Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Commander is edh yeah? I see both tossed around and have gotten this far assuming they're the same thing but never actually asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I'm gonna jam a Fevered Visions turbo fog build and probably lose every game but hopefully have fun

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Shiiiiiiit, I also just remembered from like 2 standards ago the Mono Blue Prison deck that ran Prism Rings and engulf the shores

God damnit, why are they making me care about thos format so hard

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

Commander is edh yeah? I see both tossed around and have gotten this far assuming they're the same thing but never actually asked.

They're the same thing, yeah. If you see cEDH mentioned it just means "competitive EDH" where it's the exact same format taken to its highest possible power level.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Shiiiiiiit, I also just remembered from like 2 standards ago the Mono Blue Prison deck that ran Prism Rings and engulf the shores

That was such an rear end in a top hat deck.

... Kinda wonder how good it is with a broader card pool. I'd build it

Framboise fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 24, 2019

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

80s James Hetfield posted:

omg I still have that one sleeved up

it was such a bastard of a deck and Torrential Gearhulk is a HOUSE

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Shout-out to Tubgoat for inspiring me to build a (probably bad) Ub self-mill deck for Pioneer. At least I can buy it on MTGO for mad cheap.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

ilmucche posted:

Yeah, they're the same thing. Elder Dragon Highlander is the original name (and "commanders" were called "generals"), but when it became a WotC-supported format it was officially christened Commander - I think it was to avoid trademark issues with using the word "Highlander" but I don't actually remember.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Sit on my Jace posted:

Yeah, they're the same thing. Elder Dragon Highlander is the original name (and "commanders" were called "generals"), but when it became a WotC-supported format it was officially christened Commander - I think it was to avoid trademark issues with using the word "Highlander" but I don't actually remember.

I think it was more because they didn’t want to have to explain to casual players why it’s called EDH in every product. “See, it’s highlander because there can be only one (of a card) and then the elder dragons were these cards from a set that came out in 1994 and someone made some highlander decks with those cards and thought it was cool and the name stuck because it’s cool.”

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Framboise posted:

They're the same thing, yeah. If you see cEDH mentioned it just means "competitive EDH" where it's the exact same format taken to its highest possible power level.

That was such an rear end in a top hat deck.

... Kinda wonder how good it is with a broader card pool. I'd build it

Let's brew this!

I'd also like to jam something with Sphinx's Tutelage and Nexus of Fate.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

So, is Pioneer just to scam people who missed the boat on buying into Modern? Like "oh this time I'll get in on the ground floor!". It seems insanely stupid to buy any cards for a deck right now, but I also didn't play from RtR to Kaladesh so I guess I have to wait until bans happen. Doesn't this format cover the worst standards in magic history?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A Moose posted:

So, is Pioneer just to scam people who missed the boat on buying into Modern? Like "oh this time I'll get in on the ground floor!". It seems insanely stupid to buy any cards for a deck right now, but I also didn't play from RtR to Kaladesh so I guess I have to wait until bans happen. Doesn't this format cover the worst standards in magic history?

None of that really matters. WOTC is holding PTQ's for this as early as next weekend on MTGO. Leagues are out. Big Paper Tournaments are already scheduled. This things has all the support needed to last so buckle up.

Don't be surprised to see a supplementary set just for this format soon.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I have no intention of actually buying into the format aside from maybe a few cheap cards to get the deck I already have from old Dominaria standard. Until speculation calms down (and prices with them), necessary bans are figured out, and a meta is established, I'll take a second look. My excitement is a cautious one. I enjoyed modern before it became too big and expensive for its own good this mostly feels like "modern, but smaller and less expensive".

Best to get playsets of shocks while they're still in standard though.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Feeling overwhelmed by the different formats. What do you guys like to play?

Having gotten back into paper for first time since childhood and having a few years where I played a decent amount of MtGO for re-entry I prefer draft in terms of an even playing field. I also enjoy standard and trying to brew a deck that does ok at FNM but I usually have at least one or two matches a week against the min/max or broken deck de jour.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

having great fun in brawl against:

- ashiok mill
- niv mizzet draw stuff
- oko ramp

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Aaron just said on the live stream that the Mystery Booster is not related to Pioneer.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Tainen posted:

Aaron just said on the live stream that the Mystery Booster is not related to Pioneer.
Not sure if better or worse, tbqh.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tainen posted:

You can either buy singles to build a deck to your liking... or you can trade it all for what's in this box.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Owlbear Camus posted:

You can either buy singles to build a deck to your liking... or you can trade it all for what's in this box.

