Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Aidan_702 posted:

what in the actual gently caress is ketchup doing in there what the gently caress. CHOP UP A loving TOMATO

We can end this food chat derail/actually pretty clever troll thread here please - the ketchup was buried enough that it wasn't immediately obvious.

The follow-up posts suggesting the paste was boiled were where it became really genuinely funny, and the amount of people hoodwinked have been just amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We can end this food chat derail/actually pretty clever troll thread here please - the ketchup was buried enough that it wasn't immediately obvious.

The follow-up posts suggesting the paste was boiled were where it became really genuinely funny, and the amount of people hoodwinked have been just amazing.

i still think saying tuna casserole is ethnic was the peak

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

razorrozar posted:

It was a very, very funny series of posts.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

razorrozar posted:

its specifically only a poor white person thing so I guess that does make it ethnic

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I mean, I've tried doing it that way before, but in my experience the guac breaks by the time you get it up to a boil and the avocado burns in the pan

There are a lot of complicated ways to prevent that, but the actual industry pros just add some sodium citrate, which gets you a smooth, creamy "ballpark" guac

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Toxic Mental posted:

lol look at this loving amazon.com commerical

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ovXp/amazon-work-hard

welcome to the new "just glad to be working"/"i'm okay with this" post-2008 hell

That’s a pretty good ad tbh compared to the reality of working at the company that sees you as an inconvience to the robot warehouse worker

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Crosspostin' this from yospos:

Weird, once people's lives are not 100% consumed by work, the work stops consuming 100% of their lives :thunk:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

As a fun bonus, in exchange for leaving at 1 PM:

quote:

To accomplish that, small talk during work hours is discouraged. Social media is banned. Phones are kept in backpacks. Company email accounts are checked just twice a day. Most meetings are scheduled to last no more than 15 minutes.

Gosh I wonder why people don't seem that enthusiastic to be at work anymore.

quote:

But the shorter schedule freed marketing assistant Lucas da Costa to return to a long-shelved hobby of drawing portraits. It also allowed him to take a part-time job on weekends

Now that I can leave my job at 1 PM, I can... go to my second job on the weekend??

Here's the full context and quote from that tweet, which is even better:

quote:

One model he reviewed was San Diego’s Tower Paddle Boards, which began a five-hour workday in 2015. Chief Executive Stephan Aarstol says that as an entrepreneur, he typically worked irregular hours but felt guilty leaving the office for the beach when others were still at their desks.

Mr. Aarstol says the five-hour experiment was an initial success, allowing him to reward productive employees and weed out those marking time. Two years later, he limited five-hour days to the summer months because it sapped some employees’ enthusiasm.

“We lost the startup culture,” he says. “Everyone’s outside life got so much better, at the expense of their passion for the work.”

“We lost the startup culture”, what a tragedy :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I hope everyone will remember this dude leaving early to go to the beach while everyone else had to stay in the office the next time you read one of those "baww being an entrepreneur is so haaard, I had to work the weekend once when we were first getting going so it's fine if I force my employees to do it all the time" articles.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
A shorter work day means more time to level up

https://twitter.com/iamalexxramos/status/1185205865156141057

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Had a guy I know from our kids playing together start up a franchise business.

I assumed it meant we'd be seeing less of him and he'd be working his butt off to get his new business running.

Nope. Turns out he's just the owner who paid for everything up front. His manager runs it, and the employees work it. He just makes sure the accounting is correct and collects the profits.

He's gotten really in shape too, now that he's got the time to spend hours a day at the gym working out and playing ball.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

spacetoaster posted:

Had a guy I know from our kids playing together start up a franchise business.

I assumed it meant we'd be seeing less of him and he'd be working his butt off to get his new business running.

Nope. Turns out he's just the owner who paid for everything up front. His manager runs it, and the employees work it. He just makes sure the accounting is correct and collects the profits.

He's gotten really in shape too, now that he's got the time to spend hours a day at the gym working out and playing ball.

Pretty sure this is explicitly the point of a franchise business.

You buy it, and other people working there makes you money. Maybe you check in once in a while to make sure nobody is blatantly stealing (the value of their labor back).

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

You buy it, and other people working there makes you money. Maybe you check in once in a while to make sure nobody is blatantly stealing (the value of their labor back).

Yeah, I don't know much about how franchises work.

My dad, and I, had a business making custom furniture for rich people for a while. And we had to work our butts off because we were the only employees. I kinda figured everyone would want to be as involved in a business they owned.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

I have no idea what wonderbread is, is it what white bread is called in english?

Here in Québec we have pain blanc and pain brun.

In the Bad Old Days, before the New Deal, when the government didn't mess in the affairs of capital with pesky regulations and such, you didn't know what was in your bread. Sawdust, sand, whatever. It was like the urban legends about what's in the bread at Subway only real.

So in 1921 the Taggart baking company introduced Wonder Bread, which was made with flour that had been bleached pure white, so that you could see there were no adulterants. It was introduced to Canada in 1927 where it is still produced by Weston Bakeries.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

lol this dude's a loving professional instagram poster

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, I don't know much about how franchises work.

