Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
though not as cute as Pika

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What does this even mean? They were probably working on the next generation during every previous generation. New games come out every year or so. How is this a surprise or a condemnation of Pokemon and not the norm?

There also tends to be a big period of time where a game spends a good amount of time in development before stuff about it starts being released publicly for marketing stuff. This isn't even exclusive to Pokemon. Over at Nintendo, they tend to start work on the next project after a game launch (though the next project isn't necessarily related to the game that just launched.)

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I guess I can kind of see where you're coming from. Previously it would've been something like

Sword and Shield -> Gun (3rd Version) -> D/P Remakes -> Generation 9.

Right? X/Y lacked a 3rd version, then Sun/Moon didn't have remakes before Generation 8. But given that they were working around moving to a new console I think it makes sense that things could get shuffled around. Ultimately, what's the difference between getting Gen 9 next VS getting D/P remakes in between? If they skip a new game next year and do Gen 9 in two years instead, I would be fine with that. If they somehow try and push Gen 9 out next year, then I will be concerned.

EDIT: Wait a second, Gen V didn't have remakes either. So that hasn't been the case since Gen IV and the only true "normal" is having at least two games per generation. This is silly.

Generation 4 was approximately four years with three games (including HGSS), G5 three years and a half with two games (and no remakes, possibly preparing for the end of the DS era), G6 three years with two games (including ORAS), G7 also three years with three games.and this including the technical work of jumping to the Switch.
Hard to predict Game Freak's plans but trying to cram more in these three years, or getting generations done in under three years is something that I hope does not happen.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Also Gen 9 being "in development" can mean a lot of things so it may just be at the bare conceptual stage where they're just collecting ideas and gimmicks and sketches at their leisure before actually doing the hard stuff.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

less laughter posted:

There's no o in Gigantamax.

unlike dinomax :eng101:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
People in this read really read into rumors and leaks way too loving much, but if Gen 9 is "already in development" and it "might take place in Spain" then that just means they have booked trips for places they want to scout, please calm down

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Game development is hard and takes a lot of time, especially for AAA games. Sun/Moon came out in 2016 assuming Sword and Shield started development right after. Then it had a total dev time of about 3 years. Which actually shockingly little.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

A hypothetical PokEspaña would be cool because they'd be able to pull a GoldSilver and let you visit Kalos.

Ain't gonna happen, tho.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mesadoram posted:

PokePass was like stupid easy to use. I walked outside of a Game Stop, clicked on "skip" for the scan part, and got the code for the shinies.

This is so much better than actual human interaction.

Counterpoint: this means I can't mug a gamestop employee for 50 codes and do another Halloween giveaway this year.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Gen VIII:
2019: 🗡️🛡️
2020: Platinum remake
2021: 🗡️2 & 🛡️2

2022: Gen IX

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm thinking PokéChina is next.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Time to scrub the skeleton Pokemon from the national dex

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
All bears are now banned

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Kurtofan posted:

i would love this. or pokeafrica. or another us-based one. or pokemexico.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Some nice locations being thrown around but....

... what if we just do Kanto again?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
PokeVegas

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Let's Go: Back to Orre

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

PokeVegas

pokevegas would own. as would pokeneworleans. pokechicago maybe? anything but pokeLA

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

PokeAustralia still seems like an incredibly obvious choice.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The dude who makes these choices does "research trips" that go on his expense account so realisticlly you need to ask yourself what places would an average Japanese tourist like to go on company-paid vacations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 24, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The dude who makes these choices does "research trips" that go on his expense account so realisticlly you need to ask yourself what places would an average Japanese tourist like to go on company-paid vacations.

PokeMaidCafe

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Poke South America or I riot

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

They're obv going to keep making Pokemon games untill the heat death of the universe so you're not going to waste an entire continent at once unless you want to end up with PokeEstonia for Gen 46

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Italy seems like the obvious choice, given the general Japanese interest in it. But two European Pokemon settings in a row feels bad.

I guess something like California would lend itself well to a Pokemon setting if you just want to bounce back and forth between the US and Europe, but something non-Western would be really nifty.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Poke South America or I riot

Brazil has the biggest population of Japanese outside of Japan, Pokemon would probably go there sooner or later.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

You're right, that's weird and bizarre.

It should really be a ditto.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

They're obv going to keep making Pokemon games untill the heat death of the universe

And only in the final gen will they finally introduce the long-requested hummingbird, peacock and narwhal mons

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Based on Iowa its Pokemon Corn and Soy edition.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

less laughter posted:

And only in the final gen will they finally introduce the long-requested hummingbird, peacock and narwhal mons

A fire/grass type chili pepper

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Live Free posted:

i would love this. or pokeafrica. or another us-based one. or pokemexico.

Poke'egypt if only for the inevitably magnificent regional forms.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Eiba posted:

Italy seems like the obvious choice, given the general Japanese interest in it. But two European Pokemon settings in a row feels bad.

I guess something like California would lend itself well to a Pokemon setting if you just want to bounce back and forth between the US and Europe, but something non-Western would be really nifty.

If they're going to go back to the US the dopest state would be PokeAlaska. There's been a lot of Japanese interest in it lately because of the Northern Lights. And it would give them an excuse to have a generation thats nice to ice pokemon and have dope wintry Protagonist outfits like in Platinum.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

With an Iceland postgame

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

PokeAustralia it is.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Poke'egypt if only for the inevitably magnificent regional forms.

Oops All Lucarios.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Scholtz posted:

With an Iceland postgame

Iceland deserves it's own pokemon and setting you fool.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
PokeAustralia is the logical choice. Multiple different biomes, surrounded by water, tremendous vast expansion of landmass. Also never remake Gen IV.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Poke Brazil is next I bet, but then I've been predicting that since gen 6.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Pentaro posted:

Oops All Lucarios.

If they end up fixing Lucario's unfortunate design I'm all for it.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I want Pokéchile more than Pokébrazil. HMs are back and strength, rock smash, and rock climb are mandatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Scholtz posted:

I want Pokéchile more than Pokébrazil. HMs are back and strength, rock smash, and rock climb are mandatory

There's exactly one route but boy is it a doozy.