Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godamn Republicans are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzbO5P9JJ1U

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Godamn Politicians are terrible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ded posted:

At a minimum they should have clearances revoked. gently caress those guys.

Members of congress don’t have clearances, access is set by house or senate rules.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Proud Christian Mom posted:

No, they shouldn't.

Edit: Do they even have clearance? The Executive obviously can't be trusted to oversee the clearances of the branch responsible for oversight.

Nope. Being elected to federal office pretty much sidesteps the process, and the executive branch can bypass it for their employees by executive order. From a 2016 CRS summary:

quote:

Are Constitutional Officers (e.g., the President, Members of Congress) Required to Hold a Security Clearance to Access Classified Information?

Security clearances are not mandated for the President, Vice President, Members of Congress, Supreme Court Justices, or other constitutional officers. The criteria for election or appointment to these positions are specified in the U.S. Constitution, and except by constitutional amendment, no additional criteria (e.g., holding a security clearance) may be required. Further, “by tradition and practice, United States officials who hold positions prescribed by the Constitution of the United States are deemed to meet the standards of trustworthiness for eligibility for access to classified information.”

Additionally, as Commander-in-Chief, the President has the authority to establish the standards for access to classified national security information. This authority is typically exercised through the issuance of executive orders. Executive Order 13467, which covers suitability checks and security clearances for federal employees, applicants, and contractors, includes a determination of which executive branch individuals are covered and which are exempted.

‘Covered individual’ means a person who performs work for or on behalf of the executive branch, or who seeks to perform work for or on behalf of the executive branch, but does not include:

(i) the President or (except to the extent otherwise directed by the President) employees of the President under section 105 or 107 of title 3, United States Code; or

(ii) the Vice President or (except to the extent otherwise directed by the Vice President) employees of the Vice President under section 106 of title 3 or annual legislative branch appropriation acts.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 24, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I had no idea you lurked GiP too, my goone

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Congressional access to classified information is kinda... weird, to put it lightly.

Generally speaking, the super secret poo poo only gets briefed to the Gang of 8 or in the case of the most controlled classified topics it’s just the majority/minority leaders, there are virtually nothing written about these disclosures, staffers do not participate and it’s more or less all oral.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1187131335237865473?s=19

It is cool that we're back on the only true service is done by CHUDs

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Everyone knows Lindsay Graham’s service is the pinnacle of Military Service. 1 day a year and made LTC.

Also FL Gov. DeSantos would not shut up about his service during the governor’s election, going on and on about his time in the “sand box.” He was also a naval reservist who joined right before jumping into politics, I wonder if Rs consider him fake. Probably not since he gargles Trumps balls.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9I-UgVDkVc

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Nick Soapdish posted:

I've legit had people call me a fake veteran because I want to limit firearm ownership.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
nvm

e: Just saying you're a better guy than me

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

i mean pete would have been 18 or 19 during 9/11 but didn't deploy until 2014 yet loves to crow about his military service which is dumb as hell when you have dems and republicans that lost body parts in service to this country and they bring it up less than he does

Also senators and congressmen shouldn't be allowed to be in the reserves. I don't know how retirement works in the reserves but if they are 50% towards retirement and get elected then they get discharged and get retirement pay but at a 50% rate

PookBear fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 24, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

i mean pete would have been 18 or 19 during 9/11 but didn't deploy until 2014 yet loves to crow about his military service which is dumb as hell when you have dems and republicans that lost body parts in service to this country and they bring it up less than he does

god dammit am i the same age as bootybutts

i was 17 on 9/11 and i turned 21 in country, but w/e.

serving is serving

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Also senators and congressmen shouldn't be allowed to be in the reserves. I don't know how retirement works in the reserves but if they are 50% towards retirement and get elected then they get discharged and get retirement pay but at a 50% rate

Nobody brings up their military service more than people who served in the mid 90s.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Nick Soapdish posted:

Tons of nerds on the left call it a "resume builder" or whatever so this isn't anything new. Pop into C-SPAM.

edit:

Like this dipshit who thinks failing to enlist immediately during the 9/11 BROWNFOLK MURDER BONER days, instead of later on when it became clear we needed to self-correct internationally, is somehow a bad thing:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

god dammit am i the same age as bootybutts

i was 17 on 9/11 and i turned 21 in country, but w/e.

serving is serving

doing some sort of public service such as being in the military, being a firefighter, being a teacher, being a public defender or having a proven track record from holding state/local office is the bare minimum for me to consider someone a candidate.

