Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does lower perception make dark areas pitch black or something? I went into an area of the book store early in the game, and my flashlight would illuminate very little of the scene and I didn't find hardly anything. Went back two in-game days later and while it was dark, I could actually see and my flashlight was much more effective. In the time between both visits, my perception had been increased on level up and with clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Spoilers pertaining to the endgame: When you first step out of the Whirling in rags, you can ask Kim if he thinks the case is mysterious. One of the convo options is that it's a Sex-Murder with a dark twist. Holy poo poo this fuckin' game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Does lower perception make dark areas pitch black or something? I went into an area of the book store early in the game, and my flashlight would illuminate very little of the scene and I didn't find hardly anything. Went back two in-game days later and while it was dark, I could actually see and my flashlight was much more effective. In the time between both visits, my perception had been increased on level up and with clothing.

I think that might be a bug. I had that happen to me with the attic area of the bookstore the first time I went up there (the very back part by the chimney door), and when I came back shortly after I hadn't changed my Perception at all but my flashlight worked.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nordick posted:

One of the very first things I did in this game was succeeding in the 3% roll to get rid of The Expression.

I managed that for punching Measure Head right in the throat. The followup wasn't so great, but I'm amazed that suckerpunch worked.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Harrow posted:

I think that might be a bug. I had that happen to me with the attic area of the bookstore the first time I went up there (the very back part by the chimney door), and when I came back shortly after I hadn't changed my Perception at all but my flashlight worked.

Yea, that's the area I'm talking about. Once I got up that short flight of stairs, I thought it was supposed to represent my character stumbling around in the dark, and I missed drat near everything back there.

Edit: Also, I'm 16 hours in and barely halfway through Day 3. Folks who finished this game in 12 hours are speedfreaks.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, that's the area I'm talking about. Once I got up that short flight of stairs, I thought it was supposed to represent my character stumbling around in the dark, and I missed drat near everything back there.

Edit: Also, I'm 16 hours in and barely halfway through Day 3. Folks who finished this game in 12 hours are speedfreaks.

Yeah it took me 24 hours for a pretty completionist run and I’m a very quick reader. I may have left the title screen open/paused a couple times to pad that, but nothing ridiculous.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I don't think it's ever specified, I guess they were just on bad terms. The task isn't as much about scaring the guy as it is about Evrart wanting to show everyone that he can boss an RCM detective around anyway, it's a trivial task. He's all about the power plays.

Rene is just an old weirdo, nobody takes him seriously. There's no reason for Evrart to mess with him.

I remember Evrart telling me that Gary sometimes writes for some kind of fascist newsletter and that he had written an article about how Evrart was a corrupt slimeball that happened to contain a lot of actual truth underneath the surface level "gently caress commies" rhetoric, after I admitted to Evrart that I'd searched through his apartment after unlocking it. I don't know if that was a lie, but I had solid Drama and it never piped up.

As for Rene, the guy seems to be the exact kind of mean, hateful, old bastard that everyone can't help but at least sort of feel bad for. Even Dros seems to have had a soft spot for him even though he spent the past few decades looking at him through a rifle-scope and thinking about shooting him. When you tell him that Rene died of old age he seems genuinely heartbroken. The guy's a fixture of his community and even if he's a right-winger in a town of communists and a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone, you still wouldn't want to see him end up living on the street.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, I actually managed to fail a 97% roll :stonklol:.

snake eyes baby

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So for my second run I'm going to play a dude whose mostly a brawny guy who solves problems with a glare. I'm going to play it as hardcore as possible, with no savescumming red skill checks. I'm telling you guys so it must be true.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

cock hero flux posted:

I remember Evrart telling me that Gary sometimes writes for some kind of fascist newsletter and that he had written an article about how Evrart was a corrupt slimeball that happened to contain a lot of actual truth underneath the surface level "gently caress commies" rhetoric, after I admitted to Evrart that I'd searched through his apartment after unlocking it. I don't know if that was a lie, but I had solid Drama and it never piped up.

