Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

We are what we pretend to be

Yeah the game got me pretty good on this a couple times. I was like "what's the harm in playing along with this guy's racist poo poo if it means I get some info out of him?" and didn't even think about Kim standing right next to me. He had me clarify that I was just doing it to make the guy trust me, but I think he gave me a warning pretty similar to what you said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Davincie posted:

is there actually any known cut content besides the fact that espirit de corps was going to actually show other cops?

Nome that I know of. I don’t remember seeing anything in previews that didn’t make it in aside from the original name. I was looking at some alpha videos the other day and a lot of the dialogue was already recorded even.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The one issue I had with the endgame wrap-up was that I took one drink, one time, on like day 3, and the game treated it like I'd been stumbling through the entire week blind drunk. I already felt bad about taking that drink, Kim! And you weren't even there!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I've never seen any promo's with content that isn't in the game and I would have assumed the people that decompile games would have found any stuff still hidden in the game. I think they just overhyped their "YOU CAN BE ANYONE" marketing when its more like you can be anyone within the context of this fairly narrow story.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 25, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The game doesn't really come off as if a lot of content was cut, in fact it seems pretty planned out since it had to be to even make it work. It doesn't feel like there are dangling threads that should have connected to quests but don't, virtually all your actions are accounted for in some way and the narrative is relatively focused with no weird gaps where it feels like they originally intended for certain segments to be extended or have different segues, also no weird areas that feel like they should have a lot more significance or items that don't really have a purpose despite reading or appearing that they should.

A lot of the signs I associate with heavily cut content in RPGs aren't there.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I wouldn't be surprised if the esprit cut scenes weren't somewhat fleshed out and they just decided not to include them because shifting to a whole new scene because of a dialogue stat roll turned out to be jarring and awkward

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They fit perfectly as they are now, anyway.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm bad at karaoke

I reloaded to hear both versions and I actually think I preferred the failed version of karaoke to the success. Its more *raw*.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

It feels a lot like they may have intended you to have an actual party at some point in development but it got cut. A lot of stuff feels like it got cut, come to think of it; this game is great but it feels like you're playing the first act of a three-act or five-act story.

chaosapiant posted:

Nome that I know of. I don’t remember seeing anything in previews that didn’t make it in aside from the original name. I was looking at some alpha videos the other day and a lot of the dialogue was already recorded even.
At one point they wanted to try and get Lena to actually roll out with you, but the city design was already not very friendly to wheeled movement and then they had additional problems in getting her to play well with the mechanical aspect of the game movement (the invisible navmesh that allows for pathing), so that didn't make the cut. (Though to be fair, this one sounded a little more like "wouldn't it be cool if we could do this" than "this was something we planned from the project's inception and were forced to slash".)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I really liked this comment on the Disco reddit:

:3:

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

So, in the church:

Do you think when you amplified the swallow, you made it worse? There's a line about it being "made manifest", and we know that the swallow/hole was there for so long that the church might've been built around it.

And the world might end in just a few decades; is Harry, indeed, the Doomcop?

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

I love how it manages to cram all that party banter into a party that as far as I can tell never has more than two actual flesh-and-blood people in it.

It feels a lot like they may have intended you to have an actual party at some point in development but it got cut. A lot of stuff feels like it got cut, come to think of it; this game is great but it feels like you're playing the first act of a three-act or five-act story.

That is indie gaming for you, you need to pour blood ,sweat and soul in making the best game that 10 people can manage to make in 10 years, but it will always show that you did not have the budget and the manpower of a massive AAA project, even if you blow all of them out of the water in terms of polish and quality of the experience :(

But still the talking skills have always been a main pillar of this game, so they never cut any extra party member

Alpheratz fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 24, 2019

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Alpheratz posted:

That is indie gaming for you :(

Hope they crowdfund a sequel set in Jamrock :).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

A lot of stuff feels like it got cut, come to think of it; this game is great but it feels like you're playing the first act of a three-act or five-act story.

I didn't really feel that way at all--it's just a smaller-scale story. That doesn't mean it's an incomplete story.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

not an endorsement posted:

Hope they crowdfund a sequel set in Jamrock :).

Fall of the commune would be a better setting in my opinion. But I am also only a few hours in.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Hogama posted:

At one point they wanted to try and get Lena to actually roll out with you, but the city design was already not very friendly to wheeled movement and then they had additional problems in getting her to play well with the mechanical aspect of the game movement (the invisible navmesh that allows for pathing), so that didn't make the cut. (Though to be fair, this one sounded a little more like "wouldn't it be cool if we could do this" than "this was something we planned from the project's inception and were forced to slash".)

that's kind of funny that the in-game justification she gives for why she can't join you is also the actual real-world reason for why she can't join you

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You have become a flawless interlocking mechanism. A flesh and bone approximation of the throb coming from the speaker set up of the one called Egg Head. Entirely, rigidly imbecilic. Without pity or fear.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Alpheratz posted:

