Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Tias posted:

Spirit Island owns, it really tickles my howling mushroom-addled animist side but is also solid coop board control.

The newest expansion, Jagged Earth, is up for pre-order - https://spirit-island-jagged-earth.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/156282

I'm a playtester for Jagged Earth and all I can say is wow, they nailed it again. Thankfully it doesn't add much complexity to the base game (only one new token type a la Beasts/Disease), but adds a TON of new optional content - 10 new spirits, 3 new adversaries, tons of new major and minor powers, new events, new healthy/blighted island cards, new fear cards... it's got everything.

If you like complex, 2 of the newer spirits are more complex than anything in the base game, even Serpent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'm looking for a board game recommendation. My group (of 3, including me) just finished the main story of Gloomhaven (on tabletop simulator, since we live nowhere near each other) after a good 120 hours, and we enjoyed it a lot. We want to play another well-made coop thing, and we tried a couple trial games of Pandemic Legacy, but that game seemed so extremely dependent on luck. We all felt like it was entirely random whether we would win or lose, depending on whether or not we drew epidemics/infections in 3-cube cities early or not. What are some other cool coop games on TTS? If they've also got legacy mechanics that's a big bonus.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Elswyyr posted:

I'm looking for a board game recommendation. My group (of 3, including me) just finished the main story of Gloomhaven (on tabletop simulator, since we live nowhere near each other) after a good 120 hours, and we enjoyed it a lot. We want to play another well-made coop thing, and we tried a couple trial games of Pandemic Legacy, but that game seemed so extremely dependent on luck. We all felt like it was entirely random whether we would win or lose, depending on whether or not we drew epidemics/infections in 3-cube cities early or not. What are some other cool coop games on TTS? If they've also got legacy mechanics that's a big bonus.

Spirit island is probably the clearest recommendation for a great thinky coop. I don't think it has legacy mechanics though.

Space Alert is always great but not sure how well it translates to TTS. With the expansion you can do a pseudo-legacy/campaign game.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Lord Of Texas posted:

The newest expansion, Jagged Earth, is up for pre-order - https://spirit-island-jagged-earth.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders/156282

I'm a playtester for Jagged Earth and all I can say is wow, they nailed it again. Thankfully it doesn't add much complexity to the base game (only one new token type a la Beasts/Disease), but adds a TON of new optional content - 10 new spirits, 3 new adversaries, tons of new major and minor powers, new events, new healthy/blighted island cards, new fear cards... it's got everything.

If you like complex, 2 of the newer spirits are more complex than anything in the base game, even Serpent.

Just to illustrate
https://i.imgur.com/939opzq.jpg

nb that came out a year ago with the caveat that it was already out of date.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Pandemic isn't that luck dependent and part of the fun of Legacy is when things to go poo poo.

Spirit Island is a great idea though.

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011

Quixotic1 posted:

Is there a good 2p dudes fighting on a map game?

Does Sekigahara count, because if so: Sekigahara.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Quixotic1 posted:

Tash-Kalar

Twilight Struggle

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Elswyyr posted:

Arkham Horror: The Card Game is my strongest recommendation if you want something to scratch the same itch as Gloomhaven.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lord Of Texas posted:

Got it comin', cuz :whatup: The new spirits look completely insane

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Quixotic1 posted:

If you want the high tension of a compelling poker game with feints, bluffs, and bidding more men convinced that you will definitely win this push, break through the line and encircle your enemy because by god if you don’t you’re going to get slowly harassed to death by your opponent’s cavalry that just keeps poking and retreating... you want Napoleon’s Triumph.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Ravendas posted:

I'll wait for the 20th anniversary edition and get it all bundled together.

wait, is this actually a thing coming out? I can find neither hide nor hair about this.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Deathlove posted:

wait, is this actually a thing coming out? I can find neither hide nor hair about this.

FCM came out 5 years ago so you’ll be waiting a while.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Lord Of Texas posted:

Did you play test the six player game? I love Spirit Island but don't know if I could handle a six hour game.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Spiggy posted:

Did you play test the six player game? I love Spirit Island but don't know if I could handle a six hour game.

I wonder if they could do like Eclipse and have two players on opposite sides going at once? Just adjust difficulty up one or two?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Quixotic1 posted:

If you mean what I would mean by a "dudes fighting on a map," then what others have said. If you mean it more broadly, Earth Reborn may be even better than the ones mentioned.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Quixotic1 posted:

If you like pirates, minis and MOBA mechanics (fully control a few powerful heroes along with lots of weaker units that follow a predetermined path), try Rum and Bones. Preferably Second Tide.

Also seconding Earth Reborn, as long as the idea of a highly tactical, incredibly deep combat game that takes several play sessions to fully learn sounds appealing to you.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

djfooboo posted:

I wonder if they could do like Eclipse and have two players on opposite sides going at once? Just adjust difficulty up one or two?

Spirit Island is largely simultaneous actions to begin with.

I do suspect that splitting up the board into multiple islands with the new archipelago rules is probably the way to go for 5+ players. Cutting down territory overlap means less wrangling about who's doing what in what order.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How is the Gandhi COIN game?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

There's also too many bones which is fun and you can (somewhat) control the game length and difficulty. It's not legacy, so it'll play kinda like a 1 shot gloomhaven with 2-5 maps per session. There's no official TTS module but the author claims that chip theory supports the mod.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Does anyone actually play Earth Reborn, or just recommend it? Because I've never actually seen anyone playing it at a convention or elsewhere.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

homullus posted:

If you mean what I would mean by a "dudes fighting on a map," then what others have said. If you mean it more broadly, Earth Reborn may be even better than the ones mentioned.

