Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

outer wilds is already out

Ps4 release tomorrow, i believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

As a former latte-maker I'm glad CIG has given us the gift of their deeply insane coffee instructions list that destroyed that guy's brain

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

It's just a birth year.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Hav posted:

Ps4 release tomorrow, i believe.

Outer Wilds is a different space game with space legs that came out earlier this year. I'd highly recommend it for people who read the Star Citizen thread. The game took the backer's fever dreams for 'exploration gameplay' and crafted a tight 10-20 hour single-player experience. You putter about in a tin can spaceship visiting fantastical worlds, doing some archaeology and piecing together a cosmic mystery.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Outer Wilds is in fact, actually, good. But only if you like exploration and puzzles spanning a tightly constructed toy solar system where almost everything has a purpose.

Star citizen on the other hand could fit the entire game inside its anus.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Rookersh posted:

Actual barista here. [With a lot of words to spare.]

Yeah I feel you. I care too much about coffee, and it's absolutely true that those instructions are backwards-rear end garbage.

I might argue that your specific numbers aren't particularly helpful to CIG, as the various brands and individual cafes I've worked for have all had different times and weights for a proper amount of espresso in varying volumes. As they've all been as Italian as cheeseburger pizza I'm not going to assume any of them knew some kind of secret to the perfect espresso shot and just say it varies, it's all a matter of taste with each I guess... But as you say they've got it completely wrong at CIG. They know there are variables, somewhere, but they've got them all upside down and don't know how any of them work.

That machine needs to be replaced with the sort of idiotproof superauto machine where you press the coffee button and coffee comes out. Yes they're expensive, yes they break down at times, yes they need maintenance that nobody ever does, but if anything that'll be more appropriate for the CIG style of development.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Outer Wilds is one of the best games ever made, if you read this thread and part of you is wistful Star Citizen will never exist then go play Outer Wilds.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/rolokipp/status/1187514123317153793

Organic outreach

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Rookersh posted:

Actual barista here. 10 years...

(Long Rant about the intricacies of Coffee that I don’t understand)

It’s only a tier 0 office coffee bar. It will become much more refined in further iterations but only if we never criticize it and continue to blindly throw money at CIG.

But anyway, I’ll take an iced almond milk mocha with an extra shot, and pour it in one of those adult sippy cups so I can save some hypothetical turtles, thanks.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 25, 2019

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

From political officer Lando's megaphone during CIG orientation:
The one with the keyboard models ships!
One out of two gets a keyboard!
The one without, follows him! When the one with the keyboard gets a real job, the one who is following picks up the keyboard and models ships!

underrated post

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Disagree strongly, but that may be because I'm like 2 months into my mission to play out all of Stalingrad and please send help I'm running out of rat meat.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Rookersh posted:

Actual barista here. 10 years, working in Seattle. So many loving thoughts on that goddamn tweet. So many I had to reactivate my loving account I'm so baffled by it.

First off, YOU SHOULD NEVER. EVER. CHANGE THE loving GRIND. You change the grind with temperature, not by "what kind of shot you want.". Consistency and quality are going to deviate depending on how much moisture is in the room, and what kind of temperature range you are in. "More like a Ristretto" and "more watery" are both loving absolute lies. You are saying switch from fine tasting coffee, to either a super acidic or super bitter cup which is nearly undrinkable. Even worse, it takes almost a straight minute of grinding to reset the grinders from where they were, so you are wasting tons of coffee here for no real reason. Sucks if you came behind "Ristretto" guy who just switched it to 20 and then pulled a normal cup, and you get his super fine pull he left for you.

You shouldn't be doing 1 or 2 shots off mug or cup. It's not size based! It's what you are grinding for. If you are grinding 20 grams you want 2 shots. If you are grinding 14/16 you want 1. If you want a single and it's set and dialed in for 20 grams, just pull a double and then DROP THE OTHER HALF OF THE SHOT. 20 grams pulled at 1 is going to be WAY DIFFERENT then 16 grams pulled at 1. Ahhhhhhhhhh. Also if you want a Ristretto, just pull a 20 gram shot for only 20 seconds or so, until the dark brown starts disappearing.

30 seconds or so? WHAT. Is this automatic or manual? If it's automatic, the average shot should be 27-29ish for a double, or less for a single. Are you pulling 30 second singles here? What the hell is going on.

Milk foam starts coalescing instantly. It's why baristas pull shot first, then start steaming, so the shot finishes as the milk finishes. That means you have the most glossy easy to pour milk and the foam works with here. Here you've left the milk to the side for a few minutes so it can all gather up on top and clump up, then you can pour only liquid through it.

