Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Job!

I don't know anything about this organisation, but might suit someone on here: freelance, work from home:

http://www.simplepolitics.co.uk/issues/work-for-simple-politics

Communications Officer
Type: Part-time / Freelance Location: Remote working Hours: 25 Pay: £262.50/week

Job description:

The Communications Officer will help with the overall communications output of Simple Politics, predominantly creating content and delivering information across our social media channels, which are followed by over 270,000 people around the world.

Main activities include:

Live coverage of political events (on Twitter, providing verbatim coverage) this may include covering late night votes plus weekly PMQs coverage and occasional coverage of political programmes.
Research and content creation, e.g. creating explainers for our social media channels on current political topics.
Website management, updating the website in line with content published on our social media channels.
Promotion of Simple Politics to existing and emerging audiences
Ad hoc professional support to SP’s founder and director.
About you:

Simple Politics doesn’t get bogged down in qualifications or experience in fancy institutions. We want to see people who have a genuine interest in politics and who can leave their political affiliations at the door when representing us. You don’t need a politics degree; you don’t need to have done an internship for an MP. What you do need is an innate ability to communicate complex ideas in a simple manner, a passion for increasing access to politics and a desire to improve political conversations across the nation.

Essential skills

Ability to create and manage content on social media
Experience of working independently to a high standard
Experience of using website Content Management Systems
Ability to use simple design software (e.g. Canva) to create content that is clear and visually engaging.
Proven ability to communicate in a clear, accurate and impartial way
A decent level of knowledge and understanding of UK politics
Desirable

Experience creating original video content
Live tweeting experience
Experience of basic PR skills (how to draft a press release, keeping a database of journalists)
To apply for this job, please send the following to work@simplepolitics.co.uk:

A covering letter that clearly shows you meet all the essential criteria and as many of the desirable as possible

(Please note that the covering letter will be evaluated for the clarity of communication that this role requires. )

-A CV (this will only be looked at for candidates who are shortlisted) - Availability for interview (which will be done remotely) between 4th and 8th November. Interviews will be roughly 1hr 30/45 mins. First hour will be an exercise that will be emailed at the start of the interview time. Generally, interviews will be between 9 and 5, but we can be flexible if that’s not possible.

Timetable:

Application deadline: Midnight, 30th October 2019 Interviews: 4th -8th November (Hopefully) successful candidate begins: 11th November

If you have any questions, please email Tatton@simplepolitics.co.uk. Please do not send applications to him, they’ll probably get lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
SNP amendment has been turbodunked with 64 ayes to 310 noes.

Here we go on the main motion...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

As people have said, if we can get this before campaigning, things are looking good!

I doubt labour will see quite the rise as last time, but the start point is higher.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Didn't pay the catte tax, so I will for you.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
^^^ an adorable shithead. and a lovely cat

Coohoolin posted:

One of the most important developments in the UK for combating global climate change is ensuring Scotland stays in the EU by any means necessary so that the massive renewable energy is available to the energy supergrid.
there was a post a while back about how we could slap a bunch of tidal generators in the irish sea and generate enough electricity for all of the EU, i have no idea if it was serious

that's... good? what is going on

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
310 ayes, 294 noes. Boris narrowly avoids pioneering an entirely new genre of political embarassment.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I am very mildly reassured by that poll, but I keep looking at the 20% for the Brexit party and despairing. 46% for tories + Brexit, this country has learned absolutely nothing from the last few years. Nothing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Fedule posted:

310 ayes, 294 noes. Boris narrowly avoids pioneering an entirely new genre of political embarassment.

Again, is that with 19 Lib Dem abstentions? Could have inflicted a(n) historic defeat on the government the silly bastards.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

election motion confirmed

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Vote on monday for an election.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

sebzilla posted:

Again, is that with 19 Lib Dem abstentions? Could have inflicted a(n) historic defeat on the government the silly bastards.

I have no idea! Let's see what the breakdown says when it becomes available.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
a big fat nothing burger

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1187411199144660992?s=20

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
holy crap am I glad I stopped working for Royal Mail a couple of months back. Xmas is already completely manic, they've got potential strike action in December, and now the potential for an absolute fuckton of general election leaflets on top of all that. It is *not* going to be fun to be a postie this winter

E: also, assuming the extension is granted, I'm not really seeing why Labour wouldn't back a GE. What exactly are they waiting for?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I do not understand how Labour cannot support an election at this time. They refused the last one on the very reasonable point that it would risk No Deal. That risk is now gone. If we refuse one now, we really are the "chickens" the Tories have made us out to be.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

E: It's not gone, the EU still hasn't granted the extension.

