Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Do you really have to write "no vote." Doesn't that kind of giveaway the island secret or has that pretense already been dropped?

The opposite. They can see you writing. Jeff doesn't pull votes at random. That one doesn't come out of the urn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I liked Tom as the old guy :(

Someone should arrange Karishma to get the gently caress out of here

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay that seems super obvious given a moment's thought. It's also good to show that so audience remembers her idol island failure.

Tom was a good sport. Every vote except face-donger has been pretty unsatisfying. At this point I'm just happy Noura is still around to do her thing.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
lol Tom wrote "Kirishna"

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Hmm, so Noura's non vote was buried by the outcome because there were votes still in the urn.

The secret of the Island of Big Heads is still in play.

Pretty soon, enough people can suss out visitors to Big Head have either an idol or no vote.

Noura should absolutely volunteer to go back at first opportunity because any newbies going there will eventually leak what is going on over there.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Shneak posted:

lol Tom wrote "Kirishna"

bye bye denver diva

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I wish there was an episode where it wasn't some orchestrated edit blindside. I wouldn't mind just having an episode play out like I expect (or like how I'm shown).

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The editing this season as a whole has just been bad. This episode is really pretty poo poo. Just Karisma Karisma Karisma Karisma Karisma, "Tom the tribe has spoken"

Like, is this what CBS thinks fans want?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
That episode was clearly edited as "these 5 vokai have reasons to vote for ANY of the three, which one will they choose and why?!"

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
The above posts are all strange to me because the entire last act of the show was the majority alliance laying out the reasons for/against Karishma, Tom, and Dean and all 3 seemed in play going into the Tribal. It's pretty common to see post-swap votes where the majority tribe is just picking off a member of the minority tribe edited exactly like that (see, for instance, almost every Ghost Island post-swap episode).

Both Janet and Noura pretty clearly laid a case against Tom, it wasn't really out of nowhere. It certainly made a lot more sense than the Chelsea vote last week.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

curiousCat posted:

That episode was clearly edited as "these 5 vokai have reasons to vote for ANY of the three, which one will they choose and why?!"

True enough, but it was made to look more like Dean v Karishma. Tom was a bit out of left field.

mancalamania posted:

Both Janet and Noura pretty clearly laid a case against Tom, it wasn't really out of nowhere. It certainly made a lot more sense than the Chelsea vote last week.

Really? Janet had him in her back pocket in theory, and Noura is just kind of lol.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Janet literally said "I think he has the most connections with the old Lairo, and the most loyalty to them"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Propaganda Machine posted:

Didn't they kill the car challenge after the bullshit with goon legend Yau-Man and Dreamz?

I wish Yau had posted here more.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't see the problem. Karishima being an obvious vote was clearly set up, but so was the fact that they trusted her more to be a true flip and not have connections to go back or make trouble at the merge. I wasn't really sure which way it would go but I never doubted that Tom and Dean were on the table. I don't think that was a deceptive edit at all.

Tom over Dean was a LITTLE surprising to me but not overly. There was literally a part of the tribal where they openly weighed the pros and cons of Dean vs Tom and Karishima said "maybe I've been pushed to the side?"

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

AWarmBody posted:

:laffo:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I've actually been appreciating the job the editors have been doing this season. It's markedly less obvious who's getting voted out, although they still like to drop their little hints, like Tom's comment about them being able to get Karishma out at any point. That was classic Survivor "throw the foreboding spotlight on the act of hubris". Plus, there's only so much sleight of hand they can do to distract from the clear fact that it's gonna be one of those three players going home.

At least the rationale for this vote was much stronger than that of the Chelsea vote: keep some strength (Dean) and the person with no ties to the other side (Karishma) while getting rid of the potentially most Lairo-strong player (Tom). It also makes Dean more of a free agent. It made sense. It does still feel a bit like they're maybe being overly galaxy brain about keeping Karishma around (old Vokai still has the clear advantage either way) but it was a fair enough move.

In any case, it's hard to ignore the uncomfortable bottleneck effect for all involved (both players and audience) when a player like Karishma is awkwardly dragged through the game. I'm curious to see if she can turn things around, but also wouldn't be mad if they cut her loose so the overall narrative can move on from "is she finally getting voted out this time?!" Honestly, I don't really find her all that annoying. It's kind of hilarious that she put her marriage on blast on public television (with sentimental music in the background).

