Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

hey remember that time that we made stealing people's houses legal so these guys could make good on their gambling debts, and in so doing wiped out 80% of all black wealth in America?

sure is a good thing that solved the problem forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

Wait, from 50?

538 says that's 37% when you take into account their bias.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Matt Gaetz has had at least one affair with a staffer, which was so blatant people were asking her to take all the pictures of her in a bikini off instagram because they'd be besides pictures with him.

There are quite a few rumors percolating around. He's basically Duncan Hunter but he doesn't get drunk at lunch.

He knows that's probably about to come down on him as well.

Charlz Guybon posted:

538 says that's 37% when you take into account their bias.

Yeah but just from them that's a seven point swing in a week. That's nuts.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Charlz Guybon posted:

What do they expect him to do.

You'd think they'd be bashing McConnell the most for saying there will be a trial

They want him to hold hearings and call friendly witnesses and that sort of poo poo.

Graham, presumably, is declining because he originally was going to do that, starting with Rudy Guliani, and boy that turned out to be a loving terrible idea that he is trying to memory-hole.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tuff Scrote posted:

I agree with my concern about a too broad impeachment inquiry, but there is some low hanging fruit here with emoluments clause violations and his tax returns that will keep the GOP on his toes and Trump in a Twitter fury. We already see how much Trump digs his own grave at the absolute worst moments. Keeping up the heat with issues that voters understand is a good strategy, IMO.

The enoulments clause violations are at pretty advanced stages of litigation and likely to go before the Supreme Court soon, so it would be dangerous to include those and then have a 5-4 majority say that under the original intent of the founders, "enoulments" means "a jewel of precisely 69.420 carats, and nothing else whatsoever" and find that trump has not accepted any such jewels.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

evilweasel posted:

i can't recall where i saw it, but i thought i saw a study relatively recently that showed 40 hours seemed to be the actual best workweek productivity-wise. basically, as people work more per week their productivity per hour goes down, but obviously there is a point where working less hours decreases your "output" more than increasing your efficiency for the remaining hours can make up for), and that seemed to show a maximum total worker productivity around 40 hours. i.e. you work 35 hours, you'll probably produce less per week; but if you work 45 hours you probably will also produce less per week.

but the obvious question is, what's the cause and effect - did we wind up at a default of 40 hours because through trial and error that's turned out to be best, or is it that because 40 hours is the 'default' that sets expectations around what makes you happy and what you have, over time, been trained to optimize for as a worker?

The research into this is actually pretty complex and there's a lot of conflicting information. It's also going to depend on how you want to define productivity, what specific aspects of productivity you want to emphasize, the type of work being performed, and plenty of other factors.

That said, I don't think that there's a ton of research that actually shows that 40 hours is "ideal" in any way. There's some work that shows that productivity goes over a cliff after 50 hours and there's strong evidence that people tend to be much happier with work weeks in the 30-38 hour range, so I think the consensus is that having work days that are at least shorter (if only marginally) than 8 hours is a good thing

Basically, it doesn't seem like 40 hours is really perfect or good in any sense. We just lucked into a work week that isn't too horrendously harmful in either direction.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Paradoxish posted:

downtowns definitely exist so this is not ideal

Also, that's loving horrifying if that summary is even remotely accurate.

It’s not. The summary is “Bank revenue not growing fast enough so they’re becoming less profitable.” Downturn is relevant because it would further hit bank profitability. The source document doesn’t indicate That there’s a solvency concern.

Also this is mostly concerning banks in the emerging markets.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

FizFashizzle posted:

Matt Gaetz has had at least one affair with a staffer, which was so blatant people were asking her to take all the pictures of her in a bikini off instagram because they'd be besides pictures with him.

There are quite a few rumors percolating around. He's basically Duncan Hunter but he doesn't get drunk at lunch.

He knows that's probably about to come down on him as well.

Yeah but just from them that's a seven point swing in a week. That's nuts.

Yeah, they went from 50% total approval on 10/16 to 43% today. "Strongly Approve" also dropped from 37% to 32%, and "Strongly Disapprove" climbed from 40% to 45%.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I think there's room to throw Emoluments/the tax records/whatever on the articles of impeachment if they are finished in time, but the Ukrainian investigation is going at a break neck pace. If they come back from the Thanksgiving break ready to vote for articles, I think holding things up would be a mistake.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

evilweasel posted:

i can't recall where i saw it, but i thought i saw a study relatively recently that showed 40 hours seemed to be the actual best workweek productivity-wise. basically, as people work more per week their productivity per hour goes down, but obviously there is a point where working less hours decreases your "output" more than increasing your efficiency for the remaining hours can make up for), and that seemed to show a maximum total worker productivity around 40 hours. i.e. you work 35 hours, you'll probably produce less per week; but if you work 45 hours you probably will also produce less per week.

