Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I personally would do a touch more of everything, but that's also assuming you're marinating a decent amount of food at once. If you're just doing like a breast or two at a time that's probably fine. I agree you're definitely not overseasoning at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I generally just chuck in whatever spices I fancy and it usually turns out OK. My wife says I use too much cumin, but she’s wrong: I use exactly the right amount of cumin every time.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

big black turnout posted:

This is what I use, adapted from Alton

Creamed Corn Cornbread

Ingredients
1-cup yellow, stone-ground cornmeal
1 cup white, finely ground cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 1⁄2 cup creamed corn
2 tablespoons corn oil

Directions
Preheat oven to 425°F Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.
In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.
In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly.
Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add more buttermilk to the batter.
Add 2 tablespoons oil to the cast iron skillet. Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and springs back upon the touch, about 20 minutes.

I want to like this, because it seems like a Southern lad like Alton Brown should know a thing or two about cornbread.

But... Creamed Corn? Like, canned creamed corn? Yech, that poo poo is nasty.
Is that considered a pantry staple down South? I associate it with nasty public school lunches.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

I want to like this, because it seems like a Southern lad like Alton Brown should know a thing or two about cornbread.

Is that considered a pantry staple down South? I associate it with nasty public school lunches.

It's a primary ingredient in corn casserole as well. It's like canned cream of mushroom soup, you're not supposed to eat it you're supposed to cook cheap midwestern/southern food with it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I toss in all kinds of spices and eventually you start to realize that like maybe 1/3 of the stuff in there is actually distinguishable in the marinade and you can pare it down pretty quick.

One of my favorite marinades for chicken these days is 4 parts fish sauce 4 part lime juice 2 part sambal olek 2 part sesame oil and 1 part sugar. Marinade for a few hours / overnight, sousvide, finish off on the grill.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

That Works posted:

One of my favorite marinades for chicken these days is 4 parts fish sauce 4 part lime juice 2 part sambal olek 2 part sesame oil and 1 part sugar. Marinade for a few hours / overnight, sousvide, finish off on the grill.

This sounds freaking amazing, and I will absolutely be doing that this week. Thanks!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, we used to have it all the time. I've never been a fan of it in cornbread though tbh.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Best online vendor for dried porcini mushrooms? Afraid of how cheap some of them are on Amazon

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

dino. posted:

at that point, any benefit you'd get from induction is negated anyways. if you want that gently caress off big pressure canner to actually hit heat in this century, get a turkey fryer, and crank it.

Do you actually have problems with heating up a pressure canner? I can get mine up to 15psi for canning normally-unsafe stuff on coils no problem.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That Works posted:

maybe 1/3 of the stuff in there is actually distinguishable in the marinade and you can pare it down pretty quick

I’m not sure I agree with this, I think you get a lot of depth from lots of different spices, and they all bring something to the party

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Best online vendor for dried porcini mushrooms? Afraid of how cheap some of them are on Amazon

try here:
https://purcellmountainfarms.com/search?type=product&q=porcini

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you actually have problems with heating up a pressure canner? I can get mine up to 15psi for canning normally-unsafe stuff on coils no problem.

I'm pretty sure most pressure canners aren't 5 gallons though

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

I’m not sure I agree with this, I think you get a lot of depth from lots of different spices, and they all bring something to the party

I'd agree in a cooked dish but in a pre-cooked marinade its less clear. Maybe my palette just isn't up to discerning as much.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

BrianBoitano posted:

Once the pressure equalizes (plus lag time for thermodynamics) , the temperature is close to the same everywhere. You only need a couple inches of water.

I've pressure cooked with a 22 qt pressure cooker on both electric and gas stoves.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I couldn't find a patisserie thread to post these in but these youtube videos are great and I want to make all this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6HGb6B1N_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHxqPZMKaB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j0q0quPMUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rCELhRoSP8

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Happiness Commando posted:

Once the pressure equalizes (plus lag time for thermodynamics) , the temperature is close to the same everywhere. You only need a couple inches of water.

I've pressure cooked with a 22 qt pressure cooker on both electric and gas stoves.

Ah, fair. You don't need to submerge the cans? That makes sense, since steam is a good conductor.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

BrianBoitano posted:

Now I'm really confused. I'm saying I can do that already fine on an electric coil burner with a 5-gallon All-American brand pressure canner. Are people somehow struggling to warm up smaller volumes or something?

Anyways, I did find an induction cooktop with a 65 lb weight limit and it apparently can regularly sustain that so I think that'll work for this situation.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Now I'm really confused. I'm saying I can do that already fine on an electric coil burner with a 5-gallon All-American brand pressure canner. Are people somehow struggling to warm up smaller volumes or something?

Anyways, I did find an induction cooktop with a 65 lb weight limit and it apparently can regularly sustain that so I think that'll work for this situation.

You can do just fine on an electric coil with a pressure canner.