My dad, and I, had a business making custom furniture for rich people for a while. And we had to work our butts off because we were the only employees. I kinda figured everyone would want to be as involved in a business they owned.

sounds like you’re a lovely capitalist :smuggo:

Yavuz
Oct 9, 2019

DoubleDonut posted:

lol this dude's a loving professional instagram poster

of course he loving is, I don't know why I expected anything else

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

food safety was more square deal, teddy roosevelt gave a few thousand dollars to Harvey Wiley, who double-dog-dared a bunch of guys who thought they had tough stomachs and got them to join the 'poison squad', where they just ate all sorts of additives and saw whether or not they'd die.

wonderbread was all 'WWI proved everything should be science-based, this new synthetic, scientific, industrial production is the future'

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/the-life-and-death-of-wonder-bread-129979401/

quote:

The new Taggart bread wouldn’t carry religious or ethnic connotations that could hinder it’s sales, or even falsely identify itself with the work of Puritan mothers – it was going to be better. It was going to be from the mechanized world of the future, a utopian world with factories suspended from the clouds by the thread of their smoke; bridges with the leap of gymnasts… and the gliding flight of aeroplanes whose propellers sound like the flapping of a flag and the applause of enthusiastic crowds – a vision outlined in Filippo Marinetti’s Futurist Manifesto, published in 1909.

… The new Wonder Bread didn’t suggest hearth and home. On the contrary, the unnaturally vibrant colors of the logo and visual purity of this new, virgin white, 1.5 pound loaf perfectly evoked the otherworldliness of the enormous manufacturing system that was seen as America’s future.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

World War Mammories posted:

sounds like you’re a lovely capitalist :smuggo:

he wasn't a capitalist. you need employees to be a capitalist. he was an artisan.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I kinda figured everyone would want to be as involved in a business they owned.

Sure, if your business is your own labor or something you're actually interested in or good at or you're providing value in some real way rather than just extracting it from your employees. But yeah nobody buys a franchise just because they truly love the process of sandwich artistry or w/e. The only time I've seen the owner actually involved in running a franchise, it was some rich dude who basically used it as his pretend-to-be-useful hobby, like a little girl holding a tea party for dolls except instead of tea it was fast food and instead of dolls it was real people.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my franchisee is pretty invested but he owns like 12 so he doesnt really give a poo poo about any particular store. he gave me a cash bonus when we closed because of the power outage which was nice. dont get me wrong, I'm still underpaid. but hes not an absentee boss at least.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rastor posted:

In the Bad Old Days, before the New Deal, when the government didn't mess in the affairs of capital with pesky regulations and such, you didn't know what was in your bread. Sawdust, sand, whatever. It was like the urban legends about what's in the bread at Subway only real.

So in 1921 the Taggart baking company introduced Wonder Bread, which was made with flour that had been bleached pure white, so that you could see there were no adulterants. It was introduced to Canada in 1927 where it is still produced by Weston Bakeries.

Capitalism ruins everything.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Chomp8645 posted:

i mean yea that's the point of owning a business. you do enough up front work (or get a big enough startup check from daddy or whatever) and eventually you hire people and don't have to do anything except cash checks.

there's no mode of capitalism that can't be boiled down to an mlm scheme

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Shame Boy posted:

Sure, if your business is your own labor or something you're actually interested in or good at or you're providing value in some real way rather than just extracting it from your employees. But yeah nobody buys a franchise just because they truly love the process of sandwich artistry or w/e. The only time I've seen the owner actually involved in running a franchise, it was some rich dude who basically used it as his pretend-to-be-useful hobby, like a little girl holding a tea party for dolls except instead of tea it was fast food and instead of dolls it was real people.

I'm always wary of people that treat their business as a 'hobby' since they'll be like a kid who gets a pony - quickly grow tired of the actual work that involves caring and supporting a living thing and neglect it while barring anyone else from making meaningful improvements in its existence.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I have copyrighted N95 masks and I'm about to make so much money

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

I completely forgot this tool still worked there. That's concerning

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

https://twitter.com/NickCapozzoli/status/1187042247071674373?s=20

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

As if vault boy was anything other than post ironic marketing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

yellowD posted:

I completely forgot this tool still worked there. That's concerning

hes currently trying to figure out how he can get around the court ruling that the fcc cant strike down state level net neutrality laws since he made it official fcc position that they dont have a say over net neutrality

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

duz posted:

hes currently trying to figure out how he can get around the court ruling that the fcc cant strike down state level net neutrality laws since he made it official fcc position that they dont have a say over net neutrality

normally im of the position that the bourgeoisie get at least a chance to surrender their wealth before they get the guillotine

this offer is not applicable to ajit pai

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inceltown posted:

i dont think hes even on the cover of the original fallout games

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Larry Parrish posted:

He's not on the cover of any of them.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Larry Parrish posted:

I've never played a fallout game and know who vault boy is. If that is anything other than marketing please explain how.

hint: not all marketing is an explicit ad.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Inceltown posted:

It definately wasn't in 1 and probably not in 2.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sedisp posted:

It definately wasn't in 1 and probably not in 2.

lol, fallout is estimated to be worth over $3B. You seriously think what amounts to a catch phrase was an accident?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Inceltown posted:

lol, fallout is estimated to be worth over $3B. You seriously think what amounts to a catch phrase was an accident?

That's because the original developer went broke and a AAA publisher bought the ip and marketed the hell out of it.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

This depends on the franchise. Many franchises are actually agressive financial grifts on the buyers. The buyers have to pay anywhere from 75k-500k to get a license to run the brand and then have to incur all of the other expenses of a normal business on top of that and profit share with the franchisor. The franchisor might do nothing more than send you a branding guide and do some branding/marketing for you.

Often times they're marketed to newly arrived immigrants or retirees who are told to finance them with ROBs plans which is the most hilarious transparently named financing scheme there is.

El Mero Mero has issued a correction as of 06:49 on Oct 25, 2019

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Owning a franchise is a scam. There is a reason the business doesn't own your shop and it's because it's more profitable to squeeze you for dollars and claim ignorance when the only way to make money is stealing from employees. If the store was actually worth money why the gently caress would they let you in on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inceltown posted:

lol, fallout is estimated to be worth over $3B.

It's worthless