:drum: That game is legit as gently caress

It's squads on a map rather than armies on a map (of that matters). It's brilliantly designed.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Spiggy posted:

I did not. My usual count is 2 for solo or 3/4 if playing cooperatively, and those games are long enough as it is.

Once the expansion comes out I probably will do a 6P once at a con or something for the S's and G's, but only with people who know the game well and won't be overwhelmed.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Does anyone actually play Earth Reborn, or just recommend it? Because I've never actually seen anyone playing it at a convention or elsewhere.

I have played it and it is amazing. Christophe Boelinger is shockingly good at his job.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Archipelago + expansions
Dungeon Twister + numerous expansions
Earth Reborn

he's done very good games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Between today and tomorrow City of Big Shoulders, Pret A Porter, and Key Market will be here. Going to try to get them all played this weekend, wish me luck!

How are the Essen hauls going?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Between today and tomorrow City of Big Shoulders, Pret A Porter, and Key Market will be here. Going to try to get them all played this weekend, wish me luck!

all of these arrived for me in the last 2 weeks and look very nice on my shelves.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

homullus posted:

I have played it and it is amazing. Christophe Boelinger is shockingly good at his job.

I mean I own it, and have played it once or twice too. But then I always wonder if I'm playing the same game as other people, because the rules are an unholy mess, the game is fiddly as gently caress, it appears to have a ton of hooks for additional content that never came out, it seems to be scenario based with a very limited number of scenarios, etc.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I would actually love to see Boelinger reiterate on Archipelago given the last 5 or so years of design innovations and see if he can't make that game just a bit less clunky. And maybe re-theme it too. Because it'd be an all-timer if it could just be somewhat more intuitive with how your workers are used.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Memnaelar posted:

I would actually love to see Boelinger reiterate on Archipelago given the last 5 or so years of design innovations and see if he can't make that game just a bit less clunky. And maybe re-theme it too. Because it'd be an all-timer if it could just be somewhat more intuitive with how your workers are used.

I’ve got good news and bad news

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Finally got my Pax Pamir win. My goal was to not ever place a brick and let everyone else do the heavy lifting.

Things got real tense with 5 cards left in the deck and a dominance card in the market. All players were within 1 victory point of each other. Everyone was scrambling to join / usurp the dominant faction. Managed to bump the Afghans up to dominant by one brick and purchased the dominance card for a 4 point-lead victory. A++ would backstab again.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Mayveena posted:

How are the Essen hauls going?

Got everything I wanted. Just got back and will sort out everything.

Tomorrow we are going to play Letter Jam, Crystal Palace, Cooper Island, Fast Sloth and Maracaibo if everything is going as planned.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Anyone got a pointer to the new FCM milestones? Found some stuff on Reddit, but I'm not sure if they've gone through revisions since.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

SlyFrog posted:

I mean I own it, and have played it once or twice too. But then I always wonder if I'm playing the same game as other people, because the rules are an unholy mess, the game is fiddly as gently caress, it appears to have a ton of hooks for additional content that never came out, it seems to be scenario based with a very limited number of scenarios, etc.

That's really weird to read since the rules seemed beautifully laid out to me. It was obviously designed with open ends for added content that never happened, though.

The character sheet redesigns from order of gamers are good and much clearer.

Lifeform on the other hand is an unholy mess of rules. 40 pages of mess, and a dev who's prickly about it, to boot.

Feels to me sometimes like every good rulebook is the same but every bad one is terrible in its own unique way.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 24, 2019

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Selecta84 posted:

Tomorrow we are going to play Letter Jam, Crystal Palace, Cooper Island, Fast Sloth and Maracaibo if everything is going as planned.

We played a 6p game of Letter Jam last night. Everyone enjoyed it, though almost nobody managed to spell a word at the end, which surprised me. Though, at least one player had... difficulty with spelling (I gave the first clue, and from her perspective it was ERR?RS. Couldn't work out her letter from that.)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Quixotic1 posted:

very quietly, on the wind Diskwaaaaars

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

very quietly, on the wind Diskwaaaaars

DOAM (Disks On A Mat)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Codeacious posted:

Anyone got a pointer to the new FCM milestones? Found some stuff on Reddit, but I'm not sure if they've gone through revisions since.

There hasn't been an update to them that I know of, so you can download the milestones on BGG under Ketchup's images.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Selecta84 posted:

JEALOUS!! It'll be probably a month before I get to play Crystal Palace, Cooper Island and Maracaibo, so please let us know your thoughts.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 24, 2019

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

My Essen haul is:
- Vinhos
- Two bottles of mead

I thinks that’s pretty much it. Might try Sanctum tomorrow if I have the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Archipelago + expansions
Dungeon Twister + numerous expansions
Earth Reborn

he's done very good games.

I'm really looking forward to Living Planet. I saw the deluxe edition today, it's like the loving Monolith - solid black apart from the title, totally immovable and probably capable of sparking a new stage of human evolution.