Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I mean, I assume getting caught is the thing they regret the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

after doing some heavy research on bitcoin i've decided to pull the trigger

e: after doing some heavy research on the armed men at my front door i've decided to pull the trigger

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

hamtaro posted:

after doing some heavy research on bitcoin i've decided to pull the trigger

I miss zaurg too

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

I mean, I assume getting caught is the thing they regret the most.

My only regret... is having... bitcoinitis

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

El_Elegante posted:

I miss zaurg too

The last thing he did before he left was double his fun (fast food) budget for the month so he wouldn't go over for 3 fantasy football leagues he entered :laugh:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

poverty goat posted:

Exchanges and drug dealers make money regardless of the price of bircoin

exchanges turn out to be making way less money, because they rely on volume, and volume's dried up. That's why they're getting into listing dissolute near-dead shitcoins (that VCs happen to have massive bags of), ever-more-complicated margin trading, and Initial Exchange Offerings.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Anyone have any info on OkCoin? Theyre sending out headhunters to recruit and I wanna know how loving stupid it is

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Barudak posted:

Anyone have any info on OkCoin? Theyre sending out headhunters to recruit and I wanna know how loving stupid it is

It's probably okay

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

divabot posted:

exchanges turn out to be making way less money, because they rely on volume, and volume's dried up. That's why they're getting into listing dissolute near-dead shitcoins (that VCs happen to have massive bags of), ever-more-complicated margin trading, and Initial Exchange Offerings.

Also exchanges raising their fees. Coinbase got rid of their 0% fee for liquidity-providing orders and that killed it for me, and presumably a lot of others. I think it's safe to assume that the only other algo traders left belong to the exchange or are playing a different game.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ItBurns posted:

Also exchanges raising their fees. Coinbase got rid of their 0% fee for liquidity-providing orders and that killed it for me, and presumably a lot of others. I think it's safe to assume that the only other algo traders left belong to the exchange or are playing a different game.

You aren’t suppose to touch the poop. Yuck.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Really. Now go wash your hands. And brain.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Bitcoin: ten years of laffs, one friend lost the poop.

What's your summary?

Ps. Is this the end? Has the laffchain finally gone to the moon?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I'm a laff bagholder

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Dawncloack posted:

Bitcoin: ten years of laffs, one friend lost the poop.

What's your summary?

Once btc goes sub-1,000 again I think we can call it laughmoon time.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Pretty sure "over 9000" has always been the traditional benchmark for something being "IMBA".

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Once btc goes sub-1,000 again I think we can call it laughmoon time.

I don't think it will ever happen. People will stop mining before that happen, stopping the network or leave it vulnerable to 51% attack.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 23, 2019

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bleusilences posted:

I don't think it will ever happen. People will stop mining before that happen, stopping the network or leave it vulnerable to 51% attack.

It might happen if bitcoin vending machinesatms were banned.

The ransomware and drug money is probably ding 90% of the price support.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Zuckerberg testifying on Libra among other things before a House commitee and getting demolished: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ySR-GM7jNQ

e: oh wow, Loudermilk just spent 5 minutes sucking him off and then compared him to Trump.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 23, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Man, there are some ridiculous people in the house. :psyduck:

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Dawncloack posted:

There is presumably nothing which can stop this spooky ride.

Bitcoin is so horrible to actually use, that pretty much anywhere that adopts it quickly stops.

Basically nobody is using Bitcoin to transact anything legal.

Bitcoin still can't scale.

Hundreds/thousands have lost their homes, retirements, or butts to sudden market swings.

Apparently this is all good news, and a sure sign that (Your Company) should open its own crypto today.

It's like Beanie Babies. Somebody somewhere out there is still HODLing those as they fall asleep to the gentle sound of their colony of feral cats raping each other to death.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Khorne posted:

Man, there are some ridiculous people in the house. :psyduck:

there are a couple dozen congressmen who are tea party wackos that initially got elected off of obama hate. I can assure you any crazy poo poo you saw happens in every committee hearing they attend.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I love bitcoin because believers touted it as a currency safe from banks but proceeded to store all their coins in an exchange. They centralised all their currency in a holding company and let the holding company manage their transactions hmmmmm

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeemJlrNx2Q

Since we're posting the Zucc

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Stink Billyums posted:

there are a couple dozen congressmen who are tea party wackos that initially got elected off of obama hate. I can assure you any crazy poo poo you saw happens in every committee hearing they attend.

