Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

A phone call came in.
"We need you in the server room, there's a water leak"

Hurried over, and the custodian was using a carpet cleaner to pull water out of the hallway carpet next to the server room. Took a look inside, and thankfully, there's no water dripping anywhere; just some wet concrete by the conduit coming in through the floor.
However, one of the 4" pipes was completely full of water, and whenever it overflowed, it got onto the concrete and seeped through the wall to the hallway carpet. None of the other conduits have any water in them (and there's like 4 4" pipes and 6+ 2" pipes). It's helpfully labeled 'QWEST', but we have no idea where it goes, and there's one very thin cable and one thick black cable coming out of it. Couldn't grok the building blueprints to determine where they go to guess where the water is infiltrating from. We're assuming that the conduit broke and rainwater's seeping in, but we haven't had any rain in two days, so...

Custodian came in with a wetvac and she pulled like two containers worth of faintly-sewage-smelling water out of it (she said it was clear water, though); I'll check tomorrow morning to see if it's filled up again. I'm worried that if it rains really hard, it'll back up and raise the water level in the server room faster than it can seep through the wall, risking the server hardware.
I suspect we'll have to have some inspector with a CCTV pipe crawler come out to find the problem before a sinkhole opens in the foyer or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

gently caress Qwest, now CenturyLink.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

gently caress Qwest, now CenturyLink.

A-Goddamned-Men

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Macaroni posted:

Dumb question: what does FDR stand for?

bell jar posted:

not a lot since the polio struck

Not letting this gold get buried on the last page.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

bell jar posted:

ahahaha off the top turnbuckle gently caress

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like a pavement chamber is filling up with water and it's finding its way down the duct, it's the telcos problem to fix.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pyroclastic posted:

A phone call came in.
"We need you in the server room, there's a water leak"

Hurried over, and the custodian was using a carpet cleaner to pull water out of the hallway carpet next to the server room. Took a look inside, and thankfully, there's no water dripping anywhere; just some wet concrete by the conduit coming in through the floor.
However, one of the 4" pipes was completely full of water, and whenever it overflowed, it got onto the concrete and seeped through the wall to the hallway carpet. None of the other conduits have any water in them (and there's like 4 4" pipes and 6+ 2" pipes). It's helpfully labeled 'QWEST', but we have no idea where it goes, and there's one very thin cable and one thick black cable coming out of it. Couldn't grok the building blueprints to determine where they go to guess where the water is infiltrating from. We're assuming that the conduit broke and rainwater's seeping in, but we haven't had any rain in two days, so...

Custodian came in with a wetvac and she pulled like two containers worth of faintly-sewage-smelling water out of it (she said it was clear water, though); I'll check tomorrow morning to see if it's filled up again. I'm worried that if it rains really hard, it'll back up and raise the water level in the server room faster than it can seep through the wall, risking the server hardware.
I suspect we'll have to have some inspector with a CCTV pipe crawler come out to find the problem before a sinkhole opens in the foyer or something.

Could always try the tested method of cutting the cables and see what van shows up.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Thanks Ants posted:

Sounds like a pavement chamber is filling up with water and it's finding its way down the duct, it's the telcos problem to fix.

It's CenturyLink, so it will never get fixed.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

u brexit ukip it posted:

Could always try the tested method of cutting the cables and see what van shows up.

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's CenturyLink, so it will never get fixed.

We're one of CenturyLink's vendors and the other month they had a location where they accidentally disconnected their internet connection and had to file a ticket with themselves to send someone out to reconnect it.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

bell jar posted:

lmao this kicks rear end

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

duz posted:

We're one of CenturyLink's vendors and the other month they had a location where they accidentally disconnected their internet connection and had to file a ticket with themselves to send someone out to reconnect it.

uh

I don't work for CenturyLink but I work for a different ISP and, uh...this isn't normal?

I'd be more concerned if there was a problem with actually getting the tickets submitted, but we have five different ticket schemas that I know about, and I'm sure plenty more that I don't. And if for nothing else, it'll help with the design by committee problem so the NOC doesn't have to use the same ticket schema as the call center or Corporate IT, each who have their own needs. We have a department who's most major function is shifting through the call center tickets, looking for trends, and opening systemic tickets based on those trends.

The main key is that the line of communication is clear and easy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It was more the disconnecting themselves I was referring to as their failing. I was bringing up the ticket to restore it as a contrast to CenturyLink just breaking sometimes and not really caring.

duz fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 24, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

duz posted:

It was more the disconnecting themselves I was referring to as their failing.

I still don't get it.

