Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's a very cool concept that takes full advantage of the lovingly rendered world, it's also very very funny to be able to play as a child sized character who retains the same speed and agility of an adult model so you're just rocketing around everywhere you go at insane speeds for a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Every game that has a horse just makes me wish they copied the horse from Odyssey, I really missed the autopilot and being able to hop into your drone eagle while you travel.

The horse autopilot is such a simple and ingenious compromise between having to travel everywhere yourself which is annoying and fast travel which lets you miss out on the beautiful open world.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

tweet my meat posted:

It's a very cool concept that takes full advantage of the lovingly rendered world, it's also very very funny to be able to play as a child sized character who retains the same speed and agility of an adult model so you're just rocketing around everywhere you go at insane speeds for a child.

Ubisoft apparently took all those complaints about the slow walk-and-talk missions to heart and now everybody in Assassin's Creed from little children to 80-year old grandmas run at marathon speed to their destination.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

wit posted:

I still love Jason's hammer as the supreme two hander. I don't think I've ever used a mace/club. Any drops seems to be worthless blue or scrap at my level or a purple several levels below.

I just did this quest for the first time, was it added later? I never encountered it on previous run.

Honestly, laughed - not smiled or nodded that yes that was a joke - from start up til the confrontation, which I think I might have messed up is there a comedy bit if you add him to your crew instead of the other two? I didn't get why the confrontation was so serious. I didn't know they had this kind of real funny in them. Yeah there's funny here and there, but this didn't just make me belly laugh but belly laughed at all points. Makes me want more comedy failure options, feels like it was guest written by an English comedian. I was totally expecting it to be Markos, who absolutely should have been punched up to this level of funny. I get that marinating a game in jokes everywhere all the time make them white noise, like the GTA series, but I could absolutely go for a small, proper comedy arc that progresses through the games.

Kassandra can't pull it off quite the way you can, she looks like she's holding some prop from the old Stingray puppet shows. They just look like a pretty poo poo weapon outside of Anchorman.
what quest is this?

one thing I find weird and annoying is that, given the staggering amount of content, they dropped the system from previous ACs where you could rate missions and see what other people rated them. It was weird and intrusive in those games but I really wish I could hover over one of the 437 gold quests and get an idea of whether it's going to be a great adventure full of twists and turns or whether it's a bear scrotum fetch quest

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Ubisoft apparently took all those complaints about the slow walk-and-talk missions to heart and now everybody in Assassin's Creed from little children to 80-year old grandmas run at marathon speed to their destination.

As they should. Being made to walk anywhere in a videogame is a human rights violation.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what quest is this?

one thing I find weird and annoying is that, given the staggering amount of content, they dropped the system from previous ACs where you could rate missions and see what other people rated them. It was weird and intrusive in those games but I really wish I could hover over one of the 437 gold quests and get an idea of whether it's going to be a great adventure full of twists and turns or whether it's a bear scrotum fetch quest

Its called One really, really bad day and its a blue in the north coast of Boetia. The plot is that a town is under attack from pirates and they enlisted the help of the famous eagle bearer who sorted all their problems. Then you show up. They probably don't want anyone pulling that thread regarding how good missions are. Under the really nice window dressing the missions are ridiculously simple affairs. I'm glad of that, because some of the really novel mission types in previous games fell flat and were either linear as hell or mechanically infuriating. Odyssey really only shines in the big picture things, like destabilizing an island or tracking down a cultist, which are arcs of missions and you can't really nail them down with a rating.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I just got to Sparta and it’s unsettling that the game takes the stance of “no you see the slaves actually enjoy it because we feed them!” Obviously the context is complicated, but I feel that even ignoring the topic would have been better than how the game handles it. Also, giving me a mission to kill Spartans who are arming and empowering the slaves felt dirty.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Palpek posted:

That's a weird order to play the games in as Revelations continues the Brotherhood story. Also are you going to go back to play Liberation (that takes place after 3) and Freedom Cry+Rogue (that take place after 4)?

So I actually started my playthrough of the series after finishing AC2. I had played AC1 years ago when it came out and it was one of my most hyped games but it sucked rear end so I never played any of the sequels until last year where I started AC2. So I went AC2 > Brotherhood > 3 > Black Flag with breaks in between. I think I just forgot about Revelation or I thought it was some psp port? Not sure why but I also didn't have Revelations and already had AC3 + Black Flag so I just went on to those.
Not sure if I will get Rogue or any of the other spinoffs. I did ask about Rogue here, some people said it's really good, others said it's not worth playing since it's basically Black Flag carbon copy. Probably won't play Liberation because 3 is my least favorite game/character but I appreciate it more now after going back to the Revelations atleast the gameplay is bit better.

I am kinda excited to get to the more newer games since I haven't played any of them. I might play Rogue or go to Unity after finishing Revelations.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Dinosaurs! posted:

I just got to Sparta and it’s unsettling that the game takes the stance of “no you see the slaves actually enjoy it because we feed them!” Obviously the context is complicated, but I feel that even ignoring the topic would have been better than how the game handles it. Also, giving me a mission to kill Spartans who are arming and empowering the slaves felt dirty.