Ugh, it’s gonna be a tubgoat in the box, isn’t it?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Pontius Pilate posted:

Ugh, it’s gonna be a tubgoat in the box, isn’t it?
Surprise, motherfucker!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Mystery Booster is *spins wheel* one each of every Un basic

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Mystery Booster is *spins wheel* one each of every Un basic
That is considerably better than anything I'd expect from the re-packing companies who supply Target and Walmart.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A big flaming stink posted:

Wait what he's from RTR!

....m13? But there's literally a quote from a character on ravnica on the card

Flavor fail!! :argh: :argh:

He was the promo foil for the red m13 intro deck even! It was the first thing I bought and I still run that krenko as a commander

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

That is considerably better than anything I'd expect from the re-packing companies who supply Target and Walmart.

Remember when there was one that was Kamigawa stuff that had a fuckin Jitte in it

Also id buy cases of the Un booster

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Remember when there was one that was Kamigawa stuff that had a fuckin Jitte in it

Also id buy cases of the Un booster
:stare: I do not remember this, no.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

:stare: I do not remember this, no.

Yeah it was like, six or seven years ago, there was some set content Kamigawa product that included either Jitte or Top and one of the repackers got their hands on it

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
There was also the thing a couple years back where a bunch of judge promo Azusa's somehow got into a bunch of bulk repacks at Wal-Mart as the "token rare" with the other one being like...Thalia's Lancers, I think?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Wasn't jitte in one of the theme decks? Kamigawa was before my Magic time.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Feeling overwhelmed by the different formats. What do you guys like to play?

I play modern as I invested into a deck for it based on an old innistrad deck. Starting to play some legacy. Standard, and soon likely pioneer, I treat as kitchen table. I'll buy a booster or two when I play at the lgs along with prereleases and whatever I have gets played. Pioneer will be digging through my old standard cards and bodging something legal together.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ItBreathes posted:

yeah the rat one

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

Yup, it was the rats theme deck I think.

Tainen posted:

Lol, of course it isn't. Somehow WotC's inability to coordinate anything still amazes me. Like, I'm still baffled at Brawl not having been created specifically for Arena.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Jeoh posted:

having great fun in brawl against:

- ashiok mill
- niv mizzet draw stuff
- oko ramp

Wow you’ve played against a significantly more varied meta than I have. I have played against ashiok mill 4 times, and gadwick the wizened mill once.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

Wow you’ve played against a significantly more varied meta than I have. I have played against ashiok mill 4 times, and gadwick the wizened mill once.

Wow that meta seems awesome

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

A Moose posted:

The cut-off excludes a lot of problem children like Chrome Mox and Mox Opal, Faithless Looting, Griselbrand, the OG Eldrazi Titans, and the entirety of Time Spiral block.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The cut-off excludes a lot of problem children like Chrome Mox and Mox Opal, Faithless Looting, Griselbrand, the OG Eldrazi Titans, and the entirety of Time Spiral block.

In exchange for cutting off almost everything that can possibly answer the myriad bullshit that came later

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Wow that meta seems awesome

Update: I have countered the meta by playing persistent petitioners mill myself but with lab man jace as my commander. Slammed out the wins, now to never play this again.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Nexus seems like it could be pretty broken in Pioneer. Matt Nass already made up a test list and DTT seems pretty broken with Wilderness Rec and Nexus.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

TheKingofSprings posted:

In exchange for cutting off almost everything that can possibly answer the myriad bullshit that came later

There are good answer cards to every archetype in the format

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Feasting Troll King is loving bonkers and I'm never passing it ever again.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1187531350192115714

dicks out for field everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

Abrade, Abzan Charm, Abrupt Decay, Anguished Unmaking, Assassin's Trophy, Bedevil, Bile Blight, Blink of an Eye, Cast Down, Despark, Disfigure, all before E.

All Modern has extra is Dismember, Path to Exile, and Terminate. Not minor things, but it's not nearly the gulf you're describing.