Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

DekeThornton posted:

As a non American I really don't have strong opinions on turkey preparation (apart from not understanding why you wouldn't go for goose instead), I just love the mad scientist aspect of it. :)

idk about the big picture but what's always kept me from trying a goose for a holiday meal is that it costs like an order of magnitude more than a turkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

BrianBoitano posted:

At least their pesto was clearly "BA's best" instead of "best ever" or "perfect"

Ha! I actually made my first-ever pesto like a month ago and went with the "ba's best" recipe because the name appealed to me. I saw Claire Saffitz was the author, so I assumed it was good, and it was. But then again, what's not to like about herbs, oil 'n nuts?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I want to say that I think oven bags sound kind of dumb. No one really gave a good reason as to why they use them other than easy cleanup. I assume most people probably use them because their parents use them and it's just a thing?

As for turkeys when this subject is brought up I always like to remind everyone about the injection method. It is a fantastic way to get your turkey extra juicy and you can even add flavors deep into the meat like a Cajun butter injection or whatever you want to add. It's easy and works on any turkey regardless of preparation method. It seemed to affect my turkeys more than brining or dry brining although those two methods always get discussed the most and people forget about injecting.

I got this for my birthday and I am really looking forward to using it. I've always used the cheap plastic kind that you can get at most grocery stores around Thanksgiving for like five dollars.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Oven bags arent used in professional kitchens so I'll assume they dont add much value.

However, thanksgiving is a time that strange traditions should be embraced so if your family bags go ahead and do it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

OMGVBFLOL posted:

right, but lots of people do

pouting because their roadmap toward a classic american turkey dinner uses an oven, a basic component of every american full kitchen, is dumb

Not pouting, just pointing out that if they want to make the best turkey they have to deep fry that mother fucker. That’s the answer. Copping out to “deep fryer ain’t in a kitchen” is dumb.

I have fryer, a smoker and an oven. I fry all the turkeys.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Democratic Pirate posted:

FWIW, there’s an African swine flu scare in Asia and a lot of Asian suppliers slaughtered their herds to get in front of it, so supply is plentiful at prices are low at the moment.

How bizarre at the timing! McDonald's brought back the McRib! Must be completely unrelated!

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

My family started doing the oven bag thing for turkey about 25 years ago.

All the stuff about the bag trapping in moisture and keeping it moist is pretty obviously nonsense, you can easily dry out meat when braising it so a steam/bag wouldn't keep you from cooking the meat to too high a temperature.

But I think the one benefit we got from it was they did that instead of basting the turkey, so the breast didn't get cooked as quickly or to as high a temperature as what they used to do without a bag.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Not pouting, just pointing out that if they want to make the best turkey they have to deep fry that mother fucker. That’s the answer. Copping out to “deep fryer ain’t in a kitchen” is dumb.

this goes back to the problem with superlatives. THE BEST turkey would probably also be raised with an acre of land to itself, or be wild. telling people who don't have access to those kinds of birds that they're SOL and to not bother is just as dumb as saying "if you don't have 15 gallons of peanut oil, a kettle, and a 40-foot circle of bare ground, don't bother".

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

OMGVBFLOL posted:

this goes back to the problem with superlatives. THE BEST turkey would probably also be raised with an acre of land to itself, or be wild. telling people who don't have access to those kinds of birds that they're SOL and to not bother is just as dumb as saying "if you don't have 15 gallons of peanut oil, a kettle, and a 40-foot circle of bare ground, don't bother".

They actually did a field raised heritage bird and they didn’t like it because it was 160 dollars and too gamey.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Croatoan posted:

This may be a stupid question but I just learned that people use oven bags. Can someone explain why you would use one? What do they do?

Personally I use them for brining turkeys. I've never once actually cooked in one.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

idk about the big picture but what's always kept me from trying a goose for a holiday meal is that it costs like an order of magnitude more than a turkey

Plus they have a lot less meat than a Turkey. I'll cook a goose if I can afford it and if just me and the missus. Not for the vaster horde.

Cavenagh fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 18, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cavenagh posted:

Plus they have a lot less meat than a Turkey. I'll cook a goose if I can afford it and if just me and the missus. Not for the vaster horde.

On this, is swan any good? Is it just like bigger goose?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I would imagine that the extreme amount of hate that each swan carries would render the meat unpalatable.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Goose is good, but it's not a great choice if you have to feed more than 3-4 people because geese don't scale up like turkeys - once they hit about 12 pounds I think, the amount of meat is maxed out, any extra weight after that is just fat, and a 12 pound goose does not have as much meat as a turkey of the same weight. So if you want to feed a larger group you either need to cook two geese, or have another main dish of equal size.

I roast turkey every Christmas and it's not dry but I think that's because I don't need to cook an enormous bird - mine are normally around 14 pounds. I'd say keeping the breastmeat edible is a lot harder if you have to roast a 20+ pound bird. Also a meat thermometer is a complete gamechanger -the last three years we've used one, and every time the bird has hit the right temperature nearly an hour earlier than the recipe predicted it would. If it'd been left in for the full time it would have been sawdust.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

They actually did a field raised heritage bird and they didn’t like it because it was 160 dollars and too gamey.

oh so kinda like a goose

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

No Wave posted:

Oven bags arent used in professional kitchens so I'll assume they dont add much value.

