Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Party Plane Jones posted:

Basically this.

If you post something dissuading people from seeking mental health treatment from qualified professionals I am going to poo poo on you from a great height and when you come up from your probation induced coma you best not be posting like that again.

This goes for any other poster in this thread, this forum, and also CSPAM.

I'm just sorry I brought it up. I shouldn't be trying to work through any of my issues on the forums-- I'm way too old for the standard E/N demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I mean the FDIC cant back up the entire banking system. Its guarantees went hand in hand with federal controls to prevent a systemic crisis. Thank god financial innovation and congressional bribery has loosened that blot on our beloved freedoms.

FDIC is not intended to back up the banking system, it's to make sure that people who have money in banks don't lose everything if the bank collapses. the intention is to enhance consumer confidence in banks, not to prevent banks from failing

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

oxsnard posted:

I have to see Jamie Dimon's smug face on tv

Turn off the TV.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

TulliusCicero posted:

What could their "message" possibly be? "The President is allowed to commit crimes because he is the President?"

Yes.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/23/trump-lawyer-prosecuted-shooting-someone-055648

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, it probably comes from a buddy who's been institutionalized and had ECT used on him two or three times. But he's a medically diagnosed schizophrenic, so there's a lot of differences there.

Most of the times, these days at least, ECT is a voluntary procedure. Don't quote me on this but it's been a hot minute since it was forced on people without they or a guardian signing off. If he had it more than once, someone definitely signed off. Doctors don't just do that willy nilly.

That being said, I had it done about 23-24 years ago. Other than my memory being a tiny bit wonky when it comes to stuff that happened before ECT, there's been no ill effects to speak of.

Hell, I tried to kill myself around then, and I still wasn't hospitalized even overnight.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

TulliusCicero posted:

"Messaging team"

What message? The President released a transcript himself, all the witnesses confirm it, and the loving Chief of Staff admitted it and said so "what?"

What could their "message" possibly be? "The President is allowed to commit crimes because he is the President?"

Their supporters are literally living in opposite world. They claim the DIRECT TRANSCRIPT (not a transcript) says the complete opposite of what it says and wholly exonerates Trump.

It’s pants-on-head stupid and completely impossible to combat. It’s like arguing with a schizophrenic. Or a tidal wave.

rkajdi posted:

I'm just sorry I brought it up. I shouldn't be trying to work through any of my issues on the forums-- I'm way too old for the standard E/N demographic.

Don’t be sorry. Despair and depression are more common than you think and if you feel like you’re drowning reach out for help. You aren’t alone.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 24, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

rkajdi posted:

It's not just you, don't worry about it. Just remember that there is help available.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

rkajdi posted:

Yeah, it probably comes from a buddy who's been institutionalized and had ECT used on him two or three times. But he's a medically diagnosed schizophrenic, so there's a lot of differences there. Paranoia is another problem of mine, and it might be rooted in still being somewhat in the closet for social and employment reasons.

I read a lot of mental health records for about four years typing up disability claims for adjudication and most mental health treatment has moved towards a community based approach which is a euphemism for saying we shuttered most of the state hospitals and places were people would be institutionalized. It only happens in extreme cases generally, like Evil Weasel said in cases where you’re a danger to others. For depression it’s almost never done unless you present with suicidal ideation and report an explicit plan to a caregiver or mandatory reporter. And even then “institutionalization” generally means a night or two in a hospitals mental health ward. Long term care and beds are expensive and as a society we’ve moved away from those to avoid having to pay for it. Even severe schizophrenics are often given scripts, a f/u appointment with local MHMR and a dismissal into the homeless population.

Which is all very sad but basically I’m saying don’t avoid getting treatment on fears of institutionalization. The sad reality is society doesn’t really care until someone can be held liable for not stopping you from harming someone else.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

A friend finally convinced me to seek out therapy after years of anxiety related insomnia that was basically destroying my ability to function and six weeks in, all I can say is, GO TO THERAPY. It's... wow. It makes a real, tangible difference in your life, and no one is going to send to you an institution if you don't want to go.