That is indie gaming for you, you need to pour blood ,sweat and soul in making the best game that 10 people can manage to make in 10 years, but it will always show that you did not have the budget and the manpower of a massive AAA project, even if you blow all of them out of the water in terms of polish and quality of the experience :(

But still the talking skills have always been a main pillar of this game, so they never cut any extra party member

Skills acquiring personas and becoming as they are now actually came about by accident, though pretty early in development cycle::

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/05/29/disco-elysium-rpg-details/ posted:

Kurvitz: So at first we had this dialogue card, which just came up and said “you’ve noticed this thing”. Then the second thing that happened was that we had this really cool concept artist who we thought was gonna do logos for the skills, but he bailed on us. So our main art director had to do us portraits, and he does human faces really well. So we thought, why don’t we give the skills portraits like human faces – not like “a gun with a circle around it”, but different facets of yourself. So when you start seeing that, you kind of have to start writing that as a character.

So now Drama is this kind of mad thespian, he’s like – (puts on amdram voice) “Why Sire, this is looking pretty bad for you. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to ally!”, and then Rhetoric became a bit of a liberal leftist kind of person, and then Endurance later on becomes a kind of fascist. Endurance is about your gut feeling, and your gut feeling is telling you “immigrants are bad for the economy.” (laughs).

So then we discovered that players have this really cool reaction to it: it felt so natural for them. Then we discovered that we can have one skill say something and another skill appear and say no, it isn’t like that! And then a third guy is like “No no, it isn’t like that at all!”, so we found we could really build up our narrators in that way.

As to the cut content, aside from the Lena thing (which is a wonderful bit of art imitating life) I'm not aware of anything else either. On the contrary, everything I've read throughout the years gave me the impression that the game expanded in length and scope from what they'd originally planned.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
well it says something about the quality of the experience they've made that my main criticism of it is that I want to play more of it

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The game doesn't really come off as if a lot of content was cut, in fact it seems pretty planned out since it had to be to even make it work. It doesn't feel like there are... items that don't really have a purpose despite reading or appearing that they should.

Which reminds me: anyone find a use for the sword yet?

Also, I just had a weird thought that maybe on my next play through I'd do just enough to make enough money to kill time until Wednesday and see if I can sequence break the game that way. See if you can get the keys to the shack before you even inspect the body and if that changes anything.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

I believe I had a bonus to a check for having it equipped while confronting Ruby.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Digital Osmosis posted:

think it can block a shot during the merc tribunal

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

well it says something about the quality of the experience they've made that my main criticism of it is that I want to play more of it

it's a really good game, and my criticisms really boil down to
1: I wish there was more of it
2: a couple of parts of the game are a little railroady and also locked behind failable checks, like the shivers check at Feld Electrical. If you just keep getting unlucky it can take forever. Everything that's really really important should have both A: a few different skill-based ways of doing it and B: a non-check based fallback that lets you get past it in a lovely way if you really just can't make it otherwise.
3: Considering how climactic and important the Tribunal is, there really should have been more to it. It essentially only has one outcome with the only thing you can affect being magnitude.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Just finished my first run at 35 hours, what a game.

How do I get the most out of my second run to differentiate it from the first? The first I went with the thinker dev archetype (5/1/2/4 + encyclopedia), and I don't think I had any loose ends. I think I'd be gimping myself too much by going 1 int or mot, so I was thinking 2/5/3/2 with maybe + perception, none of the fys stuff seems all that useful. Whats the thing that has your clothes talking to you? I had none of that in my run.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You should take a 6 Physical, specialize in Electrochem, and do everything he says.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

As much as I love the game, yeah the constant swapping does get a bit old to beat a skill check. It's like pre-3DS Ocarina of Time Water Temple iron boots swapping times a million.

the clothing system just needs an "optimize this stat" button

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

babypolis posted:

Pretty much, the inventory not having a sort option definitely added to the tedium.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They could at least sort the clothes by type.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Just finished my first run at 35 hours, what a game.

How do I get the most out of my second run to differentiate it from the first? The first I went with the thinker dev archetype (5/1/2/4 + encyclopedia), and I don't think I had any loose ends. I think I'd be gimping myself too much by going 1 int or mot, so I was thinking 2/5/3/2 with maybe + perception, none of the fys stuff seems all that useful. Whats the thing that has your clothes talking to you? I had none of that in my run.

1 mot isn't THAT bad because you can get a lot of Perception and Hand/Eye from thoughts. I had 1 MOT and I still ended the game with 11 perception and like 7 Hand/Eye, the game hands it out like candy. Interfacing, Composure, Reaction Speed and Savoir Faire are useful but you can live without them, and I also had a thought that had my Savoir cap at like 7 even though I didn't invest in it. Meanwhile my 1 Psy meant I never had anything over a 3 there. MOT is both the safest category and the one that's the easiest to compensate for having bad stats in because there are lots of really good thoughts for it.

in terms of FYS being useful: shivers is interesting, Physical Instrument comes up surprisingly often, and pain threshold and endurance are both reasonably helpful. Half-light seems to never, ever come up and Electrochemistry actively gives you bad advice, as a joke.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
haven't figured out how to get the body out of the tree yet but i am very close to catching an unrelated ghost