All the Sparta stuff is super weird, especially with your mom. It's like, no, I actually don't want to live in a shack with you in the city that threw me off a mountain and revels in oppression, thank you

The Symposium crew really should've had a little more focus.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Dinosaurs! posted:

You can skip that quest and just do Pausanias' favor if you kill the Lykaion Wolf before going back to the kings.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

All the Sparta stuff is super weird, especially with your mom. It's like, no, I actually don't want to live in a shack with you in the city that threw me off a mountain and revels in oppression, thank you

The Symposium crew really should've had a little more focus.

"Like it or not, Sparta is your home."

No, actually, my home is currently docked right over in Messenia with Crazy Uncle Barnabas and Responsible Uncle Herodotos.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like Sparta made it very clear early on that it did not want to be your home

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When should I do each DLC, and is there a good map or guide to the cultist? I'm level 36 and I'm kind of confused where to go next. I feel like I'm doing a disservice to myself ignoring most of the forts and bandit camps.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

When should I do each DLC, and is there a good map or guide to the cultist? I'm level 36 and I'm kind of confused where to go next. I feel like I'm doing a disservice to myself ignoring most of the forts and bandit camps.

You can ignore clearing pretty much every fort and bandit camp that doesn't require you to be there and still stay ahead of the curve on leveling as long as you do the sidequests in each area. Mid-30s is a good time to do the big Mykonos chain and Kythera, both fun sidequests. Then go on down to visit the ancient tourist trap of Pephka.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Just started playing this again after bouncing hard off of AC3 (I feel like I need to ease myself back into the terrible movement system by playing AC Brotherhood again or something) and realizing I never did the arena or any of the DLC despite having the season pass.

I was just wondering; does anyone else make it a point to save whatever useless uniques they picked up along the way? Even though it will never leave storage it would feel weird to scrap Odessa's bow or the crappy starting armor from Kassandra's house. I did the same thing with Bayek's starter shield and I'm wondering if I'm the freak or if that's just a thing people do.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I was just wondering; does anyone else make it a point to save whatever useless uniques they picked up along the way? Even though it will never leave storage it would feel weird to scrap Odessa's bow or the crappy starting armor from Kassandra's house. I did the same thing with Bayek's starter shield and I'm wondering if I'm the freak or if that's just a thing people do.

Nah, I do that too. Got a nice chest of memorabilia on the Adrestia

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Wolfsheim posted:

Just started playing this again after bouncing hard off of AC3 (I feel like I need to ease myself back into the terrible movement system by playing AC Brotherhood again or something) and realizing I never did the arena or any of the DLC despite having the season pass.

I do it because of the storage chest, and in case a certain build becomes a lot of fun (either by player discovery or content updates).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I enjoy the satisfaction of getting a quest reward from an NPC like "take this misthios, it's a precious family heirloom and all I can afford to offer as payment" then immediately vendoring it to the nearest merchant.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just having random player made missions spread around the world is a pretty wild design choice. My immersion is a bit broken, but having access to xp farm missions is a pretty nice tradeoff.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I enjoy the satisfaction of getting a quest reward from an NPC like "take this misthios, it's a precious family heirloom and all I can afford to offer as payment" then immediately vendoring it to the nearest merchant.

Or just dismantling it for scrap; I imagine you just snap it over your knee in front of them or something

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

Just having random player made missions spread around the world is a pretty wild design choice. My immersion is a bit broken, but having access to xp farm missions is a pretty nice tradeoff.
you can turn them off and only turn them on when you want to farm. I've never really looked at them, it was being advertised as a powerful story creation tool but all the missions I saw before turning it off are like "demos revenge against 10000 hop lights *HIGH XP - NITEMARE DIFFCULTY*"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's cool that something like story creator mode even exists but the toolset is very limited. I played a pretty funny one on Kephallonia that was a mostly dialogue-based "Kassandra tries to remember a story" quest.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Dear god tell me the third Atlantis dlc is short. At this point I just want to finish up the dlc then do the remaining 34% of main story missions and flee from this game forever. It feels like I’ve been strapped in a rollercoaster for 150 hours straight and also the rollercoaster moves at an acceptable fixed speed and is completely level.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mysterious frankie posted:

Dear god tell me the third Atlantis dlc is short. At this point I just want to finish up the dlc then do the remaining 34% of main story missions and flee from this game forever. It feels like I’ve been strapped in a rollercoaster for 150 hours straight and also the rollercoaster moves at an acceptable fixed speed and is completely level.

You don't know how annoyed I was to pop over to some random island to kill a Spartan leader just to finish that weekly orichalcum challenge only to find the seemingly one-off nearby sidequest be one of those "oh they actually put effort into this one" deals where I'm now on a multi-part quest to take down someone called the Dagger. With actual cutscenes and character writing and a mystery and poo poo, gently caress!