If a tech is rolling then they better drat well have a ticket for documentation and reporting purposes.

e: then again, my company is a bit insane with tickets and we go through thousands of tickets a day, most of them getting opened and closed within minutes by automated systems.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
How can you not get that an ISP disconnecting their own internet connection is a major whoopsie that points to a failure of the whole system?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Arquinsiel posted:

How can you not get that an ISP disconnecting their own internet connection is a major whoopsie that points to a failure of the whole system?

My lack of reading comprehension.

That's what.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's okay. You're still a good doggo

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

It's okay. You're still a good doggo

Thank you

and your'e a good titty kisser

stevewm
May 10, 2005

duz posted:

Having dealt with CentruyLink.. I am surprised they didn't then immediately close the ticket as Solved and never actually show up to fix their own service.

Because they do this to us all the drat time.

When we where trying to get service to a new building, they kept closing the order as completed and working, when they hadn't even shown up to trench cable to the building. They did this 5 (!!) times. We eventually got Spectrum installed instead and canceled CenturyLink entirely. They called 2 months later to schedule installation, again, on service we had canceled 2 months prior.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

stevewm posted:

Having dealt with CentruyLink.. I am surprised they didn't then immediately close the ticket as Solved and never actually show up to fix their own service.

Because they do this to us all the drat time.

When we where trying to get service to a new building, they kept closing the order as completed and working, when they hadn't even shown up to trench cable to the building. They did this 5 (!!) times. We eventually got Spectrum installed instead and canceled CenturyLink entirely. They called 2 months later to schedule installation, again, on service we had canceled 2 months prior.

I think I've shared the story before, but short repeat version: CenturyLink (then Qwest) was supposed to move our circuit and all our DIDs to a new building. They did a temp fix on it and promised to finish the work later. The temp fix would randomly be undone by one of their engineers anywhere from 1-8 weeks (I think they had an irregular audit of temp fixes and would just blow them away without checking for previous work orders), and I had to spend hours on my cell getting bounced around departments until they enabled another temp fix.

I eventually got fired because my boss thought this was all somehow my fault, even when I left instructions on who to call if the phones fell over when I went on my first vacation in 3 years. Instead of doing that, she panicked and blew up my phone for hours while I was visiting a museum and attempting to use my art history education for the first time since college. Obviously a great use of everyone's time.

Things eventually got fixed permanently. Only because someone in my social circle knew the Qwest VP for our region, and she went after people (like two weeks before I got sacked, lol). When I had to deal with a CenturyLink fuckup at a later job, I tried to get in contact and found out she'd retired super young and fled the industry.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Just gotta install Crystal reports 2013 on a new 2019 server.

"Failed to update cache for execution. Program will exit."

Top Google hits do not resolve e.g. renaming the temp packages etc. Anyone encounter this?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Are you right clicking the install file and running as an administrator?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yes

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's the end of my knowledge.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Same :sigh:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm guessing you don't have support on it? According to their product page, that version isn't supported on anything newer than Server 2012.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hahaha thanks. We're acting as an in between party so I assumed we were given comparable products.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Hahaha thanks. We're acting as an in between party so I assumed we were given comparable products.

:pseudo: Dangerous assumptions for $500 Ken.
:allears: This assumption, when made by an hourly tech, tends to cost roughly $500 to fix.
:pseudo: What is 'most of them?'
:allears: Judges? Is that correct? Can you be more specific?
:pseudo: Uhh, what is compatibility and interoperability?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

retired super young and fled the industry.

Now that would be a great thread title if the present one wasn't great already.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Not my problem, just one that's occurring in my vicinity today.

Person A, at $company, needs to send a largish file to person B at $vendor. Too large to email. Company has a strict policy that all large files must go through Box and all other services for the sharing of files are hard blocked on the network. Vendor has a similar policy, but centered around Ignyte(?), and all other services are verboten, with the net result of both people being locked out of the only service available to the other person. My advice of "technical issue, make it IT's problem" has been largely ignored, so there's most likely going to be a 280 mb PowerPoint being shoved down an email service of some kind. Welp.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Egnyte allows you to put a file up and make a shareable link, so long as your install is accessable from the outside.

I know Google drive, box etc all have similar features. If you make a public sharable file and outside access is forbidden 100% / you can't change permissions then your IT sucks and needs to be called out.

It's a basic Tennant of all file shares in 'the cloud' or cloud-ish

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Roundboy posted:

Egnyte allows you to put a file up and make a shareable link, so long as your install is accessable from the outside.

I know Google drive, box etc all have similar features. If you make a public sharable file and outside access is forbidden 100% / you can't change permissions then your IT sucks and needs to be called out.