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

babypolis posted:

it needs the exact opposite: your clothes are all in a suitcase in your room and you decide what to wear at the beginning of the day, and can't change other than a one-time opportunity to put on new clothes that you find on the spot.

changing your clothes every time you try and make a check actively makes the game worse and should be discouraged

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I frequently just didn't bother changing clothes unless I really wanted to make a check because its inconvenient so it doesn't seem like that would be much worse tbh. The clothes system feels like an afterthought because there isn't really a ton of variety for some kinds of clothes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I only started clothes swapping lately, 25 hours in, because I've got a feel now for when I need to pass a check to advance or when the result is gonna be good one way or the other and so I don't care

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Just finished this, and I'm now in the bad place where everything else I play will feel comparatively bad for a while. This was loving amazing, even the pseudo-spoiler I accidentally stumbled over early on couldn't ruin this.
As with all first playthroughs of RPGs, I played myself, or at least the way I see myself (Sorry Empathy Cop, big surprise), and the way Empathy, Drama, and Suggestion talked to me was startlingly *real* a couple of times, in a way that almost freaked me out a bit, in a paranoid sense.

Massive endgame spoilers: The whole Dora/Dolores confrontation just loving wrecked me. It's far from a unique experience, but the way it's written, how it mingles the specifics of Harry's story with universal truths about being a sorry gently caress, combined with the fact that you're playing it, was almost a bit much in how it nailed the exact specifics of my feelings regarding my version of the situation. There were a lot of skill checks I mulled over for quite a while, thinking about whether I should even attempt them, but the Kiss Her check was the worst. In the end I did it, hoping to fail, because I knew what was going to happen, I succeeded, and it was horrible. I'm getting choked up just thinking about it.

I've played a lot of great games this year, but none have made me feel anything even remotely comparable to that, and it needed to be a game for that effect. Even without that specific example though, this is a loving masterpiece that lives up to every bit of hype surrounding it. Its flaws pale in comparison to the monumental accomplishment the whole package is, especially compared to anything else on the market today. Now to let some time pass and forget some specifics, and roll through the game as a **SUPERSTAR**

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

actually that's a lie because after one optimizing I realized I was wearing those thick nerd glasses, a bow tie, and a mesh tank top and decided that this is who I am now

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Schurik posted:

Just finished this, and I'm now in the bad place where everything else I play will feel comparatively bad for a while. This was loving amazing, even the pseudo-spoiler I accidentally stumbled over early on couldn't ruin this.
As with all first playthroughs of RPGs, I played myself, or at least the way I see myself (Sorry Empathy Cop, big surprise), and the way Empathy, Drama, and Suggestion talked to me was startlingly *real* a couple of times, in a way that almost freaked me out a bit, in a paranoid sense.

Massive endgame spoilers: The whole Dora/Dolores confrontation just loving wrecked me. It's far from a unique experience, but the way it's written, how it mingles the specifics of Harry's story with universal truths about being a sorry gently caress, combined with the fact that you're playing it, was almost a bit much in how it nailed the exact specifics of my feelings regarding my version of the situation. There were a lot of skill checks I mulled over for quite a while, thinking about whether I should even attempt them, but the Kiss Her check was the worst. In the end I did it, hoping to fail, because I knew what was going to happen, I succeeded, and it was horrible. I'm getting choked up just thinking about it.

I've played a lot of great games this year, but none have made me feel anything even remotely comparable to that, and it needed to be a game for that effect. Even without that specific example though, this is a loving masterpiece that lives up to every bit of hype surrounding it. Its flaws pale in comparison to the monumental accomplishment the whole package is, especially compared to anything else on the market today. Now to let some time pass and forget some specifics, and roll through the game as a **SUPERSTAR**

a high empathy run is a great way to get punched in the gut couple times

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I picked the clothes I liked and stuck with them forever. I can't imagine how annoying it would have been to change them for every check, or how mood-ruining it would have been for me to constantly cycle through a variety of horrible mishmash appearances. I optimized my clothes for something once, to see the good version of Karaoke out of curiosity, and the result was Harry getting onstage wearing a sex kimono, a mesh tank top, jeans, army boots, fingerless gloves, a bowtie and an asian cone hat

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wish to hell they sold a soundtrack because I'd buy it in an instant.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Night10194 posted:

I wish to hell they sold a soundtrack because I'd buy it in an instant.

there's probably quite a few people with 100+ hour playtimes from leaving it open so the music plays lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hungry Computer posted:

You have to be really careful with editing the stats. Adding skill points is probably the safest option. Putting any of the 4 core stats above 6 will cause the game to crash when a roll happens. Messing with modifiers for skills can cause the save to either not load, or a crash when rolling.

If you really want to cheat Cheat Engine is probably the safest route. There are scripts on the cheat engine forums that make it quite easy. Even then you have to be careful. Using cheat engine to put the core stats over 6 will still cause crashes.

Not my experience re stats. I've had 9s for my second playthrough, am near the end, and have had 0 crashes