I was so ashamed to go because it felt like admitting defeat, that I couldn't "fix" myself, and I was afraid they'd want to put me on anti-depressants and I really did not want to take any medications. But that's not really what it's about, and my therapist never even suggested meds as a solution in my case. It's more like... understanding why you feel the way you do, because knowing really does make it easier to deal with. And not bottling everything up inside until 'yep I'm the first zombie on the left' becomes a thought that really crushes your soul.

Like, I know for a fact that I wouldn't survive a week in a zombie apocalypse and have resigned myself to being the third zombie on the left but it doesn't depress me at all, if that makes sense? There's no soul crushing sadness associated with that for me, it's just kinda "Well, what are ya gonna do?" And hey, maybe I get lucky!

So yeah. Go to therapy. For real. It helps.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Regarding the McKinsey report on the financial services industry:

Any massively doom-and-gloom reading of it isn't paying close attention. It isn't a glowing report, but it seems that the concerns are primarily with small retail banks in Western Europe and in East Asia failing to keep up now that fintech companies are eating everyone's lunch.

All I gather from it is that you'll probably have global players swoop into the challenged markets and eat everyone's lunch soon.

This isn't meant as a paean to banking. Just odd to see substantive discussion of the report as an indicator of financial strife.

We have plenty of indicators that poo poo will hit the fan soon: student loans and the growth of SLABS, the number of investors going to cash, the VC bubble finally starting to pop...

This just isn't one of them.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I think I want to make a thread about the post 2016 world and how it’s eating us from the inside out. Nothing matters but we matter, and we should feel ok talking about the upset, scared, depressed, plain ol off moods were all going through in relation to this hellworld - I just don’t know which subforum. A safe screaming room for how hosed it all is, and solidarity in that. USPOLE/N I guess.

E: if that thread exists already, kindly punt me towards it, tia

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

Most of the times, these days at least, ECT is a voluntary procedure. Don't quote me on this but it's been a hot minute since it was forced on people without they or a guardian signing off. If he had it more than once, someone definitely signed off. Doctors don't just do that willy nilly.

That being said, I had it done about 23-24 years ago. Other than my memory being a tiny bit wonky when it comes to stuff that happened before ECT, there's been no ill effects to speak of.

Hell, I tried to kill myself around then, and I still wasn't hospitalized even overnight.

I mean "do this or you're not getting out of here" is technically consensual by law, but I don't think anyone here would act like it was. He has said after the fact that ECT was good for him, but it's 100% life disrupting for a good 5-10 days. As you mentioned, it screws with your ability to retain memories after it, and also nukes a lot of the memories you've made for several days before.

I just always worry because being declared is a way to put a felony-like stain on your life and employment record without the law or any legal recourse being allowed. I'm not saying people are bad for being mentally ill, but the long term stigma is there and scares the gently caress out of me every time I think about asking for help.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Please go to therapy if you can afford it. It is very easy not to realize just how bad off you are. Please.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
there's a mental health thread in CSPAM that is permanently stickied, which i think is both an excellent idea and fairly eloquent about the state of affairs

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

remember that there should be no connection between the world around you and how you feel. discontent with the state of the world is a medical problem, requiring a medical solution.

God's in His subdivision, and all is right with the world.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Every now and then the mask will slip and expose you as just another rear end in a top hat.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

mistaya posted:

I had a similar experience but with different results-- medication demolished my issues while therapy didn't end up being very necessary. But, same as you, my thought was also "wow I really should have done this a long time ago".

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Sorry if this has been posted before, but an MLB ump is a crazy chud who posted about buying an AR-15 for the coming civil war.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/24/us/rob-drake-mlb-umpire-impeachment-tweet-trnd/index.html

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Doctor Butts posted:

Every now and then the mask will slip and expose you as just another rear end in a top hat.