Kind of pointless to blame bad file permission settings if $company's firewall blocks links to all other file sharing services other than Box, and $vendor blocks all links to any file sharing service that isn't Egnyte.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Roundboy posted:

You missed the fact that they are refusing to let IT address it as a tech issue

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I sometimes miss dealing with websites being denied and all the petty drama from it. We had to deal with file site roulette for a long time, as customers/vendors would use the shadiest goddamn sites on the planet. It wasn't until we had a good content filter that most of that went away.

My absolute favorite was when HR decided that anything controversial should be blocked. To them, which meant sites that where classied as Religions or Gambling were blocked, and also many social outreach/charity sites. So, imagine how well this went over when you have branches in states like Utah, and suddenly all the Mormon church sites are blocked. Or the websites of catholic schools. Or charities like the Salvation Army. The funniest wasn't just the fallout of that, it was that someone got mad about that, and spent most of their day finding sites that weren't blocked, and then using that to make a point.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The world is ending and I'm its savior.

We got about 10 inches of rain in a 12 hour period over the weekend and our main academic building decided to let us witness the firepower of fully blocked and uncleaned drain spouts. Out of 15 classrooms, 11 had multiple ceiling tiles erupt in a torrent of filthy rain water. I was up here most of Saturday determining water damaged electronics and moving working computers to safe areas. All told we lost 24 machines. RIP in peace, brave lads.

I arrived early this morning to move computers back to now dry classrooms and was assaulted by the following:

• The gradebook program faculty uses to record grades has not opened for a week. Today was the first I have been made aware of this.
  • The phones for our residence halls have not worked for a week. Today was the first I have been made aware of this.
  • A projector fell off the ceiling in one of the few classrooms with a working computer.
  • The phones for our entire admissions/PR department are suddenly not working.
  • Adobe is suddenly reporting our licensing is incompatible with our products, so no one can edit PDFs and all of our digital art classes are SOL.
  • Purchasing cannot access the page to submit requisitions.
  • Government webpages 2+ subdomains deep are no longer accessible on our network.
  • All of the speakers in a particular building are blipping like a cell phone is close to them and I don't know what the gently caress even.
  • I dropped my banana and someone stepped on it.

Happy Monday :stonklol:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

larchesdanrew posted:

:911:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

larchesdanrew posted:

Government webpages 2+ subdomains deep are no longer accessible on our network.

What? How does this even theoretically happen?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

larchesdanrew posted:

The world is ending and I'm its savior.

We got about 10 inches of rain in a 12 hour period over the weekend and our main academic building decided to let us witness the firepower of fully blocked and uncleaned drain spouts. Out of 15 classrooms, 11 had multiple ceiling tiles erupt in a torrent of filthy rain water. I was up here most of Saturday determining water damaged electronics and moving working computers to safe areas. All told we lost 24 machines. RIP in peace, brave lads.

I arrived early this morning to move computers back to now dry classrooms and was assaulted by the following:

• The gradebook program faculty uses to record grades has not opened for a week. Today was the first I have been made aware of this.
  • The phones for our residence halls have not worked for a week. Today was the first I have been made aware of this.
  • A projector fell off the ceiling in one of the few classrooms with a working computer.
  • The phones for our entire admissions/PR department are suddenly not working.
  • Adobe is suddenly reporting our licensing is incompatible with our products, so no one can edit PDFs and all of our digital art classes are SOL.
  • Purchasing cannot access the page to submit requisitions.
  • Government webpages 2+ subdomains deep are no longer accessible on our network.
  • All of the speakers in a particular building are blipping like a cell phone is close to them and I don't know what the gently caress even.

Happy Monday :stonklol:

Godspeed brave soldier.

totalnewbie posted:

Completely unrelated to his situation, I have seen this happen with incredibly contrived routing policies that require some, not all, internet access to go through the hub (as in hub and spoke).

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Is gonna be DNS

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Problem: I got a 3rd monitor over the weekend.

The thing with my department is, we're supposed to be a technical operation, but we're not. So the people in charge of our machines think they're IT masters, but they're not. So we're completely unmanaged by IT. They provide the hardware, and leave us to figure poo poo out ourselves. The people in charge of this think it's fine because they think they know better than IT. They don't.

The 3 monitor upgrade was done with spare hardware we had laying around. So my 3rd monitor is a 1280x1024 piece of poo poo from 2007 connected to my PC via VGA to USB adapter. Have you ever used a monitor plugged in via USB? It's...not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

totalnewbie posted:

The only thing I can come up with is something screwy going on with redirects. Our web filter kinda shits the bed if there are too many redirects. But the web filter and firewall aren't even showing traffic being passed when these pages are accessed. They just don't exist as far as our network is concerned. But you can open them on your phone. But if you use your phone as a hotspot and try to use one of our computers, they don't exist again. It's the weirdest fuckin thing.

klosterdev posted:

Is gonna be DNS

This is suspect #2