Do I respect pete for deploying in 2014? yeah. However, he comes across as being owed something for it while he is running for the highest elected position in the country.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
On the other hand, Hannity is a chickenhawk torture enthusiast so he can shut his drat mouth.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

Tons of nerds on the left call it a "resume builder" or whatever so this isn't anything new. Pop into C-SPAM.

edit:

Like this dipshit who thinks failing to enlist immediately during the 9/11 BROWNFOLK MURDER BONER days, instead of later on when it became clear we needed to self-correct internationally, is somehow a bad thing:

Victor I like to talk poo poo about you for fun but I respect you for joining back before the lies were fully understood than I do someone who went to harvard and then oxford before joining the reserves in order to give himself a shot at being mayor

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
:smith: Guess I'm a fake vet or something then, 2009 joined.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Victor I like to talk poo poo about you for fun but I respect you for joining back before the lies were fully understood than I do someone who went to harvard and then oxford before joining the reserves in order to give himself a shot at being mayor

I didn't enlist until the surge. I was in my mid 20's and did nothing since 9/11 but consume books on the invasion and mismanagement of the occupation.

I know nothing about Mayor Pete's service beyond that he served. I am just wary of anyone who gets discounted for putting on a uniform when it's unpopular (clearly).

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Stultus Maximus posted:

On the other hand, Hannity is a chickenhawk torture enthusiast so he can shut his drat mouth.

Yeah it's this.

Like I never served in any capacity so take my words with a grain of salt (and I appreciate those here I've chatted with about it who told me I made the right call that I didn't commission instead of being stupid about it), but I think Buttigieg does lean a little too hard into his "Yeah, I served. Oh no, don't thank me. Let us thank America for letting me serve" routine. Yeah, serving is serving, but I think in regards to the left's reactions to Buttigeigs service, it's mostly people getting tired of the "I served, therefore, I am more qualified and you cannot discount that at all" routine we've all had to deal with for so many loving years.

One of my close friends is a Marine infantry officer who's pretty liberal and he groans every time he hears it. It's pretty hard to argue it wasn't purely a resume builder move when he mentions it all the loving time.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

People who were in can groan at Buttigieg's record.

Sean Hannity, who has never faced a day of hardship in his life, can suck he own dick.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

sean hannitys gonna give you a fat lip buddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXAXG5nwNIU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Politicians playing up their service like it entitles them to public office is eyeroll worthy, but I do wish the Dems would do a better job of recruiting and highlighting the experiences of veterans who run for public office.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

Politicians playing up their service like it entitles them to public office is eyeroll worthy, but I do wish the Dems would do a better job of recruiting and highlighting the experiences of veterans who run for public office.

Then you get LtCol Amy "I support Kavanah" McGrath, USMC Ret.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Handsome Ralph posted:

One of my close friends is a Marine infantry officer who's pretty liberal and he groans every time he hears it. It's pretty hard to argue it wasn't purely a resume builder move when he mentions it all the loving time.

Also his battle rattle NIACT pic is just super lol.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean she’s still better than Moscow Mitch. Not Mitch is probably the best we can expect from Kentucky.

https://twitter.com/just_security/status/1187352126340644864?s=21 :trumppop:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I liked Jim KILLED A MAN IN NAM Webb!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t48MyL5QdAc&t=68s

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

I think this is due to the extremely credential-oriented upper middle class people who make up the Dem establishment think the higher rank you are, the better soldier you must have been. So they keep swooping up the officer class even though military officers today are mostly extremely conservative.

Also the Dem establishment cannot conceptualize interacting with someone who didn't graduate from college (preferably an elite one)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'm absolutely not ever voting for a loving officer who joined after 2006 when it was crystal clear what a poo poo show we were making

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CommieGIR posted:

:smith: Guess I'm a fake vet or something then, 2009 joined.

That's not why you're a fake vet. You're a fake vet because you're not a white republican

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
:vince:

https://twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1187103742971273219

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmesVxNoo5E

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ahahahaha

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lol

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I was going to go with "idgi", but I guess it's an Epstein slam?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/dallasnews/status/1187128314042957825?s=19

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Funker530 made fun of Trump on Facebook, check out the glorious comments. Love it when chuds get their little safe spaces violated.

https://www.facebook.com/FUNKER530/photos/a.566899443361696/2693650940686525/?type=3&theater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Eminem’s lyrics in the song kamikaze reference a visit from the secret service. A reporter FOIAed it and it’s true. Someone complained that he threatened to kill trump in a song and they actually went to him to talk about it.