Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

uggy posted:

Wild that there’s no master of waves. Feels like that’s the better 4 drop

She's got one in the sideboard. Definitely think it's the better card myself. But I'll not argue with her results either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is this your Signal the Rats? Your sword and shield of choice for shitposting?
Maybe? They asked about Spirits, which I've explained time and time again why it's a miserable to wholly unwinnable matchup for anything aggro-based, which no one else in the world seems to have a problem beating without effort.
So I thought I'd smug back and brag about my pretty good record against a deck that had to be banned.

Unless you're asking about T3feri, in which case, also maybe? When countermagic is a factor, I can't win without playing spells at the end of my opponent's turn. I have yet to try packing an entire set of Exquisite Firecraft in the 'board, which gets me to maybe 50-50 vs control, but Spirits has creatures that counter uncounterable spells so that's no solution there either.
Outracing them isn't really an option when under the best circumstances they're tapping down my creatures at the start of combat and wasting prowess triggers/outright surprise blocking my smaller critters.

Maybe it'll be better in Pioneer. I sure hope so but am not holding my breath.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tubgoat posted:

Care to share your list, or a link to it?

https://scryfall.com/@Hellsau/decks/9f9d2502-2b50-49b2-9812-da4509032130

It's okay. The manabase works okay for colors, but so many tapped and pain lands feels poor.

Framboise posted:

Has there been anyone testing mono blue devotion yet? Legit hoping it's good, I love blue tempo decks.

I ran into someone playing Thassa, Cloudfin Raptor and Curious Obsession. Deck looked worthless without Curious Obsession, and they still lost a game to me where they went 1 drop into double Obsession and drew 12 cards from them, so....the deck is probably terrible.

There might be a deck that plays 4 Obsession and 4 Sixth Sense, the green Curiosity. Probably not though.

This format needs like 20 bans lol

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I was looking at some cards to throw together a cheapish RDW list for pioneer on mtgo, and lol shits spiked so hard already. Hazoret is like 2tix, Swiftspear is like 2.50 and Soul-Scar mage is NINE loving DOLLARS.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

rabidsquid posted:

to put it in much simpler terms, the entire concept of historic was floated by wizards as a way to appease people about their concerns about what happens to the resources they've invested once they rotate, so wizards said "a ha we have a solution don't worry at all!" except their solution isn't supported. so they've basically completely misled people about what happens to their collections once standard rotates and have no interest in addressing it again. they've successfully navigated away from a genuine concern about the MTGA economy as well as support of any eternal formats and all they've done is gone 'lol'

Historic isn't supported at all right now but it is getting ranked queues in December which is when people will actually start playing it. If anything it'll be the parachute you pull for when Standard devolves into dumb poo poo again like Golos Field and the bans aren't coming anytime soon. If they do go ahead and start printing random cards like Brainstorm into Historic then I think people will definitely start getting a lot more interested in it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Silhouette posted:

Soul-Scar mage is NINE loving DOLLARS.
:eyepoop:

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

How? It's maybe 1 or 2 in paper. How do prices invert like that?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rkajdi posted:

When Arena came out, recent set drafts on MTGO were dramatically lessened, but redemption is still a thing so the supply of new rares and mythics is much less but the demand is about the same. Teferi is $44.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hellsau posted:

When Arena came out, recent set drafts on MTGO were dramatically lessened, but redemption is still a thing so the supply of new rares and mythics is much less but the demand is about the same. Teferi is $44.

Makes sense, but isn't that totally unsustainable? I mean the point of MTGO is that it's cheaper, so if it is drastically more expensive there's no point in not just playing in paper except you hate human contact.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

rkajdi posted:

Isnt it a 4x in red prowess modern decks? It's a 4x in the pioneer burn decks so far.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rkajdi posted:

Makes sense, but isn't that totally unsustainable? I mean the point of MTGO is that it's cheaper, so if it is drastically more expensive there's no point in not just playing in paper except you hate human contact.

I don't have a local store I'm willing to play at.

also if wotc gave a single poo poo about mtgo they can just put dramatically overpriced cards into the treasure chest loot boxes, but like....they added Wrenn and Six to the treasure chests at such a low probability that you're more likely to open an entire set of Core 2020 than a Wrenn and Six.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tibalt posted:

He doesn't have haste and has to attack, making him more vulnerable to spot removal compared to Legion Warboss and Goblin Rabblemaster.

He'd might see play, but he's got stiff competition and his upside compared to those two is slower.

Edit: Krenko's tokens aren't attacking, either.

no, I mean 4 mana krenko! the one legacy goblins plays!

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

no, I mean 4 mana krenko! the one legacy goblins plays!

Ah the one that isn’t legal.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Historic's not really a format yet, both in that there's no event support yet and it's just the previous standard with Eldraine. Developments are concerning but it might be saved if the next set has interesting interplay with the rotated ones, if they expand backwards into Amonkhet and Kaladesh etc. It had to come into being before it was an interesting proposition and i don't see a way around that which wouldn't undermine the Eldraine launch.

Had a first-run at Pioneer vampires last night, needs some work but might have potential, but really misses Bloodghast and Cordial Vampire.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm kind of glad Pioneer exists because it sort of legitimises the copy of United Assault I have on my desk atm, but that's because of my broken nerd brain since I'll only ever play casually. I'm also glad it exists because it enables me to CAST MOUTH once again.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Isnt it a 4x in red prowess modern decks? It's a 4x in the pioneer burn decks so far.