AC Odyssey is the first time I've wanted them to not just cut the busywork but they really needed to cut down on even the number of good quests. Its literally too much game and I haven't even done the DLC yet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just got done with NG+. I'm happy to report that at level 99, using OP endgame armor/skills on Nightmare, not clearing any optional camps besides the tombs, and replaying every story quest including the Lost Tales... Odyssey only took about 60 hours to complete! Easy peasy. That isn't including any of the DLC of course, since that would just be crazy! Here are a couple different things I noticed:

- You can gain the audience of the Spartan kings without doing either of their quests, if you kill the Lykaion Wolf before meeting with them the first time.
- Likewise, it's actually possible to convince the ephors that Pausanias is the Cultist even if you've already killed the Monger and Lagos. I'm not sure what conditions are required to do this, but it was quite surprising when it happened in my game. I think you have to save Lagos' family and speak with him before taking the "I kill you" option.
- Many sidequests are apparently tied to the Cultists, even if they only give you clues to their whereabouts. I killed a lot of them just from memory and ended up missing a few quest chains because of this.
- If you recruit Roxana and send the crew back to defend Thasos for that Barnabas sidequest, she shows up at the end and has a conversation with Kassandra. That was a pretty neat interaction I missed the first time.
- If you kill the Minotaur before going to Pephka, everybody laughs in Kassandra's face when she says it's already dead. Pretty funny!

Glad to have wrapped this up just in time for Outer Worlds. I still have to finish the Discovery Tour and then maybe I'll finally be able to say I've done everything there is to do in this game!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

there are so many little reactive details like that it's impressive. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

I really liked the game but dropped it in the middle of the first Atlantis DLC. Also, haven't finished sidequests in a previous DLC. This is the case of too much game, true. And now that they got rid of level cap and added a lot of stuff I can clearly see it transforming into an infinite treadmill with looking for better loot and clearing out fortresses again and again even if you don't get DLCs. Not something I want to do but I've seen this idea done worse.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I can see myself dipping into it now and again as a chillout/hangover game but yeah. It's also very... dispiriting to have reached mastery levels and all my ability points go to parodically boring poo poo like +1.6 critical assassin damage

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I hope the Assassin's Creed: Viking game world is as beautiful as Ghost Recon Breakpoint's. If it is they can make the game as big as they want and I'll happily dip in and out forever.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I am oooooout. I got the base plus dlc on sale for forty and put lime 150 in. I feel like I got my money’s worth and am just being stubborn now.

Plus at some point they gotta stop scaling enemies. I think I could have gotten another thirty hours out of exploring if I had the ability to rocket more enemies into the sunset with a poke of my spear. Whenever it happened I would feel a little giddy and looked forward to the day when I had broken the game enough to send everyone flying, Goofy style.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I wonder whether there were technical limitations preventing them from creating mastery levels for Jump and Force of Blows.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I am oooooout. I got the base plus dlc on sale for forty and put lime 150 in. I feel like I got my money’s worth and am just being stubborn now.

Plus at some point they gotta stop scaling enemies. I think I could have gotten another thirty hours out of exploring if I had the ability to rocket more enemies into the sunset with a poke of my spear. Whenever it happened I would feel a little giddy and looked forward to the day when I had broken the game enough to send everyone flying, Goofy style.
the setting to have every enemy trailing 4 or so levels behind you not do that? I'm sure you can make broken enough builds that this is possible, maybe stack up the mastery points and engravings that boost slowdown damage

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I picked this up to be a nice chill out game since I had a good time with Origins and, as expected, I'm having a good time so far.

I have DLC questions:

1. Do the later DLCs require and/or build on earlier ones, or are they all independent?

2. If they're independent, which ones are worth getting?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Legacy of the First Blade is lame, Atlantis is the cool one. They both tell independent stories, but Atlantis expects that you have finished the artifact questline from the main campaign and is more of a postgame DLC.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sounds good to me. I'll skip First Blade and grab Atlantis if/when I finish the base game and want more.

Going for an Assassin-focused build since that seems to be where a lot of the cool moves are. Rush Assassination is a ton of fun and Hero Strike (which I don't yet have) seems like it's extremely powerful if it lets you use your assassin damage in combat.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 28, 2019

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

First Blade is at least worth unlocking the ship's greek fire ability for and then ignoring afterwards.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Deakul posted:

First Blade is at least worth unlocking the ship's greek fire ability for and then ignoring afterwards.

Fully upgraded Greek Fire makes ship combat stupid easy. Ram them, then burn them alive. After they die, shoot arrows at the next one until you’ve built up you meter enough to do it again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

Sounds good to me. I'll skip First Blade and grab Atlantis if/when I finish the base game and want more.

Going for an Assassin-focused build since that seems to be where a lot of the cool moves are. Rush Assassination is a ton of fun and Hero Strike (which I don't yet have) seems like it's extremely powerful if it lets you use your assassin damage in combat.

It seems counter-intuitive, but make sure you put 2 points into Arrow Mastery and 3 points into Sixth Sense from the Hunting tree to play Assassin. This makes sure you always have 1 bar of adrenaline before entering combat and gives you 8 seconds of slow time coming out of stealth.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I knew about the bad twist in Legacy going in but I was still not prepared for how loving terribly written this whole DLC is. I have a very low bar for video game writing and it's godawful to the point of distraction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I really can't decide if I wanna replay this or Origins, both are really fun to dick around in and I got like 11 days to kill before Death Stranding sucks me into that pile of madness.