Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

I bet you a pizza it turns out good.

after how bad arise was? deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Finally, CG anime has achieved the level of quality I can expect from an FMV in a 12 year old PS3 game.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Yep that's definitely a Kuvshinov Ilya designed Major.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Came over here to post about it. So disappointed.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Maxwell Adams posted:

Finally, CG anime has achieved the level of quality I can expect from an FMV in a 12 year old PS3 game.

honestly makes me nostalgic

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lord nerds are hyperbolic

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The only version of Ghost in the Shell that was good was GitS:SAC. The problem is that the original manga source material itself isn't good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Square were doing better CGI than that on the PS1 lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Major needs to be more buff.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Maxwell Adams posted:

go back further
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0UBycyZb6w

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Maera Sior posted:

Came over here to post about it. So disappointed.

I'll only be disappointed if it isn't Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Richard Epcar and co in the dub.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The only version of Ghost in the Shell that was good was GitS:SAC. The problem is that the original manga source material itself isn't good.

the ps1 game is good

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

actually the original movie is good and innocence extremely owns

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Parallax posted:

The cyborg festival scene in Innocence owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IGTiFuDjTI

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I have to say, you guys seem split evenly on whether this will be good or trash :v:

I will say, while the cg isn't very detailed, it looks fluid enough to make me think it's an intentional design aesthetic as opposed to a lack of effort-whether that looks good or not is more of a subjective choice. I think it looks alright, and I can see this style being beneficial in animating intense action scenes while still making them read cleanly for the viewer.

I have no strong emotional attachment to the franchise though, so I'm rather neutral on how they approach any new adaptations of GitS.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Speaking of Neflix CG shows, here's a trailer for Eden, Netflix's new anime project directed by Yasuhiro Irie (Fullmetal Alchemist) with Concept Designer Toshihiro Kawamoto (Cowboy Bebop).

https://youtu.be/3i8Ds2nVVXE

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
watching the Eden pv just reminded me of a bunch of ideas from other things. For instance that big overgrown mirror cube thing was done in Vampire Hunter D

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Square were doing better CGI than that on the PS1 lol

I'm gonna stoop real low and say that Spirits Within looked better, and it's old enough to buy cigarettes.

Waffleman_ posted:

The Major needs to be more buff.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The best Major design was the statuesque one in the first movie, each iteration after that has made her look less like a sculpture of Athena and that's a drat shame.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Beastars is continuing to be an absolutely amazing anime as apparently they are releasing a different ED with a new song for each episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMweKnCCQXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_mb4D2RPRs&t=29s

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I feel like they'll just switch between the two ED, because those two describes both aspects of Legosi's life, external and internal. It also pairs well with the OP that does something similar.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Chas McGill posted:

The best Major design was the statuesque one in the first movie, each iteration after that has made her look less like a sculpture of Athena and that's a drat shame.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I've figured out why After School Dice Club isn't as good as it could be! The characters aren't defined by how they play games. Since it's a new game every episode, each character should have their own unique play style that's consistent across all the games. But they don't.

Instead, they just have differing competence levels. The expert, the fast learner, and the less fast learner. Which is fine for explaining the game to the audience, but not if you want the audience to enjoy watching the girls play a game.

When they express themselves in a game, it has to be explicitly set up as that. Like the blue haired girl making a bold choice in that dungeon game. She had been defined as a timid person, but that hadn't been reflected in her gameplay until that episode. So they had to make a big deal about it so her bold choice in the game could be a character moment.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/paworks_eng/status/1187313833225773057?s=21

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I've figured out why After School Dice Club isn't as good as it could be! The characters aren't defined by how they play games. Since it's a new game every episode, each character should have their own unique play style that's consistent across all the games. But they don't.

Instead, they just have differing competence levels. The expert, the fast learner, and the less fast learner. Which is fine for explaining the game to the audience, but not if you want the audience to enjoy watching the girls play a game.
Yeah it seems way more interested in just introducing various board games rather than having the characters be characters. Which is fine, I guess, but I think that's kind of a priority misstep. Tons of people got into mahjong because of Saki because they cared about the characters, even though Saki itself makes no real attempt to explain Mahjong that well, it assumes some base level knowledge. People tend to be willing to work with something or figure it out for themselves if they care about the characters.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

hell yes!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Poor Cerceus in this week's Cautious Hero.

There lies a broken, broken, man :stare:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Parallax posted:

I hold to this day that Innocence has some of the best shots in all of anime.

Who's the art director on the show? I need to make sure to ignore everything they ever touch for all eternity.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Davincie posted:

after how bad arise was? deal

Arise wasn't bad. It was bad by GITS standards, but it was fine on its own.

Also Eden looks really good! Im glad they didn't try to force the low-framerate animation. I'm intrigued enough that it might make up for the GITS gently caress up.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 24, 2019

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

:yeah:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

we need another gits announced so the hyperbole engine can keep running after this one comes out

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Gonna say the same thing I say for all these GitS reboots/Shirow related 3DCG things: announce Yoko Kanno, or I could never possibly care.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't actually completely mind how it looks. I'm glad it's not going for the low framerate, and like was mentioned before, it's stylized enough that it comes off as an artistic choice rather than just cheap CG. I'll have to see the actual series in motion, though.

But also please just make the Major jacked as hell.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

we need another gits announced so the hyperbole engine can keep running after this one comes out

From here on out if you make a post to the effect of 'it looks worse than beast wars' im adding you to the pizza bet against your will. Get ready to pay up :9

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Build Divers Re Rise is showing serious signs of being not terrible

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Build Divers Re Rise is showing serious signs of being not terrible

is magee still in it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Patware posted:

is magee still in it

He's in the OP but I think he's only had one appearance in the show so far.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I bet you a pizza it turns out good.

I'll take this bet but only if I'm the one who decides if it's good and I'll decide based only off the first three episodes. :twisted:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Patware posted:

is magee still in it

He only showed up as the owner of a gay bar so far

The show is inoffensive so far at least outside of the characters being one dimensional. The only part that made me actively angry were the 3 NPC kids deciding to come and cheer for one of the characters during a fight but I really cant get too mad at that because this is standard Gundam fare.

The animation isn't as flashy as some of the other seasons, but todays Captain Zeon segment was actually pretty stylish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!