Yeah, they have a CVAP.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/SamSykesSwears/status/1185780904922189824

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

lol as prepackaged costumes go that's pretty funny

e: you'd still need to do the hair somehow, either bleach your actual hair or find some sort of wig

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
This discussion is kinda funny to me because the perfect pizza recipe is incredibly loving fussy to the point I looked at the ingredient list once and I noped out immediately. A $1000 countertop pizza oven is also required. Did the turkey one realize that was really silly to have in a recipe?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

AnonSpore posted:

This discussion is kinda funny to me because the perfect pizza recipe is incredibly loving fussy to the point I looked at the ingredient list once and I noped out immediately. A $1000 countertop pizza oven is also required. Did the turkey one realize that was really silly to have in a recipe?

Yes they just use an oven, even though fryers are clearly superior.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Grits are underappreciated. I know they are more commonly eaten here in the southern US but you should really try them if you have not. Regardless, I want to be able to have grits at work so I have purchased an "instant grit" variety pack. I have not tried them yet. Have I made a huge mistake? I'm betting I have. I just don't have a way to boil grits for 7 minutes at work. I suppose I could make them at home and warm them at work but that takes planning ahead and well, I'm bad at that.

Also, if you already like grits, try them with smoked gruyere cheese in them, it's amazing.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

If I want a porridge without any nutritional value of note I'll stick to congee. Grits can go sit in the corner and think about how they wish they were polenta.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Polenta sucks too

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Croatoan posted:

Grits are underappreciated. I know they are more commonly eaten here in the southern US but you should really try them if you have not. Regardless, I want to be able to have grits at work so I have purchased an "instant grit" variety pack. I have not tried them yet. Have I made a huge mistake? I'm betting I have. I just don't have a way to boil grits for 7 minutes at work. I suppose I could make them at home and warm them at work but that takes planning ahead and well, I'm bad at that.

Also, if you already like grits, try them with smoked gruyere cheese in them, it's amazing.

No self-respecting Southerner uses instant grits!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

esperantinc posted:

100% this

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I bet it's all watery and sad

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012IC1A60/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had some success with making grits in a vacuum flask, using it as a sort of slow cooker. Before leaving for work, I'll put in my grits or steel cut oats, and then boil water in the kettle. I'll pour the water in and seal it up, and then the grits/oats cook while I'm commuting to work. I just add in a little butter, salt and pepper when I get into work and whisk it in with a fork, then swap out to a spoon for eating.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

esperantinc posted:

What is a yute?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Croatoan posted:

Instant or quick grits are fine. They'll be a little better with precise control of consistency if you use the regular ones but I'd much rather eat quick grits than no grits so if you've got them go nuts.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sextro posted:

If I want a porridge without any nutritional value of note I'll stick to congee. Grits can go sit in the corner and think about how they wish they were polenta.

This is a very low quality opinion and should not be tolerated.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

That Works posted:

Instant or quick grits are fine. They'll be a little better with precise control of consistency if you use the regular ones but I'd much rather eat quick grits than no grits so if you've got them go nuts.

I usually do quick grits. I've tried making stone ground grits and for the extra 40 minutes to cook them they were basically the same. I was honestly very disappointed. I am glad to hear that the instant grits may not suck (I still expect them to TBH!)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This is a very low quality opinion and should not be tolerated.

I have to agree with Wiggles here. Grits are loving awesome.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eat Cream of Wheat. Live fast. Die young.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

What is a yute?

:golfclap:

I got the reference too. Such a good film.

And polenta is delicious! Especially if unctuous with olive oil and butter.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Instant grits are fine. Add less milk/water if you like them thicker.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Eat Cream of Wheat. Live fast. Die young.

Yep, big fan, especially with some baker's honey stirred in. It really plays well with the wheat flavor.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

AnonSpore posted:

They have to draw the line somewhere of what is easily reproducible, I guess. Dropping a grand on a pizza oven sure seems like a big ask, but if you compare it to a scenario where you're stuck living in an apartment and buying a house with a yard is a financial impossibility and therefore deep frying a turkey is literally impossible, then buying a fancy indoor gadget doesn't seem all that unreasonable if you're looking to make the "perfect" X.

Anyways this weekend I'm having a "summer camp" movie night where I'm serving beanie-weanies, cornbread, and s'mores bars and watching camp related horror movies (Friday the 13th, The Burning, etc..), anybody got any other ideas? Bug juice?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Sleepaway camp

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

No Wave posted:

Sleepaway camp

It's in the "maybe" column because I've watched it fairly recently. Are any of the sequels any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Human Tornada posted:

Anyways this weekend I'm having a "summer camp" movie night where I'm serving beanie-weanies, cornbread, and s'mores bars and watching camp related horror movies (Friday the 13th, The Burning, etc..), anybody got any other ideas? Bug juice?

Evil Dead 2.