That's incredibly generous of you

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

luxury handset posted:

FDIC is not intended to back up the banking system, it's to make sure that people who have money in banks don't lose everything if the bank collapses. the intention is to enhance consumer confidence in banks, not to prevent banks from failing

report on the 2008 crisis:

quote:

In 2008, by relying on the provision that allowed a systemic risk exception,
the FDIC was able to take two actions that maintained financial institutions’ access to
funding: the FDIC guaranteed bank debt and, for certain types of transaction accounts,
provided an unlimited deposit insurance guarantee. In addition, the FDIC and the other
federal regulators used the systemic risk exception to extend extraordinary support
to some of the largest financial institutions in the country in order to prevent their
disorderly failure.

The FDIC was the mechanism through which the entire system was propped up.

There is or more to the point was a regulatory firewall between deposits and financial speculation precisely to make the FDIC a not-insane plan and to stop the sort of systemic issue that caused financial malaise to metastasize into depositer banks. Insurance has to come with conditions and requirements. But, today...

wikipedia:

quote:

Over time, the term Glass–Steagall Act came to be used most often to refer to four provisions of the 1933 Banking Act that separated commercial banking from investment banking.[2] Congressional efforts to "repeal the Glass–Steagall Act" referred to those four provisions (and then usually to only the two provisions that restricted affiliations between commercial banks and securities firms).[14] Those efforts culminated in the 1999 Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), which repealed the two provisions restricting affiliations between banks and securities firms.[15] The 1933 Banking Act's separation of investment and commercial banking is described in the article on the Glass–Steagall Act. Institutions were given one year to decide whether they wanted to specialize in commercial or investment banking.[11]

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 24, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

remember that there should be no connection between the world around you and how you feel. discontent with the state of the world is a medical problem, requiring a medical solution.

At some point, we should perma people for being the least likable person we've ever met, on or off the internet, but that's just my opinion

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1187460031727460357?s=20

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Therapy is really good and if you can afford it, go for it.

The thing that worked for me when I couldn't afford it (pre-Obamacare my insurance didn't cover mental health things pretty much at all I think) was that I went to an ER and said I was having suicidal ideation. I explained the situation and the doctor gave me a referral to a state-subsidized social worker and discharged me. The social worker met with me within 24 hours then connected me to a sliding scale psychiatrist who got me on meds. The state of Minnesota pretty much saved my life with all that when my insurance wouldn't.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

rkajdi posted:

I just always worry because being declared is a way to put a felony-like stain on your life and employment record without the law or any legal recourse being allowed. I'm not saying people are bad for being mentally ill, but the long term stigma is there and scares the gently caress out of me every time I think about asking for help.

Nah, it's legally protected. I'm a well compensated professional who works in an industry that isn't exactly well loved in this forum. I have a family and kids and I checked myself into a mental hospital last year. I literally wasn't allowed to leave for days. It's the best decision I've ever made (though going to therapy before it turned into a crisis would've been ideal) and my life is much better as I'm in therapy and properly medicated

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

That's incredibly generous of you

I should have just ignored and refrained from commenting and if I get probated I deserve it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Jake Tapper just admonished a black man for making a klan reference. Tapper is a joke.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
My sister voluntarily underwent a few ECT treatments and they did wonders for her.

I'm stockpiling Vita games for society's collapse.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1187419507511513090
https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1187428844401233920

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ah yes the polygraph test.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 24, 2019

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

mistaya posted:

I was so ashamed to go because it felt like admitting defeat, that I couldn't "fix" myself, and I was afraid they'd want to put me on anti-depressants and I really did not want to take any medications. But that's not really what it's about, and my therapist never even suggested meds as a solution in my case.

heck, not only did my therapist not rush to meds immediately, I had to decide I wanted meds and openly express my desire to pursue it, and she had me talk through with her my reasons why.

they don't just toss meds at you.

(also she couldn't prescribe meds, there's diff types of therapists, so i went to a recommended psychiatrist she knew to get meds)

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rosalind posted:

Therapy is really good and if you can afford it, go for it.

