Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Thranguy posted:

The polar bear was also linked to the Walt might have cosmic Powers plot thread.

I've never heard of this so I looked it up on a wiki and it turns out Walt has loving powers? Hahaha what? I don't remember any of this poo poo

e: I've already watched the show twice and I am NOT doing it a third time. It's fine to good on the whole. But when it's bad, oh lord was it bad

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've never heard of this so I looked it up on a wiki and it turns out Walt has loving powers? Hahaha what? I don't remember any of this poo poo

e: I've already watched the show twice and I am NOT doing it a third time. It's fine to good on the whole. But when it's bad, oh lord was it bad

The tattoo episode...

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Milo and POTUS posted:

He had some ambiguous manifestation "powers", it wasnt like he was an X-Men or anything. The wiki is reaaaaaally stretching and over explaining what actually was shown. That thread was dropped when the actor seemingly aged about a decade in 3 years so they left it ambiguous and wrote him off the show.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 24, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

AccountSupervisor posted:

He had some ambiguous manifestation "powers", it wasnt like he was an X-Men or anything. That thread was dropped when the actor seemingly aged about a decade in 3 years so they left it ambiguous and wrote him off the show. Most likely had something to do with certain characters innate connection to the island.

I remember when he had a brief appearance towards the end and thinking "holy poo poo, they're finally going to resolve this". :allears:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

I remember when he had a brief appearance towards the end and thinking "holy poo poo, they're finally going to resolve this". :allears:

He did end up becoming the new guardian of the island with Hurley, which I guess resolved his arc? Walt was definitely the first incident of a big plot mystery being introduced and not really resolved satisfyingly. I think it was partially due to circumstances out of their control though and partially they didnt want to definitively explain it just for the sake of explaining it as to not write themselves into a corner with other mysteries too early in the show.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nail Rat posted:

The tattoo episode...

Yup. And the one with the spiders

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Nail Rat posted:

The tattoo episode...

Universally recognized as the worst episode of the series.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yup. And the one with the spiders

I don't remember a spider episode

EDIT: Expose! Episode sucked too

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

I don't remember a spider episode

Spider episode was the murder mystery with Paulo and Nikki getting accidently buried alive at the end.

Its a love it or hate it episode amongst fans. I personally loved it as it was a huge diversion from the typical structure of the show and was a nice break at the time. It was just a goofy who-dun-it with a funny and morbid twist at the end.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It was a bit of dumb fun and I'm fine with it.

The people who hated it probably also hated The Fly in Breaking Bad.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I don't think fan reaction to Nikki and Paulo would've been anywhere near as vitriolic if they weren't two ridiculously attractive young sexpots that felt like they'd been foisted on the show by network mandate. The whole idea of "there are only so many survivors of the Oceanic flight, background characters could become leads as established characters are killed off" had been floated in the early days of the show, but at the start of Season 3 these two bodacious hardbodies are suddenly palling around with Jack & Locke & Co. like they've always been there. Exposé was a pitch-black way to write them out of the story but also poke fun at the inelegant way the series had handled their introduction and integration to the main cast.

Jack's Tattoo episode was the one that prompted Lindelof and Cuse to go to the network and say "We gotta hash out a timetable for the finale, or you're going to get this level of wheel-spinning multiple times a year." Clearly it's a lesson that Lindelof has carried with him - Leftovers Season 1 covers the entirety of the source material and ended in a satisfying way; Season 2 was also a self-contained story where the last episode easily could've worked as the series finale if they hadn't moved forward. If he says Watchmen is going to function a singular, 9 episode story, I'm inclined to believe him.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

This episode was so dumb because the "mystery" it answered was mostly given importance by the fanbase who routinely poured over every minute detail of every screenshot and constantly tried to explain it or figure it out. It was practically a throw away line in the pilot that people really ran with as being a big deal.

Like it was definitely supposed to have an explanation, but I doubt giving Jack a personally meaningful tattoo was supposed to have entire episode revolve around it when it was conceived of.

This happened with a lot of stuff that unfortunately made its way into the writers room.

I dont know if any of you were a part of the Lost threads on here during the run but I remember there being pages and pages and pages of breakdowns and screenshots and gifs trying to figure out if a loving piece of debris flying into the turbine that explodes in the pilot was the Smoke Monster. I think its fair to say as much as the writers dropped the ball on some of the mysteries, fans certainly elevated a lot of unimportant poo poo into "mysteries" that were never intended to require big explanations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

AccountSupervisor posted:

I dont know if any of you were a part of the Lost threads on here during the run but I remember there being pages and pages and pages of breakdowns and screenshots and gifs trying to figure out if a loving piece of debris flying into the turbine that explodes in the pilot was the Smoke Monster. I think its fair to say as much as the writers dropped the ball on some of the mysteries, fans certainly elevated a lot of unimportant poo poo into "mysteries" that were never intended to require big explanations.