Also like I've taught people milk theory, and it takes like a week of practice to stop completely blowing milk all over the room, getting nothing but foam, or scalding the milk. A happy go lucky printed guide.....isn't going to fix that. You've got literally two spots you can steam into, you need to have the tip just right, and you need to basically play a minigame to keep the tip in the right spots to get great milk. Anything else is watery, blownout, or scalded. I'm sure people are getting great coffee here. The whole point of steaming is to rip apart the proteins so they flood the milk with sugar. At this point you might as well just have them microwave their milk.

I have so many loving questions about this thing. Are they backflushing the machine? Beans are an organic material mixed with water, they can't just be sitting inside a machine or they'll start molding/rotting fast. You have to actually backflush the heads daily. Are they taking out the excess grinds at night? You can't just have a bag of beans sitting around overnight, because it attracts tons of bugs. Where is all the milk going? You can't just pour it down a drain, it'll clog the drain extremely quickly, milk grease is a thing. Are they purging the Steam wands with dairy puro every night? Even purged some milk will stick inside the wand, and it'll rot inside there if you don't clean it out.

Are they loving cleaning the grinders? Beans are covered in oil, they'll clog the grinders incredibly fast if people aren't cleaning them out.

I'm dying. Literally dying. I'm sure this isn't super unusual for most office jobs and nobody cleans this poo poo and it's all moldy rotten hellholes, but this, this I can challenge.

It's an alpha!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

Actual barista here. 10 years, working in Seattle. So many loving thoughts on that goddamn tweet. So many I had to reactivate my loving account I'm so baffled by it.

First off, YOU SHOULD NEVER. EVER. CHANGE THE loving GRIND. You change the grind with temperature, not by "what kind of shot you want.". Consistency and quality are going to deviate depending on how much moisture is in the room, and what kind of temperature range you are in. "More like a Ristretto" and "more watery" are both loving absolute lies. You are saying switch from fine tasting coffee, to either a super acidic or super bitter cup which is nearly undrinkable. Even worse, it takes almost a straight minute of grinding to reset the grinders from where they were, so you are wasting tons of coffee here for no real reason. Sucks if you came behind "Ristretto" guy who just switched it to 20 and then pulled a normal cup, and you get his super fine pull he left for you.

You shouldn't be doing 1 or 2 shots off mug or cup. It's not size based! It's what you are grinding for. If you are grinding 20 grams you want 2 shots. If you are grinding 14/16 you want 1. If you want a single and it's set and dialed in for 20 grams, just pull a double and then DROP THE OTHER HALF OF THE SHOT. 20 grams pulled at 1 is going to be WAY DIFFERENT then 16 grams pulled at 1. Ahhhhhhhhhh. Also if you want a Ristretto, just pull a 20 gram shot for only 20 seconds or so, until the dark brown starts disappearing.

30 seconds or so? WHAT. Is this automatic or manual? If it's automatic, the average shot should be 27-29ish for a double, or less for a single. Are you pulling 30 second singles here? What the hell is going on.

Milk foam starts coalescing instantly. It's why baristas pull shot first, then start steaming, so the shot finishes as the milk finishes. That means you have the most glossy easy to pour milk and the foam works with here. Here you've left the milk to the side for a few minutes so it can all gather up on top and clump up, then you can pour only liquid through it.

Also like I've taught people milk theory, and it takes like a week of practice to stop completely blowing milk all over the room, getting nothing but foam, or scalding the milk. A happy go lucky printed guide.....isn't going to fix that. You've got literally two spots you can steam into, you need to have the tip just right, and you need to basically play a minigame to keep the tip in the right spots to get great milk. Anything else is watery, blownout, or scalded. I'm sure people are getting great coffee here. The whole point of steaming is to rip apart the proteins so they flood the milk with sugar. At this point you might as well just have them microwave their milk.

I have so many loving questions about this thing. Are they backflushing the machine? Beans are an organic material mixed with water, they can't just be sitting inside a machine or they'll start molding/rotting fast. You have to actually backflush the heads daily. Are they taking out the excess grinds at night? You can't just have a bag of beans sitting around overnight, because it attracts tons of bugs. Where is all the milk going? You can't just pour it down a drain, it'll clog the drain extremely quickly, milk grease is a thing. Are they purging the Steam wands with dairy puro every night? Even purged some milk will stick inside the wand, and it'll rot inside there if you don't clean it out.