I never went into the apartment at all - not even doing that and reloading before going to see Evrart, so when he asked me what I saw in the apartment, I had to figure out what the right answer was. Thankfully, it was easy to guess - not "full of pro-union propaganda", obviously. The other answer "full of ANTI-union material" was wrong because it was TOO obvious to be the right answer. A liar who hadn't gone in would probably say that thinking that's what Evrart wanted to hear. Which left only the middle option - full of fascist and old royalist propaganda.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Did anyone here take off the expression and stand by it? Does anyone say anything? I decided early on it was a fearsome shield against a painful world and shouldn't be discarded.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Caidin posted:

Did anyone here take off the expression and stand by it? Does anyone say anything? I decided early on it was a fearsome shield against a painful world and shouldn't be discarded.

I'm on day three and can't even wipe off the mirror.

Skill spread is 2/6/2/2

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Mister Bates posted:

the game does its best at emulating that tabletop RPG feel but it is ultimately a computer game and whenever you exhaust its limited set of responses you can occasionally end up frustratingly stonewalled at a place where a human GM would be smart enough to realize you're stumped and present some kind of alternate path for you

actually, is there a tabletop version of this rules system out yet?

I'd be down to buy a ruleset/lore book of this game's world. And the old book Kurvitz wrote, if it ever gets translated.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Caidin posted:

I took it off the evening of Day 2 by somehow managing to pass that very low EC check. I felt leaving it off was appropriate for my Sorry Cop. I don't know any way to bring it back, but even though I took it off, I was still able to use it in conversation later on. (Maybe you only get that option if you took it off?)

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Fat Samurai posted:

My kimono, cowboy hat, stolen medal and combat boots are *disco* as gently caress.

Ya it is disco. I just mean having all the bonuses encourages you to back out of conversations and switch outfits to get the best roll. It is distracting.

I just beat the game. I didn't realize how close I was to the end looking for Ruby. I assumed there would be a bigger overarching conflict of the union vs the corp that I would need to get more involved with that I would uncover more shady dealings. The union boss was such a large character I was sure I would be running into him again. What was in the rhetoric check container? I tried to go back after the shootout but I couldn't access it. Also the bunker door. Ending felt kind of rushed, overall. Kind of lame that it wasn't anybody who did it just some random guy an island over. Also the phasmid thing wtf.

My theory was that the pale is the player. It starts small then the pale white dude playing the game consumed it until he never turned it on again. And the club Disco Elysium is just this one game and it spreads consuming and never turning on games again. I thought the game was going somewhere with that.

Edit: Steam says i have 24 hours in the game. The first 4 were trying out different builds for the first 20 minutes in the hostel over and over to see what I liked. Really short.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 24, 2019

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Least not how I'm doing it.

Download CheatEngine. Someone mentioned it comes with spyware, but it’s just one of those semihidden “do you want to install a toolbar” thing, so pay attention. Start both the game and Cheatengine, click on the magnifier glass in Cheatengine and select the game in the list of processes that pops up.

Our objective is to give you infinite stat points, by finding all the values in game that match the number of free points you have and then changing it and see which values in game change to match it.

Start a new game, create your own detective. Give yourself 4-5 free pips by lowering stats ingame.

Go to cheatengine. Put the number of free points you have in the “new search” box and hit intro. You’ll get a list of values in game that match the one you’ve entered. Now go back to the game, put or remove a point somewhere and insert the new value in CheatEngine. Hit “Next search” and the of posible values will shrink to those that started as your original number of free stat points and then have changed to your current number of free stat points.

Repeat the process a couple of times until you end up with 2-3 values that follow your number of free skill points. Double click those in cheat engine so they appear in the big box (all of them, one is the one we're looking for, the others probably have something to do with UI display, but doing the following with all of them won't break anything). Tick the small white box besides that value, now it’s fixed no matter what you do ingame. You can also modify the number if you’ve ended with a value of 0.

Go to the game, make every stat Great (again). Once you’ve finished, untick the values. It shouldn’t influence anything, but just in case.

You can do the same with skills the moment you get a level. Probably better once you hit level three so you can play with values 0-2 instead of 0-1.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 24, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

actually, is there a tabletop version of this rules system out yet?