Peston's been on Dan Hodges levels recently, so this tweet fills me with hope

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Monday bill for a GE will be under FPTA (confirmed by Rees-Mogg) so it won't pass unless the EU agrees an extension before monday.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1187093219286355972?s=19

Preston is the most useful idiot.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

holy crap am I glad I stopped working for Royal Mail a couple of months back. Xmas is already completely manic, they've got potential strike action in December, and now the potential for an absolute fuckton of general election leaflets on top of all that. It is *not* going to be fun to be a postie this winter

E: also, assuming the extension is granted, I'm not really seeing why Labour wouldn't back a GE. What exactly are they waiting for?

Anything that suppresses turnout is bad for Labour. December would be about the worst possible month for turnout.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Comrade Fakename posted:

I do not understand how Labour cannot support an election at this time. They refused the last one on the very reasonable point that it would risk No Deal. That risk is now gone. If we refuse one now, we really are the "chickens" the Tories have made us out to be.

gently caress that. I want Labour to go for an election at the best time strategically, ie when they think they have the best chance. I don't know when that would be and am happy to leave it to the leadership, but I fervently hope they aren't at all concerned with when would be brave.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Peston you've lost the news!!!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I still can’t see labour winning an election. Which is a bit poo poo.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

kustomkarkommando posted:

Calling GB the mainland in NI is a thing people do all the time

This can get confusing if you're visiting Rathlin.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anything that suppresses turnout is bad for Labour. December would be about the worst possible month for turnout.

This is true, and my CLP for example has been convincing labour voters to sign up for postal votes for about 2 months now in anticipation of this happening.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Comrade Fakename posted:

The fact the tories are pushing hard to get an election while they're the ones in power and while they're trying to force this deal through should be enough of a clue that this is cynical game-playing. In the words of a great british philosopher and tactician, nothing has changed

The No Deal risk is still there until we have an extension. While the deadline is still next week remember there's absolutely still a risk. And even beyond that even if we get the extension, but at least 3 months pushes it back and outside of an election timeframe

There's nothing "chicken" about not being dumbasses and throwing themselves head first into the blatant trap that's been set. There's nothing shameful about not responding to name calling and goading and just doing things properly. Yeah it sucks that the media isn't absolutely roasting the government on their failures and hypocrisy but what are ya gonna do

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CGI Stardust posted:

there was a post a while back about how we could slap a bunch of tidal generators in the irish sea and generate enough electricity for all of the EU, i have no idea if it was serious
This is about as serious and practical as it is.

forkboy84 posted:

So I log in & check and there's 75 new posts and it's not about crisps? What is this outrage?

Kidding obviously, but man, I know the prospect of a general election has been lurking for a while but it still feels rather sudden.

Less surprised to hear Jo Swinson is still trash, as are all liberals everywhere.

You are a parody account of Scottish nationalists created by Pissflaps and I claim my £5.
Quick check from 9am today to 6pm and something like 220 of the 250 posts have been political, either personal, party, or general politics. That's 88%. Or as

goddamnedtwisto posted:

signal to noise ratio
A very respectable 17.3dB.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What's the best way to maximize turnout of "weather's poo poo so I'm not voting" voters?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

mehall posted:

Didn't pay the catte tax, so I will for you.

Thanks! Had to dash out and didn't realize I was top of the page :D
Pretty kitty!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

What's the best way to maximize turnout of "weather's poo poo so I'm not voting" voters?

Go and knock on everyone's doors and give them a lift to the polling station if it's really poo poo out

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

phew finally something we can all get behind

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/24/majority-of-voters-think-violence-against-mps-is-price-worth-paying-for-brexit

Most voters believe violence against MPs 'is price worth paying' over Brexit

quote:

A majority of voters in England, Wales and Scotland believe that violence against MPs is a “price worth paying” in order to get their way on Brexit, an academic survey has found.

Most leave voters who took part in the Future of England study thought violence towards MPs was a “price worth paying” for Brexit to be delivered – 71% in England, 60% in Scotland and 70% in Wales.

