutral ending of SMT4 and I want to go back and get that first, but Neutral is the hardest ending to get in 4 so I haven't done it yet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I want to go play Apocalypse but I hear it kinda sorta picks up from the Neutral ending of SMT4 and I want to go back and get that first, but Neutral is the hardest ending to get in 4 so I haven't done it yet.

It actually picks up more like partly into the Neutral ending and swerved in a totally different direction. So if you've had enough of 4 go ahead on to Apocalypse.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've never played a Monster Hunter before. I heard the most recent one, World, has fights that last for a really long time. Is it the same for the 3DS versions and is the game just fighting different monsters over and over again?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Ryuga Death posted:

I've never played a Monster Hunter before. I heard the most recent one, World, has fights that last for a really long time. Is it the same for the 3DS versions and is the game just fighting different monsters over and over again?

Most "fights" take about 10 minutes. You usually have 50 minutes to "hunt" the monster, but that includes time for tracking it.

Monster Hunter games are all about hunting monsters for parts to make better gear, then using that gear to hunt bigger monsters and get their parts, etc

That's the whole loop.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The boss fights (which is almost all the fights) last about 8-20 minutes, depending on how well you handle your weapon and items. Can take 30 minutes and up if you're inexperienced or still getting a hang of the level layout or just running around stocking up / restocking supplies in the field.

Multiplayer is a lot of fun but if you actually want to get to know the fights and learn monster moves and timings instead of just getting slapped around until the guy in your group with the infinity+1 sword kills it for you, you should do a lot of solo fights, too. The monsters are fun to fight.
Bring a cat that heals you, it's a crutch but also a huge help in the beginning.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ryuga Death posted:

They're not overly long if you're doing it right, the problem some people have is monsters don't have health bars (and until World there weren't damage numbers) so you really have to pay attention to hit reactions to make sure you aren't ineffectually plinking away instead of actually doing real damage. They probably average around 10 minutes if you are, not exactly good at the game, but at least aware of how things work.

It is primarily fighting big monsters though, and in between thinking about and preparing for your next hunt, be it like bringing the right items to counter environmental stuff or status effects, setting up elemental attack and defense, all that. Its very much a game about learning about monsters and how to fight them effectively, rather than a game where you can just outlevel stuff and win on numbers.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
When you start to read a monster like a book and handle your weapon like a pianist and start to fully use your item arsenal, you start to drop monsters in under 5 minutes that took you half an hour to kill the first time and feel like you finally see the matrix

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Get World on PC and join us! It's a gorgeous game.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
That sounds sort of interesting. What's a good one to pick up on 3DS? There seems to be a number of them. I'm not exactly rushing out to buy any of the suggested games right away but just making a list of titles to keep in mind. Sorry if I keep clogging up the thread asking for details or recommendations.

Annath posted:

Get World on PC and join us! It's a gorgeous game.

I don't think my PC can handle it and I prefer to play games solo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Get either MH4U or Generations, I'd probably lean more toward 4U first since it has the better story and its a little more Normal Monster Hunter. Generations is good but its a weird fanservice game that is more interested in referencing old stuff and adding weird complications for long time players.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Monster Hunter isn’t very fun solo, in my opinion. I’d skip it if you aren’t going to play with people.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't really agree, coop is fun but I've played hundreds of hours of MH at this point solo, across all the games. Its still good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s tedious as hell to me solo and it feels like the game is designed with multiplayer in mind first.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If you don't know any better, then solo is shameless good times. The titles often have semi-endless expedition modes that are fun and break up the usual hunts if you're going solo.

Co-op is real good though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Half agreed. I have played a lot of solo but the problem with the old games is you have to go to the multiplayer area after you've finished the solo content in order to continue the progression and that stuff is tuned for 2-4 players so it will take longer no matter how good you are. If you really fall in love with the game then that's fine and it's worth it but I can see it being very discouraging if you're not a big fan of the long hunts.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ryuga Death posted:

That sounds sort of interesting. What's a good one to pick up on 3DS? There seems to be a number of them. I'm not exactly rushing out to buy any of the suggested games right away but just making a list of titles to keep in mind. Sorry if I keep clogging up the thread asking for details or recommendations.

I don't think my PC can handle it and I prefer to play games solo.

Either 4U or Generations are great for a first MonHun game. I agree that 4U is a better overall jumping in point but keep in mind there is one key thing that Generations has over 4U...

You can be a cat. Generations, and Generations Ultimate for Switch, are the only MonHun games with Prowler mode, where you can beat up giant ferocious monsters as a tiny cat. If that sounds like your jam, strongly consider Generations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just tried the MH4 demo. I did nothing but charge a giant hammer at a dinosaur while cats kept meowing around me and healed me, I think. What a strange game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

I just tried the MH4 demo. I did nothing but charge a giant hammer at a dinosaur while cats kept meowing around me and healed me, I think. What a strange game.

It’s one of those games that doesn’t really grab people at first but once it does, it gets you bad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ryuga Death posted:

Monster Hunter demos are famously awful because they just throw you into some random fight without bothering to ease you in, and also exclude the other like half of the game that makes MH good and interesting

So if you aren't totally repulsed by it then that's a good sign

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The demo basically is for people who like mh to try out the new game before it's available

general chaos
May 20, 2001
So what are the best 3DS themes? Homebrew or otherwise? I rather like the Sega console themed ones with all of the nostalgic sound effects. That and of course Snake Eater.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
The Dreamcast theme is the only correct answer.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The hanafuda theme owns, and I don't have to obsessively sort my games so they 'match'

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not done with the Bravely Default demo yet but I have no idea what I'm doing, ha. Probably thanks to never having played a Final Fantasy game ever.

Annath posted:

The Dreamcast theme is the only correct answer.

I was so tempted to spend the two dollars to buy that theme.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ryuga Death posted:

I was so tempted to spend the two dollars to buy that theme.

It does the VMU beep on startup as well as the disc drive revving up to full speed. It's worth two bucks for that alone.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It does the VMU beep on startup as well as the disc drive revving up to full speed. It's worth two bucks for that alone.

Darn this thread, I bought it!

The Ever Oasis demo is fun but I don't know how long the fun would last in a full game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ever oasis is great fun and totally worth your time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Seconding Ever Oasis being a real good time. My only criticism is that the post-game can get pretty frustrating dealing with a randomly generated dungeon mechanic but there’s a lot of content before you ever need to start worrying about that.