Anyway, I'm pretty satisfied with the players this season. Old Vokai is -very- strong, especially Kellee, Jamaal and Jason. Early days of course, but their edits are quite rosy so far. Lairo just seems like it's gonna keep eating itself until Vokai eventually splinters.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 24, 2019

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I don't see the problem. Karishima being an obvious vote was clearly set up, but so was the fact that they trusted her more to be a true flip and not have connections to go back or make trouble at the merge. I wasn't really sure which way it would go but I never doubted that Tom and Dean were on the table. I don't think that was a deceptive edit at all.

Tom over Dean was a LITTLE surprising to me but not overly. There was literally a part of the tribal where they openly weighed the pros and cons of Dean vs Tom and Karishima said "maybe I've been pushed to the side?"

I think Tom over Dean makes sense given they know Dean was the only one on the outs with the last vote.

Could have had an A+ scene if Noura was in the 4-4 tribe and they went to tribal. Just would want to see their reactions when they find out she has no vote.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I really hope that Karishma did not talk to her husband about their sham wedding the entire time since filming, and this is how he finds out how she feels.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I guess I'm in the minority, which I will accept. It's just hard for me to imagine a situation, which must be occuring, where you don't vote out the person who has to be (literally) dragged through competitions. It's like guaranteeing you'll be back at tribal again.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I guess I'm in the minority, which I will accept. It's just hard for me to imagine a situation, which must be occuring, where you don't vote out the person who has to be (literally) dragged through competitions. It's like guaranteeing you'll be back at tribal again.

I don't think they care that much. If they lose two more tribals and have to vote out Dean and Noura, then there's 13 players left and you're at the merge.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

TMMadman posted:

These people are terrible.

Tom was completely inoffensive and wasn't going to win anyway.

The always successful and well reasoned strategy of reducing your chances of winning tribal immunity by playing the post-merge game before the merge and dragging along a huge challenge anchor.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
What do Sandra and Rob do when there's no mentoring? Will they reveal a giant head of Probst they've been working on at another place along the beach?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Sand Monster posted:

The always successful and well reasoned strategy of reducing your chances of winning tribal immunity by playing the post-merge game before the merge and dragging along a huge challenge anchor.
I actually thought this was one of the most logical votes a tribe has made all game. The Vokai people on that tribe are playing the standard game of keeping their original tribe strong. Tom was the most in with the other tribe, so he went out. The two that stayed may join these folks if they need some extra votes later on, but the majority on this vote don’t consider challenge strength a priority because they have safe control of the numbers (and their friends are locked in a 4-4 tie over on the other side).

Now, what I think is going to be interesting here is the new thing Aaron and Missy are working on over at the other tribe. After idiotically blindsiding Dean and then expecting his gratitude, they turned what would have been a functional tribe into a mess going into the swap. They got exceedingly fortunate to draw even numbers in their swap tribe and did so without landing either Dean or Karishma. A miracle! And yet they’re still preparing to flip.

I think that’s actually the right call and one that could set a lot of the tone for what happens going forward. The truth is they already blew up their original tribe and it’s good they recognize it, because not only were they 2 down in the numbers, they were 4 down when you count the people they left primed to flip (and 3 down even if Noura finally gets picked off). It’s not a salvageable position even if they won out in the 4-4 stalemate, and they’d be among the first targets right afterward.

Elaine knows they’re sketchy from last vote. Will she realize she can’t trust them? Can Aaron and Missy build something new that can protect them at merge? If so, could Vokai end up splitting into two factions somewhere down the line?

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 24, 2019

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

AWarmBody posted:

:vince:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I think this was Karishma's best episode to date. She was a little less mopey and a lot more proactive. Maybe she's going to rebound and become something more than a goat!

Kellee looks like she's in a very pretty position.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

I think this was Karishma's best episode to date. She was a little less mopey and a lot more proactive. Maybe she's going to rebound and become something more than a goat!

Kellee looks like she's in a very pretty position.

Karishma is still the drag on her team in challenges, and we have nothing to indicate that will change. And she’s still on the outs socially, except that the rest of her OG tribe are gonna get voted out first since she’s a non-threat. Sounds like still goat to me.

I think she’s less mopey because she realizes she’s not gonna get voted out for awhile.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

What do Sandra and Rob do when there's no mentoring? Will they reveal a giant head of Probst they've been working on at another place along the beach?