The Lost thread is where I cut my teeth on SA. I forgot all about the exploding engine smoke monster gif. I liked all the stick figure Lost avatars. I'm excited to watch Watchmen tonight!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

Breaking Bad also only had to do it over half as many episodes as Lost, in roughly the same amount of time.

This is one of those things that I don't think gets brought up enough in Lost discussions, and it greatly impacts why it was written the way it was. Imagine stretching the first season of Westworld into something that's 2.5 times as long. The smaller mysteries and plot threads that went nowhere in the grand scheme of things were basically stalling tactics, they were vamping for time between the plot beats they actually had planned.

Which is not to say that it shouldn't affect how we view Lost as a whole, because obviously those things stick out like a sore thumb for a lot of people. If they didn't, you wouldn't have basically everyone who watched it recognizing the Jack's Tattoo episode as being the worst one, or the final season spending too much time just sort of aimlessly moving pieces around the board before the real endgame starts. But I do think that the more glaring flaws stem from just how much time needed to be filled, especially in those first three seasons which are all more than 20 episodes a piece.

Anyways, regardless of all that stuff, The Constant is still one of the best episodes of television of all time.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

The Lost thread is where I cut my teeth on SA. I forgot all about the exploding engine smoke monster gif. I liked all the stick figure Lost avatars. I'm excited to watch Watchmen tonight!

Same, my reg date is a month before the show premiered. Id been lurking on my brothers account since 2001 but the Lost threads were pretty much where I first regularly posted.

Guess its time to obsess over another Lindelof show every week lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

“Locke is controls sand monster” will always be the best post in TVIV history.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQBmALfSFEU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Jesus christ Trent Reznor is really going to get me to pay $78 for a 3 part soundtrack. It's really loving good. But I still wish it was like a $50 3 LP set instead of 3 $26 volumes.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 24, 2019

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nail Rat posted:

Jesus christ Trent Reznor is really going to get me to pay $78 for a 3 part soundtrack. It's really loving good. But I still wish it was like a $50 3 LP set instead of 3 $26 volumes.

I'm assuming it'll be on Spotify and Apple after the last episode drops.

I loving hope so anyway.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If anyone hasn't read the Sam Hamm draft of Watchmen from the 90s, I've revisited it this week for the first time since I was a teenager and it's a wild ride. The intro is terrorists raiding the statue of liberty, the SWAT team showing up, and then...

And the ending is the definition of missing the point. From Karnak, Dr. Manhattan goes back in time, stops the lab accident, and erases himself from history. Which sends all of our heroes...

And then...

And this was my first exposure to Watchmen. I downloaded a torrent when I was 16 and it had the screenplay and comic and annotations in it. I decided to read the screenplay first. Somehow, I liked it enough to read the comic.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 24, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SalTheBard posted:

My dude, you got me so excited, but tonight is a replay of ep1: it's a Sunday Show.

Got DANG this loving slaps. :mmmhmm:
:honk:

Nail Rat posted:

:homebrew:

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

feedmyleg posted:

If anyone hasn't read the Sam Hamm draft of Watchmen from the 90s, I've revisited it this week for the first time since I was a teenager and it's a wild ride. The intro is terrorists raiding the statue of liberty, the SWAT team showing up, and then...

And the ending is the definition of missing the point. From Karnak, Dr. Manhattan goes back in time, stops the lab accident, and erases himself from history. Which sends all of our heroes...

And then...

And this was my first exposure to Watchmen. I downloaded a torrent when I was 16 and it had the screenplay and comic and annotations in it. I decided to read the screenplay first. Somehow, I liked it enough to read the comic.

My pettest peeve are people referring to the superhero team as The Watchmen. Even the host of the Variety podcast kept referring to the 80s group as The Watchmen.

There is no Watchmen. It is a metaphor. There was the Minutemen in the late 30s, the briefly assembled Crimebusters in the 60s, and that's it. The whole story of the comic is an impromptu reunion.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’d love those albums, but I don’t have a turntable. Are they going to be downloadable or on cd or anything?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feedmyleg posted:

If anyone hasn't read the Sam Hamm draft of Watchmen from the 90s, I've revisited it this week for the first time since I was a teenager and it's a wild ride.

My favorite part is at the very end:

quote:

And on RORSCHACH's final vicious HISS, we SHOCK CUT TO BLACK and

FADE OUT.

That's right folks, we fade out from a black screen. That's quality loving screenwriting!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn’t that script partly what inspired

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

I remember liking this. Still kinda do, tbh. It at least gets that it's wrong

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

My dude, you got me so excited, but tonight is a replay of ep1: it's a Sunday Show.