but the obvious question is, what's the cause and effect - did we wind up at a default of 40 hours because through trial and error that's turned out to be best, or is it that because 40 hours is the 'default' that sets expectations around what makes you happy and what you have, over time, been trained to optimize for as a worker?
As a physical laborer at UPS, 8 hours is roughly the amount of time I'm operating at 80-100% physical efficiency assuming the work is not just a total shitshow from the word go. Around 9 hours and my feet and arms start to get sore, 10 I start to really drag my feet, 11+ is zombie mode and I'm basically useless, AND will drastically affect my performance the next day. And I'm pretty fit compared to many of my coworkers. This efficiency degrades over the course of the week as I am gradually physically worn down, so by Friday I'm running at probably half stamina overall. A three day weekend, in purely business efficiency terms, would result in me getting enough rest to just absolutely steamroll through at least Monday and Tuesday at maximum efficiency and still be going strong by the end of Thursday, but two days just doesn't give my body enough time to reset before going back under the millstone at work and so generally by Wednesday I'm close to burnout for the week. UPS would never offer that sort of thing though, least not while we've got the amazon contract still.

This thought process of workers working better when not under constant duress and overworking doesn't penetrate the thick skulls of upper management in most places, however, which is a huge problem in this country.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hey remember not too long ago when this thread was shiting on anyone who was trying to warn that the next economic collapse was going to be massive because none of those 2008 era problems had actually been solved?

The next economic crisis is going to be 2x-3x the size of the 2008 crisis- and on the other end of it either there's a fascist America or a progressive America waiting for us all.

There really won't be any middle ground on this one.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

ROFL Rasmussen has Trump down to 43% approval rating. That’s umm, not good.

Working hard, thank you!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Paradoxish posted:

The research into this is actually pretty complex and there's a lot of conflicting information. It's also going to depend on how you want to define productivity, what specific aspects of productivity you want to emphasize, the type of work being performed, and plenty of other factors.

That said, I don't think that there's a ton of research that actually shows that 40 hours is "ideal" in any way. There's some work that shows that productivity goes over a cliff after 50 hours and there's strong evidence that people tend to be much happier with work weeks in the 30-38 hour range, so I think the consensus is that having work days that are at least shorter (if only marginally) than 8 hours is a good thing

Basically, it doesn't seem like 40 hours is really perfect or good in any sense. We just lucked into a work week that isn't too horrendously harmful in either direction.

People literally died for a shorter work week, but okay, sure, we just "lucked" into it via the invisible hand or whatever. :shrug:

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

no one actually gives a poo poo. It literally only is working for the Fox News crowd and they'd stay with Trump even if a video of him raping and murdering a child came out so who gives a gently caress about them

Well if you check that child’s social media accounts you can clearly see he was no angel...

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Paradoxish posted:

An 8-hour work day means you can run 3 shifts and your factory never has to stop running. That's it, that's how we got to it.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

evilweasel posted:

lol even loyal fuehertrooper mark meadows is throwing a little bit of shade at trump suggesting that if he's upset perhaps he shouldn't have hosed that chicken so hard that he lost the house

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1187379052010708993

The most depressing point here is he's not chastising him for breaking the law, he's chastising him for not keeping a majority so they could just ignore it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

to be clear, i think the study i was talking about was from the perspective of the employer, not the employee (who doesn't really give much of a drat about productivity). i 100% believe an employee working 30 hours a week is happier than one working 40 hours a week, provided it's not a 25% pay cut to do so.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Wylie posted:

An 8-hour work day means you can run 3 shifts and your factory never has to stop running. That's it, that's how we got to it.
Unions also pushed it because "8 hours to work, 8 hours to sleep, and 8 hours to live" was a catchy logo that resonated. I'll see if I can find the Wobbly pamphlet I'm thinking of specifically.

This was the image I was thinking of, but I don't think it's actually Wobbly and might not be contemporary

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 24, 2019

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Tibalt posted:

I think there's room to throw Emoluments/the tax records/whatever on the articles of impeachment if they are finished in time, but the Ukrainian investigation is going at a break neck pace. If they come back from the Thanksgiving break ready to vote for articles, I think holding things up would be a mistake.

House can always impeach him separately for the other things. Trump extorting Ukraine is such a straightforward article it makes sense to get it out there now and work on the rest over time if they need to.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sure, bring on the Second Great Depression. Why not.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tibalt posted:

Unions also pushed it because "8 hours to work, 8 hours to sleep, and 8 hours to live" was a catchy logo that resonated. I'll see if I can find the Wobbly pamphlet I'm thinking of specifically.

iirc though getting to 40 hours also required expanding the weekend from just sunday to saturday and sunday, it's not purely an 8 hour thing

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wylie posted:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Retro42 posted:

House can always impeach him separately for the other things. Trump extorting Ukraine is such a straightforward article it makes sense to get it out there now and work on the rest over time if they need to.
Sure, nothing is stopping them, but I think sending further articles after the first impeachment trial ends in acquittal seems pretty suspect, politically. But we're in uncharted waters, so who knows.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Charlz Guybon posted:

What do they expect him to do.