Probably a lot of what normal people would do on a tropical vacation in Fiji

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Nottherealaborn posted:

Karishma is still the drag on her team in challenges, and we have nothing to indicate that will change. And she’s still on the outs socially, except that the rest of her OG tribe are gonna get voted out first since she’s a non-threat. Sounds like still goat to me.

I think she’s less mopey because she realizes she’s not gonna get voted out for awhile.

Maybe also cuz she's no longer on a tribe full of people who treat her with pure disrespect?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lol

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

A Typical Goon posted:

Get drunk on a boat cruise then back to hotel and have sex?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Man, I miss Christian and Gabby (and everyone else from DvG). This season really feels forgettable in comparison, now that I'm thinking about such a good one. Maybe it's just that we didn't get any Island of the Idols stuff this episode

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

Normal people can't afford to go on vacations. I have literally on idea what someone would do on such a vacation, it's seems expensive and stressful and boring.

This got pushed to me last night, there's a lot of great Applebees snark. https://ew.com/recap/survivor-season-39-episode-5/

quote:

As a former 16 year regional manager at Applebees I can honestly say the only time I ever saw that many people excited about it was when the Pointer Sisters' tour bus pulled up for take out. I personally delivered Ruth her taco salad. It was all downhill from there.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 24, 2019

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

My Survivor watch friends have this bizarre story of going to an “Adult Cocktail Night” at an Iowa Applebee’s in their 20s where they replaced the bar lights with black and neon lights and had a DJ. The perimeter tables were the same overly lit, family friendly atmosphere and judgey parents kept staring at them as they got hammed like it was a college bar. It’s probably the only way I could do an Applebee’s at this point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I got wasted at Applebees a few times in my 20s but it usually amounted to "lets meet at Applebees and get some appetizers and beer before we go out for real" and then ended with "I had too many of those tall rear end beers, lets just stay here while parents give us dirty looks."

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Growing up, we were poor and Applebee's was considered too expensive. Then as an adult I knew someone who worked at Applebee's and all the staff shared STDs with each other, which isn't really appetizing. I've maybe eaten there twice? Burn them all to the ground imo.

Erik makes a valid point, though:

https://twitter.com/ErikReichenb4ch/status/1187381843445911552?s=09

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Binary Logic posted:

Knowing Rob at least, they probably spent the whole time making strategies for the all winners season 40 that they both knew was coming right after they finished this season up. I don't know if they knew all the winners that were for sure going to be on season 40 when they started IOI, but I'm sure they at least had a good idea and probably could work out a poo poo ton of potential strategies...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
They all want Karishma as their goat, but she will prevent any tribe she's on from winning. It makes zero sense to be thinking about goats this early.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bigass Moth posted:

They all want Karishma as their goat, but she will prevent any tribe she's on from winning. It makes zero sense to be thinking about goats this early.

It can make sense if you've got a real plan, relationship, and alliances. But if you're just going "she sucks, I can beat her, leave her" then yeah, its stupid.

But I don't think that's what was done for the most part. There's a difference between "she sucks, I can beat her at the end" and "she sucks, she's not gonna be as big a threat as that other player." Whether or not that's a right move for the tribe I think is conditional these days with all the swaps and stuff. Once upon a time I was all about "keep the tribe strong" early but these days doing that might end up screwing you just as easily as the alternative.

So I think it was dumb for Karishima's old tribe to blindside 2 allies to keep Karishima because instead of getting rid of one likely disloyal tribemate at a swap/merge they created a second. For her new tribe to keep her I think is different math. In their case they're actually gambling that Karishima would be more loyal to them than Tom and if she costs them another immunity you still have Dean and her to vote out. If your tribe stays loyal at the merge that could work out to keep you in control, even over your other OG tribemates. It could be screwed up if things go real bad or if the other tribe works out something new with the likes of Missy and Aaron but its at least a gamble with reasoning and odds behind it. Missy and Co's move didn't really have that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Karishma stuff feels like she makes it far but the only interesting poo poo they have to show for her is her almost getting voted out a bunch of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Also keeping Karishma around is hardly guaranteeing challenge losses forever. She won a challenge on the original Lairo and they've gotten pretty close in others (Dean was one good basketball throw away from getting this one for them this time). And there's probably one two more pre-merge rounds anyway.