I haven't watched Episode 1 yet. It's on my DVR!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The best thing about the Snyder movie was a contest they ran where people made 80s-style commercials for in-story products and uploaded them to a WB youtube channel. I believe the winner got to remake the ad with a Warner crew and a few ended up on Veidt’s monitor bank at the end. Maybe the Nostalgia commercial in the intro was the remade winner.

They were all pretty funny and very period-accurate. There was a really good one with Veidt’s Crimebusters toys that he’s trying to make.

I hope they’re all still up somewhere.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Steve2911 posted:

I'm assuming it'll be on Spotify and Apple after the last episode drops.

I loving hope so anyway.

Yeah but it's seeming like it's good enough to be worth having the vinyl, which is good...and bad.

JethroMcB posted:

My favorite part is at the very end:

That's right folks, we fade out from a black screen. That's quality loving screenwriting!

Blacker than the blackest black, times infinity!

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 24, 2019

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I think it's pretty likely that the old man is the Hooded Justice, just not the one we know from the graphic novel. He's the original Hooded Justice - the first superhero, he invented the entire concept (the Tulsa Massacre opening pretty clearly references the origin story of Superman, the first fictional superhero in reality), and then some white guy copied him wholesale and found popular success doing it because the skin you could see in the eye-holes was white.

In this world, superheroes were cultural appropriation.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's a slightly weird retcon to me, because Hooded Justice's costume is clearly meant to look like a Klansman.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Which I really don't get at all.

She loving HATED him, even if she understood it was her mother's choice to reconcile with him and have actual consensual sex and a baby. He didn't have a shred of anything she respected, from his violent ways to his near-rape of her mother. Maybe it'll be elaborated on later, but it really seems odd.

I just reread the novel and one of her last lines is about how shes thinking of changing the costume and name and carrying a gun. In the comic it reads like it could be a sarcastic joke though.

Also wow the Sam Hamm version of Ozymandias is dogshitttt. In addition to the plan being terrible his dialog doesn't even read like him and he smokes.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 24, 2019

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Roth posted:

That's a slightly weird retcon to me, because Hooded Justice's costume is clearly meant to look like a Klansman.

I always thought it looked more like a medieval executioner/hangmans hood.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I hope we get to see at least tobacco crack pipe thing in the new series. I loved that little touch from the comic.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 25, 2019

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Colonel Whitey posted:

Here’s Lindelof on the issue of making cops seem sympathetic. I think it’s a good answer, I’m intrigued to see where the show takes it.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/22/771998690/watchmen-creator-damon-lindelof-not-talking-about-race-felt-irresponsible

This is really interesting to me. The Tulsa Police Department, while being largely portrayed as the protagonists, are still examples of how unregulated power and authority lead to abuse. At the same time, there's something notably un-police about them, too; this is a post-Keene Act world still, but the entire PD has this eerie Justice League feel. With the Tulsa Massacre happening just 20-odd years before the appearance of Nite Owl I, perhaps vigilantism hit Tulsa particularly hard, both as a response to the Massacre and an ironic mimicking of Reeves/The Lone Ranger. That combined with the Keene Act and the Redford presidency might have transformed Tulsa's PD into a singularly-unique "community police/masked hero" entity which is more preoccupied with fighting terrorism/crime syndicates than what most PDs do in their day-to-day. There's very little evidence that the Keene Act just turned most other heroes into police detectives, as the cops in the comic are your run-of-the-mill Law & Order types. It could be that Tulsa's "justice league vs. the legion of doom" vibe is very specific to that city and area, and the perception is that police aren't agents of a broken system, but champions of the community - the audience, of course, gets to see what happens when they're Article Four and no one has cameras in the bathroom.

E: on second thought, this doesn't necessarily vibe with the White Night being the inciting incident for Tulsa PD's current status quo, nor Regina King formerly being a (presumably fascist rebel-stomping) cop in Vietnam

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 24, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

KoRMaK posted:

Watch the 6 hours of the motion comic first and then when you get to the end and forget why you started watch it you'll be elated that there is now new content

aight i gotta stop postin

Thank you for these BTW!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MaoistBanker posted:

Hmmmm... wonder who the kid from Tulsa was terrorized by

Stop posting spoilers

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

muscles like this! posted:

Stop posting spoilers

yeah can the three people who have seen the first 6 episodes like...chill for a few weeks

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

muscles like this! posted:

Stop posting spoilers

There was literally a klansmen murdering people in the opening scene but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Necrothatcher posted:

I hope we get to see at least tobacco crack pipe thing in the new series. I loved that little touch from the comic.

I love poo poo like this.

The show actually made me go through my closet full of boxes of books and track down the comic so I can reread it.