DO NOT add a lot of water. Ideally you don't want any more than about an inch of water in the bottom of the canner. The steam is what does the heating, and having more water just leads to longer heat-up and cool-down periods between canning rounds. If you've got a 5-gal canner full of 5-gal of water, then it's going to take forever, but if you've got a quart in the bottom of the thing, then it'll take just a little longer to get up to temp than it would to boil a quart of water.

Most canners will have a "minimum fill" line etched into the metal, don't go much above that.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Thank you, I just ordered some porcini mushroom powder. What else can I do with this stuff besides season meat?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Trader Joe's sells a seasoning mix of mostly porcini powder, so you can google for that and find a million suggestions

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Put it on popcorn

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Thank you, I just ordered some porcini mushroom powder. What else can I do with this stuff besides season meat?

I like using a lot of powdered ingredients like that in compound butters that I then press into gimmick ice cube molds so that I can serve individual pats.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Weltlich posted:

You can do just fine on an electric coil with a pressure canner.

(etc)

Ahh I have a theory that the folks skeptical of it have only done hot water baths which would require loading the pot up.

Anyways, I found the induction cooktop that had the weight rating for half the price off of some Chinese website. So it'll show up within two months--after I have to get a new credit card due to the inevitable identity theft.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Someone give me a good mashed potato recipe that makes 1-2 portions. Just had a wisdom tooth removed and need some good (not too hot) soft foods.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Peel, cut up, and boil 1 large or 2 smaller potatoes. Mash with salt and pepper and butter.

Edit: you could do Joel Robuchons pommes puree where it's like a pound of potatoes and a half pound of butter mixed together.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 24, 2019

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The problem I've found with mashed potatoes is that what people want are what they grew up with. Well, except my wife whose mom would throw in a sweet potato and do other crazy stuff. Also, she kind of wants something more like creamed potatoes. Still, there are certain techniques that get you started and the rest can be done to your own personal tastes. Use russets or golds unless you want super chunky. In that case, use red. I recommend cutting the potatoes into medallions and then simmering them until you can run a fork through them effortless. However, that's more for getting them creamy. If you want lumpy, then you either something closer to al-dente or just start from red potatoes. Then you strain them bone-dry. That then gives you something that's hungry for dairy. I recommend using sour cream first but you want to store leftovers right away since some of them have active cultures and turn the whole mess sour on the countertop.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Oxyclean posted:

Someone give me a good mashed potato recipe that makes 1-2 portions. Just had a wisdom tooth removed and need some good (not too hot) soft foods.

Not potato, but savory oat bran is soft and can be really nice

• 120 grams oat bran (about 3/4 cup)
• 2 cups water
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• Black pepper, to taste

Combine everything in a heavy pan, bring to a simmer and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Top with a poached (or fried) egg, sliced green onion, soy sauce, and drizzle with a little toasted sesame oil or truffle oil. Add crushed hot pepper if you want some heat.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Also, make congee. It's the superior "I can't chew" food.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

I'm guessing you want something on the creamier side then. Here's a super simple version

Pot large enough to hold the potato and enough water to be 1" above the potato, and 1" below the lip of the pot
A colander
A mixing bowl (maybe)
An electric hand mixer

1 Russett Potato (in the 1lb range) (You can use other types of potato, but russets cream up nice and one is about what a person would want to eat at once)
3 Tbs Milk
1 Tbs butter
Salt
Pepper

Peel the potato, then slice into 1/4" rounds.
In the pot, add 1 TBS of salt, and bring it to a boil
Add in the potato and boil until a fork easily pierces the potato.
Drain the potato in the colander - DO NOT RINSE IT
If your pot is stainless steel or copper, you can put it right back in the pot. If not, transfer to a mixing bowl
Add in the milk and butter, and the pepper to taste, and hit it with a hand mixer. Go slow at first so you don't just throw potato chunks around the kitchen, then increase the speed to whip air into the mix.

If you want to get fancy, you can sub out the butter for sour cream, or cream cheese. Add in chives, rosemary, or any number of other herbs and spices. If you don't have an electric hand mixer, you can do it in a stand mixer, too. If you don't have either, then you can also do this by hand. Use a wooden spoon to mash up the potato chunks into a lumpy paste, then add in the milk and butter. Then start whisking it with a fork until it gets smooth. Once it gets smooth enough, you can use a whisk if you want it super silky, or just eat it as is.

I'd imagine with the wisdom tooth extraction, you're just looking for old fashioned comfort food, though. This should do it.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 24, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Weltlich posted:

I'd imagine with the wisdom tooth extraction, you're just looking for an old fashioned comfort food, though. This should do it.