The thing that worked for me when I couldn't afford it (pre-Obamacare my insurance didn't cover mental health things pretty much at all I think) was that I went to an ER and said I was having suicidal ideation. I explained the situation and the doctor gave me a referral to a state-subsidized social worker and discharged me. The social worker met with me within 24 hours then connected me to a sliding scale psychiatrist who got me on meds. The state of Minnesota pretty much saved my life with all that when my insurance wouldn't.

Thank you for the super useful information. I don't have an issue paying for treatment (I have good insurance and a lot of money, but would give it up for UHC and stability in a heartbeat), but I bet somebody is reading this who does and needs it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

report on the 2008 crisis:

The FDIC was the mechanism through which the entire system was propped up.

There is or more to the point was a regulatory firewall between deposits and financial speculation precisely to make the FDIC a not-insane plan and to stop the sort of systemic issue that caused financial malaise to metastasize into depositer banks. Insurance has to come with conditions and requirements. But, today...

wikipedia:

There's been some loving with it and I can't find all the threads to say definitively the state of this regulation today, but Dodd-Frank re-instituted that firewall for banks over a certain size.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

As someone who had a complete nervous breakdown 8 years ago, whose life was literally saved from anxiety and depression by going to a therapist and seeing them every month, and is much more mentally happy and healthy because of it:

If you are depressed and anxious and feel nothing gets better, please go to therapy. I promise you can be happier and it gets better! :glomp:

...And ignore whatever the gently caress that self-righteous horseshit is above :fuckoff:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

rkajdi posted:

Naw gently caress them, I avoided treatment for a long time due to not entirely dissimilar fears.

It took years of work but my life is completely different now.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/BryanDisagrees/status/1187465718775930880

double taxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwB3vJY5CDE

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

ah yes the polygraph test.

More interestingly, she has calendar entries.

So if this goes to the supreme court, :kav: is going to look real bad when he says those aren't admissable.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
If you're ever feeling like emotional or mental poo poo, get the drat therapy, it's worth it and you won't regret it. Life genuinely does get better.

Or just keep drinking half a bottle of liquor a night or whatever because I'm sure that has worked really well.

Just get therapy, it's not a big deal.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Doctor Butts posted:

I should have just ignored and refrained from commenting and if I get probated I deserve it.

It's OK to point out terrible people in the world.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1187466324244652032

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1187467583160815617

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

mistaya posted:

A friend finally convinced me to seek out therapy after years of anxiety related insomnia that was basically destroying my ability to function and six weeks in, all I can say is, GO TO THERAPY. It's... wow. It makes a real, tangible difference in your life, and no one is going to send to you an institution if you don't want to go.

I was so ashamed to go because it felt like admitting defeat, that I couldn't "fix" myself, and I was afraid they'd want to put me on anti-depressants and I really did not want to take any medications. But that's not really what it's about, and my therapist never even suggested meds as a solution in my case. It's more like... understanding why you feel the way you do, because knowing really does make it easier to deal with. And not bottling everything up inside until 'yep I'm the first zombie on the left' becomes a thought that really crushes your soul.

Like, I know for a fact that I wouldn't survive a week in a zombie apocalypse and have resigned myself to being the third zombie on the left but it doesn't depress me at all, if that makes sense? There's no soul crushing sadness associated with that for me, it's just kinda "Well, what are ya gonna do?" And hey, maybe I get lucky!

I'm so happy for you! I had so many of the same feelings at first, like I was "broken" or I just couldn't understand and no one would understand, that I had failed my family and myself.

But realizing you have a problem means you can actually take steps to improve yourself and fix it, and understanding how your mind works and why the way you feel the way you do is amazing for that. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

rkajdi posted:

Eh, not really. I mean, I have Schizoaffective Disorder. I take Lithium, and Lamictal (off label), and my quality of life has gone way up since before. I've been completely open and honest about it with my peers and employer, and I can honestly say if it's hindered my career in any way, it hasn't been bad enough for me to even notice.

I've got a buddy who's fully Schizophrenic that works as a Site Resource Engineer at the mouse company. He's never had any problems either.

I get worrying about stigma, but honestly, all of my fears have pretty much been in my head alone. Getting help is the best thing to do.