The majority of remain voters felt that potential violence was worth it if it meant we would stay in the EU – 58% in England, 53% in Scotland and 56% in Wales.

lmao theres a much larger majority for killing politicians than there is for any of the parties. i love when politicians and journalists realise how loathed they are.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

To be fair there's not much chance of us making it til, like, June in any case, so we work with what we've got.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Communist Thoughts posted:

phew finally something we can all get behind

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/24/majority-of-voters-think-violence-against-mps-is-price-worth-paying-for-brexit

Most voters believe violence against MPs 'is price worth paying' over Brexit

lmao theres a much larger majority for killing politicians than there is for any of the parties. i love when politicians and journalists realise how loathed they are.
This is why Brexit is going to happen. Out of fear. Then what happens when it doesn't deliver unicorns and rainbows?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Communist Thoughts posted:

I'd feel better about that if politicians and journalist ever changed their behavior for the better in reaction to that hatred.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Accuweather (or 'inaccuweather' as I like to playfully refer to it) is forecasting a mostly sunny week from 7-13th December in my area.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I was reflecting earlier today on the fact that traditionally in comedy and whatnot in this country we took the piss out of Americans for having dumbed down political messaging.

The soundbites adopted by the party currently in government are:

The leader of the opposition is "chicken".
The leader of the opposition is "a loser"
"GIT 'ER DONE"

:/

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Accuweather (or 'inaccuweather' as I like to playfully refer to it) is forecasting a mostly sunny week from 7-13th December in my area.
It would be hilarious though if even nature joined the list of traitors wrecking bojo and cumdoms increasingly ridiculous gambits.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Job!

I don't know anything about this organisation, but might suit someone on here: freelance, work from home:

http://www.simplepolitics.co.uk/issues/work-for-simple-politics

Communications Officer
Type: Part-time / Freelance Location: Remote working Hours: 25 Pay: £262.50/week

Job description:

The Communications Officer will help with the overall communications output of Simple Politics, predominantly creating content and delivering information across our social media channels, which are followed by over 270,000 people around the world.

Main activities include:

Live coverage of political events (on Twitter, providing verbatim coverage) this may include covering late night votes plus weekly PMQs coverage and occasional coverage of political programmes.
Research and content creation, e.g. creating explainers for our social media channels on current political topics.
Website management, updating the website in line with content published on our social media channels.
Promotion of Simple Politics to existing and emerging audiences
Ad hoc professional support to SP’s founder and director.
About you:

Simple Politics doesn’t get bogged down in qualifications or experience in fancy institutions. We want to see people who have a genuine interest in politics and who can leave their political affiliations at the door when representing us. You don’t need a politics degree; you don’t need to have done an internship for an MP. What you do need is an innate ability to communicate complex ideas in a simple manner, a passion for increasing access to politics and a desire to improve political conversations across the nation.

Essential skills

Ability to create and manage content on social media
Experience of working independently to a high standard
Experience of using website Content Management Systems
Ability to use simple design software (e.g. Canva) to create content that is clear and visually engaging.
Proven ability to communicate in a clear, accurate and impartial way
A decent level of knowledge and understanding of UK politics
Desirable

Experience creating original video content
Live tweeting experience
Experience of basic PR skills (how to draft a press release, keeping a database of journalists)
To apply for this job, please send the following to work@simplepolitics.co.uk:

A covering letter that clearly shows you meet all the essential criteria and as many of the desirable as possible

(Please note that the covering letter will be evaluated for the clarity of communication that this role requires. )

-A CV (this will only be looked at for candidates who are shortlisted) - Availability for interview (which will be done remotely) between 4th and 8th November. Interviews will be roughly 1hr 30/45 mins. First hour will be an exercise that will be emailed at the start of the interview time. Generally, interviews will be between 9 and 5, but we can be flexible if that’s not possible.

Timetable:

Application deadline: Midnight, 30th October 2019 Interviews: 4th -8th November (Hopefully) successful candidate begins: 11th November

If you have any questions, please email Tatton@simplepolitics.co.uk. Please do not send applications to him, they’ll probably get lost.

My OH tried to get me to go for this but comms is not my specialty, and honestly the requirement for neutrality is massively offputting.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Labour can promise anything though, its not like they'll get reality checked on it by winning the election.

of all the redtexts I've ever seen yours may well be the most accurate

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Brony Car posted:

I'd feel better about that if politicians and journalist ever changed their behavior for the better in reaction to that hatred.

sure its not a good sign for our ... well i was gonna say democracy but lol its the UK, its not a good sign for our terrible voting system bolted onto a monarchy

but it makes me feel common cause and kinship with the public and dare i say... solidarity?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I thought the Tories were fearful that a December election would suck for them because all the olds would be like "bit nippy out, don't fancy that much. Think I'll stay in and reminisce about the Blitz, which I endured having been born in 1951."?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

I thought the Tories were fearful that a December election would suck for them because all the olds would be like "bit nippy out, don't fancy that much. Think I'll stay in and reminisce about the Blitz, which I endured having been born in 1951."?

rationing didnt end until 1954 and eating spam sandwiches is basically having survived the blitz