Are they loving cleaning the grinders? Beans are covered in oil, they'll clog the grinders incredibly fast if people aren't cleaning them out.

I'm dying. Literally dying. I'm sure this isn't super unusual for most office jobs and nobody cleans this poo poo and it's all moldy rotten hellholes, but this, this I can challenge.

I love you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Brb posting that rant on reddit to see how many armchair baristaboyz suddenly come out of the woodwork and explain to you in excruciating detail just how stupid and wrong you are about being a barista.

Guaranteed at least one person will have 11 years as a barista, while 2 others will tell you about how their experience was 100% different and 400% better.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Someone will have edited an ini file once and dispute all your points.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SoftNum posted:

what 142 people are liking this post?

Also who the gently caress was playin wing commander 2 on a computer that didn't have a 1.44 drive? (HD disc: 1987., WC2: 1991)

How to achieve at least a small measure of fame on the internet - obsess over something really fringe and trivial.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone ever see that Conan episode where Conan is giving Jordan Schlansky poo poo for his stupid espresso machine he bought, put near his office, printed instructions, and then kept the espresso machine language on Italian? It's hilarious and this is that.

Is that the one where he says:

To crush your beans, see them ground before you, and to hear the lamentations of their grinding!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Don't all dev shops have free coffee?

Yavuz
Oct 9, 2019

Star Citizen eschews microtransactions in favor of an innovative macrotransaction strategy, where players, aka suckers, aka whales, pay thousands of dollars for JPEGs.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

ONE IN THE PAAAARP FIVE BY FIVE

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheDarkFlame posted:

That machine needs to be replaced with the sort of idiotproof superauto machine where you press the coffee button and coffee comes out. Yes they're expensive, yes they break down at times, yes they need maintenance that nobody ever does, but if anything that'll be more appropriate for the CIG style of development.

Pfttt, we don't even need to press a button! You just pour the coffee from the jar into your cup. No maintenance either.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Rookersh posted:

CIG is hiring. Good money to be made and no results are expected.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I bet you could just serve them instant coffee and make real cups for management and be totally okay.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Agony Aunt posted:

I haven't worked for any company that didn't have free coffee and in my teens I worked at a rubbish tip.

I got a lot of grief for working there until my mates heard I was making 30 bucks an hour not including overtime. This was the 90's so pretty special. Probably more than CIG pays its devs now.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I have over 25 years of janitorial experience at a prestigious Fortune 500 company, and I’d like to post a lengthy critique of CIG’s space floor mopping animations. Also, that company happens to be Microsoft, so I have a lot to say about game development too...

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Zzr posted:

loving refundian, it's their fault if star citizen is poo poo.

Luckily there is a loophole.
You can absolve yourself.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

We call ourselves cuppers here. Good post.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Being honest, its more economically sound to get everyone a Starbucks card.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

no_recall posted:

Being honest, its more economically sound to get everyone a Starbucks card.

There's no way Star Citizen would be where it is today if they were concerned with trivial things like 'being economically sound'. You cant expect CIG to pump out literal code-perfection while drinking 'normie' coffee, silly FUDster!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Rookersh posted:

I just go by George Clooney Nespresso machines. Much like Citizens go by Mark Hamill twits. Hope that is ok.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Movie stuntman experience gonna come in handy when the Swedish mafia comes knocking the door.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

MedicineHut posted:

I just go by George Clooney Nespresso machines. Much like Citizens go by Mark Hamill twits. Hope that is ok.

Well the current coffee thread title is "Nespresso all the way for normies". So you're probably fine.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

This is basically me when CIG starts talking networks :D

TheAgent posted:

with that kinda experience you should apply for lead AI programmer at cloud imperium

Or at the very least do mocap for some in-game barista

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheDarkFlame posted:

How is the current $10k coffee machine not the most appropriate for CIG? It looks fancy, they are almost certainly using it completely wrong and they have mostly managed to make a huge mess of the area around it. It's like their CryEngine development in coffee form.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Well, nice to see some of them beginning to understand just how long this will take. I hope they are starting a fund as well for their future children so they can invest in the devleopment of SC when they grow up.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Rookersh posted:

Really good post. Although I think I understand most of it, I probably won't never have to apply this newfound knowledge to anything other than laugh at yet another one of CInotG's attempt to present itself as super-sophisticated while proving how clueless they are.

I have to admit though, I thought those instructions were about in-game baristas using a coffee maker in-verse as opposed to their office one. Still funny, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Agony Aunt posted:

Just like with everything else, they must make a great deal out of achieving something that other companies won't even bother mentioning.