:hmmyes:

1 teaspoon (5g) superfine sugar, toasted sugar, or 1 sugar cube

2 to 3 dashes bitters (Angostura is traditional and works well; Fee Brothers’ Whiskey Barrel-Aged Old Fashioned Bitters are better)

2 ounces (60ml) bourbon or rye whiskey

Orange and/or cocktail cherry, such as Luxardo to garnish (optional)

Combine whiskey, bitters, and sugar in a mixing glass. Add several large ice cubes and stir rapidly with a bar spoon to chill. Strain into a rocks glass with fresh ice. Garnish, if you like, with a slice of orange and/or a cherry

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

:hmmyes:

1 teaspoon (5g) superfine sugar, toasted sugar, or 1 sugar cube

2 to 3 dashes bitters (Angostura is traditional and works well; Fee Brothers’ Whiskey Barrel-Aged Old Fashioned Bitters are better)

2 ounces (60ml) bourbon or rye whiskey

Orange and/or cocktail cherry, such as Luxardo to garnish (optional)

Combine whiskey, bitters, and sugar in a mixing glass. Add several large ice cubes and stir rapidly with a bar spoon to chill. Strain into a rocks glass with fresh ice. Garnish, if you like, with a slice of orange and/or a cherry

Yussssss.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

it's tyool 2019, you can use simple syrup for convenience

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

it's tyool 2019, you can use simple syrup for convenience
Muddling the bitters with the sugar is how I measure the bitters. But I also think that most people make an old fashioned (or a Sazerac) with too little bitters.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

SubG posted:

Muddling the bitters with the sugar is how I measure the bitters. But I also think that most people make an old fashioned (or a Sazerac) with too little bitters.

:same:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought one of those stupid expensive Zojirushi things on Amazon when I was drunk and it showed up today are there any pro tips for one of these things? I'm currently doing jasmine rice with their recommended amount of water and "white rice - hard" mode because I'm gonna make fried rice with it and it seems like hard might be better than regular or soft and I wanted to try umami but figured I'll save that mode for later.

Can I use this thing like an instant pot since it can do high pressure?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Favorite chicken and dumplings recipes? Mostly just the dumplings really. I usually just basically make biscuit dough (Self rising flour, shortening, buttermilk) and work it some to make them a little tough and then roll real thin and cut, and they're fine and I like them but they don't quite have the bite or tooth I think I want. Should I just make pasta basically?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Weltlich posted:

I'm guessing you want something on the creamier side then. Here's a super simple version

Pot large enough to hold the potato and enough water to be 1" above the potato, and 1" below the lip of the pot
A colander
A mixing bowl (maybe)
An electric hand mixer

1 Russett Potato (in the 1lb range) (You can use other types of potato, but russets cream up nice and one is about what a person would want to eat at once)
3 Tbs Milk
1 Tbs butter
Salt
Pepper

Peel the potato, then slice into 1/4" rounds.
In the pot, add 1 TBS of salt, and bring it to a boil
Add in the potato and boil until a fork easily pierces the potato.
Drain the potato in the colander - DO NOT RINSE IT
If your pot is stainless steel or copper, you can put it right back in the pot. If not, transfer to a mixing bowl
Add in the milk and butter, and the pepper to taste, and hit it with a hand mixer. Go slow at first so you don't just throw potato chunks around the kitchen, then increase the speed to whip air into the mix.

If you want to get fancy, you can sub out the butter for sour cream, or cream cheese. Add in chives, rosemary, or any number of other herbs and spices. If you don't have an electric hand mixer, you can do it in a stand mixer, too. If you don't have either, then you can also do this by hand. Use a wooden spoon to mash up the potato chunks into a lumpy paste, then add in the milk and butter. Then start whisking it with a fork until it gets smooth. Once it gets smooth enough, you can use a whisk if you want it super silky, or just eat it as is.

I'd imagine with the wisdom tooth extraction, you're just looking for old fashioned comfort food, though. This should do it.
I ended up winging things a bit earlier on, but this wasn't too far off from what I ended up doing.

Did like 2 potatoes, 100ml milk, about a 1/3rd to 1/2 stick of butter, which is probably a lot but the recipe I was using as a kick-off point said like 2 sticks for 4 potatoes or something?

Only quartered the potatoes, just submerged with cold salty water brought to a boil, then another 20? Drained and sat aside to get the milk and butter (and some garlic powder) warmed/melted in the pan, added potatoes back and just kinda mashed and stirred a bit, hit with some salt and pepper. Came out pretty dang tasty (all that butter probably did it) certainly not perfectly smooth, but good enough.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bird with big dick posted:

I bought one of those stupid expensive Zojirushi things on Amazon when I was drunk and it showed up today are there any pro tips for one of these things? I'm currently doing jasmine rice with their recommended amount of water and "white rice - hard" mode because I'm gonna make fried rice with it and it seems like hard might be better than regular or soft and I wanted to try umami but figured I'll save that mode for later.

Can I use this thing like an instant pot since it can do high pressure?

Depends, which zojirushi?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

NP-NVC18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I've got the same cooker. Hello fellow drunk Amazon browser.

The pressure feature is pretty much limited to cooking rice and other grains a little bit more quickly than it would otherwise. The automatic blowoff is something ridiculously low like 2-3psi, where a real pressure cooker is up around 15psi.

e: On the upside, the GABA brown, sushi, and Umami settings make some of the most excellent rice you've ever had.

Totally Reasonable fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 25, 2019