$1 or $2. TCGPlayer still has it at that rate, so $9 for a virtual card is insane.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Historic's not really a format yet, both in that there's no event support yet and it's just the previous standard with Eldraine.

To use the early Wild metas from HS as an example, they were basically just the current Standard meta (with the addition of Secret Paladin) and didn't diverge until Knights of the Frozen Throne, the fifth set released after Wild's introduction.

Maybe comparing Historic to Wild isn't reassuring, since Wild is notoriously unsupported.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Wow, so I just had the displeasure of finding out about mono blue Phoenix in standard. :psyboom:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Well, now I know what I'm taking to my LGS's Pioneer event this weekend. :devil:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Ah the one that isn’t legal.

Wait what he's from RTR!

....m13? But there's literally a quote from a character on ravnica on the card

Flavor fail!! :argh: :argh:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

A big flaming stink posted:

Wait what he's from RTR!

....m13? But there's literally a quote from a character on ravnica on the card

Flavor fail!! :argh: :argh:

I thought he was M14 too, Ravnica was one of the settings for M13.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Feeling overwhelmed by the different formats. What do you guys like to play?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Cube draft, hands down.

Failing that, recent set draft.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Stick to Standard for now, if you want to play an official constructed format. Draft is a lot of fun, and usually my preferred format.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm a Modern try-hard through and through, but Standard is fun enough right now to comfortably stick with it if you want to stick to one format. I'll be curious to see how Pioneer works out, thinking it could be pretty fun too.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I play standard on Arena, and probably will play Historic when it releases on Arena. In paper, I draft and play commander/EDH.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If you're just playing with your friends don't bother with formats.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tubgoat posted:

Wow, so I just had the displeasure of finding out about mono blue Phoenix in standard. :psyboom:

What is this deck running?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

rkajdi posted:

The usual blue mill package (Drowned Secrets, Merfolk Secretkeeper, various and sundry card draw), Arclight Phoenixes, Creeping Chills, only saw Islands as the mana base. He got 3 Phoenixes and 2 Chills, I was pretty irritated.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

rkajdi posted:

It's essentially Merfolk Secretkeeper, Drowned Secrets and bunch of cantrips and bounce spells in order to mill phoenixes and Creeping Chills or draw WAR Jace and win by self milling

If you can exile the phoenixes the deck folds like a house of cards so hit em with those Devout Decrees

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

berenzen posted:

I play standard on Arena, and probably will play Historic when it releases on Arena. In paper, I draft and play commander/EDH.

You should already be able to play historic on arena. Just pick a historic deck (it'll have a yellow warning-like sign) and go to the play queue.

Just be warned that historic games do not count for daily quests.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

MikeCrotch posted:

It's essentially Merfolk Secretkeeper, Drowned Secrets and bunch of cantrips and bounce spells in order to mill phoenixes and Creeping Chills or draw WAR Jace and win by self milling

If you can exile the phoenixes the deck folds like a house of cards so hit em with those Devout Decrees

Facing this deck with my soon to be illegal Golos Fields it's a mattter of "can I wishboard up an Umoored Ego before they mill a bunch of birds to the yard."

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tubgoat posted:

The usual blue mill package (Drowned Secrets, Merfolk Secretkeeper, various and sundry card draw), Arclight Phoenixes, Creeping Chills, only saw Islands as the mana base. He got 3 Phoenixes and 2 Chills, I was pretty irritated.

God that seems dumb. I want to play it so bad.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

drainpipe posted:

Just be warned that historic games do not count for daily quests.

lol jesus christ wizards

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Eh, Arena is still a remarkably cheap way to play magic compared to paper (I'll have spent about $20 in half a year and be able play decks worth more than $1k collectively), so I'm not going to hold it too hard against them for nudging us to play standard.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

Maybe? They asked about Spirits, which I've explained time and time again why it's a miserable to wholly unwinnable matchup for anything aggro-based, which no one else in the world seems to have a problem beating without effort.
So I thought I'd smug back and brag about my pretty good record against a deck that had to be banned.

Unless you're asking about T3feri, in which case, also maybe? When countermagic is a factor, I can't win without playing spells at the end of my opponent's turn. I have yet to try packing an entire set of Exquisite Firecraft in the 'board, which gets me to maybe 50-50 vs control, but Spirits has creatures that counter uncounterable spells so that's no solution there either.
Outracing them isn't really an option when under the best circumstances they're tapping down my creatures at the start of combat and wasting prowess triggers/outright surprise blocking my smaller critters.

Maybe it'll be better in Pioneer. I sure hope so but am not holding my breath.

lol come on man

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

drainpipe posted:

Eh, Arena is still a remarkably cheap way to play magic compared to paper (I'll have spent about $20 in half a year and be able play decks worth more than $1k collectively), so I'm not going to hold it too hard against them for nudging us to play standard.

I play Arena specifically to remember why I no longer play standard, and on rare occasions, I accidentally start having fun.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

As long as it's self-sustaining enough that I can have a real deck and a few jank decks without putting much more money in I can't be fussed if historic is treated like the attic mutant.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I play Commander (at both casual and competitive levels), Draft, Pauper, and I'm eyeing Pioneer to see if it's something I'll be interested in getting in on. Mostly depends on whether or not the LGSs near me run with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

fadam posted:

lol come on man

Phasmophobia is no laughing matter.