I bet you could use the Forged in the Dark framework (the generic version of the Blades in the Dark tabletop game) to make a very good tabletop game in Disco Elysium's world. DE's actual dice mechanics are sort of like Apocalypse World (2d6+modifier) but with moving target numbers, while Forged in the Dark uses dice pools, but everything else would very easily translate to Forged in the Dark. You could even have Thought Cabinet thoughts replace the class-based abilities most Forged in the Dark games have, and use the built-in time management systems for how long it takes to internalize thoughts.

Forged in the Dark games even have a similar system for damage, where you can take both physical and mental damage and you can be taken out of the game by either one.

There's an SRD for the game's core mechanics here if you're curious: https://bladesinthedark.com/

(Also Blades in the Dark is a kickass RPG in its own right--it's designed for playing a band of thieves, assassins, or smugglers in a world heavily inspired by Dishonored and The Lies of Locke Lamora.)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

cock hero flux posted:

As for Rene, the guy seems to be the exact kind of mean, hateful, old bastard that everyone can't help but at least sort of feel bad for. Even Dros seems to have had a soft spot for him even though he spent the past few decades looking at him through a rifle-scope and thinking about shooting him. When you tell him that Rene died of old age he seems genuinely heartbroken. The guy's a fixture of his community and even if he's a right-winger in a town of communists and a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone, you still wouldn't want to see him end up living on the street.

My personal interpretation of why the deserter took Rene's death so seriously is that it made him finally realize he's a thing of the past. A constant in his life, something that anchored him to his reality suddenly disappeared, and it broke down one of his barriers.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Broken Cog posted:

My personal interpretation of why the deserter took Rene's death so seriously is that it made him finally realize he's a thing of the past. A constant in his life, something that anchored him to his reality suddenly disappeared, and it broke down one of his barriers.

and, to a degree, he was the one thing he could qualify as an enemy, the other side, in the same sort of black and white that he had.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm not even sure how that's possible. I started out with 4 INT and 4 MOT and never hit any of the caps for those skills, and not even the 2 points into Authority, and the 1 into Empathy and Physical Instrument (opening a certain locked container) wouldn't have been enough to max it.

i went 6 int and 4 of whatever the social one is, maxed out all the motorics and physical (so 1 point in each), filled every thought slot and got all the other skills high enough to never fail anything. wasn't exactly much left for me to put skillpoints in

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chaosapiant posted:

I'm on day three and can't even wipe off the mirror.

Skill spread is 2/6/2/2

Try the tools from Kim's car.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try the tools from Kim's car.

I did. I have all of them. I'll try again. Maybe I need to "clean it" with the prybar?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

chaosapiant posted:

I did. I have all of them. I'll try again. Maybe I need to "clean it" with the prybar?

You get a bonus if you have the clippers equipped I think

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Broken Cog posted:

You get a bonus if you have the clippers equipped I think

Ok, I'll try it out. I do forget to equip the tools because I run around bare handed except for boombox and my poorman bag.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Ok, I'll try it out. I do forget to equip the tools because I run around bare handed except for boombox and my poorman bag.

Speed also helps for all yellow checks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

Speed also helps for all yellow checks.

I'm doing a sober run for my first play through, and even though drugs and booze have decent bonuses, it just doesn't fit with my character thematically. I'm playing a dude whose so shocked about how horrible he is pre-amnesia that he's swearing off booze and drugs.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

Caidin posted:

I tried the whole game and kept failing this until I finally got it on day 3 or 4. I have no idea if anybody says anything different before that but nobody brought it up after the fact.

On my current playthrough I haven't even looked into the mirror yet. I'm on day 2 with the same blotchy almost-man picture. I wonder if my badge's picture will appear down there when I find it instead. Probably not though.

Edit: VVVV Exactly. I had AN ENORMOUS REGRET when I removed it.

Maybe I'm just not hard boiled enough.

Professor Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 24, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The expression is very disco though

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

ThermosAquaticus posted:

With respect to That Check, repeating checks is a core part of the game and you should absolutely not try it only once.

That skill check is at the tail end of the available areas at the time. People run into xp problems when failing it. That's why you'll see complaints about it.

I've been wondering. Can you pull the body down by its boots after Kim goes to bed? I bet that would be fun to explain in the morning.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

chaosapiant posted:

I'm doing a sober run for my first play through, and even though drugs and booze have decent bonuses, it just doesn't fit with my character thematically. I'm playing a dude whose so shocked about how horrible he is pre-amnesia that he's swearing off booze and drugs.