You'd think they'd be bashing McConnell the most for saying there will be a trial

Trump may not be a 12th dimension chess player, but he knows how to keep Graham in line, and that's to dunk his head in the toilet every chance he gets. Lindsay Graham is Starscream or that guy with the 3-D glasses in Biff Tannen's gang, you don't keep your evil toadies in line by letting them develop self respect.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

Hey remember not too long ago when this thread was shiting on anyone who was trying to warn that the next economic collapse was going to be massive because none of those 2008 era problems had actually been solved?

No? Pretty much everyone in this thread is of the opinion the recession is already here, it's just being masked by some systemic factors, market manipulation, and outright lies by the Trump administration.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DrNutt posted:

People literally died for a shorter work week, but okay, sure, we just "lucked" into it via the invisible hand or whatever. :shrug:

I think you're seriously misinterpreting what I'm saying. That part about "luck" had nothing to do with how the work week was established. I'm saying that none of this data was available when we arrived at a 40-hour work week, it just so happens that 40 hours is both not horrendously bad or wildly good.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 24, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1187022153599897601

This sixth grader was resisting arrest. A loving sixth grader. What do cops do when a toddler fails to peekaboo? They must live in so much fear...

This motherfucker deserves to have both his knees broken.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FizFashizzle posted:

No? Pretty much everyone in this thread is of the opinion the recession is already here, it's just being masked by some systemic factors, market manipulation, and outright lies by the Trump administration.

We told PJ that she didn't have unique insight into the size of the next recession, which is still true regardless of the size of the next recession.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Rincewinds posted:

What if they remove the CEO bonuses?

But then why have banks???

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rincewinds posted:

What if they remove the CEO bonuses?

How do you expect to attract talent if you only give CEOs 7 figure salaries, corner offices, access to company car(s) and driver(s), free helicopter rides, and a private jet? I mean what idiot would take that offer?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Prester Jane posted:

This motherfucker deserves to have both his knees broken.

There should really be some national database or very well know aggregator that keeps records of these guys for quick reference and a 'never forget' kind of campaign. The only true justice that's ever going to be leveraged against them is total social ostracization.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/luulubuu/status/1187378809693200389

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do you expect to attract talent if you only give CEOs 7 figure salaries, corner offices, access to company car(s) and driver(s), free helicopter rides, and a private jet? I mean what idiot would take that offer?

How about 2 harems!? I dunno man, just spit-balling. There has to be some solution.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

What's interesting about the article itself is that it seems to be focusing more on how newer entrants into the financial services industry are displacing banks, one example cited being Amazon with credit cards. They then end it less as a warning about the fragility of the economy but rather a warning that the banks need to "innovate."

However, the article to me misses two glaring issues. One is how banks are unable to make their core business functions (like lending for mortgages, cars, etc.) profitable. If those things aren't profitable, they either the banks are structurally unsound and are a major liability in a downturn (bad) or that the economy is severely distorted by something - probably a mix of the excess capital trying to find an investment home and legal/corporate frameworks written to cater to to the rich - which means the entire economic order is a liability in a downturn (really bad).

The second issue is how will a bunch of startups and tech firms trying to squeeze into the financial sector fare during a downturn. We saw in 2008 that over-leveraged banks and financial firms fared very poorly and were unable to adapt without massive bailouts, and these were long-standing institutions with a lot of "experience" to work with. How do we suppose Silicon Valley startups trying to do IT wiz-banking will fare when things start blowing up? It's like termites eating at a wooden structure, taking bits and pieces out but without replacing it with any sturdy replacement. Once the weakened financial structure starts getting stressed, more of them might fall due to weaknesses from competition and the new guys being unable to cope.

Mostly speculation at this point, but the idea of 2008 being repeated, but now with Silicon Valley IT guys and Amazon added into the mix does not sound good at all.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

There was a lot of back and forth about how big a recession would be, greater or less than 2008.

Personally I wasn't trying to poo poo on anyone, but I stand by my belief that 2008 was 1.) An incredibly bad recession and really should have been called the The 2nd Great Depression and 2.) Car loans and student debt isn't going to crater the economy like finance-entagled mortgages did.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

re: what happened yesterday

https://twitter.com/K8brannen/status/1187362999318859776
https://twitter.com/K8brannen/status/1187386419754520578

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nice

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1187389630271934464

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

DandyLion posted:

How about 2 harems!? I dunno man, just spit-balling. There has to be some solution.

We are clearly too dumb and lazy to figure out the solution to this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Parody is dead