I mean sure the tea party are stand-out crazy, but that's like saying the real problem with your house are the unusually large new cockroaches which started fighting the others for crumbs lately.

ilmucche posted:

I love bitcoin because believers touted it as a currency safe from banks but proceeded to store all their coins in an exchange. They centralised all their currency in a holding company and let the holding company manage their transactions hmmmmm

Bitcoin defenders seem to be of the opinion that the only way to reasonably transact Bitcoin at scale is to do all your business off-ledger and batch the processing after the fact.

So you give your money to a mafia bookie, and that mafia bookie swears on his mothers grave that he'll post that transaction to the Blockchain tonight.

Sounds legit to me.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

revwinnebago posted:

I mean sure the tea party are stand-out crazy, but that's like saying the real problem with your house are the unusually large new cockroaches which started fighting the others for crumbs lately.

Bitcoin defenders seem to be of the opinion that the only way to reasonably transact Bitcoin at scale is to do all your business off-ledger and batch the processing after the fact.

So you give your money to a mafia bookie, and that mafia bookie swears on his mothers grave that he'll post that transaction to the Blockchain tonight.

Sounds legit to me.

Hardcore butters actually believe you are supposed to do all your transactions yourself by hand. No fancy smart contracts, no third-party mobile apps, none of that poo poo. Because they understand that they can and will get scammed on every step otherwise. They also understand that it's huge hassle, so they only HODL whatever coins they manage to buy in person without being robbed in a dark alley.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/wyatt_privilege/status/1187426849351225344?s=19

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
bitcoin is dumb but it's ridiculous that this sim swapping can happen like that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Austin316ths/status/1187431621990977539

What a lovely cut for the AT&T workers

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Office Space level crimes.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Mozi posted:

bitcoin is dumb but it's ridiculous that this sim swapping can happen like that

Yeah, crypto has very little to do with this. Basically anyone that does any kind of online banking or investment can get SIM swapped and robbed. Especially when it's being done by the store employees themselves.

The real story is how completely unprepared anyone at AT&T was for dealing with that kind of scam.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 24, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Yeah, crypto has very little to do with this. Basically anyone that does any kind of online banking or investment on a phone can get SIM swapped and robbed. Especially when it's being done by the store employees themselves.

The real story is how completely unprepared anyone at AT&T was for dealing with that kind of scam.

a smartphone is like the internet itself, you really shouldn't ever put anything on it that would produce a doomsday scenario if shared with your parents, the police, or a hacker from belarus

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 24, 2019

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
:shrug: if you have to use two-factor authentication for anything that requires SMS, you're at risk for this sort of thing in principle.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I wonder how the thieves knew he was a good target. Or maybe they just had the AT&T workers on a "contract" and they did several of these takeovers.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
He’s a bitcoiner. There’s no way he didn’t preach to literally the entire world about his newly acquired butts. They’re like vegans and parents in one.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The nightmare of getting a call center rep so dumb he tells you the security department doesn’t exist.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

poverty goat posted:

a smartphone is like the internet itself, you really shouldn't ever put anything on it that would produce a doomsday scenario if shared with your parents, the police, or a hacker from belarus

Like ideally I shouldn't do anything online that I don't want to risk losing, but almost everyone pays bills or does banking through an online portal, and most banks require two-factor identification using your phone and receiving an SMS. Some allow you to get your code by email, but that probably is even easier to gain entry to than a user's phone account.

SIM-swapping is some hardcore bullshit because even the most security-concious person has absolutely no control over whether it will happen to them. People can just walk into your phone provider's store and take your number while offering absolutely no proof of ID or any other security measures that you would come to expect from your single most important communication line.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Like ideally I shouldn't do anything online that I don't want to risk losing, but almost everyone pays bills or does banking through an online portal, and most banks require two-factor identification using your phone and receiving an SMS. Some allow you to get your code by email, but that probably is even easier to gain entry to than a user's phone account.

SIM-swapping is some hardcore bullshit because even the most security-concious person has absolutely no control over whether it will happen to them. People can just walk into your phone provider's store and take your number while offering absolutely no proof of ID or any other security measures that you would come to expect from your single most important communication line.

And even if you somehow found a MVNO that bought into security the number portability system lets other carriers steal your number without much info required.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

El_Elegante posted:

The nightmare of getting a call center rep so dumb he tells you the security department doesn’t exist.

or they heard 'bitcoin' and decided to gently caress with the guy, in which case they are a hero

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is there any shitcoin thats actually called shitcoin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Anonymous Zebra posted:

This is why I use a virtual burner phone for all my SMS poo poo.