For a late-stage alcoholic like Harry the withdrawal symptoms from going cold-turkey would be debilitating, and potentially even fatal. The game isn't as clear about how much speed he was taking before the amnesia, but it's likely the same story. Your buddy Electro Chemistry it just looking out for you, you should take his advice and do a drug. :drugnerd:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hungry Computer posted:

For a late-stage alcoholic like Harry the withdrawal symptoms from going cold-turkey would be debilitating, and potentially even fatal. The game isn't as clear about how much speed he was taking before the amnesia, but it's likely the same story. Your buddy Electro Chemistry it just looking out for you, you should take his advice and do a drug. :drugnerd:

Funny story (sorta): I had shoulder surgery a few years ago and had a hell of a time getting off the pain killers, so I understand how detox feels. It's miserable. In fact in some ways I empathize with Harry a bit more than I'd like to admit, which is what makes his character so fascinating to me.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I would have a beer with Harry.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Next time I play I'm going no drugs, no booze, but smoke like I hate my lungs.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Am I right in that Electrochemistry is threatening me with the prospect of an uncompleted quest in my log if I don't do drugs? Because if so, I think that's a brilliant bit of writing that plays off of the common player compulsion to 100% everything in a game (like in Undertale). "C'mon, you gotta do drugs, otherwise you'd be leaving exp and bonuses on the table!" This isn't the usual choice where doing a good thing is rewarded, so no duh you'd do the good thing, like saving the kids in Bioshock: kicking the habit is a real fight in this as you have to fight against a similar addiction and nagging thought process in your own brain.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Harrow posted:

:hai:

It's weird that the most compelling speculative fiction I've read in years is a video game.

Weird, but not at all unwelcome.

From up thread: yo we are in a Golden age. This, Hypnospace Outlaw, Doki Doki Panic.

Got my wife into reading the first 45 minutes with me. She was all: oh this so you can just choose between reading John Grishim novels, Twin Peaks screenplays, or CSI episodes with every character you click on.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FutureCop posted:

Am I right in that Electrochemistry is threatening me with the prospect of an uncompleted quest in my log if I don't do drugs? Because if so, I think that's a brilliant bit of writing that plays off of the common player compulsion to 100% everything in a game (like in Undertale). "C'mon, you gotta do drugs, otherwise you'd be leaving exp and bonuses on the table!" This isn't the usual choice where doing a good thing is rewarded, so no duh you'd do the good thing, like saving the kids in Bioshock: kicking the habit is a real fight in this as you have to fight against a similar addiction and nagging thought process in your own brain.

DE messes with RPG habits in some really clever ways. You can't just click through all the dialogue options unless you want to say a lot of hosed up poo poo, and you shouldn't blindly follow the advice you get on a skill success because sometimes it's obviously terrible.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 24, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hwurmp posted:

DE messes with player compulsion in some really clever ways. You can't just click through all the dialogue options unless you want to say a lot of hosed up poo poo, and you shouldn't just blindly follow the advice you get on a skill success because sometimes it's obviously terrible.

I like that there's also patterns to the advice that can tell you when to listen and when not to. The game outright warns you a high skill's advice isn't always going to be good, after all.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Yes, absolutely. Like, the description says high drama is for psychopaths. The description doesn't lie, unlike high drama, which wants you to lie your rear end off at every opportunity for no particular reason.

I like going with what the skills say though, it helps me feel in character. *licks table*

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Donnerberg posted:

Yes, absolutely. Like, the description says high drama is for psychopaths. The description doesn't lie, unlike high drama, which wants you to lie your rear end off at every opportunity for no particular reason.

I like going with what the skills say though, it helps me feel in character. *licks table*

There's a reason: drama. Drama likes drama. I've dated this emotion, I understand how it thinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Harrow posted:

Next time I play I'm going no drugs, no booze, but smoke like I hate my lungs.

Similarly, I want to make a down on his luck Special Agent Francis York Morgan if I can figure out the skills that would be appropriate. But most important is smoking at every possible opportunity, even when talking to people. Especially when talking to people.